Old 02-10-2014, 06:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Best of both worlds.

"Todd" wrote in message
On 10/01/2014 04:59 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
: On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
: Hi Ian,

: Metformin is nasty stuff. Makes your hair fall out, gives you
: (sometimes permanent) insomnia, skin spots, and worst of all,
: it makes you paranoid delusional. Yep everybody is picking
: on you! It also has a rebound effect. When I initially went
: drug free, each time I backed off on the dosage of Metformin,
: my blood sugar went down. I also had to do A LOT of apologizing
: to people I lashed out at. Fortunately, they all forgave me.

I find this strange as I have been on Metformin now for some 17-18 years
with none of the effects you, tidd, have experienced. I will grant that
some peol ehave bad results with different drugs, but one's own personal
bad experience may well NOT be universal. If a drug causes problems for
you you you should no be taking it, but that does nt mean that other folk
should stop taking it if it works adn does not cause them your smptoms.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,
The depression (crabbiness) and delusional paranoia creep up on you.

That isn't the Metformin - its the lack of some other drug that you *SHOULD*
be taking.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
On Wed, 1 Oct 2014 23:35:57 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message
. ..

Todd wrote:
: On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
:
:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

You may not be aware of it. I certainly was not aware of it until
I got off it. I truly though everyone was picking on me. When
I got off it, oh boy, did I have a lot of apologizing to do.
You have shown signs of the crabbiness to me in the past. The
way you can figure it out is to ask someone close to you that you
can trust to give you the unvarnished truth if you have become
a crabass.

People that can not longer sleep had it sneak up on them too.
They have said in blogs they never recovered and were not
able to sleep again.

And don't forget the rebound effect. Met is an allopathic drug,
meaning it is a controlled dosage of a poison meant to cause
a desired reaction. This can save your life. But over the long run,
your body will rebound to it. My blood sugar dropped each time
I backed off on the stuff.

You have been on Met for a long time and know how to cook
low(er) carb. You may be healed by now and not need it. If
you get off it to see, be careful when the "dark curtain" lifts.
You might suddenly start enjoying things and people around you.

:-)

-T

What a piece of work you are.

Yes he is. And here I thought he had left.

I know. Too bad he came back. Anyone who disagrees with him is
either killfiled,

Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
self-limiting.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
: Todd wrote:
: : On 10/01/2014 11:10 AM, Ian Field wrote:
: :
: :
: : "Todd" wrote in message
: : ...
[...]

: :-)

: -T

I am not regarded as a crabby person and at 78 am active and happy,
having
adjusted to the loss of my husban now 4 years ago. Healed I am not and
was off the Met for a few weeks this summer when Ihad a stomach upset
that
was not severe, but was prolonged. I was taken off pretty much al my Met
adn was also eating remarkably little, so little that I lost 15 lbs in a
few week(3-4) I am now back onthe Met and am tryign to maintain the
weight loss which was the first time since my big weigt oss of 30 years
ago, thata I have moved below the weight I attained then. So fa I am
fairly successful, bu , of couse, it requires daily weighing of me to not
let a small gain turn into a large one. Unfortuantley m appetite is
back.

Sounds like you have it in hand.

How was your blood sugar when you were off Met for a week?

You, as poster, take quate a strong view adn express it strongly, making
sound like you are the only one who has the right way. We all find
different ways to control our diabtese and enjoy sharing ideas jus like
recipes, but not being told that "I am the way adn you are stupid if you
don't follow me and are damned to diabetic failure if you don't accept my
views." You may not be aware of it, but this is how you come off. You
have found wht works for YOU adn many of us gave you all kinds of recipes
and cookign methods to get you to where you wanted to be. I am glad we
were able to help, but remeber, to disgree wit you in a polite way is not
crabbiness. I eat quite low car,or what I call moderate carb of 60-100
grams a day adn it works for me as it has for more than 30 years, the
last
17 or so on Metformin. That is what we mean by YMMV or "your mileeage
may
vary."

Wendy,

To be quite blunt, no I do not. This is in your own mind.
Making things up and putting words into my mouth is not
politely disagreeing with me.

From what I've seen so far, that's pretty much you!

Old 02-10-2014, 06:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Dear Todd. Sorry for the top post here but you are having delusions. It
wasn't the Metformin. Seek help!

A quick search for; "antipsychotics" came up with Olanzepine, and a couple
of others I couldn't pronounce.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ian Field" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message
On 09/30/2014 08:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
diabetic recipes.

Maybe if enough people asked, they'd do something about it.

Hi Ian,

The following would help in answering your question

What kind of Diabetes do you have?

How have you decided to deal with it?
--- High carb (red beans) and drugs, or
--- low carb and drug free

The cost of food is a big issue while we endure austerity so the Tories
can line the offshore bank accounts of their fatcat chums.

Its T2 controlled by Metformin, sort of a fine balance with the threat of
insulin never too far away!

Red beans were just an example of the basics from the local Asian food
market - the beans would have to be boiled until all the froth had been
scooped off, not really practical in a microwave.

I don't know what country you're in, but do you have canned beans there?
They are really not that much more expensive than dried. Can you get
fresh beans? I can't here. Since you have an Asian store, can you get
bean sprouts?

Generally I go in there mostly for spices, they're a *LOT* cheaper than
"name brand" little jars, usually I only notice odd items of food that I
think would work out a huge saving if I knew how to prepare it.

Maybe as much as 1/4 of their stock is dried beans & pulses etc. A lot of
the (presumably vegetables of some sort) I don't even know what they're
called.

Old 02-10-2014, 07:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Don Roberto" wrote in message
On 9/30/2014 8:56 AM, Ian Field wrote:
Are there any recipes about for food that's cheaper than ready meals,
but can still be done in the microwave?

Probably not practical to boil the froth out of red beans in a
microwave, but that general direction of food preparation.

The BBC website has a recipe section - but last time I looked there, no
diabetic recipes.

Use your imagination: Improvise! Then check with your meter.

As a non-insulin T2, the NHS won't give me a meter, so I'd have to buy one.

Actually, I got a couple of meters from my salvage interests - but never
quite organised an expedition to buy some strips.

Last time I had a scheduled blood test I was a bit over, they increased my
Metformin and re-tested. The results of that declared my blood sugar "under
control".

Old 02-10-2014, 07:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/02/2014 10:51 AM, Ian Field wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Dear Todd. Sorry for the top post here but you are having delusions.
It wasn't the Metformin. Seek help!

A quick search for; "antipsychotics" came up with Olanzepine, and a
couple of others I couldn't pronounce.

Hi Ian,

You are showing signs of the Chemical Haze I am referring to.
You need to ask someone you know and trust to tell you
the truth if your behavior has changed. You can't tell on
your own.

Speaking of friends: there are three types.

1) those who won't tell you your fly is unzipped

2) those that will

3) those that won't tell you, but will tell everyone
else in the room.

Did I make you chuckle? If not, seek out a #2 and
ask him if you have changed.

You seriously think EVERYONE is picking on you. All
those Tories are out to get you! And your sense of humor
is a thing of the past.

-T
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/02/2014 11:06 AM, Ian Field wrote:

[...]

Sounds like you are on track.

Have you though of backing off on the carbs and see if your
blood sugar goes down?

Here in the States, Walmart has great prices on meters and
supplies.

How did they test your blood sugar? Meter? A1c? Fructosamine?
The A1c is really sloppy. Off by about +- 25%. (I will
provide a paper on that to who ever asks nicely.)

-T

Old 02-10-2014, 08:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

I wouldn't quite say that you've lost your marbles - but there's definitely
a hole in the bag!

Old 02-10-2014, 08:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 10/02/2014 10:47 AM, Ian Field wrote:
I know. Too bad he came back. Anyone who disagrees with him is
either killfiled,

Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
self-limiting.

Hi Ian,

********.

People disagree with me all the time and I don't kill file
them. I love to learn other viewpoints. You and me are
on opposite sides of the political spectrum. Have I
killfiled you?

I only kill file someone when you don't act like a
gentleman or lady.

Hmmmmm. "Attitude problem". Perhaps this is the Meformin
speaking? Are you still able to sleep? Any weird spots on
your skin yet? Hair start falling out? Think people are
picking on you? Those Tories seem to be hating poor folks
more and more every day?

I had no clue I was acting this way under Met. I
did not believe for one minute that it was all
of my own doing when others around me complained
about me. I was a classic Met Head

-T

Old 02-10-2014, 08:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:47:07 +0100, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Snipped for brevity.

Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
self-limiting.

I understand that. I didn't think I had an attitude. The thing is,
this is a discussion group and people do have differing opinions. To
simply killfile someone for disagreeing is rather childish.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Can we say "chemical haze"?

Notice not one insult out of me in this conversation? Seriously,
this may be the Metformin speaking and not you. I do hope
so and you are not like this normally.

Before I got off of Met, I would have flew off the handle. Kind
of like you are doing now.

-T
Old 02-10-2014, 08:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message
[...]

Back on topic. Try freezing thing up one day a week. Then
microwaving them in place of fast food.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Oct 2014 18:47:07 +0100, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ian Field"
wrote:

Snipped for brevity.

Well; that's one way that people with an attitude problem can be
self-limiting.

I understand that. I didn't think I had an attitude. The thing is,
this is a discussion group and people do have differing opinions. To
simply killfile someone for disagreeing is rather childish.

But life is so much easier when someone with objectionable opinions
killfiles, then they don't see your posts and consequently leave you in
peace.

Old 02-10-2014, 08:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"BjørnSteensrud" wrote in message
Todd wrote:

[...]

This is why I think you are being effected by Metformin.
You must rely on others who will be honest with you as to
your behavior and if your personality has changed. You
can not judge it for yourself. Under Met, your internal
jerk meter is too screwed up for you to be able to tell.
Your are under a Chemical Haze.

Now I never knew you before Metformin, so you may be this
way naturally. But I have to say, the jumping to conclusions,
flying off the handle, reading negative motives into things
that are innocuous is exactly what a Met Head acts like.

So I vote 1+ for Metforming induces crabbiness.

-T

Todd,

Please go back over this thread and read carefully - several times
if necessary. You should be able to see that Wendy is correct.
You DO come across the way she describes it. You and she may be
"separated by a common language", and I'm not even a native speaker of
that
language, but I have known Wendy on the DM groups for about five years
and crabby she is not. I have experience with others (in person) on
Metformin and have never noticed any of the symptoms you describe so
vividly.

Oh, and I'm on glimepiride, reduced carb and increased exercise.

One more thing comes to mind - you have a microwave but no oven.

I'd be happy to show Todd how to bypass the door interlocks on a microwave
so he can turn it on with his head in it.

But seriously - I had a tabletop oven with rings on the top till the
thermostat contacts welded. I have salvaged a combo microwave/grill that
only needs very minor repair - but being a tightwad, I prefer to finish
wearing out the old microwave before swapping over.