Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Pinzimonio

I discovered a new recipe! Well, sort of. I have actually been eating this
but did not know it. This is an Italian dish. It is basically sticks or
pieces of raw veggies, cut up and dipped in olive oil as you eat them. Some
recipes say that you can additionally dip in sea salt as you eat. And some
say that you can dip in mustard. The big difference here is that they use
raw veggies that I don't normally eat, in addition to those that I do. Like
artichokes and fennel. But some recipes call for lightly blanched veggies
like green beans or lightly grilled ones like eggplant.

I have eaten raw carrots in the past with olive oil because I read somewhere
that the oil helps with the bioavailability of the nutrients in the carrots.
But now I want to try this with other veggies, particularly the fennel! I
have only had fennel once. I roasted it. And there just wasn't enough
because we all loved it.

I am just surprised that I never heard of this before! I have always eaten
raw veggies but usually plain. Once in a while with hummus. I never saw
the appeal of ranch or other dips. And at one restaurant where we haven't
been in a while, we get the raw veggies with Italian dressing for dipping.
That's okay but I like the sound of the plain olive oil.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

So many things are delicious dipped in olive oil,like tose vegetables.

another great dip, I find for raw veggies is cocktail sauce, the kind
peopleuse on shrimp cocktail, etc. Easy to make. Just mixt ketchup or
chili sauce(the Heinz kind, not salsa) with white grated horseradish to
taste adn a little lemon juice and/or tabasco, again to taste and dip
away. It makes a nice zippy easy appetizer or, as they say in Yiddish
vorshpeiz(sp?) {zippy first course}

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : I discovered a new recipe! Well, sort of. I have actually been eating
> this
> : but did not know it. This is an Italian dish. It is basically sticks
> or
> : pieces of raw veggies, cut up and dipped in olive oil as you eat them.
> Some
> : recipes say that you can additionally dip in sea salt as you eat. And
> some
> : say that you can dip in mustard. The big difference here is that they
> use
> : raw veggies that I don't normally eat, in addition to those that I do.
> Like
> : artichokes and fennel. But some recipes call for lightly blanched
> veggies
> : like green beans or lightly grilled ones like eggplant.
>
> : I have eaten raw carrots in the past with olive oil because I read
> somewhere
> : that the oil helps with the bioavailability of the nutrients in the
> carrots.
> : But now I want to try this with other veggies, particularly the fennel!
> : have only had fennel once. I roasted it. And there just wasn't enough
> : because we all loved it.
>
> : I am just surprised that I never heard of this before! I have always
> eaten
> : raw veggies but usually plain. Once in a while with hummus. I never
> saw
> : the appeal of ranch or other dips. And at one restaurant where we
> haven't
> : been in a while, we get the raw veggies with Italian dressing for
> dipping.
> : That's okay but I like the sound of the plain olive oil.
> So many things are delicious dipped in olive oil,like tose vegetables.
>
> another great dip, I find for raw veggies is cocktail sauce, the kind
> peopleuse on shrimp cocktail, etc. Easy to make. Just mixt ketchup or
> chili sauce(the Heinz kind, not salsa) with white grated horseradish to
> taste adn a little lemon juice and/or tabasco, again to taste and dip
> away. It makes a nice zippy easy appetizer or, as they say in Yiddish
> vorshpeiz(sp?) {zippy first course}

I've never tried it as I don't eat shrimp. I do like salsa with stuff
though.