Old 24-12-2013, 09:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What's for Christmas Dinner?

Janet Wilder wrote:
: On 12/23/2013 8:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: Todd wrote:
: : On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
: : I wasn?t calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
: : friends to eat..period.
:
: : That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
: : Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
: : secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
: : your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
: : out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
: : involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
: : to be alone on Christmas?
: You are celebrating something that has caused a great deal of pain to Jews
: over the millenia. We really don't want to share your holiday, bt, at
: this time, some 70 or so years after the hend of the Holocaust, we are
: happy you are enjoying your holiday, with all its religious and secular
: aspects, but do let us enjoy our own and we can have nice and happy meals
: together on totally secular dys and on occasions like the US thanksgiving
: which really is clelebrated as E Pluribus Unem with a central turkey adn
: side dishes form many of the cultures that have become part of the US over
: the centuries.
:
: New Years eve and Day are also time we can celebrate together or even just
: a Monday night in january when it is dark early and cold, so good
: companionship adn shared food and drink woudl be welcome.
:
: Wendy
:

: My thoughts on Christmas

: We have had dinner with Christian friends on Christmas, but it's not a
: holiday we celebrate in our home. When we are with our friends we are
: really celebrating being with them and not their holiday. Most of them
: aren't celebrating in any religious manner anyway. We send them
: Christmas cards and we wish people a Merry Christmas, because we
: recognize their holiday.

: I find very little religion in Christmas as its celebrated in the US.
: It seems to be getting more and more commercially oriented every year.
: I do like the music (the best selling Christmas song was written by an
: immigrant Jew) and I fondly recall the spirit of peace on earth and
: goodwill to mankind that seems to have gotten lost in the scramble for
: bargains on Black Friday at the stores.

: When I was a teenager living near NYC, we used to go to St. Patrick's
: Cathedral on Christmas Eve and stand outside during midnight mass where
: speakers broadcast the beautiful music. None of us were Catholic or even
: Christian for that matter, but we appreciated the "concert" for it's
: musical value.

: When Wendy and I celebrate holidays, there is *always* an element of
: religious practice involved. Even Chanukah, which has taken on a lot
: more importance than it really has, is celebrated by lighting candles
: every night and saying special blessings, in Hebrew, as we light them.
: The kids, who are expecting gifts, know that they come after, the
: candles are lit and the religious portion of the holiday is observed.

: Christianity, historically, has not been kind to the rest of the world
: and anyone who forgets the forced conversions, murder and evil treatment
: of those who did not adhere to the Church is denying history just as
: many Muslims deny the Holocaust. Wendy's feelings are very understandable.

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Thanks, Janet. I sit here listening to WKCR(columbis University's radio
station) playing the music of JS Bach everyday fro last Saturday through
New years. I listen to the istrument and the volca music and absolutely
adore it! Musch of the vocal is christian, but I am not listening to the
wrods as such, but the glorious music that , whether secular or religious,
lifts my spirit and soul and makes me thin of my wonderful husband, who
played musch of this music and loved it as I do.

One doesn't cut off onself formt eh rest of the country by not observign
Christmas, even in its secular forms of intense shopping ocnpetitiona,
coking and drinkin orgies, etc. I prefer to leave it to others who have
some connectin to te original meaning of the holiday.

Wendy

Old 26-12-2013, 04:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message

I have decided not to read any of you until after Christmas, except
Susan, since this whole thing has turned into a ****ing match with
one versus the other. I won't have it!!!

that's the spirit
Old 26-12-2013, 06:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like it I feel like the highlander!...or scotty from star trek..

"I cannae do eet captain!..she's abouuuut to blooooow!"

lol

KROM

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"Cheri" wrote in message
Well said KROM. Merry Christamas to you and yours.

Cheri

Scratch the extra "a" :-)

"KROM" wrote in message
Actually I meant since people like me do the observant thing on the 24th
..the 25th is just a day to eat and enjoy company and eat too much and
since there's too much food its better to share with friends...regardless
of their faiths.

I wasnt calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
friends to eat..period.

this year as I've said before I will be ordering Chinese and not caring
about glucose levels for one day.

I know ya meant well.... but it was a bit irksome to say she HAD to do
something for the day instead of just saying your sure her friends would
love to have her if she wanted a good meal just as I'm sure she invites
friends over for meals despite their faiths.

I know you get excited about things like the holiday and diabetic
control but you can lean a bit to preachy and that turns people
off....since not everyone shares the same views.

anyhoo enjoy the holidays Todd...hope yours goes well

KROM

"Todd" wrote...

KROM states it very nicely. If you are not going to eat
(Kosher and Diabetic) with Christian friends, at least invite
your kids over for one of those lovely chickens you cook.

Old 26-12-2013, 06:45 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

you just come across preachy sometimes ..its probably just the excitement
you feel on these topics

anyhoo I had lo mein and gen tso chicken and spicy beef filled wontons and
chicken wings.

not all at once cause it was a lot of food..lol

hope yours was good too

KROM

Old 26-12-2013, 09:11 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Happy beginning of Kwanzaa!!! Sounds like you had a good Christmas.

Cheri

Old 27-12-2013, 07:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 23 Dec 2013 13:13:32 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message
On 12/23/2013 11:23 AM, KROM wrote:
I wasnít calling for Jews to celebrate with Christians..I was inviting
friends to eat..period.

That is what I was getting at too. What did you think I meant?
Ambush them with holy water? I was only talking about the
secular portion. You are celebrating, have lots of food,
your friends of another faith are not, invite them in. Pig
out together. Watch the Packers lose (again). No proselytizing
involved -- just friendship. Would you really want your friends
to be alone on Christmas?

Maybe to you, Christmas is a time for a lot of people to get together. It
isn't for me or my family. Just because you think something should be that
way, doesn't mean others think that way.

Maybe you would benefit from spending Christmas or any or day at a
homeless shelter.

Maybe not.

But as long as every day is always about you, you will never know.

Old 27-12-2013, 11:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Uh... Wha? I'm not even a Christian! What in the heck are you talking
about? And why would I want to go to a homeless shelter?

Old 28-12-2013, 01:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 15:56:52 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

I am sure "you" would never know.

Old 28-12-2013, 03:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"I Don't Know U" wrote in message
On Fri, 27 Dec 2013 15:56:52 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Whatever that means!

Old 29-12-2013, 07:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

thank you!

I personally donít do Kwanzaa but I like its principles..

I donít feel the need for a separate holiday to take ownership of...I am a
Christian so I own Christmas just fine.

also I donít feel a connection to Africa since I've never been and it isn't
anymore my homeland then Italy or Greece or Spain the holy land or anywhere
else the moors ruled..lol

but thatís me..if others need another holiday and its message is good ..then
great!

:-)

KROM