Old 20-09-2013, 11:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Neew Jam for Me

"Trawley Trash" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Sep 2013 13:28:50 -0700
"Julie Bove" wrote:

It's not sweetened with sugar but juice. And even if it were
sweetened with sugar, I eat so little of it, it wouldn't matter to
me.

Julie, Julie, Julie. Whether you buy my theory about fructose
or not; if you want to avoid sugar, you must stay away from
juice. Typical juice sweeteners are apple juice and grape
juice. Both are high sugar and fructose. That is why they
are so sweet.

I don't want to avoid sugar per se. However, I prefer the taste of a fruit
product that is not sweetened with HFCS or the white granular stuff. Those
just taste too sweet to me.

Personally I've taken to avoiding anything that is sweet. That
includes artificial sweeteners of any kind. Have never tried
stevia. I do use a little dextrose, supposed to be pure glucose.

Okay...

BTW there is candy sweetened with dextrose. It is called pixie
sticks. If you can't stand the taste of diabetic wafers, you
could try that the next time you have a hypo.

I can't stand those either! Blech.

Old 21-09-2013, 01:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013 15:26:49 -0700
"Julie Bove" wrote:

It's not sweetened with sugar but juice. And even if it were
sweetened with sugar, I eat so little of it, it wouldn't matter to
me.

Julie, Julie, Julie. Whether you buy my theory about fructose
or not; if you want to avoid sugar, you must stay away from
juice. Typical juice sweeteners are apple juice and grape
juice. Both are high sugar and fructose. That is why they
are so sweet.

I don't want to avoid sugar per se. However, I prefer the taste of a
fruit product that is not sweetened with HFCS or the white granular
stuff. Those just taste too sweet to me.

Can you name a juice product that does not taste too sweet? I
can't find any.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 21-09-2013, 07:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

It's not sweetened with sugar but juice. And even if it were
sweetened with sugar, I eat so little of it, it wouldn't matter to
me.

Julie, Julie, Julie. Whether you buy my theory about fructose
or not; if you want to avoid sugar, you must stay away from
juice. Typical juice sweeteners are apple juice and grape
juice. Both are high sugar and fructose. That is why they
are so sweet.

I don't want to avoid sugar per se. However, I prefer the taste of a
fruit product that is not sweetened with HFCS or the white granular
stuff. Those just taste too sweet to me.

Can you name a juice product that does not taste too sweet? I
can't find any.

Sure. Cranberry and gaprefruit.

Old 22-09-2013, 12:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:42:13 -0700
"Julie Bove" wrote:

Can you name a juice product that does not taste too sweet? I
can't find any.

Sure. Cranberry and gaprefruit.

Both are OK, but hard to endure without some sweetener.
Now that I think of it I have an alternative sports drink
recipe that uses fresh cranberries instead of lime juice.
I use dextrose for sweetener, but I think I am having problems
from the 1-1/2 tablespoons. I buy it from a health food store,
and the purity is questionable. I think I will order some
reagent grade glucose from chemical supply company. Then I
can tell for sure whether the problem is fructose contamination
or just too much glucose.

I don't like grapefruit though. Too bitter. I will eat
it if that is all I have.

I have never seen any packaged products that did not have
sweetener usually HFCS, but sometimes grape or apple juice.
Do you use artificially sweetened products? Which ones?

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 22-09-2013, 01:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:
: Sure. Cranberry and gaprefruit.

: Both are OK, but hard to endure without some sweetener.
: Now that I think of it I have an alternative sports drink
: recipe that uses fresh cranberries instead of lime juice.
: I use dextrose for sweetener, but I think I am having problems
: from the 1-1/2 tablespoons. I buy it from a health food store,
: and the purity is questionable. I think I will order some
: reagent grade glucose from chemical supply company. Then I
: can tell for sure whether the problem is fructose contamination
: or just too much glucose.

: I don't like grapefruit though. Too bitter. I will eat
: it if that is all I have.

: I have never seen any packaged products that did not have
: sweetener usually HFCS, but sometimes grape or apple juice.
: Do you use artificially sweetened products? Which ones?

:

: --
: I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

I love the flavor of unsweetened grapefruit adn grapefruit juice. that is
how my Mother alwasy served it and I learned to love it. we have a cute
tiny video of my then 1 1/2 year old granddaughter(now just past 2) being
given part of a half grpaefruit to see if whe would like it. They
expected her to reject it, but instead , she stucck her whole head inside
the have grapefruit to guzzle it all down! I guess the taste for it runs
in the family.

Wendy

Old 22-09-2013, 07:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

[...]

I don't drink regular juice unless I have to. I don't like it. I do drink
the juice from a grapefruit if I am eating one, which is rarely. I do like
them. I just don't eat much fruit ever. I drink the diet cranberry. I'm
sure it has a sweetener but not sure what. I also drink tons of Diet Coke
with Lime.

Old 22-09-2013, 01:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 00:22:41 +0000 (UTC)
"W. Baker" wrote:

I love the flavor of unsweetened grapefruit adn grapefruit juice.
that is how my Mother alwasy served it and I learned to love it. we
have a cute tiny video of my then 1 1/2 year old granddaughter(now
just past 2) being given part of a half grpaefruit to see if whe
would like it. They expected her to reject it, but instead , she
stucck her whole head inside the have grapefruit to guzzle it all
down! I guess the taste for it runs in the family.

It is possible I would like unsweetened grapefruit, but they
are so large I would never buy one for myself. We had lots
of grapefruit when I was young, but my family would not let
me eat anything that wasn't smothered in sugar or syrup.
Except for meat and potatoes.

My biological father wrote a letter suggesting that I would
like string beans. I remember my mother complaining bitterly
that Germans always lied.

"No matter how much sugar I put on them, you
*never* eat string beans."

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 22-09-2013, 01:41 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 23:59:16 -0700
"Julie Bove" wrote:

I have never seen any packaged products that did not have
sweetener usually HFCS, but sometimes grape or apple juice.
Do you use artificially sweetened products? Which ones?

I don't drink regular juice unless I have to. I don't like it. I do
drink the juice from a grapefruit if I am eating one, which is
rarely. I do like them. I just don't eat much fruit ever. I drink
the diet cranberry. I'm sure it has a sweetener but not sure what.
I also drink tons of Diet Coke with Lime.

Regular juice products are poison for me. I like the taste of
fruit, but it seems to cause BG problems that last for weeks.
It's an Igg allergy. I think I have decoded the technical
stuff on the immune system to see how this could happen.
These are acquired allergies that fade if I don't eat fruit
for a while, but they come back if I eat some particular
fruit regularly for a few weeks. I've ordered another ELISA
test to see how my allergies have changed in the last two
years.

Now that I have bread that I can eat, I can also use the orange
marmalade that I made a few months ago. No sugar, just oranges
run through the blender and pressure cooked for half an hour.
The next time you have trouble with bread, you might want to
try the San Luis sourdough. It's baked in Seattle, and it is
the only bread I can eat. I am sure it must be distributed
out where you are. Maybe not in all markets though.

Diet drinks don't affect BG too much, but I think they may
affect my appetite. I can drink one once in a while, but
I have been learning to order bottled water instead of
soft drinks, beer or wine. I feel much better that way.
On the one hand it seems like a waste of money, but on
the other hand it is better than drinking something that
affects me negatively.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 22-09-2013, 03:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 21 Sep 2013 16:46:37 -0700, Trawley Trash
wrote:

I don't like grapefruit though. Too bitter. I will eat
it if that is all I have.

Have you ever tried sprinkling just a small amount of sweetNlow on the
grapefruit? If eating a halved piece less than 1 packet per half.

I find it just the right amount of sweetness and no bitter taste or
after taste. Just make sure it is dissolved on top of the fruit, no
dry clumps.

Old 22-09-2013, 03:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 05:14:51 -0700, Trawley Trash
wrote:

"No matter how much sugar I put on them, you
*never* eat string beans."

Blasphemy!!

String beans and Fatback. The only way to eat them.