Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Golden Globe Turnips

Hi All,

Harvested my first two Golden Globe Turnips.

http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/

I was hoping for a more potato tasting turnip. Oh my
goodness: these things are SUPER TURNIPS. So much turnip
taste and smell that your eyes water and your nose clears!
No stale radishes here! WOW!!! Knock your head off!

Anyone know how to make a super turnip palatable?
(I got about 60 more to go!)

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Harvested my first two Golden Globe Turnips.
>
> http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/
>
> I was hoping for a more potato tasting turnip. Oh my
> goodness: these things are SUPER TURNIPS. So much turnip
> taste and smell that your eyes water and your nose clears!
> No stale radishes here! WOW!!! Knock your head off!
>
> Anyone know how to make a super turnip palatable?
> (I got about 60 more to go!)
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Take one bottle of cheap red wine. If that doesn't work, take another ;O)
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Experienced Member

Hi this is clinicaltrials, joined just now before. Great thread you given Todd, Hope you know about the benefits of turnip. Ofcourse, Turnip greens are an excellent source of riboflavin, calcium and iron and also a good source of calcium, phosphor and magnesium. It lower the risk of obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, and cancers of the stomach, pancreas, bladder, and lung it used as antioxidants as well.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
clinicaltrials > wrote:

> Hi this is clinicaltrials, joined just now before. Great thread you
> given Todd, Hope you know about the benefits of turnip. Ofcourse, Turnip
> greens are an excellent source of riboflavin, calcium and iron and also
> a good source of calcium, phosphor and magnesium. It lower the risk of
> obesity, high blood pressure, diabetes, and cancers of the stomach,
> pancreas, bladder, and lung it used as antioxidants as well.

Yes, eat the turnip greens, and then throw the roots into the cellar for
the dead of winter, when you'll eat most anything.

I only have one little problem with this recipe.

Soy-Braised Pork Country Ribs with Carrots and Turnips
This terrific dish is made in one large deep skillet. A sweet-spicy
broth infuses the meat and the veggies with rich flavor. Ask your
butcher to cut the ribs for you.
4 to 6 servings
€ PREP: 1 hour
€ TOTAL: 2 hours

Ingredients
€ 1/2 cup low-salt chicken broth
€ 3 tablespoons dry Sherry
€ 3 tablespoons soy sauce
€ 1 tablespoon (packed) golden brown sugar
€ 1 teaspoon hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek)
€ 2 1/2 pounds boneless pork shoulder (Boston butt), cut into 5x1
1/2-inch strips (sometimes called boneless country-style pork ribs)
€ 2 tablespoons peanut oil
€ 1 medium onion, chopped
€ 4 green onions; white and pale green parts finely chopped, green
parts thinly sliced
€ 3 garlic cloves, chopped
€ 1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
€ 3 whole star anise
€ 3 long strips orange peel removed from orange with vegetable peeler
€ 3/4 pound carrots, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
€ 3/4 pound turnips, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
€ Steamed white rice
€ Ingredient Info
Hot chili paste (such as sambal oelek) can be found in the Asian foods
section of many supermarkets and at Asian markets. Look for whole star
anise‹brown star-shaped seedpods‹in the spice section of some
supermarkets and at specialty foods stores and Asian markets.
Preparation
€ Whisk chicken broth, Sherry, soy sauce, brown sugar, and hot chili
paste in small bowl to blend; set aside. Sprinkle ribs with salt and
pepper. Heat peanut oil in heavy large deep skillet over medium-high
heat. Working in batches, cook ribs until browned, about 4 minutes per
side. Transfer ribs to plate. Reduce heat to medium. Add chopped onion
to skillet and sauté until soft, about 4 minutes. Add white parts of
green onions, garlic, and ginger; sauté until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
Add chicken broth mixture, stirring to scrape up any browned bits. Add
star anise and orange peel; bring to simmer.
€ Return ribs to same skillet. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and
simmer 30 minutes. Add carrots and turnips to skillet, pushing to
submerge in sauce. Cover and simmer until vegetables and ribs are
tender, gently stirring mixture occasionally, about 30 minutes longer.
Transfer mixture to platter. Serve with steamed rice.

€ Nutritional Information
One serving contains:
€ Calories (kcal) 459.8
€ %Calories from Fat 61.7
€ Fat (g) 31.7
€ Saturated Fat (g) 10.7
€ Cholesterol (mg) 106.8
€ Carbohydrates (g) 15.4
€ Dietary Fiber (g) 5.1
€ Total Sugars (g) 7.7
€ Net Carbs (g) 10.4
€ Protein (g) 28.2
€ Sodium (mg) 829.1

The problem is the rice. Maybe this is the time to break out the
cauliflower mashed-potato-substitute.

It is also that time of year when you should let your inner Paleolithic
self out to eat some seasonal food.

Low Carb Blueberry Cobbler*

Ingredients
2 teaspoons xylitol
3/4 cup blueberries, fresh or frozen
1 Tablespoon unsweetened shredded coconut (I used reduced fat when I
made it and calculated the calories)
1 1/2 Tablespoon almond meal (ground up almonds)
1 teaspoon applesauce
pinch salt
splash vanilla extract
sweetener, to taste ( 1/2 a packet of stevia)

Directions
Preheat oven to 400F.
In a small skillet, melt xylitol. When xylitol has completely dissolved,
add in blueberries and cook, stirring frequently, for a few minutes, or
until they are liquidy but still retaing some of their shape, and remove
from heat.

Meanwhile, combine shredded coconut, almond meal, applesauce, salt,
vanilla extract, and sweeter in a small bowl and mix well. The
applesauce should coat all the other ingredients to the point where they
can stick together, but not be too moist. Place the cooked blueberry
mixture in a greased ramekin (about 6-8 ounces), and sprinkle the
coconut mixture in small bits over the blueberries. Bake in the oven at
400F for *about 20 minutes, or until the top is cooked, crisp, and
slightly browned.
----------

Low Carb Strawberry Cobbler
Total Time: 45 mins
Serves 6
Ingredients:
€ 4 C strawberries
€ 1/4 cup Splenda granular or 1/2 teaspoon liquid Splenda sugar
substitute
€ 1/2 cup butter, softened
€ 1/2 cup Splenda granular or 1 teaspoon liquid Splenda sugar
substitute
€ 2 eggs
€ 1 cup almond flour
€ 1 teaspoon vanilla
€ 1 pinch salt, optional, if using unsalted butter
€ 1 cup heavy cream, whipped, sweetened, if desired

Directions:
1. Mix the fruit with the Splenda.

2. Place the fruit in a greased 6x8" baking dish or equivalent
shallow baking pan (a 9x5" loaf pan or a 9-inch metal pie
plate would be about the right size).

3. In medium bowl, beat butter and Splenda with a fork until creamy.

4. Beat in eggs with fork until blended (it will look curdled).

5. Mix in the almond flour and vanilla with fork.

6. Dollop by large spoonfuls over fruit; it will spread while baking
so don't be too fussy.

7. Bake at 375ºF for 30 minutes or so, until topping is golden brown
(it should be quite brown for the best flavor).

8. Let stand a few minutes to cool slightly, then serve warm topped
with whipped cream.

Back to stacking firewood.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08/06/2013 01:48 AM, clinicaltrials wrote:
> Hope you know about the benefits of turnip

Hi Trials,

The greens from my Golden Globes are so strong
they make your eyes water. And, they start out
with an after taste. Taking a garden hose to
your mouth for five minutes to try to rinse out
the after taste is not very effective either.

The roots are so strong, they curl the hair in
your nose and give you the most incredible burps.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE----YUK!

I am not sure they are recoverable, unless you
have some interesting biochemistry to share.

On the other hand, my Italian Parsley is ready
and tastes very good.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 08/06/2013 01:48 AM, clinicaltrials wrote:
> > Hope you know about the benefits of turnip

> Hi Trials,
>
> The greens from my Golden Globes are so strong
> they make your eyes water. And, they start out
> with an after taste. Taking a garden hose to
> your mouth for five minutes to try to rinse out
> the after taste is not very effective either.
>
> The roots are so strong, they curl the hair in
> your nose and give you the most incredible burps.
>
> EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE----YUK!
>
> I am not sure they are recoverable, unless you
> have some interesting biochemistry to share.

This is after sautéeing with olive oil, and garlic?

--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 08/07/2013 10:35 PM, Billy wrote:
> This is after sautéeing with olive oil, and garlic?

No.

The leaves or the bulbs or both?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 08/07/2013 10:35 PM, Billy wrote:
: > This is after saut?eing with olive oil, and garlic?

: No.

: The leaves or the bulbs or both?

: -T

Standard method for preparing grren is to saute them in olive oil
withslivers of freshgarlic in together. Usually you cancover the pan
after a minute or two and the greeens cook down.

No recipe, just a metihd.

I usually use the actual turnips in stews and soups. Some poeple like
them raw, peeled adn sliced in place of eating potato chips:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 08/07/2013 10:35 PM, Billy wrote:
> > This is after sautéeing with olive oil, and garlic?

> No.
>
> The leaves or the bulbs or both?
>
> -T

Greens.

We quarter the root and add it to roasts, along with carrots, potatoes,
parsnips, garlic, mushrooms, and bell peppers.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Member

Thanks for the great info clinicaltrials, and Thanks for the recipe Billy useful thread and informative.

Globe Artichoke Pasta? 25lockeed General Cooking 11 15-07-2014 08:22 PM
Pizza Eaters around the globe, name your toppings Jude General Cooking 119 11-05-2006 12:39 PM
First sushi, then the world (Boston Globe) Siegfried Kemper Sushi 4 06-06-2005 04:15 PM
Boston Globe article Neil Gillis Wine 0 15-02-2005 03:49 PM
Boston Globe reviews sushi and sake [email protected] Sushi 0 21-05-2004 07:45 PM