Old 06-12-2013, 11:28 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Basmati Rice

"GysdeJongh" JonghSevenHundredElevenAtPlanet.nl wrote in message
.. .

I like to cook Basmati rice in a steam pan. Cook 5 min in the lower part
just under water. Then 5 min in the upper, sieve, part. Then add a tuna
steak and a tin of black beans in the same upper part on the rice and
steam for 6 min more.

My idea is move a lot and eat less of better food.
Worked for the last 5 years
Gys

Never heard of that kind of pan. I mostly made mine into Spanish rice but
the giant bag of brown that I got at Costco is all used up now. Much prefer
Texmati as it doesn't require all the cleaning.

Mine would never come out the same way twice. I would always start by
browning the rice in some olive oil. For the liquid, I would add at least
part tomato product be it sauce, salsa, chopped tomatoes in juice, whatever
I had in the house. Would also add a lot of chopped bell pepper and white
onion but... Since brown rice takes so long to cook, I would sauté these in
a separate pan and mix in at the end of cooking. Usually added cooked
ground beef or some cooked beans. Seasonings would be sea salt, chili
powder and if I had it, some cilantro. I always keep the proportion of
vegetables and protein quite high and this was served as a meal. I find if
you can see a little rice in every bite, it is satisfying.

Alas, I made this meal far too often and burned everyone out on it trying to
use up that huge bag of rice. But it was cheap eats!

Old 06-12-2013, 01:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/5/2013 11:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Todd wrote:
: : proper way of output cooked rice. Which will be suitable for
Fried rice,
: : Briyani, or any desert food items.
: : --
: : clinicaltrials
:
: All this may be true, but why is it of interest to diabetics, who
much
: control their carb intake, meaning only occasional or tiny amount
of rice
: so why spend all this time and bandwidth on it in this group?
:
: Wendy
:

: Hi Wendy,

: 1+

: Young lady, you are a brave woman. Any minute now the high carb,
: low fat, high drug Diabetics are going to come out of the woodwork
: and carpet bomb you with industry studies showing high carb diets
: are actually good for Diabetics.

: Wendy is right of course. So if any of you are going to get
: mad at her, get mad at me too.

: -T

: Hi Rakhi,

: Basmati rice is one of the high carb foods that gave me
: carbohydrate poisoning (also knows as T2 Diabetes). You
: SHOULD NOT be using it. And eliminate or sharply curb
: all your grains.

: And remember grains are simply carriers favor other flavors.
: Spread your favorite flavors on something low carb.

: -T

: Oh boy am ever going to catch s--- for the above remarks.

Todd, a word to the wise should be sufficient! No diabetics I know,
including those who don't share your very low carb method of controling
your disease eat rice with either frequancy or abandon as you would like
to imply. Everyone limits their carbs , but to varying degrees.
think of
it as a continum, not an either or and what works for one does not work
for all.

this, as has beenmentioned, is the diabetic food group. Long lectures
really are not necessary. Notice that I spoke briefly.

rice is not a part of a Western diabetic's diet in nay quantity. I don't
know how they manage in Asia where it is such a large part of the basic
diet, with vegetables and meat uused almost as condiments with teh staple
rice. That is not a big issue in this group so dont' try to make each
post a "lesson" in your "wonderful" system that makes all other systems
"terrible," which is how you come off.

Wendy

Indeed! Todd won't see this as I am in his killfile.

You keep saying. Does it bother you?

I am not a low
carber and I do eat rice, mainly only when my stomach is acting up and I
can't digest much of anything else but even I can't eat unlimited
amounts of it.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
:
: : And yes, I do know high carb diabetics. I think the practice
: : is really stupid, but to each his own. One almost killed himself.
: : His right. I never accused anyone on this group of doing it.
:
: : -T
: what you call high carb diabetics are those who refuse to make dietary
: ajustments and likd to play ostrich, or say I tak e my pill so I cnaeat
: whatever I like. they exxist far to frequently, but NOT ON THESE LISTS.
: We have disagreements ofabout the degree of carb limitation, but don't
: think that Randy, say, eats pots of carbs to th exclusion of protein, etc.
: He may well eat a moderate amount of carbs adn far less fat than you do,
: but he is not running around eating pots of basmati or other rice, etc.
: He eats moderately and watches his bgs etc. You keep screamng abut poison
: carbs, and I ony eat 15 grams a meal, etc as if everyone here is pigging
: out on nothing but carbs all day. It is insulting to the group who are
: mostly here sot share experiences or information, although som eon ASD
: aseem to be here because they love to argue and seem happy to argue with
: anyone if it seems fun to them.
:
: We all know diabetes deniers but they don't come to ASD or this diabetic
: food group . submit your recipes or your questions onhow to cook with
: your limited facilities, but don't keep screaming carb poison, etc. You
: really are still very new to all this and someof yoru problem is still
: being so excited about finding a way to control this scary disease that
: you become a prosyletizer(sp?) Sstop preaching to the converted. We know
: to limit carbs to the degree that works for us and keeps our bgs where we
: want them to be unless we have some other health issues that preclude us
: form beign able to do this.
:
: Wendy
:
:

: Hi Wendy,

: I never said any of that stuff. I don't know any high carb
: diabetics on this list. Who are you really arguing with?

: -T

You constantly preach very low carb , using th term carb poison, etc.
Your constant mention of high carb diabetics on this list, seems to imply
that those who disagree with your very low carb diet are such people. You
don't have to point a finger and name a person to , by replying in the
tome you use, look to be accusing those who do not follow your very low
carb, high fat diet are all hig carb diabetics who are kiooing themselves.

there are several wys to control T2 diabetes including moderation in carb
eating and ujudicious use of medication as well as very low carb. use of
these other methods does not make someone an ostriching hig carb eatign
diabetic, but you constatnly imply this. Watch the way you write things
adn think before you post.

Wendy
Old 06-12-2013, 11:30 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stop crossposting, dumbass.

Cheri

"Don Roberto" wrote in message

Where you been?
Thinking of something nasty to post shouldn't take a week or two.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 12/06/2013 11:21 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: I never said any of that stuff. I don't know any high carb
: diabetics on this list. Who are you really arguing with?

: -T

You constantly preach very low carb , using th term carb poison, etc.

"Preach" is a pejorative.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pejorative?s=t
having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect
or force

I do not "preach" any more than you do. Don't be insulting.

Ha! You do and I called you on it right when you came here. Others stuck
up for you but now I see they are starting to have the same opinion of you
that I do! And I have never seen Wendy preach to anyone.

And, this is a "Diabetic Food" group. Excess carbs "are"
poisonous. They give you T2. So is too much water. And
water is good for Diabetics. You are free to disagree as
long as you are not disagreeable. Same rules apply to me.

Bullshit! Carbs do not give you anything. Especially not diabetes. I used
to have a dish of brightly colored candy on my coffee table. I no longer
have the coffee table or the candy. I like the candy because it was pretty.
And once in a while a guest would eat some. But I never did. I didn't even
like it. Just liked the way it looked when the sun shone through it. But a
person said to me that I got diabetes because of that dish of candy that I
always had. Sounds about as plausible as what you said!

Your constant mention of high carb diabetics on this list,

Actually, now that I think about it, there are some. Maya (a T3c
diabetic) is one. On the support group she elucidated on
exactly how she does it. I am sure if you asked her to, I am
sure she would repeat it for you.

Maya has other medical issues besides diabetes just like I do. There is no
one size fits all diet. You wouldn't have to follow her diet because you
don't have her other medical conditions. Just like you wouldn't follow a
diet for gastroparesis which is what I have. Why don't you tell all people
not to eat cilantro? Your wife can't eat it so why shouldn't it apply to
everyone else? Makes as much sense. Right?

There are others too, but I forget their names. One guy, who
some times visits here from the support group, wrote me
all kinds of (industry sponsored no doubt) studies and
his personal experience on how he does it.

So? If his diet works for him... Great!

The one who asked how to cook rice would be another. The one who
eats Oat Meal for breakfast would be another. Those that offset
carbs with fiber "may" (watch the weasel word) also quality.

Again... So? If those foods work for them, great! Why should it bother
you? And there is no weasel word there. You sure seem to like to add
cutesy names to things.

Of the people who share cooking tips on this group, as far as
I can tell, there are no high carb diabetics. You definitely are
not. Both our diets are pretty similar, by the way.

They are? You keep kosher? Huh! That lasagna recipe that you posted
didn't sound kosher. Did you use Daiya cheese?

seems to imply
that those who disagree with your very low carb diet are such people.

I am sorry Wendy, but you are dreaming that up.

I am getting really angry with these attacks on Wendy. Almost as angry as I
got many years ago on perhaps asd when some guy said some very nasty stuff
to another poster. This is all totally uncalled for. Wendy is one of the
nicest people here!

You
don't have to point a finger and name a person to , by replying in the
tome you use, look to be accusing those who do not follow your very low
carb, high fat diet are all hig carb diabetics who are kiooing
themselves.

I am clear as to what I mean. Don't put words in my mouth. If you
don't understand, just ask.

I think we all understand what you are saying and are getting really fed up
with it.

Remember, I am an engineer. We reference what we write and WE NEVER
PRESUME everyone know what we are talking about. That is why I
explain a lot. If you understand what I mean, it does not mean that
everyone else will. It is intended that you just skip over things
I am explaining that your already know what I am talking about,
unless you just like my prose.

You talk down to people and act like we are clueless. You also seem to
think you are pretty funny. I beg to differ. I am *not* one of the nicest
ones here and I'll tell you exactgly what I think from the git go. I did
that and you killfilled me. Hopefully someone will quote this so you'll see
it. I *would* killfile you except that I feel you are a danger to newbies
here.

This is just the way engineers write. I am not trying to offend
anyone; I am trying to INCLUDE everyone. Do you understand now?
I am not calling anyone a "kook".

No it's not! I know a former engineer at the dance studio and my dad was an
engineer. Neither one write that way at all. Again, you are lumping all
people together like we're all the same. None of us are all the same!

Here is a good rule in engineering writing. Always spell
out your acronyms first and then show the acronym in parenthesis
before using the acronym.

Here is an bad example:
According to the ADA ...

Here is a good example:
According to the Americans for Democratic Action (ADA) ..

Didn't see that one coming, did you. ADA could also mean the
American Dental Association. And no where is that meant to
insult anyone. It is mean to INCLUDE everyone.

Again, you are talking down to us.

there are several wys to control T2 diabetes including moderation in carb
eating and ujudicious use of medication as well as very low carb. use of
these other methods does not make someone an ostriching hig carb eatign
diabetic, but you constatnly imply this. Watch the way you write things
adn think before you post.

I have never said different. I have always been clear that
do what works for you. We both share our opinions and experiences
with others. That is a good thing on both our parts as long as
we are not disagreeable doing it.

Not from what I've seen of what you write. It's do what I say or get
killfiled.

Are you mistaking my statement that you should not abuse
drugs to eats more carbs? I have seen first hand where that
goes.

Ooooooh! My ire is raising again! And I am normally a pretty calm person.
I don't know where you live but I am glad it is not near me because I am
pretty certain I would never want our paths to cross. You are doing exacly
again what several people kindly asked you to stop.

Who exactly are you fighting with?

And it is okay to "preach to the choir". It is called
"reinforcement". That's what friends do.

-T

Actually it's a very good way to lose friends. I learned when I was a kid
that it is never a good idea to preach. Unless of course you are actually a
preacher but since I don't do religion...

My friends and I chit chat and when it comes to medical stuff and diet we
will pass on things we think might be of interest or in some cases ask one
person to investigate something. One of my friends has no Internet at home
but she does work in a pharmacy and has a really good book on drugs. But...
None of us would preach any more than we'd try to teach a pig to sing.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:48 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 12/06/2013 05:40 PM, Todd wrote:
Your constant mention of high carb diabetics on this list,

Actually, now that I think about it, there are some.

Add Julie to the mix. Don was "so kind" as to quote
her so I would see it:

On 12/5/2013 11:39 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
I am not a low carber and I do eat rice

Whatever works for her.

Now you are lying! I am *not* a high carber! I see that you conveniently
snipped the part where I said had I had to watch my portion size or the
amount that I eat...can't remember specifically what I said.

I know people who carb load for runs and things. They are not diabetic.
They might be considered high carbers. Might. I don't like to label
things. But they do not eat high carb all the time either.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Karen" wrote in message

ROFL ! I'm having a strong sense of deja' vu about now. Not directed
at me this time. Sorry Wendy.

*High five!*

Old 07-12-2013, 09:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On 12/6/2013 2:03 AM, GysdeJongh wrote:
Julie Bove wrote:
"GysdeJongh" JonghSevenHundredElevenAtPlanet.nl wrote in message
.. .
W. Baker wrote:
clinicaltrials wrote:

;1875781 Wrote:
Amira Basmati Rice is rice grain

All this may be true, but why is it of interest todiabetics, who
much control their carb intake, meaning only occasional or tiny
amuntf os rice so why spend all this time and bandwidthon it in
this group?

Imprisonment often improves metabolic control in prisoners with type
2 diabetes; however, the reasons for this remain unclear. Here, we
investigated the metabolic control of male prisoners with type 2
diabetes in Japan. During imprisonment, mean fasting plasma glucose
and hemoglobin Alc (HbA1c) levels dramatically decreased from
184+/-74 to 113+/-38mg/dl (p0.001) and 8.4+/-2.1 to 5.9+/-1.2%
(p0.001), respectively. In addition, 5 of 18 prisoners (28%)
treated with insulin and 17 of 34 (50%) treated with oral
hypoglycemic agents were able to discontinue their treatment and
maintain good metabolic control. Most prisoners in Japanese prisons
work 8h a day 5 days a week, consuming a high dietary fiber diet
including boiled rice with barley, "Mugimeshi". These findings
suggest that a well-regulated lifestyle and long-term intake of high
dietary fiber may have beneficial effects on metabolic control in
patients with type 2 diabetes. PMID: 17208326

I read a book about some ballerinas in France in earlier times who
were imprisoned. They said that the diet they got in the prison was
far better than what they could get at the time on the outside. Their
father had died and their mother was an alcoholic. They did
get paid to be in the ballet and they also worked at a laundry. But
pay for women in those days was very paltry. Meals were described on
the outside as a small roll for breakfast if they were lucky, a piece
of cheese for lunch and one in a while a chicken for dinner.

In prison, they didn't get a lot of meat but they had beans almost
daily. I can't remember now if there was rice but there were a lot
of other vegetables and they said the portions were large.

Here, at least from what I have seen on TV, some prisons have stuff
like honey buns available at the commissary but one can only buy it
if they have money in their account and if they don't have
infractions that prevent them from buying. Such things are also
traded among prisoners. But... The meals provided, which might not
be the most appealing, are nutritionally complete and don't include
sweets. So it is likely that the inmates are eating a better diet
than they had before. OTOH, I have seen some pretty big female
inmates on those shows who do love their honey buns.

I like to cook Basmati rice in a steam pan. Cook 5 min in the lower part
just under water. Then 5 min in the upper, sieve, part. Then add a tuna
steak and a tin of black beans in the same upper part on the rice and
steam for 6 min more.

My idea is move a lot and eat less of better food.

+1

Worked for the last 5 years

Wouldn't work for most folks here for a week.
Old 07-12-2013, 09:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Stuck on stupid again?

On 12/6/2013 3:30 PM, Cheri wrote:
Stop crossposting, dumbass.

Cheri

"Don Roberto" wrote in message

Where you been?
Thinking of something nasty to post shouldn't take a week or two.

On 12/5/2013 10:17 PM, Cheri wrote:
Stop crossposting, dumbass.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On 12/6/2013 5:40 PM, Todd wrote:
On 12/06/2013 11:21 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: I never said any of that stuff. I don't know any high carb
: diabetics on this list. Who are you really arguing with?

: -T

You constantly preach very low carb , using th term carb poison, etc.

"Preach" is a pejorative.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pejorative?s=t
having a disparaging, derogatory, or belittling effect
or force

I do not "preach" any more than you do. Don't be insulting.

And, this is a "Diabetic Food" group. Excess carbs "are"
poisonous. They give you T2.

Totally asinine.

So is too much water. And
water is good for Diabetics. You are free to disagree as
long as you are not disagreeable.

You don't make the rules, Bubba!
If I were you, I'd just put everyone in my kill file. Then no one will
disagree or be disagreeable and you will be the indisputable king of the
poop scoop.

Same rules apply to me.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 12/6/2013 7:22 PM, Todd wrote:
On 12/05/2013 09:25 PM, Don Roberto wrote:
Naah.
He really is that infantile.

Hi Don,

That was uncalled for. Infantile would be stalking
those you dislike and who can't even read what you
write.

You are killed filed by the way.

That's the third time you have kill filed me in less than 3 months :-)
Does that mean you are entitled to some sort of price?

Old 07-12-2013, 01:53 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Stop crossposting, dumbass.

Cheri

Old 08-12-2013, 05:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

snip
Oh boy am ever going to catch s--- for the above remarks.

You really are a piece of work and probably just here to troll.

So are you. You quote a multi-quoted message just to add one usless
line.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:59 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozgirl View Post
"bigwheel" wrote in message

;1875781 Wrote:
Amira Basmati Rice is rice grain.. It's longer and has more flavour
and fragrance than normal rice..

'Amira Basmati,indian specialty basmati rice exporter |Amira nature
foods' (
Amira Basmati,indian specialty basmati rice exporter |Amira nature foods)

Its more fragrant and flavorful due to the high percentage of insect
parts and rodent droppings it contains. If full of B Vitamins and
protein. Sorta like eating a T Bone steak,

------------------------

You are kidding, right? Hopefully you are using sarcasm for the OP's
benefit. Rice of any kind is little more than a filler.

--
bigwheel
Nope no kidding.

Basmati Rice machenka eriksen Diabetic 1 09-12-2013 07:41 PM
Basmati rice disappointment spamtrap1888 General Cooking 7 12-02-2013 11:44 PM
Cooking Basmati rice? Corey Richardson[_4_] General Cooking 11 05-12-2008 10:38 PM
Basmati Rice? Ed Nuxters General Cooking 20 20-12-2004 02:58 PM
Basmati Rice Stark General Cooking 2 07-11-2004 06:31 PM