Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Turnip greens

Hi All,

Got me a forest of Golden Globe Turnips growing in
the garden:

http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/

Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
"yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
livestock come from.

Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Got me a forest of Golden Globe Turnips growing in
> the garden:
>
> http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/
>
> Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
> Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
> "yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
> looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
> all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
> livestock come from.
>
> Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
> Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
> way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

I'm growing turnips, too, so I may experiment soon. However, I do
remember turnip greens having a spicy or peppery taste.

I have eaten pickled turnip greens cooked with pork in Chinese dishes.
I think one could "fresh pickle" them by washing then, drying them well,
then layering them in a bowl with white vinegar, covering the dish, and
leaving the in the fridge for a couple of days. Then they could be
taken out, rinsed off, cut into pieces, and stir-fried with some nice
fatty pastured wild pork. I'd also add some garlic and soy sauce to the
dish.

I'll try this and tell you how it turns out. I am very fond of "pork
with sour vegetable" when I get it in Chinese restaurants, although they
often put too much sweetener in the sauce for my taste.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/18/2013 12:51 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Got me a forest of Golden Globe Turnips growing in
>> the garden:
>>
>> http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/
>>
>> Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
>> Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
>> "yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
>> looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
>> all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
>> livestock come from.
>>
>> Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
>> Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
>> way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> I'm growing turnips, too, so I may experiment soon. However, I do
> remember turnip greens having a spicy or peppery taste.
>
> I have eaten pickled turnip greens cooked with pork in Chinese dishes.
> I think one could "fresh pickle" them by washing then, drying them well,
> then layering them in a bowl with white vinegar, covering the dish, and
> leaving the in the fridge for a couple of days. Then they could be
> taken out, rinsed off, cut into pieces, and stir-fried with some nice
> fatty pastured wild pork. I'd also add some garlic and soy sauce to the
> dish.
>
> I'll try this and tell you how it turns out. I am very fond of "pork
> with sour vegetable" when I get it in Chinese restaurants, although they
> often put too much sweetener in the sauce for my taste.
>
> PP

Hi Peppermint,

Got a month or so more before the bulbs get full size. The
Golden Globes are "suppose" (note weasel word) to taste more
like potatoes and less like stale radishes. The greens I
tasted made my eyes water and had a nasty aftertaste. I am
thinking of just drying them and plowing them under.

I wonder if the pungent oils in the leave keep bugs away?

I love to look at all the green flora in my garden. I may
have 5 zukes by Sunday! Olive oil, oregano, fresh zukes
from the garden harvested minutes before cooking. YUM!
Have to watch how many I eat as I could eat all five!

None of my girl flowers failed (that is a sad sight when
they do). Haven't seen any bees doing there thing, but
stealth bees is good bees too.

I am looking forward to your feedback!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Got me a forest of Golden Globe Turnips growing in
> the garden:
>
> http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/
>
> Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
> Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
> "yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
> looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
> all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
> livestock come from.
>
> Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
> Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
> way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)
>
> Many thanks,

I like all kinds of greens. You gotta cook 'em down quite a bit to get the
bitteerness out.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
>
> > Hi All,
> >
> > Got me a forest of Golden Globe Turnips growing in
> > the garden:
> >
> > http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/
> >
> > Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
> > Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
> > "yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
> > looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
> > all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
> > livestock come from.
> >
> > Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
> > Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
> > way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > -T

> I'm growing turnips, too, so I may experiment soon. However, I do
> remember turnip greens having a spicy or peppery taste.
>
> I have eaten pickled turnip greens cooked with pork in Chinese dishes.
> I think one could "fresh pickle" them by washing then, drying them well,
> then layering them in a bowl with white vinegar, covering the dish, and
> leaving the in the fridge for a couple of days. Then they could be
> taken out, rinsed off, cut into pieces, and stir-fried with some nice
> fatty pastured wild pork. I'd also add some garlic and soy sauce to the
> dish.
>
> I'll try this and tell you how it turns out. I am very fond of "pork
> with sour vegetable" when I get it in Chinese restaurants, although they
> often put too much sweetener in the sauce for my taste.

Thanks for reminding me, PP. My Thai wife uses a lot of greens in her
cooking, too.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cramer View Post
Todd lid wrote:
Hi All,

Got me a forest of Golden Globe Turnips growing in
the garden:

turnip, golden globe | Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co

Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
"yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
livestock come from.

Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)

Many thanks,

I like all kinds of greens. You gotta cook 'em down quite a bit to get the
bitteerness out.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
Special Operations Warrior Foundation Help for Heroes - UK Military Charity ~Semper Fi~
Wounded Warriors: Home Home - Legacy ~Semper Fi~
Dittos on the cooking part. Turnip greens are wonderful when cooked right. For eating raw try mustard greens. They are also good cooked too but really shine in a salad.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/20/2013 09:57 AM, bigwheel wrote:
> Nick Cramer;1850346 Wrote:
>> Todd lid wrote:-
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Got me a forest of Golden Globe Turnips growing in
>> the garden:
>>
>> 'turnip, golden globe | Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co'
>> (
http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/)

>> Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
>> Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
>> "yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
>> looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
>> all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
>> livestock come from.
>>
>> Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
>> Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
>> way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)
>>
>> Many thanks,-
>>
>> I like all kinds of greens. You gotta cook 'em down quite a bit to get
>> the
>> bitteerness out.
>>
>> --
>> Nick, KI6VAV. Support severely wounded and disabled Veterans and their
>> families: https://semperfifund.org
>> https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
>> 'Special Operations Warrior Foundation' (http://www.specialops.org/)
>> 'Help for Heroes - UK Military Charity'
>> (http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/) ~Semper Fi~
>> 'Wounded Warriors: Home' (http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/) 'Home -
>> Legacy' (http://www.legacy.com.au/) ~Semper Fi~

> Dittos on the cooking part. Turnip greens are wonderful when cooked
> right. For eating raw try mustard greens. They are also good cooked too
> but really shine in a salad.

Hi Nick and Big,

The one green I tried from my garden -- a young one about
the size of a radish top -- was so acrid that it made my
eyes water. I stuck my mouth under a hose for about five
minutes and it still had an aftertaste. It was the gift
that keeps on giving!

So, does cooking them down meal till they are soggy? And
are they still NASTY?

And, do they stink up the house when they are cooking?

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
> On 07/20/2013 09:57 AM, bigwheel wrote:
> > Nick Cramer;1850346 Wrote:
> >> Todd lid wrote:-
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Got me a forest of Golden Globe Turnips growing in
> >> the garden:
> >>
> >> 'turnip, golden globe | Baker Creek Heirloom Seed Co'
> >> (
http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/)

> >> Tried eating one of the leaves a week ago. Hmmmm.
> >> Interesting tastes. My best friend declared them
> >> "yucky". (She turned a few colors. I thought she
> >> looked cute, but she protested). I can see where
> >> all the remarks about feeding turnips greens to
> >> livestock come from.
> >>
> >> Is there some way to clean turnip greens up?
> >> Some seasoning or spice? Or is nasty just the
> >> way they come? (I am going to have a lot of them.)
> >>
> >> Many thanks,-
> >>
> >> I like all kinds of greens. You gotta cook 'em down quite a bit to get
> >> the
> >> bitteerness out.

> > Dittos on the cooking part. Turnip greens are wonderful when cooked
> > right. For eating raw try mustard greens. They are also good cooked too
> > but really shine in a salad.

Yep. Mustard greens are real good. So are collards and dandelion (red
dandelion esspecially).

> Hi Nick and Big,
>
> The one green I tried from my garden -- a young one about
> the size of a radish top -- was so acrid that it made my
> eyes water. I stuck my mouth under a hose for about five
> minutes and it still had an aftertaste. It was the gift
> that keeps on giving!
>
> So, does cooking them down meal till they are soggy? And
> are they still NASTY?

Haven't experienced the nasty acridity of which you speak. Some folks cook
'em down 'til they're mush. Like with cooking down spinach, I like to still
have a little texture and taste.

> And, do they stink up the house when they are cooking?

Not that we've noticed. ;-)

> Many thanks,
> -T

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Nick Cramer;1850346 Wrote:
Todd lid wrote:-
[...]

'Special Operations Warrior Foundation' (Special Operations Warrior Foundation)
'Help for Heroes - UK Military Charity'
(Help for Heroes - UK Military Charity) ~Semper Fi~
'Wounded Warriors: Home' (Wounded Warriors: Home) 'Home -
Legacy' (Home - Legacy) ~Semper Fi~

Dittos on the cooking part. Turnip greens are wonderful when cooked
right. For eating raw try mustard greens. They are also good cooked too
but really shine in a salad.

Hi Nick and Big,

The one green I tried from my garden -- a young one about
the size of a radish top -- was so acrid that it made my
eyes water. I stuck my mouth under a hose for about five
minutes and it still had an aftertaste. It was the gift
that keeps on giving!

So, does cooking them down meal till they are soggy? And
are they still NASTY?

And, do they stink up the house when they are cooking?

Many thanks,
-T
Makes the house smell real good. Try this recipe. Very similar to how Granny done it.
Leon O'Neal's Turnip Greens Recipe at Epicurious.com
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> Todd > wrote:

http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/)

> > > Dittos on the cooking part. Turnip greens are wonderful when cooked
> > > right. For eating raw try mustard greens. They are also good cooked too
> > > but really shine in a salad.

> Yep. Mustard greens are real good. So are collards and dandelion (red
> dandelion esspecially).
>
> > Hi Nick and Big,
> >
> > The one green I tried from my garden -- a young one about
> > the size of a radish top -- was so acrid that it made my
> > eyes water. I stuck my mouth under a hose for about five
> > minutes and it still had an aftertaste. It was the gift
> > that keeps on giving!
> >
> > So, does cooking them down meal till they are soggy? And
> > are they still NASTY?

> Haven't experienced the nasty acridity of which you speak. Some folks cook
> 'em down 'til they're mush. Like with cooking down spinach, I like to still
> have a little texture and taste.
>
> > And, do they stink up the house when they are cooking?

> Not that we've noticed. ;-)
>
> > Many thanks,
> > -T

Our favorite is beet greens (similar to Swiss chard), and the whole
plant is edible. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, sliced garlic
to taste, and saute for a couple of minutes, and then add beet greens
(or greens of choice), and stir until they wilt. I serve with
vinaigrette (parmesan cheese is optional).
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy > wrote:

: Our favorite is beet greens (similar to Swiss chard), and the whole
: plant is edible. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, sliced garlic
: to taste, and saute for a couple of minutes, and then add beet greens
: (or greens of choice), and stir until they wilt. I serve with
: vinaigrette (parmesan cheese is optional).

This method works well for many greens including spinach and swiss chard,
I used to hate Swiss chard because people would serve it very over boiled
so it didn't tste like much. when I tried it this way, I found it
delightful. I do cut the stems into quite short pieces and put them in
the bottom of the pan with the leaves on top as they take a bit more heat
and time to cook.

I am still workingt o master kale, ut have made it in the same way.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/21/2013 11:21 AM, Billy wrote:
> In article >,
> Nick Cramer > wrote:
>
>> Todd > wrote:

http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/)

>> Yep. Mustard greens are real good. So are collards and dandelion (red
>> dandelion esspecially).
>>
>>> Hi Nick and Big,
>>>
>>> The one green I tried from my garden -- a young one about
>>> the size of a radish top -- was so acrid that it made my
>>> eyes water. I stuck my mouth under a hose for about five
>>> minutes and it still had an aftertaste. It was the gift
>>> that keeps on giving!
>>>
>>> So, does cooking them down meal till they are soggy? And
>>> are they still NASTY?

>> Haven't experienced the nasty acridity of which you speak. Some folks cook
>> 'em down 'til they're mush. Like with cooking down spinach, I like to still
>> have a little texture and taste.
>>
>>> And, do they stink up the house when they are cooking?

>> Not that we've noticed. ;-)
>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

> Our favorite is beet greens (similar to Swiss chard), and the whole
> plant is edible. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, sliced garlic
> to taste, and saute for a couple of minutes, and then add beet greens
> (or greens of choice), and stir until they wilt. I serve with
> vinaigrette (parmesan cheese is optional).

Hi Nick, Billy, and Big,

Thank you for the feed back. I am wondering if maybe since these
are not standard turnips (they are Golder Globe) and regular
purple turnips taste like stale radishes, that maybe my
greens are more pungent. I hope the bulbs come out okay.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 07/21/2013 11:21 AM, Billy wrote:
>> In article >,
>> Nick Cramer > wrote:

http://www.rareseeds.com/golden-globe/)

>>> Yep. Mustard greens are real good. So are collards and dandelion (red
>>> dandelion esspecially).

>>> Haven't experienced the nasty acridity of which you speak. Some folks
>>> cook
>>> 'em down 'til they're mush. Like with cooking down spinach, I like to
>>> still
>>> have a little texture and taste.

>>> Not that we've noticed. ;-)

>> Our favorite is beet greens (similar to Swiss chard), and the whole
>> plant is edible. Add a couple of tablespoons of olive oil, sliced garlic
>> to taste, and saute for a couple of minutes, and then add beet greens
>> (or greens of choice), and stir until they wilt. I serve with
>> vinaigrette (parmesan cheese is optional).
>>

> Hi Nick, Billy, and Big,
>
> Thank you for the feed back. I am wondering if maybe since these
> are not standard turnips (they are Golder Globe) and regular
> purple turnips taste like stale radishes, that maybe my
> greens are more pungent. I hope the bulbs come out okay.
>
> -T

What? Purple turnips don't taste like stale radishes! I love raw turnips.
Don't like them cooked. But then I don't like a lot of vegetables when
cooked. The taste changes and not always for the better.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Todd" > wrote in message
: > Hi Nick, Billy, and Big,
: >
: > Thank you for the feed back. I am wondering if maybe since these
: > are not standard turnips (they are Golder Globe) and regular
: > purple turnips taste like stale radishes, that maybe my
: > greens are more pungent. I hope the bulbs come out okay.
: >
: > -T

: What? Purple turnips don't taste like stale radishes! I love raw turnips.
: Don't like them cooked. But then I don't like a lot of vegetables when
: cooked. The taste changes and not always for the better.

I use them peeled in stews in place of potatoesand they , certainly don't
taste lik stale or any other kinds of radishes. I have heard of usign
them mashed withpotatoes to reduce the carb density, but have never tried
them that way.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/21/2013 03:34 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Todd" > wrote in message
> : > Hi Nick, Billy, and Big,
> : >
> : > Thank you for the feed back. I am wondering if maybe since these
> : > are not standard turnips (they are Golder Globe) and regular
> : > purple turnips taste like stale radishes, that maybe my
> : > greens are more pungent. I hope the bulbs come out okay.
> : >
> : > -T
>
> : What? Purple turnips don't taste like stale radishes! I love raw turnips.
> : Don't like them cooked. But then I don't like a lot of vegetables when
> : cooked. The taste changes and not always for the better.
>

> I use them peeled in stews in place of potatoesand they , certainly don't
> taste lik stale or any other kinds of radishes. I have heard of usign
> them mashed withpotatoes to reduce the carb density, but have never tried
> them that way.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

How fresh were yours? The "Bland" taste may be how old mine were
by the time I cooked them (store bought).

Also, what was the diameter of your? ("Supposedly", little ones
taste better.)

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Todd" > wrote in message
> : > Hi Nick, Billy, and Big,
> : >
> : > Thank you for the feed back. I am wondering if maybe since these
> : > are not standard turnips (they are Golder Globe) and regular
> : > purple turnips taste like stale radishes, that maybe my
> : > greens are more pungent. I hope the bulbs come out okay.
> : >
> : > -T
>
> : What? Purple turnips don't taste like stale radishes! I love raw
> turnips.
> : Don't like them cooked. But then I don't like a lot of vegetables when
> : cooked. The taste changes and not always for the better.
>

> I use them peeled in stews in place of potatoesand they , certainly don't
> taste lik stale or any other kinds of radishes. I have heard of usign
> them mashed withpotatoes to reduce the carb density, but have never tried
> them that way.

I may possibly have had them in a soup and didn't know it. But my mom once
served them mashed. I took a huge helping, thinking they were potatoes.
Not good! We always grew them in our garden as did my grandpa and we always
just cut them into sticks for eating raw. During the summer months we
always had a raw veggie plate on the table with dinner.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Got a month or so more before the bulbs get full size. The
> Golden Globes are "suppose" (note weasel word) to taste more
> like potatoes and less like stale radishes. The greens I
> tasted made my eyes water and had a nasty aftertaste. I am
> thinking of just drying them and plowing them under.
>
> I wonder if the pungent oils in the leave keep bugs away?

My local woodchuck leaves my turnip greens alone, but I suspect that's
because he doesn't have a kitchen in his burrow.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/26/2013 12:21 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> Got a month or so more before the bulbs get full size. The
>> Golden Globes are "suppose" (note weasel word) to taste more
>> like potatoes and less like stale radishes. The greens I
>> tasted made my eyes water and had a nasty aftertaste. I am
>> thinking of just drying them and plowing them under.
>>
>> I wonder if the pungent oils in the leave keep bugs away?

> My local woodchuck leaves my turnip greens alone, but I suspect that's
> because he doesn't have a kitchen in his burrow.
>
> PP

Hi Peppermint,

Funny. One of the plants has had his leaves attacked
mercilessly: riddled with holes. All the rest of them
are perfect.

I can see the bulbs under several of them. Won't
be long now!

-T