Old 27-09-2013, 11:51 AM posted to misc.health.diabetes,alt.support.diabetes,alt.food.diabetic

Default What cereal to eat for Breakfast?

On 9/27/2013 1:20 AM, I Don't Know wrote:
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:07:59 -0500, BessieBee
wrote:

On 9/25/2013 10:56 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

Julie, you're the *last* person on this group who should be commenting
on what is "more popular" for kids' breakfasts. He's grown now, but
when my son was in school his breakfast was cereal sometimes, scrambled
eggs sometimes and occasionally a nicely toasted frozen waffle with real
syrup. This was always accompanied with a glass of milk. After eating
his breakfast he'd usually take a poptart or something with him to eat
on the way to the bus stop.

And, school provided breakfasts weren't only for the poor. Our son ate
his breakfast at school for about a year when his father's and my work
schedules made breakfast at home next to impossible. We paid for those
breakfasts, although I believe those kids that qualified got theirs
free. Those breakfasts consisted of cereal, milk, juice and sometimes
they could also choose a doughnut.

It's all a matter of scheduling. "taking the time to eat a bowl of
cereal" is only a matter of getting the kid(s) up in time. I can't
think of a time when we *ever* had cereal for dinner. A late night
snack perhaps, but certainly not dinner!

It would depend on where you are in the country.

Not to detract from your history, the above statement is true.

When I lived with my in-laws in Georgia briefly (that spouse
died in 1969,) mother-in-law would get up to make me their
traditional breakfast of a fried chicken thigh, grits, and
unpasteurized buttermilk sourced from their cow.

My co-workers have
told me that they have had a hard time getting their wives not to let
their kids eat the same way they (the wives) did when they were kids.
Which was sugary cereals for breakfast, snacks basically any time of
the day or night, because they are cheap in this area. There is a
very large variety of off brand cereals here that come in huge plastic
bags, not boxes, kind of like the over sized bags of pre-popped
popcorn some stores sell. You could spend a few dollars per box on
capn crunch or get 6 times the amount for an off brand that tastes
almost the same and spend less.

I've never allowed that junk in my home. Or rather I've never allowed
us to buy it. When it shows it, it's because someone spending the
night or weekend with us brought it with them.

Personally I love going to breakfast buffets on the weekend so we
don't have to cook and clean up. We don't do it all the time but it
is a nice change. It always amazes me to a family come in, get their
table and watch the adults get mountains of potatoes, bacon and
sausage, pancakes etc. While the kids will go straight to the desert
bar and get cotton candy and other junk. Sometimes the kids actually
eat real food with the candy.

Old 27-09-2013, 07:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 23:53:12 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 13:27:31 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Karen" wrote in message
On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 01:16:23 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"I Don't Know" wrote in message
news On Wed, 25 Sep 2013 22:24:26 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Those juice boxes can be darned hard to get into. Angela couldn't
do
them
until she was old enough to not want them any more and I always
struggle
with them.

So much of the packaging these days is very hard to open even for
adults.
It's very frustrating, and I wonder why people put up with it. :-)

Cheri

How hard is it to poke a straw through a thin piece of foil in the top
of the box?

Very. First you have to get the straw unwrapped. And many were the
times
that I couldn't do that without involving scissors. Then you have to
hope
you get a good straw. Can't tell you how many defective ones I had that
broke or bent while trying to insert. Then you have to hope that you
don't
accidentally squeeze the box while inserting or you'll have a mess! The
worst are the Capri Sun.

I have to agree. The Capri Suns had very tiny thin straws that would
bend easily, and yes, if you squeezed the box you ended up getting
sprayed with the juice drink. Capri Sun is actually not juice. It is
a juice drink with the first ingredient being water and the second
ingredient high fructose corn syrup.

I think some of the Capri Sun is 100% juice but I could be wrong. Not
something I ever bought.

You were the one who said the Capri Sun was the worst. I assumed you
were speaking from experience. How else would you have formed that
opinion? I agreed with you on the issue about the straws.

Because I am around children. Currently at the dance studio and in the
past, I volunteered at Angela's school. I have had to help kids with their
food and drinks whether I wanted to or not. I would always cringe when they
needed help with the drink.

Ok. I stand corrected.