Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What are your turkey spices?

Hi All,

Mine are
Parsley
Basil
Rosemary
Thyme
Garlic
Onion

What are your turkey spices?

-T

ya'all getting ready for the Gran Prix of all cooking days?

Hoping I can find some asparagus!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/22/2013 12:25 PM, Todd wrote:

> ya'all getting ready for the Gran Prix of all cooking days?

Are you assuming all posters here are from the US? Don't be that
shortsighted!

--
BessieBee

"The pessimist see difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees
opportunity in every difficulty."
....Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 11/22/2013 10:45 AM, BessieBee wrote:
>> On 11/22/2013 12:25 PM, Todd wrote:
>>
>>> ya'all getting ready for the Gran Prix of all cooking days?

>> Are you assuming all posters here are from the US? Don't be that
>> shortsighted!

> Hi Bessie,
>
> There are other places?!?!? TELL ME IT ISN'T SO!!! :-)
>
> Okay, silliness aside,
>
> 1) where do you hail from?
>
> 2) most importantly, what is your favorite poultry seasonings?
> (Broaden my horizons.)
>
> -T
>
> Thanksgiving is a wonderful time to appreciate the ones
> you love, show off your cooking skill learned from the
> year, and thank God for your blessings. (And scam
> a bunch of hugs from your loved ones.)

I would assume that the posters that it applied to would respond, others
wouldn't, but sometimes people just want to be ****y and take exception to
even the most innocent posts. Myself, I am going to use applewood smoked sea
salt, pepper, and whatever else suits my fancy. I am going to cook it like
Trisha Yearwood since it worked out really well when I tried it. No, I don't
think she's much of a cook, but the 12.5 pound turkey works well this way.
What are you having to go with your turkey?

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/t...ipe/index.html

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/22/2013 1:01 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 11/22/2013 10:45 AM, BessieBee wrote:
>> On 11/22/2013 12:25 PM, Todd wrote:
>>
>>> ya'all getting ready for the Gran Prix of all cooking days?

>> Are you assuming all posters here are from the US? Don't be that
>> shortsighted!

> Hi Bessie,
>
> There are other places?!?!? TELL ME IT ISN'T SO!!! :-)
>
> Okay, silliness aside,
>
> 1) where do you hail from?

Originally? Pennsylvania. Now? Missouri

> 2) most importantly, what is your favorite poultry seasonings?
> (Broaden my horizons.)

No clue. I've managed to live my life as the recipient of almost all
Thanksgiving meals. The one I did cook was many many moons ago when my
roommate and I seasoned our Turkey, and everything else, with a too
generous portion of red wine. All I remember is the whole evening being
fun. (-:

--
BessieBee

"The pessimist see difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees
opportunity in every difficulty."
....Sir Winston Churchill
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I use the same seasoning plus sage which I only use during the holidays for
the turkey and stuffing making it special and I use fresh quick diced and
blended into butter which I rub under the skin and everywhere.

then I cut up celery and extra herbs and carrots and root veggies and onion
and garlic to put around it and loosely inside the cavity.

I make the stuffing/dressing separate and bake in a glass dish because
stuffing cooked in the bird can make you sick if it doesnt reach
temperature inside the bird and it tastes as good outside the bird.

other then that the only other secret is to cook it 2 thirds of its cook
time covered and last third uncovered and basted to make a crispy golden
skin.

my turkey has always been picture perfect and moist and delicious.

KROM

"Todd" wrote in message ...

Hi All,

Mine are
Parsley
Basil
Rosemary
Thyme
Garlic
Onion

What are your turkey spices?

-T

ya'all getting ready for the Gran Prix of all cooking days?

Hoping I can find some asparagus!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/22/2013 12:25 PM, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Mine are
> Parsley
> Basil
> Rosemary
> Thyme
> Garlic
> Onion
>
> What are your turkey spices?
>
> -T
>
> ya'all getting ready for the Gran Prix of all cooking days?
>
> Hoping I can find some asparagus!

Granulated garlic, black pepper, Bell's Seasoning and paprika.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

---

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 11/22/2013 12:59 PM, Cheri wrote:
: > I would assume that the posters that it applied to would respond, others
: > wouldn't, but sometimes people just want to be ****y and take exception
: > to even the most innocent posts.

: Hi Cheri,

: She might be on Metformin. Makes you think negative things
: are happening all around you. And that people are attacking
: you, when they are not.

: -T

AFter some 17 years on Metformin(ex) it hasn't happened to me. No
personality issues at all. It just does bohter me when people make
blanket statements about a drug, etc that just aren't true. for many of
us Metformin works very well adn the extended release versions solves the
major probleminvolving gastric issues. I find I keep havign to repeat
this almost every time Todd talks about the drug.

There are always peole who find a certain drug disagrees with them. the
next thing you know, is that they are condemning it for everyone and on a
food group , not a group about the medical issues of the disease.

We were discussing turkey recipes not drugs here.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 11/22/2013 12:59 PM, Cheri wrote:
> : > I would assume that the posters that it applied to would respond,
> others
> : > wouldn't, but sometimes people just want to be ****y and take
> exception
> : > to even the most innocent posts.
>
> : Hi Cheri,
>
> : She might be on Metformin. Makes you think negative things
> : are happening all around you. And that people are attacking
> : you, when they are not.
>
> : -T
>
> AFter some 17 years on Metformin(ex) it hasn't happened to me. No
> personality issues at all. It just does bohter me when people make
> blanket statements about a drug, etc that just aren't true. for many of
> us Metformin works very well adn the extended release versions solves the
> major probleminvolving gastric issues. I find I keep havign to repeat
> this almost every time Todd talks about the drug.

Yes. I am getting tired of this as well. Not sure how many years I have
taken it but off and on (mostly on I suppose) for close to 15 years. My dad
takes it and so does Angela. It did give her the big D at the highest dose.
But luckily, 1500 mg works out well for her. Is enough to bring the insulin
resistance and her A1c down. Insulin resistance is still too high but A1c
is in normal range.

If anything, it *improved* our personalities because we just didn't feel
well prior to taking it. I was very snappish. Partially due to having
chronic big D myself, presumably from the high BG. And I was constantly
hungry. Took months for the big D to go away, but I also didn't know of my
food intolerances back then and I was eating a lot of eggs and cottage
cheese. I'm sure that didn't help. And neither did my being hyperthyroid.
That caused the food to rush right through me. Clearly there is no one size
fits all here.

I have had bad reactions to many meds. But I would never assume that others
will have the same. Of course if I do see/hear someone complaining of those
side effects and I know they are on that med, I will mention it. But I
won't just assume that because I can't take it, they can't either.

Also, there can be a variety of reasons why a med causes us problems.
Thankfully the big D isn't chronic for me now but... When it was, I bought
the Kirkland (Costco) brand of Imodium and got really annoyed when it only
seemed to make the problem worse. Then I read online that it has dairy in
it. Oops! There was me, failing to do what I know to do. Read every
label, every time! Sometimes it isn't the med itself that we are reacting
to but a color or filler or...who knows?

Same goes for two eye ointments that cause me to have an allergic reaction.
It isn't the med. I can use that med topically and no problem. But when
put in an eye ointment, big problem!

> There are always peole who find a certain drug disagrees with them. the
> next thing you know, is that they are condemning it for everyone and on a
> food group , not a group about the medical issues of the disease.
>
> We were discussing turkey recipes not drugs here.

Yes, we were. I need to locate some drumsticks and look up a recipe but...
I think the only seasonings I used were celery and onion when I made them.
There may have been salt, pepper, parsley and even sage but it wasn't
exotic. I do know that the year I did them BBQ style, he did not like them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 11/22/2013 05:45 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>>> Todd > wrote:
>>> : On 11/22/2013 12:59 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>> : > I would assume that the posters that it applied to would respond,
>>> others
>>> : > wouldn't, but sometimes people just want to be ****y and take
>>> exception
>>> : > to even the most innocent posts.
>>>
>>> : Hi Cheri,
>>>
>>> : She might be on Metformin. Makes you think negative things
>>> : are happening all around you. And that people are attacking
>>> : you, when they are not.
>>>
>>> : -T
>>>
>>> AFter some 17 years on Metformin(ex) it hasn't happened to me. No
>>> personality issues at all.

>> You wouldn't know, unless others around you complain. It
>> sneaks up on you.
>>

> Nonsense! There are days when I am a bitch and I do know it! I will even
> warn those around me not to mess with me then. Thankfully it happens far
> less now than it did when I was younger. Probably hormone related. I would
> just wake up and realize that nothing was going to please me that day. Not
> even food! So not a good time to go out to eat. Best I should just not get
> dressed and try to sleep if off if I can. I don't work now but if I do
> have to go out, I try to avoid people as best I can. If I have to shop, it
> is a quick in and out trip.

Especially when numbers are high!

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> You wouldn't know, unless others around you complain. It
>>> sneaks up on you.
>>>

>> Nonsense! There are days when I am a bitch and I do know it! I will even
>> warn those around me not to mess with me then. Thankfully it happens far
>> less now than it did when I was younger. Probably hormone related. I
>> would just wake up and realize that nothing was going to please me that
>> day. Not even food! So not a good time to go out to eat. Best I should
>> just not get dressed and try to sleep if off if I can. I don't work now
>> but if I do have to go out, I try to avoid people as best I can. If I
>> have to shop, it is a quick in and out trip.

> Especially when numbers are high!

Yes!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 11/22/2013 05:45 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Todd > wrote:
: > : Hi Cheri,
: >
: > : She might be on Metformin. Makes you think negative things
: > : are happening all around you. And that people are attacking
: > : you, when they are not.
: >
: > : -T
: >
: > AFter some 17 years on Metformin(ex) it hasn't happened to me. No
: > personality issues at all.

: You wouldn't know, unless others around you complain. It
: sneaks up on you.

I have grown kids. If this were happenign to me they would be the first
to tell me:-)

: > It just does bohter me when people make
: > blanket statements about a drug, etc that just aren't true. for many of
: > us Metformin works very well adn the extended release versions solves the
: > major probleminvolving gastric issues. I find I keep havign to repeat
: > this almost every time Todd talks about the drug.

: Is that all it takes to get you to write me? :-)

Not writin to you, but to those who read you.

: >
: > There are always peole who find a certain drug disagrees with them. the
: > next thing you know, is that they are condemning it for everyone and on a
: > food group , not a group about the medical issues of the disease.

: I was cutting her a break, if she was on Met. If you are, you turn
: into a crab ass and don't realize it. You have to rely on those
: around you to let you know if you are affected. Then, if you
: stay on the drug, you have to take extra steps not to fly off the
: handle, jump to conclusions, and take off the CRANKY PANTS.
: You really do think folks are picking on you, when you snap
: at them.

Notice that you say" if you are(on Met) you turn into a crab ass..." The
absolutism of your remark is incredible! One to one correlation I guess.
Met+ crabby nasty person. I really don't see the evidence for this and
i have known many peole on Met. How many do you know adn what % of them
are crabby when talking to someoone who doesn't accuse them of, by
definition, haveign to be crabby>

) : > : > We were discussing turkey
recipes not drugs here. : >

: I am waiting. I know you are a great cook. :-)

I sent my turkey information ealier on a thread started by Susan.

: > Wendy
: >
Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan > wrote:

: I use Emeril's poultry blend for the deep fried turkey after dry brining
: it. For the spatchcocked turkey I'm making to send home as leftovers
: (doesn't usually end up on the dinner table), I'll use a compound butter
: under the skin an some whole sage leaves, and butter, s and fgbp on the
: outside.

: I'm too pooped to do it all in the two days before the holiday, so I've
: made my gravy and savory cranberry sauce and frozen them. This weekend
: I'll make the mashed rutabaga, stuffing and twice baked potatoes and
: freeze them all... there's no loss of quality I've found. Just bought
D you cook the stuffing(outside the bird, of course) before or after you
have frozen it? I usually do mine up on Wednsaady adn refrig it unbaked
adn then put it in under the turkey(on a lower shelf, not in the pan with
the bird) for a hour or so so it is freshly cooked.

IIRC you do a version of susan Stambler's cranberry dish. Kind of hot adn
sweet.

: bagettes to stale for stuffing. And fresh parsley, sage, rosemary and
: thyme for the stuffing. I'm defrosting my last container of home made
: stock. The day before T day, I'll make the glazed sweet potato and
: apple dish baked til almost done, and on T day morning I'll cut up
: shallots and brown chopped bacon and save some grease and use all to
: make sauted green beans while the turkey's being carved.

: I'm having work done on the house, the new freezer I had delivered today
: isn't working right (the door is ice cold) and I'm not feeling well, so
: not just cooking it all in the two days before the holiday. I've done
: loads in the dishwasher of china, wine and champagne glasses and lots of
: plastic take out containers I've saved all year to send food home with
: guests in.

: I'm due for a coma.

Yup!! and an insanity test:-) Feel better soon! I am doing more than I
should this yearbut I am supposed to be gettign hep from my 2 D-I-Ls adn
one is bringing fancy disposibles as I have no dishwasher now tht Syd is
gone:-) I shall put the 11 and 5 year old to settign the table so some
jobs will be given to others. We all have to watch out for the Mac Truck,
who is in the terrible 2's and will get into everything including the
garbage pail!!
Cranberry sauce tomorrow adn take turkey out of the freezerinto the
fridge. Monday big shopping after making my list adn checkign ittwice.
On tuesday I will have to shop for the stuff I forgot Moday. Also get
Channuka presents for kids into separate grab bags(One gift a day while
they are here). Wednesday is clean and season turkey(It's kosher so comes
prebrined:-) prepare vegs for stuffing. Make Ppumpkind custard. I am
trying Trader Joe's soy milk thsi year. Its lot's chaper than the usual
brands. Have kids coming in at all hours looking for breakfast, mid
morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner etc. I can t set table ahad
as I am feeding 6 of us breakfast on tThursday-same dining foyer! At lest
I will have the boards in earier.

And so it goes. Trying to keep it simpler this year. Ha! Never as
ambitious as Susan, but enough chaos for me!

: Susan

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 11/22/2013 05:09 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
: > On 11/22/2013 12:25 PM, Todd wrote:
: >> Hi All,
: >>
: >> Mine are
: >> -T
: >>
: >> ya'all getting ready for the Gran Prix of all cooking days?
: >>
: >> Hoping I can find some asparagus!
: >>
: >
: > Granulated garlic, black pepper, Bell's Seasoning and paprika.

: Hi Janet,

: I keep seeing paprika in seasoning mixes. Are you shooting
: for a bar-b-que flavor?

: Bell's Ingredients:
: Rosemary, Oregano, Sage, Ginger, Marjoram, Thyme, and Pepper.

: Marjoram (which I hate) and Ginger. I wonder is the Marjoram
: synergies with the other spices to come up with something
: I would like. Fascinating!

: I wonder what would happen if I added a bit of paprika to
: my mix?

: Thank you for sharing!

: -T

Unless you use either hot or smoked paprica addign it toanything mostly
will turn it redder but not add much taste.

Bells is a nice combination and makes the job easier. also try getting
turkey parts with the skin on rather than cutlets which are rather dull
and require all that frying. You can get drumsticks, wings thighs, bottom
quatrters breasts, half breasts, with and without bones. I prefer with
bones as it adds flavor to the meat and keeps is from getting too dry.
Left-over carcase bones add to soups too.

As a single person I sometimes buy turkey parts during the
non-thanksgiving time of theyear adn have roast turkey by seasonng it up
like my thanksgiving bird and enjoying a half breas or a few drumsticks or
a thigh for a few days of nice eating.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

if your pan frying cutlets the best way is to use lots of butte and herbs on
medium heat and spooning the butter over them over and over.

dont get distracted..its not exciting but man it will taste like heaven if
you do it.

KROM

"Todd" wrote :

Hi KROM,

Thank you!

I pan fry cutlets. The whole bird to too much for me and I
don't have an oven available). I love your technique of adding
celery and carrots and extra spices (they go everywhere anyway).

No skin on the cutlets. I use tons of butter.

My biggest problem is not standing here with the spatula,
getting distracted (same with eggs), and over cooking things.

Thank your for sharing!

Experienced Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by KROM View Post

"Todd" wrote :

Hi KROM,

Thank you!

I pan fry cutlets. The whole bird to too much for me and I
don't have an oven available). I love your technique of adding
celery and carrots and extra spices (they go everywhere anyway).

No skin on the cutlets. I use tons of butter.

My biggest problem is not standing here with the spatula,
getting distracted (same with eggs), and over cooking things.

Thank your for sharing!
Mine is Onion and Garlic... Which is too much healthy too.....

Marwari Spices and Pulses is a manufacturer of spices used as food flavoring. spicespulses Recipes 0 19-11-2010 04:38 PM
Spices for "turkey gravy"? [email protected] General Cooking 6 24-11-2008 09:42 AM
Turkey brining spices Jenn Preserving 2 06-01-2008 02:37 AM
turkey and spices rose1bud General Cooking 5 28-05-2006 03:06 AM
Lost turkey recipe (skin wrapped stuffed boneless turkey) jammer General Cooking 3 23-11-2003 12:05 AM