FoodBanter.com

-   -   Dinner tonight (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/426702-re-dinner-tonight.html)

W. Baker 12-12-2013 04:49 AM

Dinner tonight

Todd > wrote:
: >>
: >> : Me Trophy Wife says to tell you "(Paloe) Lasagna":
: >> : a layer of ground beef, a layer of cottage cheese (full
: >> : fat of course), a layer of my home made tomato sauce,
: >> : and a layer of (Trader Joe's) Fontina cheese slices.
: >>
: >> : I think I will crack open a bottle of Trader Joe's
: >> : berry flavored sparkling water, vintage last month
: >> : (it was a good month).
: >>
: >> : -T
: >>
: >> Try using lengthwise slices of either eggplant or zucchini(or a
: >> mixture of
: >> both) as substitutes for the nooldle.. Adds nice taste,texture and
: >> ntritin to the dish. they are both vegetabeles that would imporove the
: >> dish.
: >>
: >> Wendy
: >>
: >
: > Hi Wendy,
: >
: > Thank you!
: >
: > Do you slice with a potato peeler?

No, I use a sharp knife adn they needn't be crazy thin.:
: > Do you cook them first? Fry them in EVOO? Any salt?
: >

Sometimes I soften them in the microwave adn other times I bake theslices
on a baking sheet in the oven. I don't fry them as I do not use lots of
oil or other fats if possible. Not good for either my weight or my
stomach. Can set off the runs.

Wendy

W. Baker 13-12-2013 08:05 PM

Dinner tonight

Todd > wrote:
: > : >> : berry flavored sparkling water, vintage last month
: > : >> : (it was a good month).
: > : >>
: > : >> : -T
: > : >>
: > : >> Try using lengthwise slices of either eggplant or zucchini(or a
: > : >> mixture of
: > : >> both) as substitutes for the nooldle.. Adds nice taste,texture and
: > : >> ntritin to the dish. they are both vegetabeles that would imporove the
: > : >> dish.
: > : >>
: > : >> Wendy
: > : >>
: > : >
: > : > Hi Wendy,
: > : >
: > : > Thank you!
: > : >
: > : > Do you slice with a potato peeler?
: >
: > No, I use a sharp knife adn they needn't be crazy thin.:
: > : > Do you cook them first? Fry them in EVOO? Any salt?
: > : >
: >
: > Sometimes I soften them in the microwave adn other times I bake theslices
: > on a baking sheet in the oven. I don't fry them as I do not use lots of
: > oil or other fats if possible. Not good for either my weight or my
: > stomach. Can set off the runs.
: >
: > Wendy
: >

: Hi Wendy,

: Thank you!

: How do you slice them?

: -T

: --
Lengthwise, with a sharp knife. they do NOT have to be paper thin or
totally regular. It is not a prescision process.

Wendy

Cheri[_3_] 13-12-2013 10:08 PM

Dinner tonight

"Todd" > wrote in message

> How do you slice them?
>
> -T

Get yourself a julienne peeler and peel the squash just like you would a
potato. The julienne slicer makes lovely thin strips that very much mimic
pasta, not lasagna though, but other pasta dishes. I use mine all the time.

Ozgirl 14-12-2013 12:23 AM

Dinner tonight

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 12/13/2013 11:05 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : > : >> : berry flavored sparkling water, vintage last month
> : > : >> : (it was a good month).
> : > : >>
> : > : >> : -T
> : > : >>
> : > : >> Try using lengthwise slices of either eggplant or zucchini(or
> : > : >> mixture of
> : > : >> both) as substitutes for the nooldle.. Adds nice
> taste,texture and
> : > : >> ntritin to the dish. they are both vegetabeles that would
> imporove the
> : > : >> dish.
> : > : >>
> : > : >> Wendy
> : > : >>
> : > : >
> : > : > Hi Wendy,
> : > : >
> : > : > Thank you!
> : > : >
> : > : > Do you slice with a potato peeler?
> : >
> : > No, I use a sharp knife adn they needn't be crazy thin.:
> : > : > Do you cook them first? Fry them in EVOO? Any salt?
> : > : >
> : >
> : > Sometimes I soften them in the microwave adn other times I bake
> theslices
> : > on a baking sheet in the oven. I don't fry them as I do not use
> lots of
> : > oil or other fats if possible. Not good for either my weight or
> my
> : > stomach. Can set off the runs.
> : >
> : > Wendy
> : >
>
> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : Thank you!
>
> : How do you slice them?
>
> : -T
>
> : --
> Lengthwise, with a sharp knife. they do NOT have to be paper thin or
> totally regular. It is not a prescision process.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you! (You can tell how new I am to this.)

------------------------

I like to slice mine lengthways and pan fry each side using a dash of
olive oil to wet the pan only. Then when they are cool enough to handle
I roll them around a filling of marinated feta cheese or slice baby
peppers that have been stuffed with whatever. Put a toothpick in them to
hold it together, especially if using it as a party finger food. They
make a good side for most things. I can get both the feta and baby
peppers in most good delis or even some supermarket deli sections.

Ozgirl 14-12-2013 12:27 AM

Dinner tonight

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 12/13/2013 01:08 PM, Cheri wrote:

> "Todd" > wrote in message
>
>> How do you slice them?
>>
>> -T

> Get yourself a julienne peeler and peel the squash just like you would
> potato. The julienne slicer makes lovely thin strips that very much
> mimic pasta, not lasagna though, but other pasta dishes. I use mine
> all
> the time.

Thank you!

Do you have a favorite model?

-----

Claudia Schiffer?

Janet Wilder[_1_] 14-12-2013 02:05 AM

Dinner tonight

I get the zucchini-like Mexican squash which a little lighter in color
and a bit milder in taste.

2 tbsp olive oil
2 small green summer squash (zucchini or tatuma)
3 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
1/2 yellow onion
1/2 red bell pepper
1/2 green bell pepper
4 or 5 mushrooms, thinly sliced
1/4 cup dry red wine
1 can petite diced tomatoes
3 tbsp shredded Romano cheese
3 Tbsp. Shredded Parmesan cheese
1 tsp dried basil
fresh ground pepper to taste.

Quarter the squash lengthways and put it in the skillet with chopped
fresh garlic and a half an onion in olive oil, then add diced red and
green peppers, mushrooms if I have any around, some dried basil (unless
I have fresh) a few grinds of pepper.

I let it saute for a while until veggies get soft then add 1/4 cup or so
of red wine and a can of diced tomatoes.

I grate some Parmesan and some Romano (imported) cheese on the veggies
and let them simmer for 15 minutes or so until most of the liquid is gone.

This makes enough for 4 servings. Since we are 2, we put the leftover
into a container to have another night. It gets better with age.

We had the veggie mix tonight with some red quinoa and some rib eye steak.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Janet Wilder[_1_] 14-12-2013 02:19 AM

Dinner tonight

On 12/13/2013 7:09 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 12/13/2013 05:05 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> I get the zucchini-like Mexican squash which a little lighter in color
>> and a bit milder in taste.
>>
>> 2 tbsp olive oil
>> 2 small green summer squash (zucchini or tatuma)
>> 3 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
>> 1/2 yellow onion
>> 1/2 red bell pepper
>> 1/2 green bell pepper
>> 4 or 5 mushrooms, thinly sliced
>> 1/4 cup dry red wine
>> 1 can petite diced tomatoes
>> 3 tbsp shredded Romano cheese
>> 3 Tbsp. Shredded Parmesan cheese
>> 1 tsp dried basil
>> fresh ground pepper to taste.
>>

>> Quarter the squash lengthways and put it in the skillet with chopped
>> fresh garlic and a half an onion in olive oil, then add diced red and
>> green peppers, mushrooms if I have any around, some dried basil (unless
>> I have fresh) a few grinds of pepper.
>>
>> I let it saute for a while until veggies get soft then add 1/4 cup or so
>> of red wine and a can of diced tomatoes.
>>
>> I grate some Parmesan and some Romano (imported) cheese on the veggies
>> and let them simmer for 15 minutes or so until most of the liquid is
>> gone.
>>
>> This makes enough for 4 servings. Since we are 2, we put the leftover
>> into a container to have another night. It gets better with age.
>>
>> We had the veggie mix tonight with some red quinoa and some rib eye
>> steak.
>>

> Hi Janet,
>
> Oh Man! Thank you!
>
> Quinoa is a bit high in carb. Have healed up enough to
> tolerate it? Or just eat a tiny bit? What does it taste like?
>
> -T

Well, it doesn't taste like chicken :-). It's a little crunchy and
slightly nutty. I make 1/4 cup for two people. I use vegetable broth as
the liquid (2 parts liquid to one part quinoa) and I put a pat of butter
in the pot. There are 24 g. of carbs in 14 cup dry quinoa. That's 12g.
per person.

Don't forget my DH has a pump and can bolus for the amount of carbs he
is eating.

With the tomatoes in the vegetable medley, he bolused for 30g. of carbs,
which was very conservative as I think the meal was less.

Ozgirl 14-12-2013 04:18 AM

Dinner tonight

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 12/13/2013 03:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> I like to slice mine lengthways and pan fry each side using a dash of
> olive oil to wet the pan only. Then when they are cool enough to
> handle
> I roll them around a filling of marinated feta cheese or slice baby
> peppers that have been stuffed with whatever. Put a toothpick in them
> hold it together, especially if using it as a party finger food. They
> make a good side for most things. I can get both the feta and baby
> peppers in most good delis or even some supermarket deli sections.

Hi Oz,

I like it! Must try it the next zukes I get.

What kind of peppers do you use?

Thank you!

-T
________

I thought the convo was about eggplant ;) That's what I was talking
about. Zuchinni may not be wide enough. I buy the pre-stuffed peppers
and they are just shown as being baby peppers. I presume baby bell
peppers. I usually get the ones stuffed with bocconcini (soft, creamy
feta is ok too). They cut the ends off these small peppers and stuff
them like that with a bit of the stuffing hanging out. I notice some
recipes cut the little blighters in half lengthways and stuff them that
way. I like them the way I buy them.

Cheri[_3_] 14-12-2013 04:24 AM

Dinner tonight

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 12/13/2013 01:08 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> "Todd" > wrote in message
>>
>>> How do you slice them?
>>>
>>> -T

>> Get yourself a julienne peeler and peel the squash just like you would a
>> potato. The julienne slicer makes lovely thin strips that very much
>> mimic pasta, not lasagna though, but other pasta dishes. I use mine all
>> the time.
>>

> Thank you!
>
> Do you have a favorite model?

No, I just bought the cheap one at Walmart a few years ago and it's still
going.

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 14-12-2013 07:15 AM

Dinner tonight

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 12/13/2013 07:24 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Do you have a favorite model?

>> No, I just bought the cheap one at Walmart a few years ago and it's
>> still going.
>>
>> Cheri

> Hi Cheri,
>
> Not to ask too stupid a question, but will a carrot/potato
> peeler work in a similar manner?
>
> -T

Not really. The julienne slicer has teeth that cut in thin strips as you
peel but looks very similiar to a regular potato peeler. The julienne slicer
really cuts a zucchini to look feel and act very much like spaghetti for
instance. I think the cost was around 2-3 dollars.

Cheri

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 14-12-2013 07:38 AM

Dinner tonight

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 12/13/2013 10:15 PM, Cheri wrote:

>> Not really. The julienne slicer has teeth that cut in thin strips as you
>> peel but looks very similiar to a regular potato peeler. The julienne
>> slicer really cuts a zucchini to look feel and act very much like
>> spaghetti for instance. I think the cost was around 2-3 dollars.
>>
>> Cheri

> Thank you! I just put one on my shopping list.

If you like pasta dishes, I know you will love the julienne peeler. Does
zucchini taste exactly like pasta? No, it does not, but when it's the same
size as pasta strands, with the same type of mouth feel, and you can twirl
it on a fork just like spaghetti...it's very satisfying. The sauce options
are endless.

Cheri

Julie Bove[_2_] 14-12-2013 11:45 AM

Dinner tonight

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 12/13/2013 10:38 PM, Cheri wrote:

>>> Thank you! I just put one on my shopping list.

>> If you like pasta dishes, I know you will love the julienne peeler. Does
>> zucchini taste exactly like pasta? No, it does not, but when it's the
>> same size as pasta strands, with the same type of mouth feel, and you
>> can twirl it on a fork just like spaghetti...it's very satisfying. The
>> sauce options are endless.
>>
>> Cheri

> Hi Cheri,
>
> I did love my pasta. Now I love my steak, chicken ...
>
> When I was first inducted into the pin cushion club,
> I tried to make analogs. (Cauliflower mashed potatoes:
> yuk!) Not so much now. If it is low carb and high fat,
> I am your man. But it better taste good -- the fat goes
> a long way toward that.
>
> Your suggestion sound really good. Carbs, after all,
> are only carriers for other flavors. I am looking
> forward to the "sauce options are endless". (I am
> getting really good at cream sauces too -- they are
> really easy to make.
>
> Thank you!

That's just not true for all carbs. Not true at all.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 14-12-2013 08:26 PM

Dinner tonight

On 12/13/2013 9:02 PM, Todd wrote:

> Hi Janet,
>
> Makes sense. Thank you for the update. Is your DH a type 1,2 3c?
>
> Thank you for the tips! Quinoa is suppose to be very good
> for you. Wish it was lower carb.

My DH is type 2. It is a hereditary illness. His dad and one of his
paternal uncles contracted it at the same age, 40. He is now 72 and
very well controlled, but when he was in his mid 60's his new endo
decided that all the years of medication had pretty much ruined his
pancreas so she put him on multiple daily injections and he did so well
that she got Medicare to pay for a pump.

You would have to pry that pump out of his cold dead hands. His control
has never been better. His last A1C was 5.7 and I was in the hospital
unable to cook for him.

We travel a lot and can't always control the meals, but he has learned
to approximate carbs and will use his pump to cover. It can do a
multiple, long-term bolus which is extremely helpful on cruise ships.

He did gain some weight when he first went on insulin, but he's been
able to drop most of it.

I know a lot of people are afraid of insulin, but it's been a blessing
for him. The pills were his undoing. He is part of the Avandia law
suite and did get a settlement, but no amount of money will restore his
ability to walk up a hill or carry a small bag as he now lives with
congestive heart failure directly traced to the Avandia.

He still watches his carbs but they are not forbidden as the insulin
covers for them. We eat low carb, not no carb and I think he's healthier
for that.

Janet Wilder[_1_] 15-12-2013 05:08 PM

Dinner tonight

On 12/15/2013 1:48 AM, Todd wrote:
> On 12/14/2013 11:26 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
>> On 12/13/2013 9:02 PM, Todd wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Janet,
>>>
>>> Makes sense. Thank you for the update. Is your DH a type 1,2 3c?
>>>
>>> Thank you for the tips! Quinoa is suppose to be very good
>>> for you. Wish it was lower carb.
>>>

>> My DH is type 2. It is a hereditary illness. His dad and one of his
>> paternal uncles contracted it at the same age, 40. He is now 72 and
>> very well controlled, but when he was in his mid 60's his new endo
>> decided that all the years of medication had pretty much ruined his
>> pancreas so she put him on multiple daily injections and he did so well
>> that she got Medicare to pay for a pump.
>>
>> You would have to pry that pump out of his cold dead hands. His control
>> has never been better. His last A1C was 5.7 and I was in the hospital
>> unable to cook for him.
>>
>> We travel a lot and can't always control the meals, but he has learned
>> to approximate carbs and will use his pump to cover. It can do a
>> multiple, long-term bolus which is extremely helpful on cruise ships.
>>
>> He did gain some weight when he first went on insulin, but he's been
>> able to drop most of it.
>>
>> I know a lot of people are afraid of insulin, but it's been a blessing
>> for him. The pills were his undoing. He is part of the Avandia law
>> suite and did get a settlement, but no amount of money will restore his
>> ability to walk up a hill or carry a small bag as he now lives with
>> congestive heart failure directly traced to the Avandia.
>>
>> He still watches his carbs but they are not forbidden as the insulin
>> covers for them. We eat low carb, not no carb and I think he's healthier
>> for that.

> Hi Janet,
>
> Wonderful news on the control front. Horrible news on the drug
> damage front. I personally hate the drugs and hope I never
> have to go back on them. I am still not quite recovered
> from the Metformin.
>
> It is pretty hard to do "no carb". I am also low carb.
> One day I think I hit about 4 carbs. (Not on purpose,
> just what I ate that day.) Typically, I come in around
> 40 to 60.
>
> My observation about insulin is that people get in trouble
> with it when they overdo it to restore themselves to a
> previous extremely high carb lifestyle. Sound like your
> husband could teach a course on how to use insulin properly,
> which is also very good news.
>
> It is also a blessing that you are there for him and take
> such good care of him. Tell him I said he need to kiss
> your feet! :-)
>
> -T

We take turns caring for each other. I've just come through a horrible
experience with small cell lung cancer. The chemo treatments worked on
the cancer, but it the chemo almost killed me. I spent a total of 48
days out of 3 months in the hospital. While I was ill he took excellent
care of me.

This was my second battle with cancer. I had a totally unrelated bout in
2006 and wound up with a ruptured colon from all the pain meds. He took
care of me then, too.

We very much appreciate each other.

Ozgirl 16-12-2013 02:06 AM

Dinner tonight

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...

We take turns caring for each other. I've just come through a horrible
experience with small cell lung cancer. The chemo treatments worked on
the cancer, but it the chemo almost killed me. I spent a total of 48
days out of 3 months in the hospital. While I was ill he took excellent
care of me.

This was my second battle with cancer. I had a totally unrelated bout in
2006 and wound up with a ruptured colon from all the pain meds. He took
care of me then, too.

We very much appreciate each other.

----

Here's hoping 2014 is a better year for you and your family, Janet xx

Janet Wilder[_4_] 16-12-2013 02:35 AM

Dinner tonight

On 12/15/2013 7:06 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" wrote in message
> eb.com...
>

> We take turns caring for each other. I've just come through a horrible
> experience with small cell lung cancer. The chemo treatments worked on
> the cancer, but it the chemo almost killed me. I spent a total of 48
> days out of 3 months in the hospital. While I was ill he took excellent
> care of me.
>
> This was my second battle with cancer. I had a totally unrelated bout in
> 2006 and wound up with a ruptured colon from all the pain meds. He took
> care of me then, too.
>
> We very much appreciate each other.
>
> ----
>
> Here's hoping 2014 is a better year for you and your family, Janet xx

Thanks. That's what I hope and pray for, too.

Susan[_6_] 16-12-2013 03:33 AM

Dinner tonight

On 12/15/2013 8:35 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> I'm ready for a new baby. It would have to be soon as we are leaving
> on a cruise in mid-February to celebrate my surviving.

Next cruise, I hope you just go because you feel like it!

> We have hand raised 5 babies and all have found wonderful forever
> homes and loving families.
>
> Fore those who are unfamiliar, my DH volunteers at the local Humane
> Society. When someone brings in a kitten that is too young for shots
> and needs to be hand raised, we foster them. It is a lot of work, but
> it's so worth it to save their little lives. Since cats have 9 lives,
> we figure we've saved 45. :-)

Ah, the new math. :-)

Susan