FoodBanter.com

-   -   How do I get the butter into the pancake mix? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/424973-how-do-i-get.html)

Todd 22-07-2013 02:58 AM

How do I get the butter into the pancake mix?

Hi All,

I am still working my coconut pancake recipe.
I will report back when it is not too embarrassing.

I only use butter or olive oil. (I presume, coconut
wouldn't hurt me either.) I use none of the oil,
corn, canola, grapeseed (highly inflammatory), etc.,
that use chemical in their creation.

Question: I would like to get some butter or
oil into the pancake mix. If I melt butter, it will
start cooking the eggs and solidify the butter, making
it impossible to mix. The cream will solidify the
butter too.

I though of EVOO, but that might taste a little
*weird*.

How do I get the butter into the mix without solidifying
it or precooking the eggs?

Many thanks,
-T

Julie Bove[_2_] 22-07-2013 03:38 AM

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I am still working my coconut pancake recipe.
> I will report back when it is not too embarrassing.
>
> I only use butter or olive oil. (I presume, coconut
> wouldn't hurt me either.) I use none of the oil,
> corn, canola, grapeseed (highly inflammatory), etc.,
> that use chemical in their creation.
>
> Question: I would like to get some butter or
> oil into the pancake mix. If I melt butter, it will
> start cooking the eggs and solidify the butter, making
> it impossible to mix

Uh... Why would it do that? It wouldn't do that unless it was really hot.
All you have to do is let it soften and then you can add it.

.. The cream will solidify the
> butter too.

Uh... I don't think so but I don't really use cream in cooking.

> I though of EVOO, but that might taste a little
> *weird*.

I have made muffins and chocolate cake with olive oil. It's fine.

> How do I get the butter into the mix without solidifying
> it or precooking the eggs?

Just like I said. Let it sit out and soften.

bigwheel 22-07-2013 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd (Post 1850855)
Hi All,

I am still working my coconut pancake recipe.
I will report back when it is not too embarrassing.

I only use butter or olive oil. (I presume, coconut
wouldn't hurt me either.) I use none of the oil,
corn, canola, grapeseed (highly inflammatory), etc.,
that use chemical in their creation.

Question: I would like to get some butter or
oil into the pancake mix. If I melt butter, it will
start cooking the eggs and solidify the butter, making
it impossible to mix. The cream will solidify the
butter too.

I though of EVOO, but that might taste a little
*weird*.

How do I get the butter into the mix without solidifying
it or precooking the eggs?

Many thanks,
-T

The butter goes on top of the pancakes..not in the goopy stuff. Where you from Boy?

Trawley Trash 22-07-2013 12:26 PM

How do I get the butter into the pancake mix?

On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 18:58:18 -0700
Todd > wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am still working my coconut pancake recipe.
> I will report back when it is not too embarrassing.
>
> I only use butter or olive oil. (I presume, coconut
> wouldn't hurt me either.) I use none of the oil,
> corn, canola, grapeseed (highly inflammatory), etc.,
> that use chemical in their creation.
>
> Question: I would like to get some butter or
> oil into the pancake mix. If I melt butter, it will
> start cooking the eggs and solidify the butter, making
> it impossible to mix. The cream will solidify the
> butter too.
>
> I though of EVOO, but that might taste a little
> *weird*.
>
> How do I get the butter into the mix without solidifying
> it or precooking the eggs?

Coconut oil turns liquid in warm weather say
80 degrees. That's one way. Even butter softens
to the point that you could mix it in with a fork
in warm weather. If your kitchen is cold, a few
seconds in the microwave would do it.

I'd also be tempted to try substituting yogurt or
sour cream.

--
I'm Trawley Trash, and you haven't heard the last of me yet.

Billy[_8_] 23-07-2013 07:46 AM

How do I get the butter into the pancake mix?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am still working my coconut pancake recipe.
> I will report back when it is not too embarrassing.
>
> I only use butter or olive oil. (I presume, coconut
> wouldn't hurt me either.) I use none of the oil,
> corn, canola, grapeseed (highly inflammatory), etc.,
> that use chemical in their creation.

Logic is only as good as its hypothesis. Coconut oil isn't flax oil,and
flax oil can't stand the heat.

> Question: I would like to get some butter or
> oil into the pancake mix. If I melt butter, it will
> start cooking the eggs and solidify the butter, making
> it impossible to mix. The cream will solidify the
> butter too.
>
> I though of EVOO, but that might taste a little
> *weird*.
>
> How do I get the butter into the mix without solidifying
> it or precooking the eggs?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Wat are you talking about?
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Todd 25-07-2013 05:03 AM

On 07/21/2013 08:37 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1850855 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am still working my coconut pancake recipe.
>> I will report back when it is not too embarrassing.
>>
>> I only use butter or olive oil. (I presume, coconut
>> wouldn't hurt me either.) I use none of the oil,
>> corn, canola, grapeseed (highly inflammatory), etc.,
>> that use chemical in their creation.
>>
>> Question: I would like to get some butter or
>> oil into the pancake mix. If I melt butter, it will
>> start cooking the eggs and solidify the butter, making
>> it impossible to mix. The cream will solidify the
>> butter too.
>>
>> I though of EVOO, but that might taste a little
>> *weird*.
>>
>> How do I get the butter into the mix without solidifying
>> it or precooking the eggs?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> The butter goes on top of the pancakes..not in the goopy stuff. Where
> you from Boy?

So, use too much butter in the pan and let them
soak it up.

Not sure where I am from. My mother often asked me if
I was raised in a barn. I thought she was being sarcastic.
But, that would explain a lot of things. :-)

Todd 25-07-2013 05:05 AM

On 07/22/2013 04:26 AM, Trawley Trash wrote:
> On Sun, 21 Jul 2013 18:58:18 -0700
> Todd > wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am still working my coconut pancake recipe.
>> I will report back when it is not too embarrassing.
>>
>> I only use butter or olive oil. (I presume, coconut
>> wouldn't hurt me either.) I use none of the oil,
>> corn, canola, grapeseed (highly inflammatory), etc.,
>> that use chemical in their creation.
>>
>> Question: I would like to get some butter or
>> oil into the pancake mix. If I melt butter, it will
>> start cooking the eggs and solidify the butter, making
>> it impossible to mix. The cream will solidify the
>> butter too.
>>
>> I though of EVOO, but that might taste a little
>> *weird*.
>>
>> How do I get the butter into the mix without solidifying
>> it or precooking the eggs?

> Coconut oil turns liquid in warm weather say
> 80 degrees. That's one way. Even butter softens
> to the point that you could mix it in with a fork
> in warm weather. If your kitchen is cold, a few
> seconds in the microwave would do it.
>
> I'd also be tempted to try substituting yogurt or
> sour cream.

Thank you!

Todd 25-07-2013 05:09 AM

On 07/22/2013 11:46 PM, Billy wrote:
>> How do I get the butter into the mix without solidifying
>> >it or precooking the eggs?

> Wat are you talking about?

If I heat the butter hot enough so it is liquid, the cold eggs
and the cold liquids (cream) will re-solidify the butter.
The eggs may even start to cook. And, the butter won't
spread out evenly in the gooey stuff.

Trawley's "plastic state" recommendation may work, as long
as the butter doesn't re-solidify.

Any ideas?

W. Baker 25-07-2013 03:51 PM

Todd > wrote:
: On 07/22/2013 11:46 PM, Billy wrote:
: >> How do I get the butter into the mix without solidifying
: >> >it or precooking the eggs?

: > Wat are you talking about?

: If I heat the butter hot enough so it is liquid, the cold eggs
: and the cold liquids (cream) will re-solidify the butter.
: The eggs may even start to cook. And, the butter won't
: spread out evenly in the gooey stuff.

: Trawley's "plastic state" recommendation may work, as long
: as the butter doesn't re-solidify.

: Any ideas?

Back in the days when I had kids around and used to make muffins for
Sunday breakfast, I used to add melted butter to the batter of flour, ,
eggs, milk or whaever and it worked fine. just be beating the batter as
you add it.

I also used to make butterscotch brownines o the boys to tae to school
with their lunches that was made in a pot, starting with meltining butter
, then adding eggs adn other ingredients. You did have to be careful not
to scramble the eggs, but you didn't need boiling butter, just melted.
Unfortuatnely, my memory was that these brownies were absolutely
delicious. I haven't thought of them for years and now will have to deal
with those thoughts:-)

Wendy

Todd 26-07-2013 05:35 PM

On 07/25/2013 07:51 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Back in the days when I had kids around and used to make muffins for
> Sunday breakfast, I used to add melted butter to the batter of flour, ,
> eggs, milk or whaever and it worked fine. just be beating the batter as
> you add it.

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

At what point did you add the melted butter? I am adding
the coconut flour at the very last as it turns everything
into a paste.

-T

W. Baker 26-07-2013 06:17 PM

Todd > wrote:
: On 07/25/2013 07:51 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: > Back in the days when I had kids around and used to make muffins for
: > Sunday breakfast, I used to add melted butter to the batter of flour, ,
: > eggs, milk or whaever and it worked fine. just be beating the batter as
: > you add it.

: Hi Wendy,

: Thank you!

: At what point did you add the melted butter? I am adding
: the coconut flour at the very last as it turns everything
: into a paste.

: -T

I added it last.

Wendy

Todd 26-07-2013 06:23 PM

On 07/26/2013 10:17 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 07/25/2013 07:51 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > Back in the days when I had kids around and used to make muffins for
> : > Sunday breakfast, I used to add melted butter to the batter of flour, ,
> : > eggs, milk or whaever and it worked fine. just be beating the batter as
> : > you add it.
>
> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : Thank you!
>
> : At what point did you add the melted butter? I am adding
> : the coconut flour at the very last as it turns everything
> : into a paste.
>
> : -T
>
> I added it last.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Makes sense. It (the butter) will be in a plastic state. It
doesn't have to be homogeneously mixed in, just stirred well,
as it will meld when it hits the hot pan.

Thank you!

-T

Billy[_8_] 27-07-2013 05:32 PM

wrote:

> On 07/26/2013 10:17 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> > Todd > wrote:
> > : On 07/25/2013 07:51 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> > : > Back in the days when I had kids around and used to make muffins for
> > : > Sunday breakfast, I used to add melted butter to the batter of flour, ,
> > : > eggs, milk or whaever and it worked fine. just be beating the batter as
> > : > you add it.
> >
> > : Hi Wendy,
> >
> > : Thank you!
> >
> > : At what point did you add the melted butter? I am adding
> > : the coconut flour at the very last as it turns everything
> > : into a paste.
> >
> > : -T
> >
> > I added it last.
> >
> > Wendy
> >

> Hi Wendy,
>
> Makes sense. It (the butter) will be in a plastic state. It
> doesn't have to be homogeneously mixed in, just stirred well,
> as it will meld when it hits the hot pan.
>
> Thank you!
>
> -T

As Julia Childs recommended in making pate brisé, "you have to get your
hands into it".