Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default question about butter milk powder

Hi All,

Previously, I have been using "cultured" buttermilk by
the quart. Thinking powdered "not" cultured butter milk
would last longer and taste better, I bought a bag of
sweet cream butter milk powder. The usage was for ranch
dressing and coconut pancakes:

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/bobs...wder-24-oz-pkg

Problem: this stuff tasted like very high quality regular milk.
Very nice tasting actually. But it doesn't taste like buttermilk.
Is this because I have never tasted real butter milk before this?
What is going on?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: Hi All,

: Previously, I have been using "cultured" buttermilk by
: the quart. Thinking powdered "not" cultured butter milk
: would last longer and taste better, I bought a bag of
: sweet cream butter milk powder. The usage was for ranch
: dressing and coconut pancakes:

: https://www.swansonvitamins.com/bobs...wder-24-oz-pkg

: Problem: this stuff tasted like very high quality regular milk.
: Very nice tasting actually. But it doesn't taste like buttermilk.
: Is this because I have never tasted real butter milk before this?
: What is going on?

: Many thanks,
: -T

I can't actually answer your question, but I will tell you that my late
husband usd to love buttermilk, but it was quite expensive. He found that
if he bought a quart of cultured buttermilk with the live cultures in it
he could make himself a bargain buttermilk by adding abot ua half a cup of
the buttermilk to a quart of reconstituted dry skim miilk adn let it sit
on thecounter inthe kitchen (summer in New York City) and it woudl become
buttermilk as the live cultures worked.

As buttermilk originally was the skimmed remains after the butter was
made( from the cream in the milk) it would be a low or no fat product.
The stuff you bought said it was sweet cream buttermilk. tat sound like a
ocntradiction of terms.

I don't know if this helps you at all, but it is relaed to butermilk and
finding ways to get it.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08/03/2013 03:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : Previously, I have been using "cultured" buttermilk by
> : the quart. Thinking powdered "not" cultured butter milk
> : would last longer and taste better, I bought a bag of
> : sweet cream butter milk powder. The usage was for ranch
> : dressing and coconut pancakes:
>
> : https://www.swansonvitamins.com/bobs...wder-24-oz-pkg
>
> : Problem: this stuff tasted like very high quality regular milk.
> : Very nice tasting actually. But it doesn't taste like buttermilk.
> : Is this because I have never tasted real butter milk before this?
> : What is going on?
>
> : Many thanks,
> : -T
>
> I can't actually answer your question, but I will tell you that my late
> husband usd to love buttermilk, but it was quite expensive. He found that
> if he bought a quart of cultured buttermilk with the live cultures in it
> he could make himself a bargain buttermilk by adding abot ua half a cup of
> the buttermilk to a quart of reconstituted dry skim miilk adn let it sit
> on thecounter inthe kitchen (summer in New York City) and it woudl become
> buttermilk as the live cultures worked.
>
> As buttermilk originally was the skimmed remains after the butter was
> made( from the cream in the milk) it would be a low or no fat product.
> The stuff you bought said it was sweet cream buttermilk. tat sound like a
> ocntradiction of terms.
>
> I don't know if this helps you at all, but it is relaed to butermilk and
> finding ways to get it.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

That is actually brilliant. My ranch dressing recipe calls for
a cup of buttermilk. I could sub 3/4 cup of reconstituted
powdered stuff and 1/4 cup of the cultured stuff. My recipe calls
for leaving it in the refrigerator for a couple days, so perfect!

Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 08/03/2013 03:28 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Todd > wrote:
: > : Hi All,
: >
[...]

You may well ned some time at room temperature fo it to clabber properly.
It is not as fussy as making yogurt, which requires a more precise
temperature as the bacteriaa for yogurt are fussier, but Syd used to leave
it overnight on the kitchen counter and check t in the morning. I don't
tnk the fridge would do it but you can alwsy try. once you have it going
you do not have to buy more buttermilk. You just make a quart and take
your cultur bit from that quart you made for the next quart. this can do
on quite indefinitely. Syd nly drank it in the summer, so each year he
sarted a ne batch from a bought quart and then it was all reconstited
milk for he rest of the summer.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08/04/2013 05:37 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> [...]
> : powdered stuff and 1/4 cup of the cultured stuff. My recipe calls
> : for leaving it in the refrigerator for a couple days, so perfect!
>
> : Thank you!
>
> : -T
>
> You may well ned some time at room temperature fo it to clabber properly.
> It is not as fussy as making yogurt, which requires a more precise
> temperature as the bacteriaa for yogurt are fussier, but Syd used to leave
> it overnight on the kitchen counter and check t in the morning. I don't
> tnk the fridge would do it but you can alwsy try. once you have it going
> you do not have to buy more buttermilk. You just make a quart and take
> your cultur bit from that quart you made for the next quart. this can do
> on quite indefinitely. Syd nly drank it in the summer, so each year he
> sarted a ne batch from a bought quart and then it was all reconstited

Thank you!

Member

Usually buttermilk taste gives mild citric and sweet looks like fresh cream. It comes from the Milk family. I don't think so about buying readymade one. Instead of using buttermilk powder, You could prepare buttermilk from home itself. Just we want one glass boiled milk and 2 drops of lemon juice. Before going bed, add 2 drop of lemon juice in milk dont shake the milk or mix together that is very important. Without shaking keep aside for overnite. Next morning Buttermilk is ready to taste cream like consitency.

Note: Don't let that buttermilk away for more than one day it taste more sour. So best to keep in refridgerator and use it whenever u want. But this should be done only after buttermilk is yet to ready.

Health tip: Using buttermilk is to reduce heat in body, Cure Peptic Ulcer etc., Apply to face for the fairness and glowing skin those who have oil skin. Apply to hair to get rid of dandruff.