Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Vegetarian diet for vegetable haters?

I should know how to do this. I did eat a vegetarian diet myself for many
years. And although I do eat meat now, most of my meals are still
vegetarian. I was never a totally strict vegetarian though and was fine
with eating something in a restaurant like refried beans that probably
contained lard.

But now Angela wants to eat a vegetarian diet. The problem? Well there are
a few. She doesn't like to eat what I eat. Such as bean tacos. I have
been concentrating so much on getting the proper diet for my husband and for
her that I have been mainly eating bean tacos for myself unless I can manage
to come up with something that we all or at least two of us can eat. And
now she is complicating things further. I also like most vegetables and she
does not. Of the vegetables we do prefer, we both prefer most of them to be
raw. But her list of what she will eat is limited. And she can't eat a lot
of nuts and seeds, partly due to an intolerance and partly because she
doesn't like the ones she can have. She is currently eating sunseed butter
on apple slices.

I did boil a dozen eggs last night and she told me she would eat them. I
don't usually make eggs because I can't eat them. She does sometimes make
an egg product for herself. Like Egg Beaters but different brands. She can
do that in the microwave. She will eat cheese in and of itself but mostly
doesn't like it in thing. Exception being mac and cheese. And Kraft does
now make one that is part whole grain. Her dietician has her on a mostly
South Beach diet. She doesn't want her to be strict with it and just wants
her to aim for that WOE most of the time.

We did buy a lot of vegetarian and vegan foods today but some contain soy
and some like seitain are a tad on the carby side. I don't want her to be
eating soy on a regular basis due to her thyroid problem.

She is unwilling to eat things like quiche which I likely could make with a
whole wheat crust or for sure crustless. I did make those when she first
went on South Beach and she didn't like them.

She doesn't like most cooked vegetables. Exception being canned green or
waxed beans. She will eat salad but is picky as to what type of greens and
what is put in the salad. There had better not be a tomato in it! She will
eat ketchup and salsa. She used to eat tomato soup but these days will not
eat any soup at all.

She does make her own smoothies with Greek yogurt, milk, berries and
spinach. She tried kale last night but didn't care for it. Hafta find a
use for the giant bag of kale!

So... While I probably have her diet covered for a good week or two just
with what we bought today, I am going to be stumped for upcoming meals.
Here I thought I had it made because she and my husband both love the
chicken I've been making. I would just cook up 8-12 boneless, skinless
breasts at a time. Save some for 2-3 meals during the week and if any was
left, I'd put it in the freezer. All I had to do was come up with some
sides.

But now? She won't be eating the chicken. I need to make sure she will be
getting enough protein. And I need to find a way to get her to eat
vegetables. I guess I should consider myself lucky that she does like a lot
of raw ones and like me, is perfectly happy to eat a plain salad with no
dressing and maybe just a squeeze of lemon.

I realize that there probably aren't any vegetarians here but... I am
stumped. Because of the pre-diabetes, I can't base the meals on beans and
rice or beans and pasta like I used to do when I was vegetarian. And bottom
line, she just doesn't like vegetables. I used to be able to make her a
meatloaf and sneak all kinds of veggies into it. Hmmm... Is there
something like that, that could be done with veggies that isn't overly
carby? Hmmm... Help!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
[...]

Amgela is not 14? I had a number of friends who had children(generaly
girls) who bcame vegetarian for a while in their teens. to a large extent
they put much of the descisions on the girl to understand what her basic
nutrition needs for a heathy lifestyle were and to let her handle much of
her food needs. she has to take responsibility for understanding what her
needs are. Perhaps her dietician can help her with this and then work
out how she will get what she needs. How successful this will be in your
home with all the sensitivities and food phobias that seem to be present
may make it difficult for both of you. At least, she is willing to eat
eggs and dairy which helps with the protein.

Good luck!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:25:15 -0700
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> I realize that there probably aren't any vegetarians here but... I
> am stumped. Because of the pre-diabetes, I can't base the meals on
> beans and rice or beans and pasta like I used to do when I was
> vegetarian. And bottom line, she just doesn't like vegetables. I
> used to be able to make her a meatloaf and sneak all kinds of veggies
> into it. Hmmm... Is there something like that, that could be done
> with veggies that isn't overly carby? Hmmm... Help!

A few suggestions.

You can add a little protein to a salad by using yogurt as a dressing.
I have to have something that says zero grams sugar. I can't find
any like that in stores, so I make my own. It isn't hard. It takes
a water bath at 110 degrees F for 24 hours to get a nice firm yogurt
with no sugar. I use a portable induction stovetop to hold the
temperature. You can start from any kind of milk. It comes out sour
so no lemon juice is needed. Add spices to taste for dressing. I
use turmeric, pepper, fenugreek, and juniper berries. Yogurt can
also be used in cooking.

You might try to find a class in Indian cooking. They do vegetarian
cooking better than anyone. Have Angela take the class; it is
time for her to learn to cook for herself. Local health food stores
here are run by Adventists, and they offer vegetarian cooking classes
as well. I think there may be one out your way somewhere.

Another suggestion is bean sprouts. Since our last discussion on this
I tried making lentil bean sprouts, and I like them better than
mung beans. They can be eaten raw or used in cooking. They are
high protein and wonderful in salads. I bought a sprouter, because
store bought sprouts are not very good. They just don't keep well enough.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> [...]
> : meatloaf and sneak all kinds of veggies into it. Hmmm... Is there
> : something like that, that could be done with veggies that isn't overly
> : carby? Hmmm... Help!
>
> Amgela is not 14? I had a number of friends who had children(generaly
> girls) who bcame vegetarian for a while in their teens. to a large extent
> they put much of the descisions on the girl to understand what her basic
> nutrition needs for a heathy lifestyle were and to let her handle much of
> her food needs. she has to take responsibility for understanding what her
> needs are. Perhaps her dietician can help her with this and then work
> out how she will get what she needs. How successful this will be in your
> home with all the sensitivities and food phobias that seem to be present
> may make it difficult for both of you. At least, she is willing to eat
> eggs and dairy which helps with the protein.

She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each other
again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of what was said
because I wasn't in there. But, Angela came out with a printout for some
Skinny Burritos that she was told to buy. I was like... Uh... Why? You
don't LIKE burritos! And it all played out something like this...

Dietician asked her what kind of fast food she liked to eat. Angela
answered truthfully. Said that she did not eat fast food. And this is
true. Once in a while we will have it but neither of us really like it. We
did go to Wendy's a couple of times when they had those short lived sweet
potatoes. And once in a while we have no choice but to go somewhere that we
don't really want to go to. But the dietician just kept pushing her and
pushing her to give an answer. The answer she kept giving was "My mom cooks
at home!" The dietician did not want to believe this and continued to push
until finally Angela broke down and said, "Once in a while my mom FORCES me
to eat Taco Time!" Which is true! We don't get that food very often.
Perhaps 4-5 times per year. It is not, IMO the same as other fast food
stuff because they truly do have healthy choices and the make the food from
scratch. But Angela doesn't really like it very much. Perhaps because one
year we ate at that place every Friday for a few months, fitting that stop
in between her Friday dance classes and our shopping at Costco and Target.
Then she put her foot down and refused to eat there again, preferring to
pick up something at Target that I could cook at home. Which was fine.

So anyway... The dietician then got excited, not really listening to Angela
and thinking that she had finally found something she would like. So she
printed off the picture of the burritos, telling her they were just like
what she got at Taco Time. They're not, AFAIK anything like what you can
get there, and Angela has only once ordered a burrito. She does not like
flour tortillas so burritos are not something that appeals to her But now I
have several of them in the freezer and I am hoping to give a couple to my
husband for dinner tonight.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Trawley Trash" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 27 Jul 2013 21:25:15 -0700
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> I realize that there probably aren't any vegetarians here but... I
>> am stumped. Because of the pre-diabetes, I can't base the meals on
>> beans and rice or beans and pasta like I used to do when I was
>> vegetarian. And bottom line, she just doesn't like vegetables. I
>> used to be able to make her a meatloaf and sneak all kinds of veggies
>> into it. Hmmm... Is there something like that, that could be done
>> with veggies that isn't overly carby? Hmmm... Help!

> A few suggestions.
>
> You can add a little protein to a salad by using yogurt as a dressing.
> I have to have something that says zero grams sugar. I can't find
> any like that in stores, so I make my own. It isn't hard. It takes
> a water bath at 110 degrees F for 24 hours to get a nice firm yogurt
> with no sugar. I use a portable induction stovetop to hold the
> temperature. You can start from any kind of milk. It comes out sour
> so no lemon juice is needed. Add spices to taste for dressing. I
> use turmeric, pepper, fenugreek, and juniper berries. Yogurt can
> also be used in cooking.

Except that she doesn't usually eat dressing. She prefers her salads plain,
just like I do. And I can't imagine anything I could cook with yogurt in it
than she would eat.

> You might try to find a class in Indian cooking. They do vegetarian
> cooking better than anyone. Have Angela take the class; it is
> time for her to learn to cook for herself. Local health food stores
> here are run by Adventists, and they offer vegetarian cooking classes
> as well. I think there may be one out your way somewhere.

Oh no! We very much dislike Indian food. The seasonings that they use do
not taste good to us at all.

> Another suggestion is bean sprouts. Since our last discussion on this
> I tried making lentil bean sprouts, and I like them better than
> mung beans. They can be eaten raw or used in cooking. They are
> high protein and wonderful in salads. I bought a sprouter, because
> store bought sprouts are not very good. They just don't keep well
> enough.

She won't eat sprouts and I no longer think they are safe to eat. I got rid
of all of my sprouters. I used to make them but I was the only one who
would eat them.

Thanks!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
> other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of what
> was said

If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own research on
the internet, shop for the food within the budget you allow for her, and let
her fix it too. That would solve all the problems.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:59:36 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>She won't eat sprouts and I no longer think they are safe to eat. I got rid
>of all of my sprouters. I used to make them but I was the only one who
>would eat them.
>
>Thanks!

If you grow them at home, why would they not be safe? You would be
the one who controls what they are exposed to while growing.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 15:56:51 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>She is 15 now.

Then let her cook her own food.

>And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each other
>again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of what was said
>because I wasn't in there. But, Angela came out with a printout for some
>Skinny Burritos that she was told to buy. I was like... Uh... Why? You
>don't LIKE burritos! And it all played out something like this...

>But now I
>have several of them in the freezer and I am hoping to give a couple to my
>husband for dinner tonight.

If you don't like them, then why did you buy them?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 16:33:41 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
>> other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of what
>> was said

>If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own research on
>the internet, shop for the food within the budget you allow for her, and let
>her fix it too. That would solve all the problems.
>
>Cheri

Works for any teen going through their fad diets as well as any who
needs to simply learn how to take care of themselves. Unless they are
spoiled rotten and simply to lazy to cook for themselves.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
>> other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of
>> what was said

> If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own
> research on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you
> allow for her, and let her fix it too. That would solve all the
> problems.

Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her decision on
the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
>>> other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of
>>> what was said

>> If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own
>> research on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you
>> allow for her, and let her fix it too. That would solve all the
>> problems.

> Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her decision
> on the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.

Of course she would do it, if she got hungry enough, believe me she would.
She doesn't, simply because you cater to her and she knows that....but
that's up to you. It seems that both of you enjoy the constant battle over
food, so there's really no harm in it.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> Cheri wrote:

>>> If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own
>>> research on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you
>>> allow for her, and let her fix it too. That would solve all the
>>> problems.

>> Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her decision
>> on the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.

> Of course she would do it, if she got hungry enough, believe me she would.
> She doesn't, simply because you cater to her and she knows that....but
> that's up to you. It seems that both of you enjoy the constant battle over
> food, so there's really no harm in it.

No. She would just eat something like a big bowl of cereal. Some people
are just that way.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Cheri wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
>> other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of what
>> was said

> If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own research
> on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you allow for her,
> and let her fix it too. That would solve all the problems.
>
> Cheri

At that age, occasionally our kids would handle weekly shopping on a fixed
budget - for all four of us. Worked just fine!

A side effect was that the adults could safely go on a holiday alone,
leaving the teens to care for house and cats. The worst thing that happened
was that the basement pipes froze one exceptionally cold winter. They knew
what to do.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Bjørn Steensrud" > wrote in message
> Cheri wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
>>> other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of what
>>> was said

>> If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own research
>> on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you allow for her,
>> and let her fix it too. That would solve all the problems.
>>
>> Cheri

> At that age, occasionally our kids would handle weekly shopping on a fixed
> budget - for all four of us. Worked just fine!

I would too at that age but she is just not interested.

> A side effect was that the adults could safely go on a holiday alone,
> leaving the teens to care for house and cats. The worst thing that
> happened
> was that the basement pipes froze one exceptionally cold winter. They knew
> what to do.

Yep. My parents began leaving me home alone when I was about 12. Not a
problem. She doesn't much like being left alone. She is not very grown up
in that respect and not for the lack of trying on my part. But there is a
lot more to that and I'm not going to get into that here.

Bottom line in this house, I am in charge of the food. I will gladly take
input and help but they don't want to give it so... I do have her help me
when I need her to. She can prep stuff and make a sandwich or salad. But
that's about as far as she will go.

Does not help me any that my own mom and my brother do not cook. She sees
that one can make it through life without cooking and that seems to be the
path she wants to take.

Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
[...]

It's hard to feed kids with vegetables specially when they're not used to eating the foods we eat.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:
: Cheri wrote:
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >
: >> She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
: >> other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of
: >> what was said
: >
: >
: >
: > If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own
: > research on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you
: > allow for her, and let her fix it too. That would solve all the
: > problems.

: Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her decision on
: the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.

Let her eat watever she will decide and fix for herself. her appetite will
move her from smoothies after a while. She may not like it particulrly,
but she will begin to cook for herself.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
: Cheri wrote:

: > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >
[...]

Call the plumber? that's what I did this spring when I turned on the
water at my little country house and a great flood appearaed in the
basement from a pressure tank pipe I, apparenly, had improperly drained.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> Does not help me any that my own mom and my brother do not cook. She sees
> that one can make it through life without cooking and that seems to be the
> path she wants to take.

You've always complained about all the stuff that your mom cooks that you
don't like from childhood to present day (the list is endless) so now, she
doesn't cook, I wonder how that happened? At any rate, as I said, you can
continue to enable your daughter or you can be the adult and give her a hand
growing up. Either way, it's up to you and what you're comfortable with
since it's your daughter. JMO I'm going to be honest and tell you that I
think you have put WAY too much information about your daughter on the net
as it is, which is completely unfair to her, but as long as you continue to
do it, people will comment.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
>> Does not help me any that my own mom and my brother do not cook. She
>> sees that one can make it through life without cooking and that seems to
>> be the path she wants to take.

> You've always complained about all the stuff that your mom cooks that you
> don't like from childhood to present day (the list is endless) so now, she
> doesn't cook, I wonder how that happened? At any rate, as I said, you can
> continue to enable your daughter or you can be the adult and give her a
> hand growing up. Either way, it's up to you and what you're comfortable
> with since it's your daughter. JMO I'm going to be honest and tell you
> that I think you have put WAY too much information about your daughter on
> the net as it is, which is completely unfair to her, but as long as you
> continue to do it, people will comment.

I did complain of what my mom cooked. My mom has always hated to cook and
when we had the money to do so, we ate out and not at home. And we did eat
out most of the time. To me, that was normal because it is just what we did.

I took over the cooking at home at age 12. But still, we ate out most of
the time because my mom does not like to eat at home and neither does my
dad. Both prefer to dine out.

Once I moved out of the house, my mom pretty much stopped cooking
altogether. She did cook a few meals for my husband because he *hates* to
eat out. And she did cook if she or my dad were on some special diet or
something. But if there were any way around that, she'd take it.

Since Angela has been born, my mom has only cooked and had us over to eat
maybe 2-3 times a year, if that. Those times being Thanksgiving, Christmas
and Easter and perhaps some odd time where she decided to cook pork chops
and brown rice. We have had many Christmas dinners out though. And once we
went over for the 4th of July. I don't think she cooked though. My dad did
BBQ and we brought the sides.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"elementsresto" > wrote in
message .. .

> [...]
>> vegetables. I guess I should consider myself lucky that she does like a
>> lot
>> of raw ones and like me, is perfectly happy to eat a plain salad with no
>>
>> dressing and maybe just a squeeze of lemon.
>>
>> I realize that there probably aren't any vegetarians here but... I am
>> stumped. Because of the pre-diabetes, I can't base the meals on beans
>> and
>> rice or beans and pasta like I used to do when I was vegetarian. And
>> bottom
>> line, she just doesn't like vegetables. I used to be able to make her a
>>
>> meatloaf and sneak all kinds of veggies into it. Hmmm... Is there
>> something like that, that could be done with veggies that isn't overly
>> carby? Hmmm... Help!

> It's hard to feed kids with vegetables specially when they're not used

She is used to being given the same stuff that I eat. I would never force
her to eat something she didn't like though.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
> : Cheri wrote:
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >
> : >> She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
> : >> other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of
> : >> what was said
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : > If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own
> : > research on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you
> : > allow for her, and let her fix it too. That would solve all the
> : > problems.
>
> : Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her
> decision on
> : the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.
>
> Let her eat watever she will decide and fix for herself. her appetite will
> move her from smoothies after a while. She may not like it particulrly,
> but she will begin to cook for herself.

I don't know why people think that would happen. She would no more do that
than my husband would. There are plenty of things one can eat that don't
require cooking and that is the route both of them would take.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

"elementsresto" > wrote in
message .. .

> [...]
>> of raw ones and like me, is perfectly happy to eat a plain salad with no
>>
>> dressing and maybe just a squeeze of lemon.
>>
>> I realize that there probably aren't any vegetarians here but... I am
>> stumped. Because of the pre-diabetes, I can't base the meals on beans
>> and
>> rice or beans and pasta like I used to do when I was vegetarian. And
>> bottom
>> line, she just doesn't like vegetables. I used to be able to make her a
>>
>> meatloaf and sneak all kinds of veggies into it. Hmmm... Is there
>> something like that, that could be done with veggies that isn't overly
>> carby? Hmmm... Help!

> It's hard to feed kids with vegetables specially when they're not used
> to eating the foods we eat.

She is used to being given the same stuff that I eat. I would never force
her to eat something she didn't like though.

Julie,
She is 15, this is the time for her to start becoming an adult, and she
can't do that without your help. Who's going to cook her food when she goes
to college or moves out? I always felt one of my jobs as a Mother was to
prepare my kids for after they leave home. All of my kids could cook, and
clean house, when they left home. Yes, even my two boys and they appriciated
it. My Daughter started cooking for the family when she was 14, she would
cook on the evenings that I worked...she wanted to, she liked to cook,
because we started doing that stuff together when she was little. Today she
bakes, with her three year olds help, and her husband cooks dinner It's a
good thing that you do things together, maybe you could sit down at the
computer and look up vegitaerian recipes and start her out on cookining easy
stuff. Good Luck ...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 18:42:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Cheri wrote:
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>>> She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
>>> other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of
>>> what was said

>> If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own
>> research on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you
>> allow for her, and let her fix it too. That would solve all the
>> problems.

>Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her decision on
>the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.

So are you saying that she will starve to death when she moves out? Or
will be going to her house to feed her?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:34:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>"Cheri" > wrote in message

>>> Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her decision
>>> on the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.

>> Of course she would do it, if she got hungry enough, believe me she would.
>> She doesn't, simply because you cater to her and she knows that....but
>> that's up to you. It seems that both of you enjoy the constant battle over
>> food, so there's really no harm in it.

>No. She would just eat something like a big bowl of cereal. Some people
>are just that way.

get rid of the cereal.