FoodBanter.com

-   -   Super Bowl Menus? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/427362-super-bowl-menus.html)

Cheri[_3_] 28-01-2014 03:07 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal, just
snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has something
a bit different to add.

Cheri

W. Baker 28-01-2014 04:13 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

Cheri > wrote:

: Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal, just
: snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has something
: a bit different to add.

: Cheri

I like to put out celery stalks or pieces as bay carrots with assorted
dips that can be fairly low carb, cheese stuff, fish dips, etc all work
well either stuffed into the stalks or served in a bowl(not necessarily a
super bowl) and just dipped out of it.

Wendy

Ozgirl 28-01-2014 05:13 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"W. Baker" wrote in message ...

Cheri > wrote:

: Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal,
just
: snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has
something
: a bit different to add.

: Cheri

I like to put out celery stalks or pieces as bay carrots with assorted
dips that can be fairly low carb, cheese stuff, fish dips, etc all work
well either stuffed into the stalks or served in a bowl(not necessarily
super bowl) and just dipped out of it.

Wendy

------------------
All weekend I have been eating celery sticks, lol. Dipped into dips,
filled with peanut butter, crab meat or cottage cheese.

Karen[_11_] 28-01-2014 05:55 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:07:34 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal, just
>snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has something
>a bit different to add.
>
>Cheri

Not really different, but you can't go wrong with crudite's and
hummus.

Cheri[_3_] 28-01-2014 05:55 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Cheri > wrote:
>

> : Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal,
> just
> : snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has
> something
> : a bit different to add.
>
> : Cheri
>
> I like to put out celery stalks or pieces as bay carrots with assorted
> dips that can be fairly low carb, cheese stuff, fish dips, etc all work
> well either stuffed into the stalks or served in a bowl(not necessarily a
> super bowl) and just dipped out of it.
>
> Wendy

That sounds good. I haven't had stuffed celery for awhile. Thanks.

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 28-01-2014 06:18 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:07:34 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>

>>Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal, just
>>snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has
>>something
>>a bit different to add.
>>
>>Cheri

> Not really different, but you can't go wrong with crudite's and
> hummus.

Thanks for the suggestion. It made me look for a lower carb hummus and I
found this which I think I will try.

4 cups peeled & chopped raw zucchini

3/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)

1/2 cup fresh lemon juice

1/4 cup olive oil

4 cloves of garlic, peeled

2 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste)

1 TBS ground cumin

Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until thick and smooth.
Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Pour into a shallow bowl
and garnish with parsley, paprika and a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
Enjoy! Approximately 2.5 g net carbs per 2 Tablespoon serving

Karen[_11_] 28-01-2014 03:38 PM

Super Bowl Menus?

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:18:53 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:07:34 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
>> > wrote:
>>

>>>Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal, just
>>>snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has
>>>something
>>>a bit different to add.
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> Not really different, but you can't go wrong with crudite's and
>> hummus.

>Thanks for the suggestion. It made me look for a lower carb hummus and I
>found this which I think I will try.
>
>4 cups peeled & chopped raw zucchini
>
>3/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
>
>1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
>
>1/4 cup olive oil
>
>4 cloves of garlic, peeled
>
>2 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste)
>
>1 TBS ground cumin
>

>Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until thick and smooth.
>Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Pour into a shallow bowl
>and garnish with parsley, paprika and a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
>Enjoy! Approximately 2.5 g net carbs per 2 Tablespoon serving

Thanks. That does sound good and is definitely lower carb than the
standard hummus recipe. I really do love the flavor of cumin too. We
won't be watching the game here (not football fans here) but I like
having snacks available so will probably make this anyway. :-)
Karen

Cheri[_3_] 28-01-2014 05:28 PM

Super Bowl Menus?

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 21:18:53 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Karen" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 18:07:34 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"

>>> Not really different, but you can't go wrong with crudite's and
>>> hummus.

>>Thanks for the suggestion. It made me look for a lower carb hummus and I
>>found this which I think I will try.
>>
>>4 cups peeled & chopped raw zucchini
>>
>>3/4 cup tahini (sesame paste)
>>
>>1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
>>
>>1/4 cup olive oil
>>
>>4 cloves of garlic, peeled
>>
>>2 teaspoons kosher salt (or to taste)
>>
>>1 TBS ground cumin
>>

>>Combine all ingredients in a blender and puree until thick and smooth.
>>Taste and adjust seasonings to your preference. Pour into a shallow bowl
>>and garnish with parsley, paprika and a drizzle of olive oil if desired.
>>Enjoy! Approximately 2.5 g net carbs per 2 Tablespoon serving
>>

> Thanks. That does sound good and is definitely lower carb than the
> standard hummus recipe. I really do love the flavor of cumin too. We
> won't be watching the game here (not football fans here) but I like
> having snacks available so will probably make this anyway. :-)
> Karen

Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did find
that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like apples
than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
hummus without your suggestion though. :-)

Cheri

KROM 28-01-2014 07:53 PM

Super Bowl Menus?

I like pork skins with a variety of dips instead of chips.

I also tolerate popcorn very well

so those are my two go to game snacks for a crowd

KROM

Karen[_11_] 29-01-2014 12:22 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:28:25 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>> Thanks. That does sound good and is definitely lower carb than the
>> standard hummus recipe. I really do love the flavor of cumin too. We
>> won't be watching the game here (not football fans here) but I like
>> having snacks available so will probably make this anyway. :-)
>> Karen

>Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did find
>that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like apples
>than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
>hummus without your suggestion though. :-)
>
>Cheri

`
I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
Karen

Cheri[_3_] 29-01-2014 01:15 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:28:25 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Thanks. That does sound good and is definitely lower carb than the
>>> standard hummus recipe. I really do love the flavor of cumin too. We
>>> won't be watching the game here (not football fans here) but I like
>>> having snacks available so will probably make this anyway. :-)
>>> Karen

>>Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did
>>find
>>that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like
>>apples
>>than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
>>hummus without your suggestion though. :-)
>>
>>Cheri

> `
> I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
> next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
> types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
> sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
> Karen

Yes, Chayote can be used just like zucchini for au gratins, quiches etc. I
like to cook it, then throw it in the blender, add cinnamon and artificial
sweetener to taste and eat it like applesauce when I want something sweet.
It really does taste like applesauce, if you like applesauce. It can be used
in the place of apples in just about any recipe because anything you can do
with apples you can pretty much do with chayote as far as cooking goes,
grabbing one and eating it raw like you would an apple is not an option
though. ;-)

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 29-01-2014 01:16 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
>I like pork skins with a variety of dips instead of chips.
>
> I also tolerate popcorn very well
>
> so those are my two go to game snacks for a crowd

I don't really tolerate popcorn well anymore. I usually have pork rinds
around, but am a bit tired of them.

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 29-01-2014 01:35 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:28:25 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>
>>> Thanks. That does sound good and is definitely lower carb than the
>>> standard hummus recipe. I really do love the flavor of cumin too. We
>>> won't be watching the game here (not football fans here) but I like
>>> having snacks available so will probably make this anyway. :-)
>>> Karen

>>Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did
>>find
>>that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like
>>apples
>>than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
>>hummus without your suggestion though. :-)
>>
>>Cheri

> `
> I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
> next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
> types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
> sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
> Karen

I used Ozgirl's method so it was like apple pie filling. Only ever made it
twice. Although we did like it, I'm not a dessert person at all.

Ozgirl 29-01-2014 03:54 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

`
I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
Karen

-----------------

Apple Crumble ;) Use ground (not too fine) almonds in place of normal
crumble ingredient. Nice warm with dollop cream.

Karen[_11_] 29-01-2014 05:05 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:15:10 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did
>>>find
>>>that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like
>>>apples
>>>than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
>>>hummus without your suggestion though. :-)
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> `
>> I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
>> next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
>> types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
>> sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
>> Karen

>Yes, Chayote can be used just like zucchini for au gratins, quiches etc. I
>like to cook it, then throw it in the blender, add cinnamon and artificial
>sweetener to taste and eat it like applesauce when I want something sweet.
>It really does taste like applesauce, if you like applesauce. It can be used
>in the place of apples in just about any recipe because anything you can do
>with apples you can pretty much do with chayote as far as cooking goes,
>grabbing one and eating it raw like you would an apple is not an option
>though. ;-)
>
>Cheri

Interesting. I went over the wikipedia and looked it up. I guess I
have seen these at the local Raley's and Save Mart stores. I just
never knew what to do with it. I like to try new veggies so this
will be on the grocery list this week. Thank you.
Karen

Karen[_11_] 29-01-2014 05:06 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:35:19 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Karen" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did
>>>find
>>>that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like
>>>apples
>>>than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
>>>hummus without your suggestion though. :-)
>>>
>>>Cheri

>> `
>> I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
>> next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
>> types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
>> sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
>> Karen

>I used Ozgirl's method so it was like apple pie filling. Only ever made it
>twice. Although we did like it, I'm not a dessert person at all.

Thank you.

Karen[_11_] 29-01-2014 05:11 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 12:54:57 +1000, in alt.food.diabetic, "Ozgirl"
> wrote:

>"Karen" wrote in message
.. .

>On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:28:25 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:
>
>>> Thanks. That does sound good and is definitely lower carb than the
>>> standard hummus recipe. I really do love the flavor of cumin too.
>>> We
>>> won't be watching the game here (not football fans here) but I like
>>> having snacks available so will probably make this anyway. :-)
>>> Karen

>>Yes, I am going to try it since some recipes can sub quite well. I did
>>find
>>that with Chayote Squash in place of apples, it tastes much more like
>>apples
>>than even zucchini does in dessert recipes. I wouldn't have thought of
>>hummus without your suggestion though. :-)
>>
>>Cheri

>`
>I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
>next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
>types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
>sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
>Karen
>
>-----------------
>
>Apple Crumble ;) Use ground (not too fine) almonds in place of normal
>crumble ingredient. Nice warm with dollop cream.

Ohh that sounds good. My mother in law used to make fried apples.
I'm thinking this may be a good experiment to try with the Chayote, as
well as try the Apple Crumble with it.
Karen

Cheri[_3_] 29-01-2014 05:14 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 16:15:10 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Karen" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 08:28:25 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"

>>> `
>>> I've never tried Chayote squash. I'll look for it in the supermarket
>>> next time I shop. It sounds interesting. Can it be used for other
>>> types of dishes. We really don't eat dessert. Hubby doesn't like
>>> sweets and I shouldn't have them, although I do like them.
>>> Karen

>>Yes, Chayote can be used just like zucchini for au gratins, quiches etc. I
>>like to cook it, then throw it in the blender, add cinnamon and artificial
>>sweetener to taste and eat it like applesauce when I want something sweet.
>>It really does taste like applesauce, if you like applesauce. It can be
>>used
>>in the place of apples in just about any recipe because anything you can
>>do
>>with apples you can pretty much do with chayote as far as cooking goes,
>>grabbing one and eating it raw like you would an apple is not an option
>>though. ;-)
>>
>>Cheri
>>

> Interesting. I went over the wikipedia and looked it up. I guess I
> have seen these at the local Raley's and Save Mart stores. I just
> never knew what to do with it. I like to try new veggies so this
> will be on the grocery list this week. Thank you.
> Karen

The best buy on them is at Food 4 Less. I bought some today for .79 a pound.

Cheri

Karen[_11_] 29-01-2014 06:31 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 20:14:39 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> wrote:

>The best buy on them is at Food 4 Less. I bought some today for .79 a pound.
>
>Cheri

Thanks. We don't have a Food 4 Less any more in Tracy. There is a
Mexican grocery, Raley's, Save Mart and Safeway. I don't know what
they are charging, but I bet the Mexican grocery will have the best
price here. Their produce is pretty reasonable.
Karen

Cheri[_3_] 29-01-2014 07:51 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Jan 2014 20:14:39 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Cheri"
> > wrote:
>

>>The best buy on them is at Food 4 Less. I bought some today for .79 a
>>pound.
>>
>>Cheri

> Thanks. We don't have a Food 4 Less any more in Tracy. There is a
> Mexican grocery, Raley's, Save Mart and Safeway. I don't know what
> they are charging, but I bet the Mexican grocery will have the best
> price here. Their produce is pretty reasonable.
> Karen

Yes, they are very popular in the Mexican groceries and probably good buys
there. Here Rancho San Miguel Market is way across town so I don't go there
often.

Cheri

KROM 29-01-2014 07:32 PM

Super Bowl Menus?

you could try endive or fennel or leaks as scoops instead of chips and pork
rinds or serve them as pre made bites with stuff already on them like melted
sharp cheese and bacon or shredded chipotle chicken..

KROM

Todd 29-01-2014 08:10 PM

Super Bowl Menus?

On 01/28/2014 06:54 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> Apple Crumble ;) Use ground (not too fine) almonds in place of normal
> crumble ingredient. Nice warm with dollop cream.

Hi Ozgirl,

That sounds really good. My wife is scary allergic to almonds,
but she is fine with pecans.

Wikipedia has a nice write up on Chayotes. The wikipedia article
has a remark on the rumor that McDonald's used Chayotes in their
hot apple pie. Not a true rumor, but of interest to us as
someone thought they get away with it.

Chayotes is a great tip -- thank you Cheri! I will be going
to the Mexican Supermarket today to pick up my weekly fix
of Opuntia. I will see if they have any of these too.
(Sweet people at that store.)

-T

Chayote, fruit, cooked, boiled, drained, without salt:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2402/2
8 grams carbs per cup.

in comparison to:

Apples, raw, with skin:
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/1809/2
17 grams per quartered or chopped (even higher in sauce)

DreadfulBitch 29-01-2014 09:56 PM

Super Bowl Menus?

On 1/28/2014 6:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

> Although we did like it, I'm not a dessert person at all.

Why is it, Julie, when you express an opinion about a food item it's
always "we" liked it or "we" didn't like it. You've posted many times
about the different likes & dislikes of your daughter, husband and you,
but when it comes to judging stuff you always write "we."

Would you make something a second time if only you liked it? Only your
daughter liked it? Or only your husband liked it?

--
DreadfulBitch

I intend to live forever....so far, so good.
......Steven Wright

Julie Bove[_2_] 29-01-2014 11:47 PM

Super Bowl Menus?

"DreadfulBitch" > wrote in message
> On 1/28/2014 6:35 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>
>> Although we did like it, I'm not a dessert person at all.

> Why is it, Julie, when you express an opinion about a food item it's
> always "we" liked it or "we" didn't like it. You've posted many times
> about the different likes & dislikes of your daughter, husband and you,
> but when it comes to judging stuff you always write "we."

I don't always do that. I tend to write about stuff that I like and don't
like but many times I have written things (perhaps not here) about things
that Angela or my husband does or doesn't like. They both like yogurt. I
hate the stuff.

> Would you make something a second time if only you liked it? Only your
> daughter liked it? Or only your husband liked it?

I frequently make things like that. I made chili this week. Angela hates
chili. And no, Angela is not required to eat things she hates. She had
vegetarian beans when we had the chili. Tonight I am making roasted
potatoes (which hopefully we all like) and for my husband some kind of
German sausages and sauerkraut. Angela and I wouldn't touch the stuff. I
make that garlic pasta for the two of them and *I* won't touch it.

If it is something that only I like and it makes a large amount, I am not
likely to make it. And the same would apply to them unless it was something
that they *really* liked and would be willing to eat it again and again.
Like my husband with pizza. Angela hates pizza and I can't eat pizza with
cheese. So he's the only one who ever eats it.

I put "we" in this case because my entire family, including extended family
tried the chayote and liked it. It is very rare in a family of picky eaters
for something like that to happen. But... While we did like it, it's just
not the sort of thing that we normally eat. I didn't serve it as a dessert
as we don't eat dessert. I served it with the Thanksgiving meal and we ate
it with but seeing as how it was like apples, it seemed weird to be eating
with as we never eat fruit with our meals either. I also found them to be a
PITA to prepare because they exude a sticky, hand irritating substance.

So... If I had a horking ton of the things growing in my yard and they were
free to me, I might find ways to work them into our diet, just because they
are free. Like the pears that we have now. But they're not so there is no
reason I could see to do that.

Ozgirl 30-01-2014 12:01 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

The good thing about chayote (or choko as we call them in Australia) is
that that they take on the flavour of whatever they are cooked in. I was
raised on them being peeled, sliced and boiled in salty water. When I
cook them as apple substitutes I use a little water and sweetener. We
used to grow them so we always picked them when they were small and
smooth-skinned. I have always found that those sold in stores are large
with a woody skin. get small ones or grow them yourself. They take off
and grow wild along fences if you let them, plenty for yourself and a
neighbour, lol. Never have to do anything with them like water them etc
(unless you live in a drought-prone area I guess).

Cheri[_3_] 30-01-2014 12:17 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
> you could try endive or fennel or leaks as scoops instead of chips and
> pork rinds or serve them as pre made bites with stuff already on them like
> melted sharp cheese and bacon or shredded chipotle chicken..
>
> KROM

That is a good idea, I do like endive a lot. Thanks.

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 30-01-2014 12:19 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 01/28/2014 06:54 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>
>> Apple Crumble ;) Use ground (not too fine) almonds in place of normal
>> crumble ingredient. Nice warm with dollop cream.

> Hi Ozgirl,
>
> That sounds really good. My wife is scary allergic to almonds,
> but she is fine with pecans.
>
> Wikipedia has a nice write up on Chayotes. The wikipedia article
> has a remark on the rumor that McDonald's used Chayotes in their
> hot apple pie. Not a true rumor, but of interest to us as
> someone thought they get away with it.
>
> Chayotes is a great tip -- thank you Cheri! I will be going
> to the Mexican Supermarket today to pick up my weekly fix
> of Opuntia. I will see if they have any of these too.
> (Sweet people at that store.)
>
> -T

Actually, Susan turned me on to them after she tried them. I see that Ozgirl
has been using them for a long time too.

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 30-01-2014 07:13 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "KROM" > wrote in message
>> you could try endive or fennel or leaks as scoops instead of chips and
>> pork rinds or serve them as pre made bites with stuff already on them
>> like melted sharp cheese and bacon or shredded chipotle chicken..
>>
>> KROM

> That is a good idea, I do like endive a lot. Thanks.

Me too but I never think to buy it. I think I only ever bought it once for
a veggie platter.

Julie Bove[_2_] 30-01-2014 07:14 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 01/28/2014 06:54 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>
>>> Apple Crumble ;) Use ground (not too fine) almonds in place of normal
>>> crumble ingredient. Nice warm with dollop cream.

>> Hi Ozgirl,
>>
>> That sounds really good. My wife is scary allergic to almonds,
>> but she is fine with pecans.
>>
>> Wikipedia has a nice write up on Chayotes. The wikipedia article
>> has a remark on the rumor that McDonald's used Chayotes in their
>> hot apple pie. Not a true rumor, but of interest to us as
>> someone thought they get away with it.
>>
>> Chayotes is a great tip -- thank you Cheri! I will be going
>> to the Mexican Supermarket today to pick up my weekly fix
>> of Opuntia. I will see if they have any of these too.
>> (Sweet people at that store.)
>>
>> -T

> Actually, Susan turned me on to them after she tried them. I see that
> Ozgirl has been using them for a long time too.

I don't know why but they were dirt cheap in NY when I lived there.

Todd 01-02-2014 06:11 AM

Super Bowl Menus?

On 01/27/2014 06:07 PM, Cheri wrote:

> Anyone have some ideas for low carb snacks? We won't be doing a meal,
> just snacks. Deviled eggs are on the menu, but wondering if someone has
> something a bit different to add.
>
> Cheri

Hi Cheri,

I was cruising around the Paleo cooking group and
found there Super Bowl recipes.

http://paleospirit.com/2014/paleo-super-bowl-recipes/

Maybe you could modify some of them?

-T