Old 29-07-2013, 03:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Vegetarian diet for vegetable haters?

Julie Bove wrote:
: Cheri wrote:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
: other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of
: what was said
:
:
:
: If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own
: research on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you
: allow for her, and let her fix it too. That would solve all the
: problems.

: Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her decision on
: the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.

Let her eat watever she will decide and fix for herself. her appetite will
move her from smoothies after a while. She may not like it particulrly,
but she will begin to cook for herself.

Wendy

Old 29-07-2013, 03:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:
: Cheri wrote:

: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
: other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of what
: was said
:
:
:
: If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own research
: on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you allow for her,
: and let her fix it too. That would solve all the problems.
:
: Cheri

: At that age, occasionally our kids would handle weekly shopping on a fixed
: budget - for all four of us. Worked just fine!

: A side effect was that the adults could safely go on a holiday alone,
: leaving the teens to care for house and cats. The worst thing that happened
: was that the basement pipes froze one exceptionally cold winter. They knew
: what to do.

Call the plumber? that's what I did this spring when I turned on the
water at my little country house and a great flood appearaed in the
basement from a pressure tank pipe I, apparenly, had improperly drained.

Wendy

Old 29-07-2013, 05:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Does not help me any that my own mom and my brother do not cook. She sees
that one can make it through life without cooking and that seems to be the
path she wants to take.

You've always complained about all the stuff that your mom cooks that you
don't like from childhood to present day (the list is endless) so now, she
doesn't cook, I wonder how that happened? At any rate, as I said, you can
continue to enable your daughter or you can be the adult and give her a hand
growing up. Either way, it's up to you and what you're comfortable with
since it's your daughter. JMO I'm going to be honest and tell you that I
think you have put WAY too much information about your daughter on the net
as it is, which is completely unfair to her, but as long as you continue to
do it, people will comment.

Cheri

Old 29-07-2013, 10:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

Does not help me any that my own mom and my brother do not cook. She
sees that one can make it through life without cooking and that seems to
be the path she wants to take.

You've always complained about all the stuff that your mom cooks that you
don't like from childhood to present day (the list is endless) so now, she
doesn't cook, I wonder how that happened? At any rate, as I said, you can
continue to enable your daughter or you can be the adult and give her a
hand growing up. Either way, it's up to you and what you're comfortable
with since it's your daughter. JMO I'm going to be honest and tell you
that I think you have put WAY too much information about your daughter on
the net as it is, which is completely unfair to her, but as long as you
continue to do it, people will comment.

I did complain of what my mom cooked. My mom has always hated to cook and
when we had the money to do so, we ate out and not at home. And we did eat
out most of the time. To me, that was normal because it is just what we did.

I took over the cooking at home at age 12. But still, we ate out most of
the time because my mom does not like to eat at home and neither does my
dad. Both prefer to dine out.

Once I moved out of the house, my mom pretty much stopped cooking
altogether. She did cook a few meals for my husband because he *hates* to
eat out. And she did cook if she or my dad were on some special diet or
something. But if there were any way around that, she'd take it.

Since Angela has been born, my mom has only cooked and had us over to eat
maybe 2-3 times a year, if that. Those times being Thanksgiving, Christmas
and Easter and perhaps some odd time where she decided to cook pork chops
and brown rice. We have had many Christmas dinners out though. And once we
went over for the 4th of July. I don't think she cooked though. My dad did
BBQ and we brought the sides.

Old 29-07-2013, 10:13 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"elementsresto" wrote in
message .. .

'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
;1852599']I should know how to do this. I did eat a vegetarian diet
myself for many
years. And although I do eat meat now, most of my meals are still
vegetarian. I was never a totally strict vegetarian though and was fine

with eating something in a restaurant like refried beans that probably
contained lard.

But now Angela wants to eat a vegetarian diet. The problem? Well there
are
a few. She doesn't like to eat what I eat. Such as bean tacos. I have

been concentrating so much on getting the proper diet for my husband and
for
her that I have been mainly eating bean tacos for myself unless I can
manage
to come up with something that we all or at least two of us can eat.
And
now she is complicating things further. I also like most vegetables and
she
does not. Of the vegetables we do prefer, we both prefer most of them
to be
raw. But her list of what she will eat is limited. And she can't eat a
lot
of nuts and seeds, partly due to an intolerance and partly because she
doesn't like the ones she can have. She is currently eating sunseed
butter
on apple slices.

I did boil a dozen eggs last night and she told me she would eat them.
don't usually make eggs because I can't eat them. She does sometimes
make
an egg product for herself. Like Egg Beaters but different brands. She
can
do that in the microwave. She will eat cheese in and of itself but
mostly
doesn't like it in thing. Exception being mac and cheese. And Kraft
does
now make one that is part whole grain. Her dietician has her on a
mostly
South Beach diet. She doesn't want her to be strict with it and just
wants
her to aim for that WOE most of the time.

We did buy a lot of vegetarian and vegan foods today but some contain
soy
and some like seitain are a tad on the carby side. I don't want her to
be
eating soy on a regular basis due to her thyroid problem.

She is unwilling to eat things like quiche which I likely could make
with a
whole wheat crust or for sure crustless. I did make those when she
first
went on South Beach and she didn't like them.

She doesn't like most cooked vegetables. Exception being canned green
or
waxed beans. She will eat salad but is picky as to what type of greens
and
what is put in the salad. There had better not be a tomato in it! She
will
eat ketchup and salsa. She used to eat tomato soup but these days will
not
eat any soup at all.

She does make her own smoothies with Greek yogurt, milk, berries and
spinach. She tried kale last night but didn't care for it. Hafta find
use for the giant bag of kale!

So... While I probably have her diet covered for a good week or two
just
with what we bought today, I am going to be stumped for upcoming meals.

Here I thought I had it made because she and my husband both love the
chicken I've been making. I would just cook up 8-12 boneless, skinless

breasts at a time. Save some for 2-3 meals during the week and if any
was
left, I'd put it in the freezer. All I had to do was come up with some

sides.

But now? She won't be eating the chicken. I need to make sure she will
be
getting enough protein. And I need to find a way to get her to eat
vegetables. I guess I should consider myself lucky that she does like a
lot
of raw ones and like me, is perfectly happy to eat a plain salad with no

dressing and maybe just a squeeze of lemon.

I realize that there probably aren't any vegetarians here but... I am
stumped. Because of the pre-diabetes, I can't base the meals on beans
and
rice or beans and pasta like I used to do when I was vegetarian. And
bottom
line, she just doesn't like vegetables. I used to be able to make her a

meatloaf and sneak all kinds of veggies into it. Hmmm... Is there
something like that, that could be done with veggies that isn't overly
carby? Hmmm... Help!

It's hard to feed kids with vegetables specially when they're not used
to eating the foods we eat.

She is used to being given the same stuff that I eat. I would never force
her to eat something she didn't like though.

Old 29-07-2013, 10:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:
: Cheri wrote:
: "Julie Bove" wrote in message
: ...
:
: She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
: other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of
: what was said
:
:
:
: If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own
: research on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you
: allow for her, and let her fix it too. That would solve all the
: problems.

: Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her
decision on
: the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.

Let her eat watever she will decide and fix for herself. her appetite will
move her from smoothies after a while. She may not like it particulrly,
but she will begin to cook for herself.

I don't know why people think that would happen. She would no more do that
than my husband would. There are plenty of things one can eat that don't
require cooking and that is the route both of them would take.

Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"elementsresto" wrote in
message .. .

'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

Julie,
She is 15, this is the time for her to start becoming an adult, and she
can't do that without your help. Who's going to cook her food when she goes
to college or moves out? I always felt one of my jobs as a Mother was to
prepare my kids for after they leave home. All of my kids could cook, and
clean house, when they left home. Yes, even my two boys and they appriciated
it. My Daughter started cooking for the family when she was 14, she would
cook on the evenings that I worked...she wanted to, she liked to cook,
because we started doing that stuff together when she was little. Today she
bakes, with her three year olds help, and her husband cooks dinner It's a
good thing that you do things together, maybe you could sit down at the
computer and look up vegitaerian recipes and start her out on cookining easy
stuff. Good Luck ...

Old 01-08-2013, 06:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 18:42:34 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

Cheri wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of
what was said

If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own
research on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you
allow for her, and let her fix it too. That would solve all the
problems.

Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her decision on
the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.

So are you saying that she will starve to death when she moves out? Or
will be going to her house to feed her?

Old 01-08-2013, 06:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:34:01 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message
Cheri wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

She is 15 now. And she and the dietician have agreed not to see each
other again. Apparently it did not go well. I don't know all of
what was said

If she's 15 let her figure out her own menu, she can do her own
research on the internet, shop for the food within the budget you
allow for her, and let her fix it too. That would solve all the
problems.

Except that she won't do that with a few exceptions. It was her decision
on the smoothies. But she has no interest in food otherwise.

Of course she would do it, if she got hungry enough, believe me she would.
She doesn't, simply because you cater to her and she knows that....but
that's up to you. It seems that both of you enjoy the constant battle over
food, so there's really no harm in it.

No. She would just eat something like a big bowl of cereal. Some people
are just that way.

get rid of the cereal.