Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Cream for a sauce?

>> Hi Bjørn,
>>
>> We call them Caribou here (Alaska). Are they good eating?
>>
>> -T

> Excellent eating!
> In stores I can find packs of frozen "shavings" - small slices - of reindeer
> meat. Saute chopped onions, fry the thawed meat in oil, add cream for a
> sauce. Crushed juniper berries for a spice, in addition to s&p of course.
> (S)he who has an oven could try a roast - just treat it as venison.

Hi All,

What does Bjørn mean by "add cream for a sauce"? How is
this done?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

>>> Hi Bjørn,
>>>
>>> We call them Caribou here (Alaska). Are they good eating?
>>>
>>> -T

>> Excellent eating!
>> In stores I can find packs of frozen "shavings" - small slices - of
>> reindeer meat. Saute chopped onions, fry the thawed meat in oil, add
>> cream for a sauce. Crushed juniper berries for a spice, in addition to
>> s&p of course. (S)he who has an oven could try a roast - just treat it as
>> venison.

> Hi All,
>
> What does Bjørn mean by "add cream for a sauce"? How is
> this done?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Sorry - should have been clearer. During the frying there will be some
liquid in the pan. At medium heat, add your choice of cream - heavy, light,
sour - little by little, keep it at a low boil. You may want to let the
resulting sauce thicken. I add the cream after the meat is cooked through.
Experiment with small portions! Oh, and mushrooms will add to the
experience. Delicious. It's too late to go to the store, will have to go
tomorrow ...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/30/2013 10:40 AM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:

>>> Excellent eating!
>>> In stores I can find packs of frozen "shavings" - small slices - of
>>> reindeer meat. Saute chopped onions, fry the thawed meat in oil, add
>>> cream for a sauce. Crushed juniper berries for a spice, in addition to
>>> s&p of course. (S)he who has an oven could try a roast - just treat it as
>>> venison.

>> Hi All,
>>
>> What does Bjørn mean by "add cream for a sauce"? How is
>> this done?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Sorry - should have been clearer. During the frying there will be some
> liquid in the pan. At medium heat, add your choice of cream - heavy, light,
> sour - little by little, keep it at a low boil. You may want to let the
> resulting sauce thicken. I add the cream after the meat is cooked through.
> Experiment with small portions! Oh, and mushrooms will add to the
> experience. Delicious. It's too late to go to the store, will have to go
> tomorrow ...

Hi Bjørn,

Excellent instructions. Thank you!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/30/2013 11:03 AM, Todd wrote:

>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> What does Bjørn mean by "add cream for a sauce"? How is
>>> this done?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> Sorry - should have been clearer. During the frying there will be some
>> liquid in the pan. At medium heat, add your choice of cream - heavy,
>> light,
>> sour - little by little, keep it at a low boil. You may want to let the
>> resulting sauce thicken. I add the cream after the meat is cooked
>> through.
>> Experiment with small portions! Oh, and mushrooms will add to the
>> experience. Delicious. It's too late to go to the store, will have to go
>> tomorrow ...

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> Excellent instructions. Thank you!
>
> -T

What about adding a few slices of onion to the mix?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 07/30/2013 11:03 AM, Todd wrote:

>>> Sorry - should have been clearer. During the frying there will be some
>>> liquid in the pan. At medium heat, add your choice of cream - heavy,
>>> light,
>>> sour - little by little, keep it at a low boil. You may want to let the
>>> resulting sauce thicken. I add the cream after the meat is cooked
>>> through.
>>> Experiment with small portions! Oh, and mushrooms will add to the
>>> experience. Delicious. It's too late to go to the store, will have to go
>>> tomorrow ...

>> Hi Bjørn,
>>
>> Excellent instructions. Thank you!
>>
>> -T

> What about adding a few slices of onion to the mix?

Well, Todd, what do *you* think would happen if you added
onion slices to the mix? Remember that you started out with
sauteed onion.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/30/2013 01:38 PM, pavane wrote:

> "Todd" > wrote in message

>>> Hi Bjørn,
>>>
>>> Excellent instructions. Thank you!
>>>
>>> -T

>> What about adding a few slices of onion to the mix?

> Well, Todd, what do *you* think would happen if you added
> onion slices to the mix? Remember that you started out with
> sauteed onion.
>
> pavane

Ooops. I was concentrating on the cream.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/30/2013 11:31 AM, Todd wrote:
> On 07/30/2013 11:03 AM, Todd wrote:

>>> Sorry - should have been clearer. During the frying there will be some
>>> liquid in the pan. At medium heat, add your choice of cream - heavy,
>>> light,
>>> sour - little by little, keep it at a low boil. You may want to let the
>>> resulting sauce thicken. I add the cream after the meat is cooked
>>> through.
>>> Experiment with small portions! Oh, and mushrooms will add to the
>>> experience. Delicious. It's too late to go to the store, will have to go
>>> tomorrow ...

>> Hi Bjørn,
>>
>> Excellent instructions. Thank you!
>>
>> -T

> What about adding a few slices of onion to the mix?

Hi Bjørn,

Missed that you had already sauted onions.

I cooked up a pan of steaks for the week. I added
1/4 inch slice of an onion (chopped) to the pan. Then
removed the steaks when finished. Let the remaining
liquid and onion caramelize. Then poured in about a
cups of organic heavy whipping cream. Let it bubble.

Oh man! This is the best gravy I have ever made! And
4 grams or carbs (the onion) or less for the whole mess.

Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/30/2013 08:34 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 07/30/2013 11:31 AM, Todd wrote:

>>> Hi Bjørn,
>>>
>>> Excellent instructions. Thank you!
>>>
>>> -T

>> What about adding a few slices of onion to the mix?
>>

> Hi Bjørn,
>
> Missed that you had already sauted onions.
>
> I cooked up a pan of steaks for the week. I added
> 1/4 inch slice of an onion (chopped) to the pan. Then
> removed the steaks when finished. Let the remaining
> liquid and onion caramelize. Then poured in about a
> cups of organic heavy whipping cream. Let it bubble.
>
> Oh man! This is the best gravy I have ever made! And
> 4 grams or carbs (the onion) or less for the whole mess.
>
> Thank you!
>
> -T

Next week, your suggestion about mushrooms!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/30/2013 01:38 PM, pavane wrote:

> >> What about adding a few slices of onion to the mix?

> > Well, Todd, what do *you* think would happen if you added
> > onion slices to the mix? Remember that you started out with
> > sauteed onion.
> >
> > pavane

> Ooops. I was concentrating on the cream.

Just watched "Maigret in Finland". The world gets smaller, and smaller.
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie