Old 03-08-2013, 03:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Zukes!

On 08/01/2013 10:20 AM, DonOpple0paad wrote:
On Sun, 28 Jul 2013 22:15:19 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 07/28/2013 10:02 PM, Billy wrote:

Squash bugs:

Put a bird feeder in your garden. Take a hand full or 2 of black oil
sunflower seeds, and toss them at your squash plant. The birds will take
care of the exposed bugs.

Hi Billy,

Thank you!

1) the little buzzards like it under the squash. I
have to lift them to find them. Do the birds know
they are there? How do they get at them?

2) how often should I throw seeds out? On my way to
work in the morning?

3) in shell or out of shell? Unsalted, I presume.

-T

Go to the store and by the black oil sunflower seeds from the bird
food section. Not the sunflower seed we buy for human consumption.

Hi Don,

I thought that "black oil" was some kind of trade name. Thanks
for straightening me out.

When I asked the local CSA farm about it, she had one last bag
a squirrel had gotten into that she sold me for 50% off. Maybe
10% of the bag had leaked out.

And, I have noticed that this years type of zucchini (Costa Romaneco)
that the fruit doesn't lay on the ground. Just the end hits the
ground. Easy for the birds to get underneath.

Question: how often do you throw out seeds and how much? Just
a hand full?

Many thanks,
-T