Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Brussels Sprouts and Bratwurst anyone?

Ingredients per person:
a) 1 good size (4-6 oz) Bratwurst
b) less than a dozen but more than half a dozen Brussels Sprouts
c) Butter
d) Salt
e) Itsy, bitsy bits of raw garlic or garlic powder

Instructions:

Put Brussels Sprouts on cutting board. Clean them.
Put knife into Brussels Sprouts - lengthwise.
Put garlic and salt on flat sides of Brussels Sprouts halves.
Put some butter into frying pan.
Put pan on stove.
Put stove on low. When butter has melted
Put Bratwurst into pan. Swirl wurst to spread butter evenly.
Put Brussels Sprouts halves around the Bratwurst. Flat sides down.
Put lid on pan.
Put timer on 15-20 minutes. *Then*
Put your fingers onto the lid and take it off the pan.
Put spatula to Brussels Sprouts. Turn them.
Put a little more garlic on the Brussels Sprouts.
Put a little more butter in pan if needed.
Put lid back on on pan.
Put timer on 15-20 minutes. *Then*
Put finished Bratwurst with Brussels Sprouts on plate.
Put plate town on table.
Put butt in chair.
Put Bratwurst *and* Brussels Sprouts away.

Bon Appétit!

---

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/29/2014 06:20 PM, wrote:
> Ingredients per person:
> a) 1 good size (4-6 oz) Bratwurst
> b) less than a dozen but more than half a dozen Brussels Sprouts
> c) Butter
> d) Salt
> e) Itsy, bitsy bits of raw garlic or garlic powder
>
> Instructions:
>
> Put Brussels Sprouts on cutting board. Clean them.
> Put knife into Brussels Sprouts - lengthwise.
> Put garlic and salt on flat sides of Brussels Sprouts halves.
> Put some butter into frying pan.
> Put pan on stove.
> Put stove on low. When butter has melted
> Put Bratwurst into pan. Swirl wurst to spread butter evenly.
> Put Brussels Sprouts halves around the Bratwurst. Flat sides down.
> Put lid on pan.
> Put timer on 15-20 minutes. *Then*
> Put your fingers onto the lid and take it off the pan.
> Put spatula to Brussels Sprouts. Turn them.
> Put a little more garlic on the Brussels Sprouts.
> Put a little more butter in pan if needed.
> Put lid back on on pan.
> Put timer on 15-20 minutes. *Then*
> Put finished Bratwurst with Brussels Sprouts on plate.
> Put plate town on table.
> Put butt in chair.
> Put Bratwurst *and* Brussels Sprouts away.
>
> Bon Appétit!

Hi Immaoana,,
Sounds really good! Thank you for sharing.

Since stationed in Germany in the 70's, I haven't
been able to stand American Brats. Who/where do you
get yours from?

-T

Germans had Brat stands outside our bases. Grease
and culinary heaven! I think the Brats were made
fresh that day. Add a little sauerkraut and that
special German mustard, oh my ...

"Itsy, bitsy bits of raw garlic or garlic powder"?
Tell me it isn't true! There is no such thing as too
much Garlic! :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

http://www.alpinevillagecenter.com/m...erman-sausage/

> -T
>
> Germans had Brat stands outside our bases. Grease
> and culinary heaven! I think the Brats were made
> fresh that day. Add a little sauerkraut and that
> special German mustard, oh my ...
>
> "Itsy, bitsy bits of raw garlic or garlic powder"?
> Tell me it isn't true! There is no such thing as too
> much Garlic! :-)

You are right.
I should have written LOTS OF "itsy, bitsy bits of raw garlic".

Lively group you got here :-(

---

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/01/2014 01:52 AM, wrote:
> On 4/30/2014 12:53 PM, Todd wrote:
>
>> Since stationed in Germany in the 70's, I haven't
>> been able to stand American Brats. Who/where do you
>> get yours from?

http://www.alpinevillagecenter.com/m...erman-sausage/

I think the problem is that it has to be made fresh.

>> -T
>>
>> Germans had Brat stands outside our bases. Grease
>> and culinary heaven! I think the Brats were made
>> fresh that day. Add a little sauerkraut and that
>> special German mustard, oh my ...
>>
>> "Itsy, bitsy bits of raw garlic or garlic powder"?
>> Tell me it isn't true! There is no such thing as too
>> much Garlic! :-)
>>

> You are right.
> I should have written LOTS OF "itsy, bitsy bits of raw garlic".
>
> Lively group you got here :-(

This group is pretty low volume.

These guys are much more verbose:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/forum7.html

They are Paleo, so not targeted directly at
Diabetics, but a lot of Diabetics are Paloe,
such as myself. It gets you to drug free pretty
quickly.

Here is a famous drug free Diabetic Paleo:
Diabetes Management from a Paleolithic Perspective
http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/

Here is his before and after:
http://www.diabetes-warrior.net/about-me-and-diabetes/

If drugs and carbs are the route you have decided
to go, the American Diabetes Association has
a lively cooking group, but they are way, way too high
carb for me -- I'd start losing body parts!

I love your recipe. Maybe I will try Trader Joe's
Brats again. Stopped last year as the meat tasted
a bit off (rancid) to me. We have a local sausage
factory that does the fresh, but they cram them full
of chemicals -- MSG, Nitrates, etc.. (Paleo's go for
home grown, local grown, organic, and/or as natural
as you can get it without obsessing on it.)

Welcome to the group. Maybe I will see you on the
Paleo groups as well. Let me know if you need to know
the herbs for T2, I have a list. Won't help you
though, if you are not low carb.

-T

Funny story: I washed my Brussels sprouts frying them.
They exploded all over my kitchen! You live and learn!
(You also grab a lid really quickly.)

Brussels sprouts Nick Cramer Diabetic 3 07-01-2010 03:16 AM
brussels sprouts bulka[_2_] General Cooking 5 08-02-2009 06:47 PM
Brussels Sprouts ravenlynne[_4_] General Cooking 48 24-12-2008 06:15 PM