Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Recipe: tomato sauce from scratch

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:06:41 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> wrote:

>On 10/22/2013 06:44 PM, Todd wrote:
>> On 10/10/2013 06:24 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> You guys are a blessing and have created a
>>> monster. :-)
>>>
>>> I figured out how to make tomato sauce (which
>>> I call spaghetti sauce) from scratch. As low
>>> bad stuff (carbs) as a tomato sauce can get.
>>>
>>> I have never tasted tomato sauce this good! YUM!
>>> T2 is not a curse!
>>>
>>> Okay. The secret is to start out with tomatoes
>>> with a great flavor. (Store bought sauce makes up
>>> for this by adding sugar.)
>>>
>>> And, the garlic is to add a "buttery" taste. If
>>> you can taste strong garlic, you used to much.
>>> (No cracks from the peanut gallery, unless they
>>> are funny.)
>>>
>>> Heat up a stainless steel saute pan. Medium high
>>> (hot!). You want the pan hot before tossing in
>>> the tomatoes.
>>>
>>> Chop up 5 giant (5") organic heirloom tomatoes. Do not
>>> discard the juice.
>>>
>>> Toss about a tomato's worth into the "hot" pan. Wait till
>>> you get some browning. This adds flavor. (Don't
>>> worry about messing up your stainless steel pan, the
>>> acid in the tomatoes makes it self cleaning.)
>>> Scrape and stir in the browning with a spatula.
>>>
>>> Add the remaining tomatoes. Drizzle with out 3 Tablespoons
>>> of Olive Oil. Don't add anything thing else at this
>>> point. There is a chemical reaction between the tomatoes
>>> and the olive oil that needs to take place.
>>>
>>> Stir every five minutes with a spatula, scrapping the
>>> bottom of the pan. Takes about 30 minutes. You are
>>> waiting for the tomatoes to break down. Until you get
>>> there, you will just have chunks of cooked tomato.
>>>
>>> What you are now waiting for is the tomatoes to break down
>>> into a paste.
>>>
>>> While your are boiling down the tomatoes to a paste,
>>> all on the same plate (I use a paper plate),
>>> --> chop up 1/2" slab of organic onion
>>> --> slice up two cloves of garlic (not 2 bulbs!)
>>> --> 1 flat tsp of organic dried oregano
>>> --> 1/2 flat tsp of organic dried basil
>>> --> 3 tablespoons of organic butter
>>> --> 1 flat tablespoon sea salt
>>>
>>> Once the tomatoes cook down into a paste, reduce the
>>> heat to medium and dump the plate into the newly
>>> created tomato paste. Stir while scraping with a
>>> spatula. Cook for about 10 more minutes to cook
>>> the onion and to meld the flavors of the remaining
>>> ingredients. Don't over cook, or you will loose
>>> the buttery flavor of the garlic.
>>>
>>> Makes about seven cups.
>>>
>>> Store in the refrigerator. Spoon out all week
>>> as a yummy topping. This has bad stuff (carbs),
>>> so don't go crazy.
>>>
>>> Common mistakes:
>>>
>>> 1) not cooking the tomatoes long enough
>>> 2) using too much garlic (who me? NEVER!)
>>> 3) using too much onion.
>>> 4) adding the other ingredients before the tomatoes
>>> are ready
>>> 5) adding the olive oil before the tomatoes. You WILL get
>>> splashed with hot oil (it hurts and creates a mess)!
>>>
>>> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2682/2
>>>

>>> 1 large (3") tomato: 7 grams of the bad stuff (carbs)
>>>
>>> Estimating five giant (5 inch) heirloom tomatoes:
>>> 5"/3" * 7 grams per 3" tomato * 5 tomatoes ~= 58 grams carbs.
>>> Or approximately 8.3 grams bad stuff per cup
>>> Or approximately 1/2 gram per tablespoon
>>>
>>> -T
>>>

>> Hi All,
>>
>> Update:
>>
>> The bad new is that Heirloom tomatoes are officially
>> out of season. :'( :'( :'(
>>
>> The good news is that I made my sauce with 8 Trader
>> Joe's, picked too green and left to ripen on my
>> counter for a week, beef steak tomatoes (~4").
>>
>> Her Tropheyness pronounced it the best sauce she
>> had ever tasted. :-)
>>
>> -T
>>

>Hi All,
>
>Update:
>
>On Susan's recommendation (thank you Susan!) I found
>some bottled organic tomatoes from Italy at Raley's
>over in the health food section, on sale too, called
>"Jovial" whole pealed tomatoes. They are very good.
>And go very well in my tomato sauce. Great sub
>for when heirlooms are out of season.
>
>-T
>
>Just over the hill is California's great central
>valley, with some of the world's greats farms. I
>wish I could get some organic bottled tomatoes
>from them. Probably a lot cheaper too.

Not really any cheaper, from my observation. I live in the central
valley. Fresh produce may be cheaper but not canned. I also shop the
health food section at our local Raley's. I usually buy Full Circle
organic tomatoes when I buy canned.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:06:41 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> > wrote:

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Update:
>>>
>>> The bad new is that Heirloom tomatoes are officially
>>> out of season. :'( :'( :'(
>>>
>>> The good news is that I made my sauce with 8 Trader
>>> Joe's, picked too green and left to ripen on my
>>> counter for a week, beef steak tomatoes (~4").
>>>
>>> Her Tropheyness pronounced it the best sauce she
>>> had ever tasted. :-)
>>>
>>> -T
>>>

>>Hi All,
>>
>>Update:
>>
>>On Susan's recommendation (thank you Susan!) I found
>>some bottled organic tomatoes from Italy at Raley's
>>over in the health food section, on sale too, called
>>"Jovial" whole pealed tomatoes. They are very good.
>>And go very well in my tomato sauce. Great sub
>>for when heirlooms are out of season.
>>
>>-T
>>
>>Just over the hill is California's great central
>>valley, with some of the world's greats farms. I
>>wish I could get some organic bottled tomatoes
>>from them. Probably a lot cheaper too.

> Not really any cheaper, from my observation. I live in the central
> valley. Fresh produce may be cheaper but not canned. I also shop the
> health food section at our local Raley's. I usually buy Full Circle
> organic tomatoes when I buy canned.

Produce was not cheap when I lived in CA and overall it's not cheap here.
But when I lived in NY, I could get grown in CA peppers and grown in WA
apples at Family Fruit and they were far cheaper there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Karen" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:06:41 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
>> > wrote:

>>>Hi All,
>>>
>>>Update:
>>>
>>>On Susan's recommendation (thank you Susan!) I found
>>>some bottled organic tomatoes from Italy at Raley's
>>>over in the health food section, on sale too, called
>>>"Jovial" whole pealed tomatoes. They are very good.
>>>And go very well in my tomato sauce. Great sub
>>>for when heirlooms are out of season.
>>>
>>>-T
>>>
>>>Just over the hill is California's great central
>>>valley, with some of the world's greats farms. I
>>>wish I could get some organic bottled tomatoes
>>>from them. Probably a lot cheaper too.

>> Not really any cheaper, from my observation. I live in the central
>> valley. Fresh produce may be cheaper but not canned. I also shop the
>> health food section at our local Raley's. I usually buy Full Circle
>> organic tomatoes when I buy canned.

> Produce was not cheap when I lived in CA and overall it's not cheap here.
> But when I lived in NY, I could get grown in CA peppers and grown in WA
> apples at Family Fruit and they were far cheaper there.

I live in the San Joaquin Valley of CA and seasonal produce is reasonable
here.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 10/27/2013 09:49 PM, Cheri wrote:
>>> Produce was not cheap when I lived in CA and overall it's not cheap
>>> here. But when I lived in NY, I could get grown in CA peppers and
>>> grown in WA apples at Family Fruit and they were far cheaper there.

>> I live in the San Joaquin Valley of CA and seasonal produce is
>> reasonable here.
>>
>> Cheri

> Hi Cheri,
>
> Raley's has central valley Heirloom tomatoes here
> when they are in season. They are a real treat.
> Do you live close enough to a pick your own farm
> to get any fresh picked produce? Oh, now I am
> making myself hungry!

No, I don't pick my own, but I live and used to work at Phillip's Farms, now
Michael David Winery, and they're close enough to go to often. Also the
farmers market is every Thursday through the summer months, pretty
reasonable. We grew our own tomatoes this year. They were very good.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:56:10 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:
>
>"Karen" > wrote in message
>> Not really any cheaper, from my observation. I live in the central
>> valley. Fresh produce may be cheaper but not canned. I also shop the
>> health food section at our local Raley's. I usually buy Full Circle
>> organic tomatoes when I buy canned.

>Produce was not cheap when I lived in CA and overall it's not cheap here.
>But when I lived in NY, I could get grown in CA peppers and grown in WA
>apples at Family Fruit and they were far cheaper there.

That was in the bay area though, wasn't it? I live inland in the
central valley where there is a lot of agriculture.
Karen

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:56:10 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
> > wrote:
>>
>>"Karen" > wrote in message
>>> Not really any cheaper, from my observation. I live in the central
>>> valley. Fresh produce may be cheaper but not canned. I also shop the
>>> health food section at our local Raley's. I usually buy Full Circle
>>> organic tomatoes when I buy canned.

>>Produce was not cheap when I lived in CA and overall it's not cheap here.
>>But when I lived in NY, I could get grown in CA peppers and grown in WA
>>apples at Family Fruit and they were far cheaper there.

> That was in the bay area though, wasn't it? I live inland in the
> central valley where there is a lot of agriculture.
> Karen

Yes. Bay area.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Karen" > wrote in message
>> On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 20:56:10 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

>>>Produce was not cheap when I lived in CA and overall it's not cheap here.
>>>But when I lived in NY, I could get grown in CA peppers and grown in WA
>>>apples at Family Fruit and they were far cheaper there.

>> That was in the bay area though, wasn't it? I live inland in the
>> central valley where there is a lot of agriculture.
>> Karen

> Yes. Bay area.

Everything is much more expensive in the Bay Area.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> Everything is much more expensive in the Bay Area.

Probably.