Old 13-11-2013, 01:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Vegetable/fruit ideas?

On 11/12/2013 4:06 PM, Karen wrote:
On Tue, 12 Nov 2013 14:33:45 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message
On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 23:15:52 -0800, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie,

Please let us know. Are you just complaining to get it off your
chest
or
are you asking for advice? Your post is not clear on that so we
don't
knwo if we should just shut up and listen or should offer you some
suggestions if we have them.

I thought it was pretty clear. Yes, I am complaining. I did ask for
suggestions but I have a feeling there is no answer to this. He won't
eat
hummus, any dips, raw veggies, salad, stir fries... I did buy 5
different
prepared salads of fruit, nuts and meats, also fruit like Waldorf and a
vegetable slaw. Also a prepared chef's salad.

Not really sure what else there is. Angela and I mainly eat either
canned
green beans, other beans or raw veggies. He said he won't eat beans
either.
Would not touch the bean relish that I made.

We are not fruit lovers so I don't want to buy fruit to have to throw
it
out. I did buy two cups of watermelon. He did just eat one. And I
bought
cottage cheese with pineapple.

I think it might all boil down to him being as my FIL used to put it,
"difficult". Perhaps if someone could just agree with me on that, it
would
help. Because he is making me feel like *I* am doing something wrong
by
not
giving him the right food. But... If he can't tell me what the right
food
is, specifically, then I am always wrong. Right? I think...

Stop trying to read his mind! Let him go grocery shopping himself.

He won't and currently can't. He is at the moment more disabled than me
but
won't get into that here.

Can you give him pen and paper and have him write suggested veggies
and fruit and work off of his list? Then if he complains tell him to
be quiet. At that point if he still complains you know he is either
just a cranky old man (yes, younger ones can be that ;-) or just
being difficult to annoy you.

I have tried that and I do tell him to shut up all the time. I do know he
is suffering right now but there is nothing I can do about that. I have
tried to buy/feed him only the foods that are purported not to make his
medical condition worse and perhaps even make it better but he does not want
those foods. Alas his favorite foods only aggravate the condition and
won't be a party to that.

Sorry. I don't know what to say then. It sounds like no matter what
you do he will be unhappy. Just do the best you can and try not to
take it personal.

Now *THAT* is funny :-)))))))

Old 13-11-2013, 01:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

"Julie Bove" wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
[...]

That would be my suggestion. Not only would I *let* him shop for
himself, I would insist on it. Within a few days of his being
"difficult" he would also be cooking for himself. There's always a can
of Dinty Moore Beef Stew in the pantry if mine wanted to act like that. LOL

Damn!
And I thought you are only nasty to your online acquaintances.

Old 13-11-2013, 04:31 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message
On 11/11/2013 6:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Frankly I am about ready to kick him to the curb over this but...
Husband is wanting fruit and vegetables and not the food I have been
serving him, which has been a wide variety of things. But... Always
with a salad to start, which he does not eat. Complaints range from not
enough dressing to too much dressing to that he wants real food and not
that. *sigh* Of course I have tried dressing on the side and changing
dressings. He is no help as to what dressing he will eat. I just try
to give what he orders in a restaurant.

I stopped buying fruit aside from what Angela and I eat because he just
wasn't eating it! We have a banana tree and I just threw out a bowl of
little apples and oranges. He said he didn't see them. Nor did he see
the grapes in the fridge. Or the pears. This after I had quit buying
and he insisted that he needed fruit.

I have thrown out countless kinds of raw veggies that Angela and I won't
eat or have tried to work them into a stir fry when they were a bit past
their prime, only to have him not eat them.

I have cut up raw veggies, bought hummus and other dips for him. He
complained that the dips had too much fat so I bought "light" or "lite"
dip. We always have bean dip in the house. All go uneaten. So do the
pricey little packages of cut up veggies and fruit with cheese cubes or
a dip. *sigh*

Any cooked foods that I leave in the fridge for him to eat, go uneaten
unless perhaps I am here to heat them up, but again he will usually
complain. He likes to eat what he calls "pops", frozen strawberry fruit
bars with HFCS in them, chips, cookies, muffins, sandwiches, etc. Seems
no matter what I serve him, this is what he resorts to. And if I don't
have these things in the house, he complains that I don't have them.

I rather feel like I am in a no win situation. But is there something I
am missing here? Angela and I have no problems getting our own food and
much of the time we do eat raw veggies. I have been on a bean tostada
kick and those things are super easy to make. I just microwave them. No
cooking involved. But he even complains about those because it isn't
enough food for him.

So is there something I am missing here? Is there some sort of food in
the fruit/veg category that I could just leave in the fridge for him?
And that he could serve himself? I have even tried the prepared
fruit/veg trays. The problem with those is that he either won't touch
them or won't eat some of the food they contain. Like tomatoes or
blueberries. Sometimes he will eat the cut up melon things. Sometimes
not. But they have to come that way. If I cut them up, he won't touch
them. Also seems incapable of heating up something that I have
prepared. Like soup or a stir fry. *sigh*

There is probably no answer for this but I thought I would try. Thanks!

Maybe the man just needs a new cook.

Maybe the cook just needs a new man.

pavane

Old 14-11-2013, 04:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/13/2013 8:31 AM, pavane wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

You are new here, aren't you?

Old 16-11-2013, 02:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote in message
[...]

It's amazing how it's always his (JB's husband) fault.

She won't kick him to the curb over this, she needs his money.

Old 16-11-2013, 02:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
It's amazing how it's always his (JB's husband) fault.

She won't kick him to the curb over this, she needs his money.

He's hardly wealthy and why are you here?

Old 16-11-2013, 05:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
It's amazing how it's always his (JB's husband) fault.

She won't kick him to the curb over this, she needs his money.

He's hardly wealthy and why are you here?

To troll. The sock puppets abound.

Cheri

Old 16-11-2013, 07:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
It's amazing how it's always his (JB's husband) fault.

She won't kick him to the curb over this, she needs his money.

He's hardly wealthy and why are you here?

To troll. The sock puppets abound.

Yeah. More of them than real posters.

Old 16-11-2013, 04:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:40:38 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
.. .
It's amazing how it's always his (JB's husband) fault.

She won't kick him to the curb over this, she needs his money.

He's hardly wealthy and why are you here?

You have repeatedly stated in your blog posts why you keep him around
even though you do not love him. It has always come down to your lack
of finances.

I am here because I feel like it. You don't like it? Oh well, it
won't kill you. And no-one here is ever going to seek your
permission.

Old 16-11-2013, 04:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 21:52:26 -0800, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
It's amazing how it's always his (JB's husband) fault.

She won't kick him to the curb over this, she needs his money.

He's hardly wealthy and why are you here?

To troll. The sock puppets abound.

Cheri

I am surprised you defend her abuse of her husband.

Old 17-11-2013, 02:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
It's amazing how it's always his (JB's husband) fault.

She won't kick him to the curb over this, she needs his money.

He's hardly wealthy and why are you here?

To troll. The sock puppets abound.

Cheri

I am surprised you defend her abuse of her husband.

I am surprised that you are only here to abuse her. I try not to look inside
someone elses marriage because there are ALWAYS two sides to every story.

Cheri

Old 17-11-2013, 02:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/11/2013 8:00 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
Also seems incapable of heating up something that I have
prepared. Like soup or a stir fry. *sigh*

A copy & paste from a post you made to this group on October 28, 2013 in
the 'fennel stalks' thread: "Well, nobody in this house will eat a stir
fry so that's out. But thanks!"

So, which is it?

--
BessieBee

"The pessimist see difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees
opportunity in every difficulty."
....Sir Winston Churchill
Old 17-11-2013, 06:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
On Fri, 15 Nov 2013 18:40:38 -0800, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
. ..
It's amazing how it's always his (JB's husband) fault.

She won't kick him to the curb over this, she needs his money.

He's hardly wealthy and why are you here?

You have repeatedly stated in your blog posts why you keep him around
even though you do not love him. It has always come down to your lack
of finances.

I don't have blog posts and I have never stated why I keep him around. I do
not have a lack of finances. But I do not have a lot. And neither does he.
But he (like most males), has more than I do!

I am here because I feel like it. You don't like it? Oh well, it
won't kill you. And no-one here is ever going to seek your
permission.

Didn't say that they did.

Old 17-11-2013, 06:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
It's amazing how it's always his (JB's husband) fault.

She won't kick him to the curb over this, she needs his money.

He's hardly wealthy and why are you here?

To troll. The sock puppets abound.

Cheri

I am surprised you defend her abuse of her husband.

You think I abuse my husband? Ha! I do his shopping and cooking and all
sorts of other things. That's abuse?

Old 17-11-2013, 06:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
It's amazing how it's always his (JB's husband) fault.

She won't kick him to the curb over this, she needs his money.

He's hardly wealthy and why are you here?

To troll. The sock puppets abound.

Cheri

I am surprised you defend her abuse of her husband.

I am surprised that you are only here to abuse her. I try not to look
inside someone elses marriage because there are ALWAYS two sides to every
story.

Yes. And I am certainly not here to discuss my marriage.