Old 22-07-2013, 03:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Turnip greens

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "Todd" wrote in message
: Hi Nick, Billy, and Big,
:
: Thank you for the feed back. I am wondering if maybe since these
: are not standard turnips (they are Golder Globe) and regular
: purple turnips taste like stale radishes, that maybe my
: greens are more pungent. I hope the bulbs come out okay.
:
: -T

: What? Purple turnips don't taste like stale radishes! I love raw
turnips.
: Don't like them cooked. But then I don't like a lot of vegetables when
: cooked. The taste changes and not always for the better.

I use them peeled in stews in place of potatoesand they , certainly don't
taste lik stale or any other kinds of radishes. I have heard of usign
them mashed withpotatoes to reduce the carb density, but have never tried
them that way.

I may possibly have had them in a soup and didn't know it. But my mom once
served them mashed. I took a huge helping, thinking they were potatoes.
Not good! We always grew them in our garden as did my grandpa and we always
just cut them into sticks for eating raw. During the summer months we
always had a raw veggie plate on the table with dinner.

Old 26-07-2013, 08:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

Got a month or so more before the bulbs get full size. The
Golden Globes are "suppose" (note weasel word) to taste more
like potatoes and less like stale radishes. The greens I
tasted made my eyes water and had a nasty aftertaste. I am
thinking of just drying them and plowing them under.

I wonder if the pungent oils in the leave keep bugs away?

My local woodchuck leaves my turnip greens alone, but I suspect that's
because he doesn't have a kitchen in his burrow.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Old 26-07-2013, 08:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/26/2013 12:21 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

Got a month or so more before the bulbs get full size. The
Golden Globes are "suppose" (note weasel word) to taste more
like potatoes and less like stale radishes. The greens I
tasted made my eyes water and had a nasty aftertaste. I am
thinking of just drying them and plowing them under.

I wonder if the pungent oils in the leave keep bugs away?

My local woodchuck leaves my turnip greens alone, but I suspect that's
because he doesn't have a kitchen in his burrow.

PP

Hi Peppermint,

Funny. One of the plants has had his leaves attacked
mercilessly: riddled with holes. All the rest of them
are perfect.

I can see the bulbs under several of them. Won't
be long now!

-T