Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 18:41:17 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> We most assuredly had symptoms.

You have never taken an IgG allergy test. When I said there are no
symptoms, I mean no symptoms for the test results that are "false
positives." You can tell IgG allergies by the time delay. They
take anywhere from a few hours to days for symptoms to appear.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 14:49:06 +1000
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Hi Karen, your friend wouldn't be at the starvation level that would
> cause the body to cannabalise her muscles To utilise muscle
> protein you really need to be starving as in no food only water over
> a period of a few weeks and that comes after the normal process of
> production of ketones from fat-burning. Your doctor does surprise me
> though as this is very basic metabolism pathways stuff. If ketosis
> was dangerous there is no way that children who have epilepsy would
> be placed on ketogenic diets for control. I am glad your family
> member is doing better. My nana was found to be eating only jam
> (jelly) sandwiches in her 90's. I remember my mum ended up catching
> a bus to her house (5 miles away) every day just to feed her properly
> and make sure she ate a decent breakfast, lunch and snacks. That way
> if she only ate jam sandwiches for dinner it wasn't a major problem.

If you looked at Dr. Lustig's video, you will see that some patients
are simply unable to lose weight, and I found myself in exactly
that situation. When I didn't eat, I went into hibernation. I
lost fat and muscle both but very slowly. I had so much fat to
lose that I was left weak: unable to run without stumbling. This
is not some theory, but an observation, and if your theory does
not explain it, then I must search for another.

My understanding is that the ketones in the urine that come from
diabetes have nothing to do with ketosis.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 06:07:33 -0700
Don Roberto > wrote:

> As for the Inuit - there isn't enough info about how their "no carb
> diet" effected them as there weren't enough scientific studies done
> before western eating habits caught up with them. What *is* known is
> that Inuit life expectancy was lower than that of Westerners. Even in
> the 21st century Canadians in general live 12 years longer than the
> Inuit.

The Inuit tend to die from smoke-induced cancers. In the 21st
century the Inuit diet has also changed quite a bit. Apparently
one staple now is Crisco smeared on bread.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

Don Roberto stelde de volgende uitleg voor :
> On 10/11/2013 4:20 PM, Maya Zuiderweg wrote:
>> Maya Zuiderweg had uiteengezet :

>>> I totally agree with you.
>>> As a newbie I had very bad experiences with Susan.
>>> She kept telling me how to eat with diabetes (low carb), but I have a
>>> different kind of diabetes (chronic pancreatitis).
>>> She had no knowledge at all about this disease but kept telling me
>>> what to do.
>>> With my disease it's of the utmost importance that my diet is based on
>>> carbohydrates. Absolutely NO low carbing for me.
>>> When it became clear that she didnt know diddlysquat, she killfiled me.
>>> That was quite unnerving for a newbie:-(
>>> But since killfiling does not always work (think of a reply to me by
>>> another poster, who she had not killfiled), she kept on sniping - and
>>> even suggesting that I did not even exist. (as if I could not read
>>> that, very hurtful).

>>> Please do.
>>> M.

>> Please go on reacting like you do - was what I meant.
>> M.
>>

> I got you the first time.
> And yes, I will go on reacting like I do.
> In the words of Martin Luther:
> Hier stehe ich, ich kann nicht anders.

Great. I got entangled in "nope" from you and my "please do".
M.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Hi Karen, your friend wouldn't be at the starvation level that would
> cause the body to cannabalise her muscles To utilise muscle
> protein you really need to be starving as in no food only water over
> a period of a few weeks and that comes after the normal process of
> production of ketones from fat-burning. Your doctor does surprise me
> though as this is very basic metabolism pathways stuff. If ketosis
> was dangerous there is no way that children who have epilepsy would
> be placed on ketogenic diets for control. I am glad your family
> member is doing better. My nana was found to be eating only jam
> (jelly) sandwiches in her 90's. I remember my mum ended up catching
> a bus to her house (5 miles away) every day just to feed her properly
> and make sure she ate a decent breakfast, lunch and snacks. That way
> if she only ate jam sandwiches for dinner it wasn't a major problem.

If you looked at Dr. Lustig's video, you will see that some patients
are simply unable to lose weight, and I found myself in exactly
that situation. When I didn't eat, I went into hibernation. I
lost fat and muscle both but very slowly. I had so much fat to
lose that I was left weak: unable to run without stumbling. This
is not some theory, but an observation, and if your theory does
not explain it, then I must search for another.

My understanding is that the ketones in the urine that come from
diabetes have nothing to do with ketosis.

--------------------

Ketoacidosis can develop very quickly in a diabetic, especially a type 1
(type 2's are not excluded but it does occur, albeit rarely, amongst
type 2's). The key is they are developing kjetones for a different
reason to dietary-induced (or starvation) ketosis.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

>> Not only that but my CDE says if you take in less than a certain amount
>> per day, your brain can't function properly. I think she said that was
>> 135 g per day.

> Your CDE's brain obviously isn't functioning properly. What a load of
> absolute baloney.

I have seen countless other sources that say the same or similar.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 11 Oct 2013 18:41:17 -0700
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> We most assuredly had symptoms.

> You have never taken an IgG allergy test. When I said there are no
> symptoms, I mean no symptoms for the test results that are "false
> positives." You can tell IgG allergies by the time delay. They
> take anywhere from a few hours to days for symptoms to appear.

I have taken the tests three times.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 14:49:06 +1000
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> Hi Karen, your friend wouldn't be at the starvation level that would
>> cause the body to cannabalise her muscles To utilise muscle
>> protein you really need to be starving as in no food only water over
>> a period of a few weeks and that comes after the normal process of
>> production of ketones from fat-burning. Your doctor does surprise me
>> though as this is very basic metabolism pathways stuff. If ketosis
>> was dangerous there is no way that children who have epilepsy would
>> be placed on ketogenic diets for control. I am glad your family
>> member is doing better. My nana was found to be eating only jam
>> (jelly) sandwiches in her 90's. I remember my mum ended up catching
>> a bus to her house (5 miles away) every day just to feed her properly
>> and make sure she ate a decent breakfast, lunch and snacks. That way
>> if she only ate jam sandwiches for dinner it wasn't a major problem.

> If you looked at Dr. Lustig's video, you will see that some patients
> are simply unable to lose weight, and I found myself in exactly
> that situation. When I didn't eat, I went into hibernation. I
> lost fat and muscle both but very slowly. I had so much fat to
> lose that I was left weak: unable to run without stumbling. This
> is not some theory, but an observation, and if your theory does
> not explain it, then I must search for another.
>
> My understanding is that the ketones in the urine that come from
> diabetes have nothing to do with ketosis.

The book I am currently reading on allergies and food intolerances cites
these as the cause for both obesity and asthma.

There is also an interesting part about probiotics which are necessary for
everyone but even more so in the case of a person with food issues. The
book says during the birthing process, the baby passes through the vagina
and picks up natural probiotics from the mother. But, we are often too
quick to wash these off of the baby. Worse still is a C-Section. It says
that C-Section babies tend to have more allergies and asthma than those who
were born naturally.

Factor in breast milk or lack thereof and some of us are screwed. My mom
said I wouldn't nurse so was put on formula or milk but I was allergic to
everything. I did breast feed Angela but couldn't produce nearly enough
milk so had to supplement and she too had issues with every formula on the
market at that time. Breast milk also contains probiotics.

My naturopath said they now know that the function of the appendix is to
make natural probiotics, especially when we are sick. Angela had hers
removed just before her 3rd birthday and her health has all gone downhill
from there. She is on probiotics now.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> I think Karen controls without meds, so I don't think she is over-doing
> the carbs. I remember when I was first diagnosed I was eating 30 gr carb
> per main meal. That worked for a short time and I had to lower it.
> Eventually I was down to about 5 gr for brekky and 10-15 gr at lunch &
> dinner. Snacks were sometimes zero carbs or up to 10 gr. Most of my carbs
> came from non or low starch veggies (and the "free" veggies) and small
> amounts of low GI fruits (berries mostly). I think Karen was the one who
> recently said if it ain't broken why fix it? I apologise if that wasn't
> her

When I was hyperthyroid I could easily eat 45 grams of carb for lunch and
dinner. Only 30 for breakfast. I was still having lots of hypos and had to
eat a lot of candy between meals. Was not on any diabetes meds and was not
having spikes. A1c was in the 4's but I can't remember the exact numbers.
There is no one size fits all in diabetes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.diabetes

On 10/12/2013 12:52 PM, Trawley Trash wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 06:07:33 -0700
> Don Roberto > wrote:
>
>> As for the Inuit - there isn't enough info about how their "no carb
>> diet" effected them as there weren't enough scientific studies done
>> before western eating habits caught up with them. What *is* known is
>> that Inuit life expectancy was lower than that of Westerners. Even in
>> the 21st century Canadians in general live 12 years longer than the
>> Inuit.

> The Inuit tend to die from smoke-induced cancers. In the 21st
> century the Inuit diet has also changed quite a bit. Apparently
> one staple now is Crisco smeared on bread.

Yummy.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 10/13/2013 11:33 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

: >
: > I think Karen controls without meds, so I don't think she is over-doing
: > the carbs. I remember when I was first diagnosed I was eating 30 gr carb
: > per main meal. That worked for a short time and I had to lower it.
: > Eventually I was down to about 5 gr for brekky and 10-15 gr at lunch &
: > dinner. Snacks were sometimes zero carbs or up to 10 gr. Most of my
: > carbs came from non or low starch veggies (and the "free" veggies) and
: > small amounts of low GI fruits (berries mostly). I think Karen was the
: > one who recently said if it ain't broken why fix it? I apologise if that
: > wasn't her

: That is good news to heard. I hate the meds. And I am glad she is
: controlling her numbers.

Meds are not all evil. I have been onthem n moderation just like my carb
intake, for now over 16years. If you can manage without meds that's fine,
but many can't. You throw around terms like carbs are poison, hating
meds, but accepting traditional medicine(herbs, etc.) How do you feel
about the sulfa drugs introduced after 1934? How do I know that date? I
lost a brother before I was even born to a strep infectin in january of
1935. A year later his life would have been saved by a sulfa drug. Hate
meds, not me. I wish I could have knon Jonny, but i never had the chance

Using tons of meds to try to avoid diet adn exercise is foolish
andnon-productive, but meds , when necessary are a Godsend. As Alan S use
to say "all things in moderation except laughter."

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 22:55:24 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > You have never taken an IgG allergy test. When I said there are no
> > symptoms, I mean no symptoms for the test results that are "false
> > positives." You can tell IgG allergies by the time delay. They
> > take anywhere from a few hours to days for symptoms to appear.

> I have taken the tests three times.

The one allergy test I remember was the hair test. I do not think you
have ever taken the ELISA IgG blood test that I am referring to. I am
not sure you understood the difference: only that the hair test was
cheaper.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Oct 2013 22:55:24 -0700
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > You have never taken an IgG allergy test. When I said there are no
>> > symptoms, I mean no symptoms for the test results that are "false
>> > positives." You can tell IgG allergies by the time delay. They
>> > take anywhere from a few hours to days for symptoms to appear.

>> I have taken the tests three times.

> The one allergy test I remember was the hair test. I do not think you
> have ever taken the ELISA IgG blood test that I am referring to. I am
> not sure you understood the difference: only that the hair test was
> cheaper.

I've had the RAST IgG done. The Elisa IgG. And the prick IgE. Of the
three, I think the hair was the most comprehensive. I also had them check
for nutritional deficiencies. Since I've had that done and added more
supplements to our diets, we've been much healthier. I actually didn't have
to add too much. Mine came out pretty good.