Old 16-07-2013, 05:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Nopales and pennies?

"bigwheel" wrote in message

Todd;1848910 Wrote:
On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
Best way to thicken up thin
juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au
naturale
and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
thicken them up-

That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
returning them to the pot.

How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
beans?

'Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beans, pinto, mature seeds, canned'
(http://tinyurl.com/kgav9n3)

1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.

-T

Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have
a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try
eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock
them mean old carbs right in the head.

I eat beans almost daily. But the combining with another starch is no
longer what is thought to be true. So long as another grain was eaten in
that day, it's all good.

I don't think anyone here could eat them with cornbread. I don't low carb
and I couldn't! As breads go, cornbread is very high in carbs. A serving
for a diabetic is a 1" square. That's 15g of carbs. I don't think too many
diabetics would bother with that.

Old 16-07-2013, 05:21 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

bigwheel wrote:

: Todd;1848910 Wrote:

: Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have
: a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
: once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
: them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
: offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try
: eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock
: them mean old carbs right in the head.

rice an beans also make a compete protein, but they are just not indicated
for diabetics as the carb content is very high, too high to be used as a
major part of a meal. As has been mentioned, a few sprinkled on a salad
or in a soup are Ok, but as a full portion beans are a problem for
diabetics. For non-diabetics like you, they are a good food, just not for
us diabetics here.
: --
: bigwheel
Wendy
Old 16-07-2013, 05:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
bigwheel wrote:

: Todd;1848910 Wrote:

: Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have
: a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
: once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
: them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
: offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try
: eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock
: them mean old carbs right in the head.

rice an beans also make a compete protein, but they are just not indicated
for diabetics as the carb content is very high, too high to be used as a
major part of a meal. As has been mentioned, a few sprinkled on a salad
or in a soup are Ok, but as a full portion beans are a problem for
diabetics. For non-diabetics like you, they are a good food, just not for
us diabetics here.

You really can't paint with a broad brush. I eat not one portion of beans
but sometimes three. But I rarely eat beans and rice. I did have some last
night but it was Spanish rice that I made by adding lots of ground beef and
vegetables. I did not have a full portion leftover so I added some red
beans to it. But to eat just plain beans and rice? Not likely.

Old 16-07-2013, 06:09 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: bigwheel wrote:
:
: : Todd;1848910 Wrote:
:
[...]

MOST diabetic have difficulty with beans. I use small amounts of black
soybeans which are so fibrous that the actual carb content is very low,
but it can easily cause gastric distress in a big way! You , with your
intoerances and , as you , yurself, termed it, picky eating tendencies are
much more limited in what you can or desire to eat and your diabetes also
seems to respond quite differently than that of most of the type 2s here.

i woud hate to see a ston of bean recipes presented here as beign "good
for diabetics." there are a few, like you, who both have few other foods
you like or can eat and who really love beans. Most of us have to severly
limit our bean intake or we run the risk of high bgs, which we try to
avoid, as do you, even if you don't have a handle on it for whatever
reason, certainly not for want of trying.

Wendy

Old 16-07-2013, 10:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

In article , Todd

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4313/2

1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.

Eat less than 1/3 cup.

Hi Alice,

I could lay all 15 of them out on a plate and eat
them really, really, really s-l-o-w. Maybe a Kleenex to
wipe up my tears, so I could actually see them.
Just teasing! I think I am funny. I only cry when I
hurt myself. (Not an admission that I cry.)

Seriously. I like beans, a lot. I put about 1/2 cup of beans in a big
pot of soup, different kinds of beans for different soup. If I have
extras (I just had to buy a can of black beans for a recipe, because I
didn't have any dried on hand), I'll put a spoonful on salad. I just
don't ever have anything where beans are the dominant ingredient.

Now that makes sense. Use them as a seasoning is quantities so
small as to not throw off the carb count. Like the way I use turnips
in my broccoli cheese soup.

This thread got me going. I made a black bean, corn, & tomato salad,
with local farmstand corn and tomatoes. The whole recipe used 1/2 can of
black beans, 1 ear of corn, 1.5 small tomatoes (and a little onion,
cilantro, garlic, and lemon juice). This made a total of 3.5 or 4 cups,
and the serving I had for dinner last night was probably 3/4 cup (or
less, I had it in a little pyrex dessert bowl).

I didn't figure the carb content, but did test my bg. Before dinner, I
was at 72mg/dl; at both 1 & 2 hours post, I was at 100mg/dl. (The rest
of dinner was a hamburger with ketchup but no bun.) YMMV but my mileage
is glad there's a bunch more of this salad in the fridge.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Old 17-07-2013, 12:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: bigwheel wrote:
:
: : Todd;1848910 Wrote:
:
[...]

From everything I have heard and read, beans are recommended for diabetics
because they are high in fiber. My BG was in normal range for all of
yesterday. Was high but not super high at breakfast but most likely because
I was up for 4 hours prior to eating. I just didn't want to eat when I got
up because I got up earlier than usual and if I eat three meals that's just
too much for my stomach to handle.

Old 17-07-2013, 12:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
In article , Todd
wrote:

[...]

I have made similar. No garlic and I use raw corn and lots of onion. Never
spikes me but I eat this as a meal with nothing along with it. I tend to
use more beans than corn.

Old 17-07-2013, 10:00 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/16/2013 02:19 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

[...]

!Ah caramba! I'd lose a foot! How many years were your
reading this low before you could get away with the above?

I get a stressful, zero carbohydrate call from a customer
and my BG jumps up 20 to 25 points. No food involved!
I want your numbers!

Do you use insulin?

-T

What? No pennies in your salad?
Old 17-07-2013, 10:05 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/15/2013 02:05 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Todd;1848910 Wrote:
[...]

Hi Bigwheel,

What type of Diabetic are you and are you using insulin?
What is your max carb per meal and per day? Inquiring mind
want to know!

Have you measured yourself before and after a bean meal?
Inquiring minds want to know that too!

-T

Old 17-07-2013, 10:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

Nope, no meds at all. I was diagnosed in 1998, reduced my carbs, lost
some weight.

Old 17-07-2013, 11:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/17/2013 02:34 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Hi ALice,

Fantastic!

That is my goal too. How many years did it take you
to get to the steady numbers?

Got my Met down to 500 mg twice a day (the smallest
dosage). And bought a pill cutter to go down further.
probably will start that next month. Right now
I am sitting at about 115 rolling out of bed. Go
up to about 125-130, then down to 100 during the day.
It has more to do with the time of day and not what I eat
as I am very, very strict on my carb count.

I lost all my weight before I got diagnosed (October).
Now I am steady since then.

Laughing seems to make my numbers go down; stress seems
to make them go up.

-T
Old 17-07-2013, 11:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't say they're steady, but my fasting is generally in the 70-95
range (but not always). Strangely, reducing bg also reduces insulin
resistance.

Old 18-07-2013, 12:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/17/2013 03:49 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

wrote:

[...]

You are killing me here! How many years did it take you to
get there?

-T
Old 18-07-2013, 12:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...products/4313/
2

[...]

Honestly, I have no idea.

Old 18-07-2013, 12:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/17/2013 04:31 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Rats! :-)

Chile verde with nopales ~ Mexican Cooking 1 23-06-2008 04:18 PM
Nopales percy Diabetic 3 27-08-2007 12:26 AM
Copper Pennies Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 03-01-2006 07:40 PM
Nopales - cactus paddles Shelora Mexican Cooking 1 15-04-2004 10:53 AM