Old 06-09-2013, 04:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Is everyone on vacation?

"Trawley Trash" wrote in message
On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:33:06 -0700
"Julie Bove" wrote:

For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
(ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.

But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.

It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
so sure that it only relates to me?

It relates to diabetes for most type 2's.

Cheri

Old 07-09-2013, 03:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 04:11:00 -0700, Trawley Trash
wrote:

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:33:06 -0700
"Julie Bove" wrote:

For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
(ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.

But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.

It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
so sure that it only relates to me?

Cancer goes into remission, diabetes does not.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
(ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.

But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.

It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
so sure that it only relates to me?

Well... Because you are the only one ever that I have heard mention such a
thing. So... You're telling me that you could eat unlimited amounts of
sucrose or glucose and have no high BG?

Old 07-09-2013, 06:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote:

For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
(ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.

But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.

It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
so sure that it only relates to me?

It relates to diabetes for most type 2's.

Well it's news to me! Most diabetics have to watch all carbs.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bjørn Steensrud" wrote in message
Trawley Trash wrote:

On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 13:19:07 -0400
Susan wrote:

We took a drive out east yesterday and I bought 2 local grass fed T
bones, and two fabulous new cheeses from a wonderful purveyor, my new
favorite is called Zimbro:
http://www.specialtyfood.com/news-tr...a-lusa-zimbro/

Perfectly ripened and tastes offered from a room temp wheel.

Any young cheese drives my BG through the roof for days. The cheese
has to have *zero* lactose for me to eat it without problems. That
means at least several months of age.

Working as a foot soldier in the campaign for the Storting[0] election
coming up this weekend.

However: After "Shock-headed Peter" in the afternoon DW and I went to a
small restaurant for a snack and a glass of wine. The snack was baked Brie
with glazed walnuts - served with drops of balsamico vinegar on the plate.
Yum - and I took a chance that the honey glazing was not enough to matter.

[0] parliament, congress, rijksdag ...

I tried a glazed walnut once. Had to spit it out. Appaerntly, sweetened
nuts are not for me. I did like Beer Nuts as a kid but haven't tried them
recently.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Susan wrote:

[...]

So what is your a1c? How much insulin do you take?

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 22:29:01 -0700
"Julie Bove" wrote:

It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
so sure that it only relates to me?

Well... Because you are the only one ever that I have heard mention
such a thing. So... You're telling me that you could eat unlimited
amounts of sucrose or glucose and have no high BG?

The problem here is that you need to understand a little chemistry.
Sucrose is a disaccharide composed
of two simple sugars: glucose and fructose. When you eat sucrose,
you are eating glucose and fructose. Similarly lactose is composed
of glucose and galactose. Glucose is absorbed into the blood and
metabolized by every cell in your body. Fructose and galactose
are metabolized by the liver, and our tolerance for these depends
on how much of certain enzymes we have. This tolerance is highly
individual.

I don't claim to eat *unlimited* glucose or anything else. There
is such a thing as too much. But even small amounts
of fructose or galactose give me trouble.

Normally tolerance for fructose declines as we age. Adults
cannot tolerate sugar the way children do. But over the last
century we have gradually increased the amount of fructose
in our diet to the point that even children can become type II.

That is my working theory at the moment.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 07-09-2013, 12:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 21:58:12 -0500
DonOpple0paad wrote:

It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
so sure that it only relates to me?

Cancer goes into remission, diabetes does not.

That is what my doctor told me. When my a1c dropped from
11.1 to 5.4 he made a career decision. He now works in
emergency treating trauma. The doctor who replaced him
won't even talk about diabetes.

This morning my FBG is 94. I don't take any drugs or
count calores or carbs. I found those no fructose
casaba melons that I was asking about a year ago
in a local market. Had a nice big slice just before
bed. It was delicious. If it had been honeydew or
cantaloupe, my FBG would be in the diabetic range right
now.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 07-09-2013, 06:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "Trawley Trash" wrote in message
: ...
: On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:33:06 -0700
: "Julie Bove" wrote:
:
: For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
: syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
: is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
: horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
: to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
: (ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.
:
:
:
: But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.
:
: It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
: so sure that it only relates to me?

: Well... Because you are the only one ever that I have heard mention such a
: thing. So... You're telling me that you could eat unlimited amounts of
: sucrose or glucose and have no high BG?

What about Ozgirl? she seems to be now.

Wendy
Old 07-09-2013, 08:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: "Julie Bove" wrote:
:
[...]

She can eat more carbs now but I don't know that she can eat specifically
more of those.

Old 08-09-2013, 04:05 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 17:14:49 -0700
Todd wrote:

On 09/07/2013 04:27 PM, Todd wrote:
On 09/07/2013 04:19 AM, Trawley Trash wrote:
This morning my FBG is 94. I don't take any drugs or
count calores or carbs. I found those no fructose
casaba melons

Cool. I wonder the effect on regular t2'?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/1955/2

1 cup cubes, 11 grams

11 grams of *sugar*. According to Loren Cordain's site
none of that sugar is fructose. The grower describes
the melon as having a "subtle sweetness". That is what
glucose tastes like. All the sweeter melons have fructose.

Also be aware that there are other varieties called casaba.
I found this out when I tried to find some seeds. Lots
of casaba melon seeds out there, but they were not the
same variety.

The melons I found are grown commercially in Turlock California.
Had many arguments with my parents when I was young. They could not
understand why I would not eat cantaloupe and honeydew. They
made me feel ill.

Okay, perhaps with a couple fried eggs and a slice or
two or three or four or five of bacon.

-- I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 08-09-2013, 12:01 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 20:47:00 -0700
Todd wrote:

On 09/07/2013 08:05 PM, Trawley Trash wrote:
The melons I found are grown commercially in Turlock California.
Had many arguments with my parents when I was young. They could
not understand why I would not eat cantaloupe and honeydew. They
made me feel ill.

Thank you!

You wouldn't happebd to have the botanical name for them?

Unfortunately taxonomy is not up to the task here. Wikipedia
says they are Cucumis melo Inodorus. Honeydew and crenshaw
are also the same species, but they have too much fructose.
This is a general problem when dealing with food crops. One
species name applies to a number of different varieties and
seemingly different fruits or vegetables. Within the species
these different products are hybridized to produce new crops.
Most commonly newer *sweeter* crops with more fructose.

The melons are grown commercially in southern California. They
are common in supermarkets there, and the melons are exported
all over the southwest. Loren Cordain is from Utah, so that
is probably the variety he tested. I had not seen them in
Washington state until last week, and there were only a few
of them mixed in with other varieties.

The melons are wrinkled yellow skin with traces of green. Inside
the flesh is white with some pale green near the rind.

Scientific nomenclature is not adequate to deal with domesticated
crops or animals. Almost every kind of bean you can think of is
phaseolus vulagris. Broccoli is actually a cabbage. Fructose
content also varies with growing conditions.

Even if I am right, just switching to these melons will not do much
for your diabetes. You have to eliminate all sources of fructose
and galactose.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 09-09-2013, 12:22 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 11:09:42 +1000
"Ozgirl" wrote:

Thanks Wendy. Bit perplexed about "Not always a good thing" and "It
doesn't make it healthy normal" comments though. They don't seem
applicable to the conversation. As a clarifier (I can see Trawley's
post) I do indeed eat fructose every day. Some days, especially in
summer I might eat about 6 pieces of fruit because I love summer
fruit At the moment I am enjoying strawberries, generally have
them with some coconut yoghurt as a snack.

To clarify my position a bit, I don't claim that fructose causes
*everyone* problems. Only that it causes a significant percentage
problems. Both fructose and galactose can cause problems. Humans
lived in an environment where these sugars were not common for
a million years or more. So there was no natural selection pressure
to have adequate amounts of liver enzymes to metabolize them.
Now we are adding increasing amounts of dairy products and
sugar to our diet, and many people are unable to tolerate the
amounts we consume today. Some are intolerant of galactose,
and some are intolerant of fructose. I am lucky enough to be
intolerant of both.

This is in addition to the digestive issues that nutritionists
know about: fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance.

I notice that you use coconut yogurt. Are you avoiding dairy?

There is considerable overlap between low carb and what I am
suggesting. Wheat and barley contain fructans and beans contain galactose.
Those who go low carb cutting out sugar, pasta, bread, and beans
are following my suggestions whether they realize it or not.
Potatoes are the closest to pure starch, and I eat a fair amount of them.
Plain white rice should work in theory, but I began having
trouble with it about the same time they changed the enrichment
process so that the enrichment would not wash off.

Cooked and fermented foods have reduced amounts of these sugars.
When I was young it seemed like everyone in their sixties insisted
on *cooking* their fruit. Fructose is not as stable as glucose,
and it begins to decompose even below boiling. This is why
baked apples are not as sweet as fresh. But these days everything
is processed, and when they cook fruit for processing they always
add extra sugar to make it sweet again. Not as many people
cook for themselves today as in those days. Many lack access to
adequate kitchens.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Old 09-09-2013, 11:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote:

[...]

I discovered coconut yoghurt by chance and tried it. I love it Too
much milk does cause me gut problems but I don't avoid dairy altogether.
So a taste preference really.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

Jazzy is entitled to stay at school until her 18th birthday year (next
year). Her school will apply to the dept of ed for extensions of 2 years
if needed for whatever reason. Typically it is for kids who won't suit
workshop post-school. I am going to apply for the extension as she is
quite the handful at home and if she doesn't suit workshop then she will
be home all day every day. She makes lots of food and toilet-type messes
but yesterday was pretty harrowing. She refused to get on the bus to come
home, had to go and pick her up. After lots of coercion got her into my
car. Took me ten minutes to get her out of my car at home, then she got
away from me as we got onto the road. There were no cars coming coming but
I asked her to stop, she stopped dead and dropped to the ground as I was
hurrying to catch her. As a result I went straight over the top of her and
face-planted on the road I had a dentist appt and left her with the
boys (bad mistake). I had my dry oats on the bench ready to eat when I got
home. She took them in her room, chewed them all up and spat them
everywhere so second time in one day had to change and wash the bedding,
sweep and wash the floor. I will continue to get carer's Pension whilst
ever she lives with me (it's the same amount as old age pension but more
than unemployment benefits). She gets a part disability pension, it goes
up $50 more per fortnight on her 18th birthday and then she gets full
pension at age 21. I am going to apply for extension of child support
until she turns 21 as well. This morning she has been a lamb, co-operated
all the way from bed to toilet to bath and breakfast was fairly neat and
tidy, lol. Got her dressed and she did her ablutions (ritualistic), let me
actually do her hair so she didn't look like something the cat dragged in
Then sat and waited for the bus. As time goes by I may have to live
with one of my daughters but at present I am handling it. lol, my son's
girlfriend bought one of her school-mates to meet me yesterday afternoon
and her first impression was me face-planting on the road

Wow, what a mess! And here I was feeling sorry for myself because we had no
Internet. It is such a part of our lives, we can't seem to live without it.
The school went bookless and all of the work is online. They do make
exceptions for those who truly can't get the Internet. They are allowed to
take books. But that doesn't apply to us. So Angela had to get to school
even earlier to borrow a book to do her homework.

Just today, three different people told me to go online and ____. I had to
reply that I could not. Frontier had not come out to fix it so Angela and I
took to bed for a nap. I woke up and found it on. Yay! Then I tried to
get her up to eat dinner so she can go to dance. She was exhausted. But
once I mentioned that we had Internet, she was right up!

We weren't totally without because we do have Smartphones but she couldn't
do the homework because it needs the Adobe whatever it is and that's not
supported on the phone.

Is everyone on vacation? TheRealDeal Diabetic 0 02-09-2013 09:12 PM
Vacation Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 7 09-09-2011 05:25 AM
I'm on Vacation!! Christine Dabney General Cooking 25 15-10-2007 02:27 PM
vacation sd danw4 Sourdough 4 18-09-2005 01:48 PM
Vacation THEMOM1 Baking 3 26-01-2004 04:24 PM