Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Is everyone on vacation?

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> We've all been very quiet lately. Is everyone on
> vacation?
>
> I finally perfected my Coconut Pancakes and wanted
> to post it, but if no one is there to read it, I will wait.
>
> -T

I'm here, just not much to post, but would like to see your recipe.

Cheri

Experienced Member

Sure, Although coconut is very much healthy. It has benefits like Improves Digestion, Improves Heart Health and also hair strong, Prevent Obesity, and boost up energy etc.,

I have one simple sweet recipe using coconut milling dish names as "Cocunut Barfi". Ingredients are simple: Sugar 50grms, Cardamom-3, One whole cocounut milling and 2 tsps ghee. Thats it.

Method: Heat ghee, add cardamom powder, pour 2 glass of water let to boil, add sugar into it make it boil for 2 minutes then add coconut miller stir well until it get sticky swith off flame and let it cool place or keep it freezer so that consistency get solid after one hour you could cut them into pieces then have it tastes sooo great and sweet with cardamom aroma smell. And quite healthy as above said. Of course childrens are very much fond of it.

Note for diabetics, instead of sugar, You can use sugar free like honey. If you prefer the taste of honey, go ahead and use it — but only in moderation. Be sure to count the carbohydrates in honey as part of your diabetes eating plan.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 13:19:07 -0400
Susan > wrote:

> We took a drive out east yesterday and I bought 2 local grass fed T
> bones, and two fabulous new cheeses from a wonderful purveyor, my new
> favorite is called Zimbro:
> http://www.specialtyfood.com/news-tr...a-lusa-zimbro/
>
> Perfectly ripened and tastes offered from a room temp wheel.

Any young cheese drives my BG through the roof for days. The cheese
has to have *zero* lactose for me to eat it without problems. That
means at least several months of age.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message

> Here, I brown the hamburger with onions and garlic, remove from the pan,
> get rid of a lot of the grease left in the pan, make a milk/cream gravy,
> return the meat and that's it. In the old days, I would add peas and corn
> and serve on mashed potatoes or bread. Yesterday I had it over scrambled
> eggs and it was good. LOL, I hear you about the pie...same thing here with
> the quiche too.
>
> Cheri

Yes, this is really good, comfort food as it should be, add peas or chilis
or not; some cheese maybe, whatever is there and right, then I would
use it as a testing ground for the latest hot sauces I've picked up and
not tried yet; a vast variety of bread/rolls. Nice, this is labor day stuff
I really appreciate. Thanks.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"clinicaltrials" > wrote in
message . ..

> Sure, Although coconut is very much healthy. It has benefits like
> Improves Digestion, Improves Heart Health and also hair strong, Prevent
> Obesity, and boost up energy etc.,
>
> I have one simple sweet recipe using coconut milling dish names as
> "Cocunut Barfi". Ingredients are simple: Sugar 50grms, Cardamom-3, One
> whole cocounut milling and 2 tsps ghee. Thats it.
>
> Method: Heat ghee, add cardamom powder, pour 2 glass of water let to
> boil, add sugar into it make it boil for 2 minutes then add coconut
> miller stir well until it get sticky swith off flame and let it cool
> place or keep it freezer so that consistency get solid after one hour
> you could cut them into pieces then have it tastes sooo great and sweet
> with cardamom aroma smell. And quite healthy as above said. Of course
> childrens are very much fond of it.
>
> Note for diabetics, instead of sugar, You can use sugar free like honey.
> If you prefer the taste of honey, go ahead and use it - but only in
> moderation. Be sure to count the carbohydrates in honey as part of your
> diabetes eating plan.

Uh... Honey is no better for diabetics than sugar!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> Here, I brown the hamburger with onions and garlic, remove from the pan,
> get rid of a lot of the grease left in the pan, make a milk/cream gravy,
> return the meat and that's it. In the old days, I would add peas and corn
> and serve on mashed potatoes or bread. Yesterday I had it over scrambled
> eggs and it was good. LOL, I hear you about the pie...same thing here with
> the quiche too.

My mom made it similar to yours but no onions or garlic. Served over mashed
potatoes or if we had none, in a bowl and called meat soup.

Since I can't have the milk or cream, I use beef broth instead and I add
both celery and onions. It isn't something that I make often since I seem
to be the only one in the house who really likes it. I have served it over
green beans.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:48:32 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > Note for diabetics, instead of sugar, You can use sugar free like
> > honey. If you prefer the taste of honey, go ahead and use it - but
> > only in moderation. Be sure to count the carbohydrates in honey as
> > part of your diabetes eating plan.

> Uh... Honey is no better for diabetics than sugar!

Good point. Lots of people try to fool themselves to think some
"natural" sugar is OK for them. It isn't.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> Here, I brown the hamburger with onions and garlic, remove from the pan,
>> get rid of a lot of the grease left in the pan, make a milk/cream gravy,
>> return the meat and that's it. In the old days, I would add peas and corn
>> and serve on mashed potatoes or bread. Yesterday I had it over scrambled
>> eggs and it was good. LOL, I hear you about the pie...same thing here
>> with the quiche too.

> My mom made it similar to yours but no onions or garlic. Served over
> mashed potatoes or if we had none, in a bowl and called meat soup.
>
> Since I can't have the milk or cream, I use beef broth instead and I add
> both celery and onions. It isn't something that I make often since I seem
> to be the only one in the house who really likes it. I have served it
> over green beans.

I haven't had it for a very long time, one of those things that I continue
to eat until it's gone. It's gone now. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message ...

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> Here, I brown the hamburger with onions and garlic, remove from the
>> pan, get rid of a lot of the grease left in the pan, make a
>> milk/cream gravy, return the meat and that's it. In the old days, I
>> would add peas and corn and serve on mashed potatoes or bread.
>> Yesterday I had it over scrambled eggs and it was good. LOL, I hear
>> you about the pie...same thing here with the quiche too.

> My mom made it similar to yours but no onions or garlic. Served over
> mashed potatoes or if we had none, in a bowl and called meat soup.
>
> Since I can't have the milk or cream, I use beef broth instead and I
> add both celery and onions. It isn't something that I make often
> since I seem to be the only one in the house who really likes it. I
> have served it over green beans.

I haven't had it for a very long time, one of those things that I
continue
to eat until it's gone. It's gone now. :-)

Cheri

------

Did you have it all over eggs or did you vary it? I like that kind of
food over broccoli. I cook the broccoli so it is still crisp then cut it
smaller. Cutting it first makes it harder to keep the crispness,
especially if you are like me and get easily distracted It is also
nice between two slices of low carb bread toasted in a sandwich maker
that seals the filling inside the bread. I only own a George Foreman and
a sandwich press these days so can't do that.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Cheri" wrote in message ...
>
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>>> Here, I brown the hamburger with onions and garlic, remove from the pan,
>>> get rid of a lot of the grease left in the pan, make a milk/cream gravy,
>>> return the meat and that's it. In the old days, I would add peas and
>>> corn and serve on mashed potatoes or bread. Yesterday I had it over
>>> scrambled eggs and it was good. LOL, I hear you about the pie...same
>>> thing here with the quiche too.

>> My mom made it similar to yours but no onions or garlic. Served over
>> mashed potatoes or if we had none, in a bowl and called meat soup.
>>
>> Since I can't have the milk or cream, I use beef broth instead and I add
>> both celery and onions. It isn't something that I make often since I
>> seem to be the only one in the house who really likes it. I have served
>> it over green beans.

> I haven't had it for a very long time, one of those things that I continue
> to eat until it's gone. It's gone now. :-)
>
> Cheri
>
> ------
>
> Did you have it all over eggs or did you vary it? I like that kind of food
> over broccoli. I cook the broccoli so it is still crisp then cut it
> smaller. Cutting it first makes it harder to keep the crispness,
> especially if you are like me and get easily distracted It is also nice
> between two slices of low carb bread toasted in a sandwich maker that
> seals the filling inside the bread. I only own a George Foreman and a
> sandwich press these days so can't do that.

I had it over scrambled eggs the first day, then just by itself the next few
times. ;-) DH had it with potatoes and then over large buttered hamburger
buns. I use a can of condensed milk, probably a quarter cup of cream, and
water. I do go ahead and use flour to thicken the gravy since I only make
this every couple of years for a special occasion like Labor Day Weekend
(that way I can do three days)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 2 Sep 2013 22:48:32 -0700
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > Note for diabetics, instead of sugar, You can use sugar free like
>> > honey. If you prefer the taste of honey, go ahead and use it - but
>> > only in moderation. Be sure to count the carbohydrates in honey as
>> > part of your diabetes eating plan.

>> Uh... Honey is no better for diabetics than sugar!

> Good point. Lots of people try to fool themselves to think some
> "natural" sugar is OK for them. It isn't.

I was just floored at what I read at a celiac forum. This person was upset
because a certain restaurant chain has a gluten free menu but has a
disclaimer on it that it might not be suitable for celiacs because they
can't guarantee that there is no cross contamination. The person went on to
ask if it used to be like this for diabetics who dined out. I think some of
the others were just as floored as me by this one. Seemed to me that the
person was one of those many who think something horrible will happen to use
if we get sugar in our food. I guess I shouldn't be floored. I myself was
one who used to think that. It's a very common myth and I don't know how it
got started.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 02:08:51 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Trawley Trash" > wrote in message

> >> Uh... Honey is no better for diabetics than sugar!

> > Good point. Lots of people try to fool themselves to think some
> > "natural" sugar is OK for them. It isn't.

> I was just floored at what I read at a celiac forum. This person was
> upset because a certain restaurant chain has a gluten free menu but
> has a disclaimer on it that it might not be suitable for celiacs
> because they can't guarantee that there is no cross contamination.
> The person went on to ask if it used to be like this for diabetics
> who dined out. I think some of the others were just as floored as me
> by this one. Seemed to me that the person was one of those many who
> think something horrible will happen to use if we get sugar in our
> food. I guess I shouldn't be floored. I myself was one who used to
> think that. It's a very common myth and I don't know how it got
> started.

For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
is about half a gram per day. More than this does something horrible
to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion to the
carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and (ga)lactose,
I do not need anything else to control BG.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Trawley Trash wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 13:19:07 -0400
> Susan > wrote:
>
>> We took a drive out east yesterday and I bought 2 local grass fed T
>> bones, and two fabulous new cheeses from a wonderful purveyor, my new
>> favorite is called Zimbro:
>> http://www.specialtyfood.com/news-tr...a-lusa-zimbro/
>>
>> Perfectly ripened and tastes offered from a room temp wheel.

> Any young cheese drives my BG through the roof for days. The cheese
> has to have *zero* lactose for me to eat it without problems. That
> means at least several months of age.

Working as a foot soldier in the campaign for the Storting[0] election
coming up this weekend.

However: After "Shock-headed Peter" in the afternoon DW and I went to a
small restaurant for a snack and a glass of wine. The snack was baked Brie
with glazed walnuts - served with drops of balsamico vinegar on the plate.
Yum - and I took a chance that the honey glazing was not enough to matter.

[0] parliament, congress, rijksdag ...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
news
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 02:08:51 -0700
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>

>> "Trawley Trash" > wrote in message

>> > Good point. Lots of people try to fool themselves to think some
>> > "natural" sugar is OK for them. It isn't.

>> I was just floored at what I read at a celiac forum. This person was
>> upset because a certain restaurant chain has a gluten free menu but
>> has a disclaimer on it that it might not be suitable for celiacs
>> because they can't guarantee that there is no cross contamination.
>> The person went on to ask if it used to be like this for diabetics
>> who dined out. I think some of the others were just as floored as me
>> by this one. Seemed to me that the person was one of those many who
>> think something horrible will happen to use if we get sugar in our
>> food. I guess I shouldn't be floored. I myself was one who used to
>> think that. It's a very common myth and I don't know how it got
>> started.

> For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
> syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
> is about half a gram per day. More than this does something horrible
> to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion to the
> carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and (ga)lactose,
> I do not need anything else to control BG.

But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:33:06 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
> > syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
> > is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
> > horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
> > to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
> > (ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.
> >

> But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.

It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
so sure that it only relates to me?

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:33:06 -0700
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
>> > syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
>> > is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
>> > horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
>> > to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
>> > (ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.
>> >

>> But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.

> It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
> so sure that it only relates to me?

It relates to diabetes for most type 2's.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 04:11:00 -0700, Trawley Trash
> wrote:

>On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:33:06 -0700
>"Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
>> > syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
>> > is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
>> > horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
>> > to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
>> > (ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.
>> >

>> But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.

> It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
> so sure that it only relates to me?

Cancer goes into remission, diabetes does not.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:33:06 -0700
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> > For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
>> > syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
>> > is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
>> > horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
>> > to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
>> > (ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.
>> >

>> But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.

> It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
> so sure that it only relates to me?

Well... Because you are the only one ever that I have heard mention such a
thing. So... You're telling me that you could eat unlimited amounts of
sucrose or glucose and have no high BG?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Trawley Trash" > wrote in message

>>> But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.

>> It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
>> so sure that it only relates to me?

> It relates to diabetes for most type 2's.

Well it's news to me! Most diabetics have to watch all carbs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bjørn Steensrud" > wrote in message
> Trawley Trash wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 13:19:07 -0400
>> Susan > wrote:
>>
>>> We took a drive out east yesterday and I bought 2 local grass fed T
>>> bones, and two fabulous new cheeses from a wonderful purveyor, my new
>>> favorite is called Zimbro:
>>> http://www.specialtyfood.com/news-tr...a-lusa-zimbro/
>>>
>>> Perfectly ripened and tastes offered from a room temp wheel.

>> Any young cheese drives my BG through the roof for days. The cheese
>> has to have *zero* lactose for me to eat it without problems. That
>> means at least several months of age.

> Working as a foot soldier in the campaign for the Storting[0] election
> coming up this weekend.
>
> However: After "Shock-headed Peter" in the afternoon DW and I went to a
> small restaurant for a snack and a glass of wine. The snack was baked Brie
> with glazed walnuts - served with drops of balsamico vinegar on the plate.
> Yum - and I took a chance that the honey glazing was not enough to matter.
>
> [0] parliament, congress, rijksdag ...

I tried a glazed walnut once. Had to spit it out. Appaerntly, sweetened
nuts are not for me. I did like Beer Nuts as a kid but haven't tried them
recently.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Thu, 05 Sep 2013 21:02:28 +0200
Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:

> Trawley Trash wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 02 Sep 2013 13:19:07 -0400
> > Susan > wrote:
> >
> >> We took a drive out east yesterday and I bought 2 local grass fed T
> >> bones, and two fabulous new cheeses from a wonderful purveyor, my
> >> new favorite is called Zimbro:
> >> http://www.specialtyfood.com/news-tr...a-lusa-zimbro/
> >>
> >> Perfectly ripened and tastes offered from a room temp wheel.

> > Any young cheese drives my BG through the roof for days. The
> > cheese has to have *zero* lactose for me to eat it without
> > problems. That means at least several months of age.

> Working as a foot soldier in the campaign for the Storting[0]
> election coming up this weekend.
>
> However: After "Shock-headed Peter" in the afternoon DW and I went to
> a small restaurant for a snack and a glass of wine. The snack was
> baked Brie with glazed walnuts - served with drops of balsamico
> vinegar on the plate. Yum - and I took a chance that the honey
> glazing was not enough to matter.
>
> [0] parliament, congress, rijksdag ...

So what is your a1c? How much insulin do you take?

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 6 Sep 2013 22:29:01 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> > It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
> > so sure that it only relates to me?

> Well... Because you are the only one ever that I have heard mention
> such a thing. So... You're telling me that you could eat unlimited
> amounts of sucrose or glucose and have no high BG?

The problem here is that you need to understand a little chemistry.
Sucrose is a disaccharide composed
of two simple sugars: glucose and fructose. When you eat sucrose,
you are eating glucose and fructose. Similarly lactose is composed
of glucose and galactose. Glucose is absorbed into the blood and
metabolized by every cell in your body. Fructose and galactose
are metabolized by the liver, and our tolerance for these depends
on how much of certain enzymes we have. This tolerance is highly
individual.

I don't claim to eat *unlimited* glucose or anything else. There
is such a thing as too much. But even small amounts
of fructose or galactose give me trouble.

Normally tolerance for fructose declines as we age. Adults
cannot tolerate sugar the way children do. But over the last
century we have gradually increased the amount of fructose
in our diet to the point that even children can become type II.

That is my working theory at the moment.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 21:58:12 -0500
DonOpple0paad > wrote:

> > It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
> > so sure that it only relates to me?

> Cancer goes into remission, diabetes does not.

That is what my doctor told me. When my a1c dropped from
11.1 to 5.4 he made a career decision. He now works in
emergency treating trauma. The doctor who replaced him
won't even talk about diabetes.

This morning my FBG is 94. I don't take any drugs or
count calores or carbs. I found those no fructose
casaba melons that I was asking about a year ago
in a local market. Had a nice big slice just before
bed. It was delicious. If it had been honeydew or
cantaloupe, my FBG would be in the diabetic range right
now.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:33:06 -0700
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
: >
: >> > For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
: >> > syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
: >> > is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
: >> > horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
: >> > to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
: >> > (ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.
: >> >
: >> >
: >> >
: >> But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.
: >
: > It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
: > so sure that it only relates to me?

: Well... Because you are the only one ever that I have heard mention such a
: thing. So... You're telling me that you could eat unlimited amounts of
: sucrose or glucose and have no high BG?

What about Ozgirl? she seems to be now.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > On Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:33:06 -0700
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote:
> : >
> : >> > For me it is true. Most sugar including table sugar, honey, maple
> : >> > syrup and so on is about half fructose. My tolerance for fructose
> : >> > is about half a gram per day. More than this does something
> : >> > horrible to my BG regulation. This effect is out of all proportion
> : >> > to the carb count. As long as I completely avoid fructose and
> : >> > (ga)lactose, I do not need anything else to control BG.
> : >> >
> : >> >
> : >> >
> : >> But that only relates to you. Not to diabetes.
> : >
> : > It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
> : > so sure that it only relates to me?
>
> : Well... Because you are the only one ever that I have heard mention
> such a
> : thing. So... You're telling me that you could eat unlimited amounts of
> : sucrose or glucose and have no high BG?
>
> What about Ozgirl? she seems to be now.

She can eat more carbs now but I don't know that she can eat specifically
more of those.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 17:14:49 -0700
Todd > wrote:

> On 09/07/2013 04:27 PM, Todd wrote:
> > On 09/07/2013 04:19 AM, Trawley Trash wrote:
> >> This morning my FBG is 94. I don't take any drugs or
> >> count calores or carbs. I found those no fructose
> >> casaba melons

> > Cool. I wonder the effect on regular t2'?
> >

> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...-juices/1955/2
>
> 1 cup cubes, 11 grams

11 grams of *sugar*. According to Loren Cordain's site
none of that sugar is fructose. The grower describes
the melon as having a "subtle sweetness". That is what
glucose tastes like. All the sweeter melons have fructose.

Also be aware that there are other varieties called casaba.
I found this out when I tried to find some seeds. Lots
of casaba melon seeds out there, but they were not the
same variety.

The melons I found are grown commercially in Turlock California.
Had many arguments with my parents when I was young. They could not
understand why I would not eat cantaloupe and honeydew. They
made me feel ill.

> Okay, perhaps with a couple fried eggs and a slice or
> two or three or four or five of bacon.

-- I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 20:47:00 -0700
Todd > wrote:

> On 09/07/2013 08:05 PM, Trawley Trash wrote:
> > The melons I found are grown commercially in Turlock California.
> > Had many arguments with my parents when I was young. They could
> > not understand why I would not eat cantaloupe and honeydew. They
> > made me feel ill.

> Thank you!
>
> You wouldn't happebd to have the botanical name for them?

Unfortunately taxonomy is not up to the task here. Wikipedia
says they are Cucumis melo Inodorus. Honeydew and crenshaw
are also the same species, but they have too much fructose.
This is a general problem when dealing with food crops. One
species name applies to a number of different varieties and
seemingly different fruits or vegetables. Within the species
these different products are hybridized to produce new crops.
Most commonly newer *sweeter* crops with more fructose.

The melons are grown commercially in southern California. They
are common in supermarkets there, and the melons are exported
all over the southwest. Loren Cordain is from Utah, so that
is probably the variety he tested. I had not seen them in
Washington state until last week, and there were only a few
of them mixed in with other varieties.

The melons are wrinkled yellow skin with traces of green. Inside
the flesh is white with some pale green near the rind.

Scientific nomenclature is not adequate to deal with domesticated
crops or animals. Almost every kind of bean you can think of is
phaseolus vulagris. Broccoli is actually a cabbage. Fructose
content also varies with growing conditions.

Even if I am right, just switching to these melons will not do much
for your diabetes. You have to eliminate all sources of fructose
and galactose.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 9 Sep 2013 11:09:42 +1000
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Thanks Wendy. Bit perplexed about "Not always a good thing" and "It
> doesn't make it healthy normal" comments though. They don't seem
> applicable to the conversation. As a clarifier (I can see Trawley's
> post) I do indeed eat fructose every day. Some days, especially in
> summer I might eat about 6 pieces of fruit because I love summer
> fruit At the moment I am enjoying strawberries, generally have
> them with some coconut yoghurt as a snack.

To clarify my position a bit, I don't claim that fructose causes
*everyone* problems. Only that it causes a significant percentage
problems. Both fructose and galactose can cause problems. Humans
lived in an environment where these sugars were not common for
a million years or more. So there was no natural selection pressure
to have adequate amounts of liver enzymes to metabolize them.
Now we are adding increasing amounts of dairy products and
sugar to our diet, and many people are unable to tolerate the
amounts we consume today. Some are intolerant of galactose,
and some are intolerant of fructose. I am lucky enough to be
intolerant of both.

This is in addition to the digestive issues that nutritionists
know about: fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance.

I notice that you use coconut yogurt. Are you avoiding dairy?

There is considerable overlap between low carb and what I am
suggesting. Wheat and barley contain fructans and beans contain galactose.
Those who go low carb cutting out sugar, pasta, bread, and beans
are following my suggestions whether they realize it or not.
Potatoes are the closest to pure starch, and I eat a fair amount of them.
Plain white rice should work in theory, but I began having
trouble with it about the same time they changed the enrichment
process so that the enrichment would not wash off.

Cooked and fermented foods have reduced amounts of these sugars.
When I was young it seemed like everyone in their sixties insisted
on *cooking* their fruit. Fructose is not as stable as glucose,
and it begins to decompose even below boiling. This is why
baked apples are not as sweet as fresh. But these days everything
is processed, and when they cook fruit for processing they always
add extra sugar to make it sweet again. Not as many people
cook for themselves today as in those days. Many lack access to
adequate kitchens.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> Thanks Wendy. Bit perplexed about "Not always a good thing" and "It
> doesn't make it healthy normal" comments though. They don't seem
> applicable to the conversation. As a clarifier (I can see Trawley's
> post) I do indeed eat fructose every day. Some days, especially in
> summer I might eat about 6 pieces of fruit because I love summer
> fruit At the moment I am enjoying strawberries, generally have
> them with some coconut yoghurt as a snack.

To clarify my position a bit, I don't claim that fructose causes
*everyone* problems. Only that it causes a significant percentage
problems. Both fructose and galactose can cause problems. Humans
lived in an environment where these sugars were not common for
a million years or more. So there was no natural selection pressure
to have adequate amounts of liver enzymes to metabolize them.
Now we are adding increasing amounts of dairy products and
sugar to our diet, and many people are unable to tolerate the
amounts we consume today. Some are intolerant of galactose,
and some are intolerant of fructose. I am lucky enough to be
intolerant of both.

This is in addition to the digestive issues that nutritionists
know about: fructose malabsorption and lactose intolerance.

I notice that you use coconut yogurt. Are you avoiding dairy?

I discovered coconut yoghurt by chance and tried it. I love it Too
much milk does cause me gut problems but I don't avoid dairy altogether.
So a taste preference really.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Jazzy is entitled to stay at school until her 18th birthday year (next
> year). Her school will apply to the dept of ed for extensions of 2 years
> if needed for whatever reason. Typically it is for kids who won't suit
> workshop post-school. I am going to apply for the extension as she is
> quite the handful at home and if she doesn't suit workshop then she will
> be home all day every day. She makes lots of food and toilet-type messes
> but yesterday was pretty harrowing. She refused to get on the bus to come
> home, had to go and pick her up. After lots of coercion got her into my
> car. Took me ten minutes to get her out of my car at home, then she got
> away from me as we got onto the road. There were no cars coming coming but
> I asked her to stop, she stopped dead and dropped to the ground as I was
> hurrying to catch her. As a result I went straight over the top of her and
> face-planted on the road I had a dentist appt and left her with the
> boys (bad mistake). I had my dry oats on the bench ready to eat when I got
> home. She took them in her room, chewed them all up and spat them
> everywhere so second time in one day had to change and wash the bedding,
> sweep and wash the floor. I will continue to get carer's Pension whilst
> ever she lives with me (it's the same amount as old age pension but more
> than unemployment benefits). She gets a part disability pension, it goes
> up $50 more per fortnight on her 18th birthday and then she gets full
> pension at age 21. I am going to apply for extension of child support
> until she turns 21 as well. This morning she has been a lamb, co-operated
> all the way from bed to toilet to bath and breakfast was fairly neat and
> tidy, lol. Got her dressed and she did her ablutions (ritualistic), let me
> actually do her hair so she didn't look like something the cat dragged in
> Then sat and waited for the bus. As time goes by I may have to live
> with one of my daughters but at present I am handling it. lol, my son's
> girlfriend bought one of her school-mates to meet me yesterday afternoon
> and her first impression was me face-planting on the road

Wow, what a mess! And here I was feeling sorry for myself because we had no
Internet. It is such a part of our lives, we can't seem to live without it.
The school went bookless and all of the work is online. They do make
exceptions for those who truly can't get the Internet. They are allowed to
take books. But that doesn't apply to us. So Angela had to get to school
even earlier to borrow a book to do her homework.

Just today, three different people told me to go online and ____. I had to
reply that I could not. Frontier had not come out to fix it so Angela and I
took to bed for a nap. I woke up and found it on. Yay! Then I tried to
get her up to eat dinner so she can go to dance. She was exhausted. But
once I mentioned that we had Internet, she was right up!

We weren't totally without because we do have Smartphones but she couldn't
do the homework because it needs the Adobe whatever it is and that's not
supported on the phone.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> I discovered coconut yoghurt by chance and tried it. I love it Too much
> milk does cause me gut problems but I don't avoid dairy altogether. So a
> taste preference really.

Angela loved it too but then she developed the coconut intolerance. Seems
many of her favorite foods and drinks had coconut in them. She loved the
coconut water too. Blech.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 08:33:38 +1000
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> I discovered coconut yoghurt by chance and tried it. I love it Too
> much milk does cause me gut problems but I don't avoid dairy
> altogether. So a taste preference really.

Looking at your whole list, your diet isn't bad by my standards.
I don't see much sugar: only a little bit added to a sweet potato.
I am sometimes able to tolerate more sugar when I add
cinnamon. Strawberries have less fructose than most fruits; I still
eat a few myself (without sugar). The only dairy was a bit of cottage
cheese. The summer fruit is only there for a short time, and
this problem only occurs with regular ingestion after several
weeks.

I don't see any ice cream, soft drinks, or candy.

My FBG would probably stay under 110 with this, but I am trying to
keep it under 90.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Tue, 10 Sep 2013 17:33:43 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>
> > I discovered coconut yoghurt by chance and tried it. I love it
> > Too much milk does cause me gut problems but I don't avoid dairy
> > altogether. So a taste preference really.

> Angela loved it too but then she developed the coconut intolerance.
> Seems many of her favorite foods and drinks had coconut in them. She
> loved the coconut water too. Blech.

The way it seems to work with me is that I acquire an allergy to
anything that I eat regularly that contains fructose. According
to charts of fructose content, I could develop an allergy to
coconut. The coconuts here are older and not as sweet as the
ones in the charts, and they are so expensive here that I
rarely eat fresh. What I use in coffee and tea is
coconut cream, which is *cooked* coconut milk.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I would probably have 1/2 a teaspoon or less of the cinnamon sugar. So
the sugar amount would be even less mixed with cinnamon. I gut a
thick'ish slice of sweet potato cross-ways so like a medallion. Not a
lot of surface to spice up If I was trying to manage bg's I would be
90 or less on this diet.

"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> I discovered coconut yoghurt by chance and tried it. I love it Too
> much milk does cause me gut problems but I don't avoid dairy
> altogether. So a taste preference really.

Looking at your whole list, your diet isn't bad by my standards.
I don't see much sugar: only a little bit added to a sweet potato.
I am sometimes able to tolerate more sugar when I add
cinnamon. Strawberries have less fructose than most fruits; I still
eat a few myself (without sugar). The only dairy was a bit of cottage
cheese. The summer fruit is only there for a short time, and
this problem only occurs with regular ingestion after several
weeks.

I don't see any ice cream, soft drinks, or candy.

My FBG would probably stay under 110 with this, but I am trying to
keep it under 90.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 07 Sep 2013 22:05:13 +0200
Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:

> >> However: After "Shock-headed Peter" in the afternoon DW and I went
> >> to a small restaurant for a snack and a glass of wine. The snack
> >> was baked Brie with glazed walnuts - served with drops of balsamico
> >> vinegar on the plate. Yum - and I took a chance that the honey
> >> glazing was not enough to matter.
> >>
> >> [0] parliament, congress, rijksdag ...
> >>

> > So what is your a1c? How much insulin do you take?
> >

> Sorry - found this failed post in the spool. I wondered if I had
> killfiled myself ...
>
> Last a1c was 5.7 if I recall correctly - and I'm type 2, no insulin,
> 3 mg glimepiride daily. Fbg slightly above the diagnostic limit, 7.5
> this morning, recent exercise brought it down from 8.7 or so. I'd
> like to keep it lower, but the dawn phenomenon seems to hit me :-)
>
> Anyway - no complications so far. Retinas OK, feet fine, no kidney
> damage showing up in the blood work. Life is good. Wish I wasn't
> looking over my shoulder for a certain Murphy to show up ...

7.5 is 135 the way we measure it here. That's too high,
even for an after meal spike.

I could be up there
after a meal of young cheese and glazed walnuts. I was
83 yesterday and 95 this morning. I ate a loaf
of commercial bread in the last two days. According to
the fructose intolerance forum the problem with bread is
actually the fructose. Yeast preferentially metabolizes
glucose and leaves the fructose behind. Some sourdough
breads are OK, because they have different microbes doing
the rising. This particular "Seattle style" sourdough
doesn't seem to be any worse than potatoes. Have to try
this a few more times to be sure.

I have not tested *cooked* cheese, and it could be that a
cooked young cheese would be OK. I found a list of fast food
meals with fructose content, and one major pizza chain seemed
to be tolerably low. Over the last two weeks I have had three
of them, and they don't seem to do anything bad. There isn't
a lot of cheese in there though.

So I have been able to expand my diet quite a bit by switching
from low carb to low fructose/galactose. There is Murphy lurking
there somewhere no doubt, and there there are Flale's corollaries
in the innate animosity of inanimate objects to consider. Watch out
for those.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 7 Sep 2013 04:19:27 -0700, Trawley Trash
> wrote:

>On Fri, 06 Sep 2013 21:58:12 -0500
>DonOpple0paad > wrote:
>
>> > It puts my type II diabetes in remission. What makes you
>> > so sure that it only relates to me?

>> Cancer goes into remission, diabetes does not.

> That is what my doctor told me. When my a1c dropped from
> 11.1 to 5.4 he made a career decision. He now works in
> emergency treating trauma. The doctor who replaced him
> won't even talk about diabetes.
>
> This morning my FBG is 94. I don't take any drugs or
> count calores or carbs. I found those no fructose
> casaba melons that I was asking about a year ago
> in a local market. Had a nice big slice just before
> bed. It was delicious. If it had been honeydew or
> cantaloupe, my FBG would be in the diabetic range right
> now.

Your nose is in the way, Pinocchio.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 09:05:22 -0700
Todd > wrote:

> Remember that 7.5 is based on 120 days, plus or
> minus 25 days for a T0. S-L-O-P-P-Y.
>
> http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/27/4/931.full
> "The 23 subjects with type 2 diabetes had a mean
> erythrocyte survival of 112 ± 25 days"
>
> So you have to do your own FBG average over the same
> time frame and figure out what your actual A1c
> correlates to for you. A1c is a really, really
> sloppy measurement. But, helpful is you can say
> my personal A1c corresponds to my my own FBG
> of such and such.

You can't just use FBG to estimate what the a1c should
be. It is an average of BG for the last few months
(maybe 120 days). Really it is a weighted average
where the most recent BG readings have more effect
then those that are a month or two old. You need
calculus to describe it exactly. The paper points
out some of the factors that cause the averaging
function to vary.

My FBG was 105 this morning, and I began to worry
that all that extra bread was doing me in.
But I decided to continue this game one more day
before I cut back the calories. So I had
a large breakfast of two baked potatoes, 180 grams
of grass fed hamburger, an avocado, and a mound of
home made sauerkraut. When I was ready to go to
the gym an hour later, my BG had dropped to 70
(3.4 in your units).

Frustrated at my inability to show the slightest
sign of diabetes, I decided to go off my diet.
I went to a restaurant and
had eggs with more potatoes. The eggs had young
raw cheese on them with ham and bell peppers
(all bad), and of course I acquired an egg
allergy from a long-ago vaccination. Four hours
later my BG was still up at 150. Gratifying.

So then I went back on my diet. I made a huge
salad with iceberg lettuce,
lentil sprouts, and celery with olive oil and
fresh lime juice dressing. To go with it I
had four more slices of the magic BG-reducing bread.
An hour later BG had dropped to 109. Which
brings me up to the moment.

Clearly my BG readings are not following the approved
script. It does seem that my diet works very
well for me though. And although it may only
work for a minority, I don't believe it is
a minority of one.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Is everyone on vacation? TheRealDeal Diabetic 0 02-09-2013 09:12 PM
Vacation Bob Terwilliger[_1_] General Cooking 7 09-09-2011 05:25 AM
I'm on Vacation!! Christine Dabney General Cooking 25 15-10-2007 02:27 PM
vacation sd danw4 Sourdough 4 18-09-2005 01:48 PM
Vacation THEMOM1 Baking 3 26-01-2004 05:24 PM