Old 17-09-2013, 01:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Need recommendations for T2 Emergency Pantry

On 9/12/2013 10:30 AM, Cheri wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
On 09/11/2013 10:34 PM, Cheri wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
On 09/11/2013 06:06 PM, Cheri wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
On 09/11/2013 03:55 PM, Cheri wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
Hi All,

For the last 10 days we have been locked inside out house
with "extremely hazardous" air from the Rim Fire near Yosemite.
Fortunately, I finally got my wish and the wind reversed and
all the smoke is blowing down into Los Angeles, WHERE THEY
CAN'T TELL THE DIFFERENCE!

I'm not really sure you can find a place in CA where the air isn't
terrible right now. I'm in the SJ Valley and the air quality is
mostly
keeping me inside the past couple of days too. I have breathing
problems
due to COPD and it's not fun. I have many canned goods in the
garage. I
always have tuna, canned salmon, canned chicken, green beans, and
things
like that to tide us over for several days if need be.

Cheri

Hi Cheri,

This air cleaner (two of them) saved our butts:
http://austinair.com/products/healthmate-series-2/

But they are expensive.

Tuna makes me hurl (literally). Neither one of us can
stand canned salmon. Hmmmm. Canned green beans
and canned chicken.

Thank you!

-T

I'm a SPAM lover too. :-)

Cheri

http://www.spam.com/varieties/spam-classic
Ingredients

Pork with Ham, Salt, Water, Modified Potato Starch,
Sugar, Sodium Nitrite.

Nutrition Facts

Serving Size: 2 oz (56g)

Servings: 6
Amount Per Serving Calories 180 % Daily Value
Total Fat 16g 25%
Saturated Fat 6g 30%
Cholesterol 40mg 15%
Sodium 790mg 33%
Total Carbohydrates 1g 6%
Dietary Fiber 0g Sugars 0g Protein 7g
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
This product is GLUTEN FREE.

What? You think I don't know all of that? I love hot dogs too.

Cheri

:-)

Hot dogs are food?

Love the Evergood brand, just cold. :-)

Gross.

Old 21-09-2013, 11:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/20/2013 1:28 PM, Todd wrote:
On 09/17/2013 05:29 AM, wrote:

:-)

Hot dogs are food?

Love the Evergood brand, just cold. :-)

Gross.

I use to eat them cold as a kid. They were high
cuisine. Now, I would have to agree with you.
There are worse things, like turnips and kale.

Turnips are okay in soup
Old 22-09-2013, 01:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Don Roberto wrote:
: On 9/20/2013 1:40 PM, Todd wrote:
: That being said, I server in Germany during the Cold War.
: The Germans had road side stands with Brats and sour kraut.
: I "lived" for them. They were culinary and grease heaven.
:

: Actually, in Germany sauerkraut (note proper spelling :-) is just one of
: the options - my favorite Kraut dog (where Kraut does *not* stand for
: sauerkraut :-) is Currywurst.

Kraut is simply the word for cabbage so sauer kraut is sourcabbage. If you
add some wurst to it that's fine but is something else.

Wendy
Old 22-09-2013, 03:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 00:25:49 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
wrote:

Don Roberto wrote:
: On 9/20/2013 1:40 PM, Todd wrote:
: That being said, I server in Germany during the Cold War.
: The Germans had road side stands with Brats and sour kraut.
: I "lived" for them. They were culinary and grease heaven.
:

: Actually, in Germany sauerkraut (note proper spelling :-) is just one of
: the options - my favorite Kraut dog (where Kraut does *not* stand for
: sauerkraut :-) is Currywurst.

Kraut is simply the word for cabbage so sauer kraut is sourcabbage. If you
add some wurst to it that's fine but is something else.

Wendy

Kraut is also slang for German. So a non-saurkraut kraut dog called
currywurst would be a German dog made from bratwurst and I would guess
(just a guess mind you), curry. As curry has become quite popular
world wide over the last few decades.

Not limited to thinking inside block.

Old 22-09-2013, 08:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 09:39:10 -0500
Who Are You wrote:

Kraut is also slang for German. So a non-saurkraut kraut dog called
currywurst would be a German dog made from bratwurst and I would guess
(just a guess mind you), curry. As curry has become quite popular
world wide over the last few decades.

Currywurst is a standard fast-food item in Berlin. It looks to
be sliced wurst with some kind of sauce over it. Most likely
curry sauce. I haven't tried it. Sauces are risky for
me.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 24-09-2013, 12:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/21/2013 5:25 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Don Roberto wrote:
: On 9/20/2013 1:40 PM, Todd wrote:
: That being said, I server in Germany during the Cold War.
: The Germans had road side stands with Brats and sour kraut.
: I "lived" for them. They were culinary and grease heaven.
:

: Actually, in Germany sauerkraut (note proper spelling :-) is just one of
: the options - my favorite Kraut dog (where Kraut does *not* stand for
: sauerkraut :-) is Currywurst.

Kraut is simply the word for cabbage so sauer kraut is sourcabbage.

I wasn't writing about what it is, but how it's spelled.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/sauerkraut?s=t

Besides "Kraut" isn't just "simply the word for cabbage"
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/kraut?s=t
see definition #2.

If you
add some wurst to it that's fine but is something else.

Yep. And THAT something else was what Todd and I were talking about.
BTW - we weren't talking about dishes where you add wurst to sauerkraut,
but dishes where you add sauerkraut and/or other goodies to wurst.
Bratwurst, to be more precise. Bread also comes into play.
You know, like in ye olde American hot dog.

Old 24-09-2013, 12:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

Don Roberto wrote:
: On 9/20/2013 1:40 PM, Todd wrote:
: That being said, I server in Germany during the Cold War.
: The Germans had road side stands with Brats and sour kraut.
: I "lived" for them. They were culinary and grease heaven.
:

: Actually, in Germany sauerkraut (note proper spelling :-) is just one of
: the options - my favorite Kraut dog (where Kraut does *not* stand for
: sauerkraut :-) is Currywurst.

Kraut is simply the word for cabbage so sauer kraut is sourcabbage. If you
add some wurst to it that's fine but is something else.

Wendy

Kraut is also slang for German. So a non-saurkraut kraut dog called
currywurst would be a German dog made from bratwurst and I would guess
(just a guess mind you), curry.

Actually, it's Bratwurst served with a curry-ketchup sauce.
Here are a couple of recipes:
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/german-currywurst/
http://www.finedininglovers.com/reci...-sauce-recipe/

Old 24-09-2013, 12:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Who Are You wrote:

Kraut is also slang for German. So a non-saurkraut kraut dog called
currywurst would be a German dog made from bratwurst and I would guess
(just a guess mind you), curry. As curry has become quite popular
world wide over the last few decades.

Currywurst is a standard fast-food item in Berlin. It looks to
be sliced wurst with some kind of sauce over it. Most likely
curry sauce. I haven't tried it. Sauces are risky for
me.

In this case the other main ingredient is ketchup.
Old 24-09-2013, 12:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 9/22/2013 10:02 PM, Todd wrote:
On 09/21/2013 03:23 PM, Don Roberto wrote:
I server in Germany during the Cold War.
The Germans had road side stands with Brats and sour kraut.
I "lived" for them. They were culinary and grease heaven.

Actually, in Germany sauerkraut (note proper spelling :-) is just one of
the options - my favorite Kraut dog (where Kraut does *not* stand for
sauerkraut :-) is Currywurst.

They called it sauerkraut. Seemed like the same stuff I ate in
America, except it tasted better.

Curry???? Hmmmm.

Try it - you'll like it.
Google for recipes.

They must
have expanded their offerings over the years.

Currywurst originated in Berlin after WW2
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herta_Heuwer
It's now popular all over Germany
Old 24-09-2013, 10:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 04:42:44 -0700
wrote:

Actually, it's Bratwurst served with a curry-ketchup sauce.

Ketchup is a high-sugar disaster for me.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 26-09-2013, 10:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.dabetes

On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 23:06:13 -0500
Who Are You wrote:

I wasn't talking about German, but American English. "Wurst" is a
loan word that has taken the meaning German sausage. And "Kraut"
is not used much today, but it was distinctly derogatory fifty
years ago. "Kraut dog" is the rough equivalent of "n****r
melon".

Now you are making shit up.

In America kraut dog is a hot dog with sauerkraut. I can find no
reference to it's use as you claim.

sauerkraut is simply pickled cabbage and came from China. It arrived
in Europe around 700 AD. It arrived in the USA in the mid 1800's.
During WW1 it was renamed "Liberty Cabbage" by many of the companies
that sold it out of fear it would lose sales because of the war.

There are plenty of references where "kraut" is used as derogatory
slang, but I can't find anything using "kraut dog".

The OP used it in just that sense, and others here interpreted it to
mean a hot dog with sauerkraut. That is what started this subthread.
"Kraut" has two meanings. Sauerkraut, and a derived meaning of
someone who eats it: a German. "Kraut dog" thus also has two meanings.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.
Old 27-09-2013, 10:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.dabetes

On Fri, 27 Sep 2013 03:02:17 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
wrote:

Trawley Trash wrote:
: On Tue, 24 Sep 2013 16:03:53 -0700
: wrote:

: Ordering simply "wurst" in Germany is like ordering "meat" in an
: American restaurant. Or "coffee" at Starbucks.
: You gotta know EXACTLY what you want lest you want to be identified
: as a hick.
:
: I wasn't talking about German, but American English.
:
: An we (Todd & I) were talking about Bratwurst and sauerkraut such as
: the "Brats" he enjoyed at the roadside stands *in* Germany.
: You are free though to talk about something else, although you really
: should start another thread to do so.

: The usage that prompted my reply was Wendy's "my favorite Kraut dog
: is currywurst." This is sliced wurst with curry sauce: not
: sauerkraut. It isn't a sandwich either.
: --
: I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Not my work. I never tried it. I only said that inGerman, kraut means
cabbage, so saurkraut is sour cabbage. since i was speaking of ght
Germanlanguage then everybody chimed inwith Americna slang of kraut for
German person, a term used with much derogatory meaning during WWII.
Ihave never been to German andnever intend to g, but Idid study the
language for a year in college a long time ago.

Wendy

Sauerkraut is pickled cabbage.

Pickling does not make everything sour.

Old 27-09-2013, 11:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic,alt.support.dabetes

: wrote:

[...]

I may have mis-attributed the quote, but the wording was clearly
not consistent with "Kraut dog" meaning a hot dog with sauerkraut.
We are using two different definitions for "kraut" in this thread.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.