FoodBanter.com

-   -   Nopales and pennies? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/424861-nopales-pennies.html)

Todd 13-07-2013 05:12 AM

Nopales and pennies?

Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T

bigwheel 13-07-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd (Post 1848610)
Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
How to Eat Prickly Pear Cactus: 9 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T

Never heard about that but they swear Road Runner soup will cure boils..so who knows? I have seen the guest workers picking the stuff on the side of the road a bunch of times. They claim its snotty like okry. Person could maybe deslime it in a dry skillet as is the custom of cajuns. Now the red apples aint too bad for a sweet treat..but can give a lip full of little thorns if a person aint careful. Thats why the donkeys who eat prickly pears keeps their lips peeled back since they are full of thorns. They call it looking like a Jackass eating cactus. Can also be used to clown around with people who get oversized false teeth. George Washington for example.

Billy[_8_] 14-07-2013 07:10 AM

Nopales and pennies?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
> (Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
> out sour and slimy.
>
> I found this remark over on
> http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus
>
> Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
> "veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
> make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.
>
> A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.
>
> Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
> thing?
>
> Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
> T2's)?
>
> Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
> sounds like what I am after.
>
> From my research, what I am finding is that I should
> boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
> water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the beans.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Todd 14-07-2013 07:41 AM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/13/2013 11:10 PM, Billy wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
>> (Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
>> out sour and slimy.
>>
>> I found this remark over on
>> http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus
>>
>> Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
>> "veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
>> make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.
>>
>> A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.
>>
>> Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
>> thing?
>>
>> Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
>> T2's)?
>>
>> Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
>> sounds like what I am after.
>>
>> From my research, what I am finding is that I should
>> boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
>> water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the beans.

Hi Billy,

I was told to crack some eggs over them and scramble them up.

Beans are way to high carb for me. Rats!

Are you T1 or T2?

Thank you for the tip!

-T

Billy[_8_] 14-07-2013 06:56 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/13/2013 11:10 PM, Billy wrote:
> > In article >, Todd >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
> >> (Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
> >> out sour and slimy.
> >>
> >> I found this remark over on
> >> http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus
> >>
> >> Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
> >> "veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
> >> make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.
> >>
> >> A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.
> >>
> >> Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
> >> thing?
> >>
> >> Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
> >> T2's)?
> >>
> >> Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
> >> sounds like what I am after.
> >>
> >> From my research, what I am finding is that I should
> >> boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
> >> water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.
> >>
> >> Many thanks,
> >> -T

> > I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the beans.
> >

> Hi Billy,
>
> I was told to crack some eggs over them and scramble them up.
>
> Beans are way to high carb for me. Rats!
>
> Are you T1 or T2?
>
> Thank you for the tip!
>
> -T

T2
--
Palestinian Child Detained
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzSzH38jYcg>

Janet Wilder[_1_] 14-07-2013 07:17 PM

Nopales and pennies?

On 7/14/2013 1:41 AM, Todd wrote:
> On 07/13/2013 11:10 PM, Billy wrote:
>> In article >, Todd >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
>>> (Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
>>> out sour and slimy.
>>>
>>> I found this remark over on
>>> http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus
>>>
>>> Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
>>> "veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
>>> make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.
>>>
>>> A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.
>>>
>>> Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
>>> thing?
>>>
>>> Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
>>> T2's)?
>>>
>>> Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
>>> sounds like what I am after.
>>>
>>> From my research, what I am finding is that I should
>>> boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
>>> water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the beans.
>>

> Hi Billy,
>
> I was told to crack some eggs over them and scramble them up.
>
> Beans are way to high carb for me. Rats!
>
> Are you T1 or T2?
>
> Thank you for the tip!
>
> -T

That's how the locals eat them here. Mixed in with scrambled eggs,

As for beans, they are high in fiber and many endos recommend them as
there seems to be an enzyme in beans that is beneficial to diabetics.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

bigwheel 14-07-2013 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy[_8_] (Post 1848647)
In article , Todd lid
wrote:

Hi All,

I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
(Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
out sour and slimy.

I found this remark over on
How to Eat Prickly Pear Cactus: 9 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow

Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
"veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.

A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.

Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
thing?

Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
T2's)?

Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
sounds like what I am after.

From my research, what I am finding is that I should
boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.

Many thanks,
-T

I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the beans.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
Rachel Corrie Memorial Website

Welcome to the New America.
Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism - YouTube

I would advise forgetting that nonsense. Best way to thicken up thin juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to thicken them up. Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with scrambled eggs. Muy bien.

Todd 15-07-2013 04:47 AM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable
> to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with
> scrambled eggs. Muy bien.

Hi Guys,

Spoke to a coin dealer about a 20 cent Mexican coin.
He said he would not use one for cooking as they
were pretty GROSS by the time he got them. He went on to
tell me that U.S. pennies on or before 1981 were copper.

So, I found a 1980 U.S. penny, washed it up and then
scrubbed it with lemon juice to pretty it up. Then I
cooked it for 10 minutes with my Nopales ("snotty
cactus", still snickering) -- in my pressure cooker
on high (autoclaved the stinker) with a lot of salt.

And, guess what? NO SNOT! The darned thing worked!
You learn something new every day. Not sour either.
Taste like green beans. Tried them with scrambled
eggs -- the jury is still out.

Thank you all for the tips, especially the one about
U.S. pennies not being made out of copper any more.
You guys are a blessing.

-T

I remember my previous attempts, trying to spoon some
out of a bowl to my plate and having a long string
follow my spoon. EEEWWWWW!!!

Todd 15-07-2013 04:58 AM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Best way to thicken up thin
> juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
> return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
> little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
> and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
> real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
> thicken them up

That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
returning them to the pot.

How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
beans?

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4313/2

1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.

-T

Alice Faber 15-07-2013 03:27 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> > Best way to thicken up thin
> > juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
> > return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
> > little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
> > and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
> > real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
> > thicken them up

> That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
> returning them to the pot.
>
> How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
> beans?
>
> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4313/2
>
> 1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
> my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.

Eat less than 1/3 cup.

Seriously. I like beans, a lot. I put about 1/2 cup of beans in a big
pot of soup, different kinds of beans for different soup. If I have
extras (I just had to buy a can of black beans for a recipe, because I
didn't have any dried on hand), I'll put a spoonful on salad. I just
don't ever have anything where beans are the dominant ingredient.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

W. Baker 15-07-2013 03:29 PM

Nopales and pennies?

bigwheel > wrote:

: 'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
: > ;1848647']In article , Todd
: > lid
: > wrote:
: > -
: > Hi All,
: >
[...]
: > --
: > Remember Rachel Corrie
: > 'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (http://www.rachelcorrie.org/)
: >
: > YouTube' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg)

: I would advise forgetting that nonsense. Best way to thicken up thin
: juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
: return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
: little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
: and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
: real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
: thicken them up. Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable
: to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with
: scrambled eggs. Muy bien.
: bigwheel

Remember, this is a diabetic food list where we aren't looking for ways to
add extra carbs and starch to our foods,

Wendy

Billy[_8_] 15-07-2013 07:01 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article >,
bigwheel > wrote:

> 'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
> > ;1848647']In article , Todd
> > lid
> > wrote:
> > -
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have been reading up on how to prepare Nopolas
> > (Prickly Pear). What I have come up with comes
> > out sour and slimy.
> >
> > I found this remark over on
> > 'How to Eat Prickly Pear Cactus: 9 Steps (with Pictures) -
> > wikiHow' (
http://www.wikihow.com/Eat-Prickly-Pear-Cactus)

> > Boiling them with a copper coin (an old Mexican
> > "veinte") is a common remedy to thin the sap and
> > make it more palatable to unaccustomed diners.
> >
> > A "veinte" in this context is a copper Mexican coin.
> >
> > Toss in a penny? Have you guys ever heard of such a
> > thing?
> >
> > Any counter indications for NIDDM's (non insulin
> > T2's)?
> >
> > Any opinions? Thinning the sap, or slimy stuff,
> > sounds like what I am after.
> >
> > From my research, what I am finding is that I should
> > boil my nopalitos (cut up Nopales) in heavily salted
> > water, drain and repeat. Then add them to what I want.
> >
> > Many thanks,
> > -T-
> >
> > I was advised to use nopales when cooking beans. They thicken the
> > beans.
> > --
> > Remember Rachel Corrie
> > 'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (http://www.rachelcorrie.org/)
> >
> > Welcome to the New America.
> > 'Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism -
> > YouTube' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg)

> I would advise forgetting that nonsense. Best way to thicken up thin
> juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
> return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
> little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
> and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
> real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
> thicken them up. Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable
> to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with
> scrambled eggs. Muy bien.

Thanks for the advice. Personally, I'm just trying to insert more
variety into my diet. I've read that hunter/gatherers eat upwards of 75
different plants. At present, I probably only eat about 25. I'm just
trying to feed the animal what it needs.

Todd 15-07-2013 08:07 PM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/15/2013 07:27 AM, Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>>> Best way to thicken up thin
>>> juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
>>> return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
>>> little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
>>> and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
>>> real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
>>> thicken them up

>> That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
>> returning them to the pot.
>>
>> How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
>> beans?
>>
>> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4313/2
>>
>> 1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
>> my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.
>>

> Eat less than 1/3 cup.

Hi Alice,

I could lay all 15 of them out on a plate and eat
them really, really, really s-l-o-w. Maybe a Kleenex to
wipe up my tears, so I could actually see them.
Just teasing! I think I am funny. I only cry when I
hurt myself. (Not an admission that I cry.)

> Seriously. I like beans, a lot. I put about 1/2 cup of beans in a big
> pot of soup, different kinds of beans for different soup. If I have
> extras (I just had to buy a can of black beans for a recipe, because I
> didn't have any dried on hand), I'll put a spoonful on salad. I just
> don't ever have anything where beans are the dominant ingredient.

Now that makes sense. Use them as a seasoning is quantities so
small as to not throw off the carb count. Like the way I use turnips
in my broccoli cheese soup.

Thank you!

-T

bigwheel 15-07-2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd (Post 1848910)
On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Best way to thicken up thin
juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
thicken them up

That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
returning them to the pot.

How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
beans?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beans, pinto, mature seeds, canned

1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.

-T

Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock them mean old carbs right in the head.

bigwheel 15-07-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W. Baker (Post 1848987)
bigwheel wrote:

: 'Billy[_8_ Wrote:
: ;1848647']In article , Todd
:
lid
: wrote:
: -
: Hi All,
:
[...]
: --
: Remember Rachel Corrie
: 'Rachel Corrie Memorial Website' (Rachel Corrie Memorial Website)
:
: Welcome to the New America.
: 'Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism -
: YouTube' (Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism - YouTube)

: I would advise forgetting that nonsense. Best way to thicken up thin
: juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
: return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
: little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au naturale
: and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
: real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
: thicken them up. Anybody caught putting snotty cactus in beans if liable
: to get lynched. Like the person say..they eat em for breakfast with
: scrambled eggs. Muy bien.
: bigwheel

Remember, this is a diabetic food list where we aren't looking for ways to
add extra carbs and starch to our foods,

Wendy

Well not sure how trying to help a person thicken up a pot of watery beans could be labeled as being guilty of helping diabetics to add extra carbs and starch to their foods. That really takes a leap of the imagination. Do you work for the government by any chance? Thanks.

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-07-2013 05:41 AM

Nopales and pennies?

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> Todd;1848910 Wrote:
>> On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
>> Best way to thicken up thin
>> juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
>> return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
>> little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au
>> naturale
>> and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
>> real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
>> thicken them up-
>>

>> That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
>> returning them to the pot.
>>
>> How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
>> beans?
>>
>> 'Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beans, pinto, mature seeds, canned'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/kgav9n3)
>>
>> 1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
>> my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.
>>
>> -T

> Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have
> a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
> once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
> them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
> offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try
> eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock
> them mean old carbs right in the head.

I eat beans almost daily. But the combining with another starch is no
longer what is thought to be true. So long as another grain was eaten in
that day, it's all good.

I don't think anyone here could eat them with cornbread. I don't low carb
and I couldn't! As breads go, cornbread is very high in carbs. A serving
for a diabetic is a 1" square. That's 15g of carbs. I don't think too many
diabetics would bother with that.

W. Baker 16-07-2013 05:21 PM

Nopales and pennies?

bigwheel > wrote:

: Todd;1848910 Wrote:

: Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have
: a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
: once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
: them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
: offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try
: eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock
: them mean old carbs right in the head.

rice an beans also make a compete protein, but they are just not indicated
for diabetics as the carb content is very high, too high to be used as a
major part of a meal. As has been mentioned, a few sprinkled on a salad
or in a soup are Ok, but as a full portion beans are a problem for
diabetics. For non-diabetics like you, they are a good food, just not for
us diabetics here.
: --
: bigwheel
Wendy

Julie Bove[_2_] 16-07-2013 05:55 PM

Nopales and pennies?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> bigwheel > wrote:
>
> : Todd;1848910 Wrote:
>
> : Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have
> : a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
> : once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
> : them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
> : offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try
> : eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock
> : them mean old carbs right in the head.
>
> rice an beans also make a compete protein, but they are just not indicated
> for diabetics as the carb content is very high, too high to be used as a
> major part of a meal. As has been mentioned, a few sprinkled on a salad
> or in a soup are Ok, but as a full portion beans are a problem for
> diabetics. For non-diabetics like you, they are a good food, just not for
> us diabetics here.

You really can't paint with a broad brush. I eat not one portion of beans
but sometimes three. But I rarely eat beans and rice. I did have some last
night but it was Spanish rice that I made by adding lots of ground beef and
vegetables. I did not have a full portion leftover so I added some red
beans to it. But to eat just plain beans and rice? Not likely.

W. Baker 16-07-2013 06:09 PM

Nopales and pennies?

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "W. Baker" > wrote in message
: ...
: > bigwheel > wrote:
: >
: > : Todd;1848910 Wrote:
: >
[...]

MOST diabetic have difficulty with beans. I use small amounts of black
soybeans which are so fibrous that the actual carb content is very low,
but it can easily cause gastric distress in a big way! You , with your
intoerances and , as you , yurself, termed it, picky eating tendencies are
much more limited in what you can or desire to eat and your diabetes also
seems to respond quite differently than that of most of the type 2s here.

i woud hate to see a ston of bean recipes presented here as beign "good
for diabetics." there are a few, like you, who both have few other foods
you like or can eat and who really love beans. Most of us have to severly
limit our bean intake or we run the risk of high bgs, which we try to
avoid, as do you, even if you don't have a handle on it for whatever
reason, certainly not for want of trying.

Wendy

Alice Faber 16-07-2013 10:19 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/15/2013 07:27 AM, Alice Faber wrote:
> > In article >, Todd >
> >>
> >> How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
> >> beans?
> >>
> >> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4313/2
> >>
> >> 1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
> >> my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.
> >>

> > Eat less than 1/3 cup.

> Hi Alice,
>
> I could lay all 15 of them out on a plate and eat
> them really, really, really s-l-o-w. Maybe a Kleenex to
> wipe up my tears, so I could actually see them.
> Just teasing! I think I am funny. I only cry when I
> hurt myself. (Not an admission that I cry.)
>

> > Seriously. I like beans, a lot. I put about 1/2 cup of beans in a big
> > pot of soup, different kinds of beans for different soup. If I have
> > extras (I just had to buy a can of black beans for a recipe, because I
> > didn't have any dried on hand), I'll put a spoonful on salad. I just
> > don't ever have anything where beans are the dominant ingredient.

> Now that makes sense. Use them as a seasoning is quantities so
> small as to not throw off the carb count. Like the way I use turnips
> in my broccoli cheese soup.

This thread got me going. I made a black bean, corn, & tomato salad,
with local farmstand corn and tomatoes. The whole recipe used 1/2 can of
black beans, 1 ear of corn, 1.5 small tomatoes (and a little onion,
cilantro, garlic, and lemon juice). This made a total of 3.5 or 4 cups,
and the serving I had for dinner last night was probably 3/4 cup (or
less, I had it in a little pyrex dessert bowl).

I didn't figure the carb content, but did test my bg. Before dinner, I
was at 72mg/dl; at both 1 & 2 hours post, I was at 100mg/dl. (The rest
of dinner was a hamburger with ketchup but no bun.) YMMV but my mileage
is glad there's a bunch more of this salad in the fridge.

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-07-2013 12:16 AM

Nopales and pennies?

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "W. Baker" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : > bigwheel > wrote:
> : >
> : > : Todd;1848910 Wrote:
> : >
> : > : Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans
> have
> : > : a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
> : > : once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person
> eats
> : > : them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
> : > : offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources.
> Try
> : > : eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob
> knock
> : > : them mean old carbs right in the head.
> : >
> : > rice an beans also make a compete protein, but they are just not
> indicated
> : > for diabetics as the carb content is very high, too high to be used as
> : > major part of a meal. As has been mentioned, a few sprinkled on a
> salad
> : > or in a soup are Ok, but as a full portion beans are a problem for
> : > diabetics. For non-diabetics like you, they are a good food, just not
> for
> : > us diabetics here.
>
> : You really can't paint with a broad brush. I eat not one portion of
> beans
> : but sometimes three. But I rarely eat beans and rice. I did have some
> last
> : night but it was Spanish rice that I made by adding lots of ground beef
> and
> : vegetables. I did not have a full portion leftover so I added some red
> : beans to it. But to eat just plain beans and rice? Not likely.
> MOST diabetic have difficulty with beans. I use small amounts of black
> soybeans which are so fibrous that the actual carb content is very low,
> but it can easily cause gastric distress in a big way! You , with your
> intoerances and , as you , yurself, termed it, picky eating tendencies are
> much more limited in what you can or desire to eat and your diabetes also
> seems to respond quite differently than that of most of the type 2s here.
>
> i woud hate to see a ston of bean recipes presented here as beign "good
> for diabetics." there are a few, like you, who both have few other foods
> you like or can eat and who really love beans. Most of us have to severly
> limit our bean intake or we run the risk of high bgs, which we try to
> avoid, as do you, even if you don't have a handle on it for whatever
> reason, certainly not for want of trying.

From everything I have heard and read, beans are recommended for diabetics
because they are high in fiber. My BG was in normal range for all of
yesterday. Was high but not super high at breakfast but most likely because
I was up for 4 hours prior to eating. I just didn't want to eat when I got
up because I got up earlier than usual and if I eat three meals that's just
too much for my stomach to handle.

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-07-2013 12:17 AM

Nopales and pennies?

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/15/2013 07:27 AM, Alice Faber wrote:
>> > In article >, Todd >

>> > Eat less than 1/3 cup.

>> Hi Alice,
>>
>> I could lay all 15 of them out on a plate and eat
>> them really, really, really s-l-o-w. Maybe a Kleenex to
>> wipe up my tears, so I could actually see them.
>> Just teasing! I think I am funny. I only cry when I
>> hurt myself. (Not an admission that I cry.)
>>

>> > Seriously. I like beans, a lot. I put about 1/2 cup of beans in a big
>> > pot of soup, different kinds of beans for different soup. If I have
>> > extras (I just had to buy a can of black beans for a recipe, because I
>> > didn't have any dried on hand), I'll put a spoonful on salad. I just
>> > don't ever have anything where beans are the dominant ingredient.

>> Now that makes sense. Use them as a seasoning is quantities so
>> small as to not throw off the carb count. Like the way I use turnips
>> in my broccoli cheese soup.
>>

> This thread got me going. I made a black bean, corn, & tomato salad,
> with local farmstand corn and tomatoes. The whole recipe used 1/2 can of
> black beans, 1 ear of corn, 1.5 small tomatoes (and a little onion,
> cilantro, garlic, and lemon juice). This made a total of 3.5 or 4 cups,
> and the serving I had for dinner last night was probably 3/4 cup (or
> less, I had it in a little pyrex dessert bowl).
>
> I didn't figure the carb content, but did test my bg. Before dinner, I
> was at 72mg/dl; at both 1 & 2 hours post, I was at 100mg/dl. (The rest
> of dinner was a hamburger with ketchup but no bun.) YMMV but my mileage
> is glad there's a bunch more of this salad in the fridge.

I have made similar. No garlic and I use raw corn and lots of onion. Never
spikes me but I eat this as a meal with nothing along with it. I tend to
use more beans than corn.

Todd 17-07-2013 10:00 PM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/16/2013 02:19 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/15/2013 07:27 AM, Alice Faber wrote:
>>> In article >, Todd >

>>> Eat less than 1/3 cup.

>> Hi Alice,
>>
>> I could lay all 15 of them out on a plate and eat
>> them really, really, really s-l-o-w. Maybe a Kleenex to
>> wipe up my tears, so I could actually see them.
>> Just teasing! I think I am funny. I only cry when I
>> hurt myself. (Not an admission that I cry.)
>>

>>> Seriously. I like beans, a lot. I put about 1/2 cup of beans in a big
>>> pot of soup, different kinds of beans for different soup. If I have
>>> extras (I just had to buy a can of black beans for a recipe, because I
>>> didn't have any dried on hand), I'll put a spoonful on salad. I just
>>> don't ever have anything where beans are the dominant ingredient.

>> Now that makes sense. Use them as a seasoning is quantities so
>> small as to not throw off the carb count. Like the way I use turnips
>> in my broccoli cheese soup.
>>

> This thread got me going. I made a black bean, corn, & tomato salad,
> with local farmstand corn and tomatoes. The whole recipe used 1/2 can of
> black beans, 1 ear of corn, 1.5 small tomatoes (and a little onion,
> cilantro, garlic, and lemon juice). This made a total of 3.5 or 4 cups,
> and the serving I had for dinner last night was probably 3/4 cup (or
> less, I had it in a little pyrex dessert bowl).
>
> I didn't figure the carb content, but did test my bg. Before dinner, I
> was at 72mg/dl; at both 1 & 2 hours post, I was at 100mg/dl. (The rest
> of dinner was a hamburger with ketchup but no bun.) YMMV but my mileage
> is glad there's a bunch more of this salad in the fridge.

Hi Alice,

!Ah caramba! I'd lose a foot! How many years were your
reading this low before you could get away with the above?

I get a stressful, zero carbohydrate call from a customer
and my BG jumps up 20 to 25 points. No food involved!
I want your numbers!

Do you use insulin?

-T

What? No pennies in your salad?

Todd 17-07-2013 10:05 PM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/15/2013 02:05 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1848910 Wrote:
>> On 07/14/2013 02:32 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
>> Best way to thicken up thin
>> juice is to remove a cup or two of cooked beans and mash em up and
>> return to the pot. Canned beans work good for this too..and give a
>> little layer of flavor which is hard to duplicate..but to be au
>> naturale
>> and not cheat..just mash up some beans and throw em back in there. Now
>> real Mexicans will sometimes throw a hunk of light bread in there to
>> thicken them up-
>>

>> That is actually pretty cleaver mashing them up and
>> returning them to the pot.
>>
>> How do you guys get away with all the carbs in
>> beans?
>>
>> 'Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Beans, pinto, mature seeds, canned'
>> (http://tinyurl.com/kgav9n3)
>>
>> 1 cup of pinto beans is 37 grams. I would blow
>> my carb count for a meal at 1/3 cup.
>>
>> -T

> Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have
> a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
> once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
> them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
> offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try
> eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock
> them mean old carbs right in the head.

Hi Bigwheel,

What type of Diabetic are you and are you using insulin?
What is your max carb per meal and per day? Inquiring mind
want to know!

Have you measured yourself before and after a bean meal?
Inquiring minds want to know that too!

-T

Alice Faber 17-07-2013 10:34 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/16/2013 02:19 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> > In article >, Todd >
> > wrote:

> >> Hi Alice,
> >>
> >> I could lay all 15 of them out on a plate and eat
> >> them really, really, really s-l-o-w. Maybe a Kleenex to
> >> wipe up my tears, so I could actually see them.
> >> Just teasing! I think I am funny. I only cry when I
> >> hurt myself. (Not an admission that I cry.)

> >> Now that makes sense. Use them as a seasoning is quantities so
> >> small as to not throw off the carb count. Like the way I use turnips
> >> in my broccoli cheese soup.
> >>

> > This thread got me going. I made a black bean, corn, & tomato salad,
> > with local farmstand corn and tomatoes. The whole recipe used 1/2 can of
> > black beans, 1 ear of corn, 1.5 small tomatoes (and a little onion,
> > cilantro, garlic, and lemon juice). This made a total of 3.5 or 4 cups,
> > and the serving I had for dinner last night was probably 3/4 cup (or
> > less, I had it in a little pyrex dessert bowl).
> >
> > I didn't figure the carb content, but did test my bg. Before dinner, I
> > was at 72mg/dl; at both 1 & 2 hours post, I was at 100mg/dl. (The rest
> > of dinner was a hamburger with ketchup but no bun.) YMMV but my mileage
> > is glad there's a bunch more of this salad in the fridge.
> >

> Hi Alice,
>
> !Ah caramba! I'd lose a foot! How many years were your
> reading this low before you could get away with the above?
>
> I get a stressful, zero carbohydrate call from a customer
> and my BG jumps up 20 to 25 points. No food involved!
> I want your numbers!
>

> Do you use insulin?

Nope, no meds at all. I was diagnosed in 1998, reduced my carbs, lost
some weight.

Todd 17-07-2013 11:08 PM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/17/2013 02:34 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/16/2013 02:19 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

>>> This thread got me going. I made a black bean, corn, & tomato salad,
>>> with local farmstand corn and tomatoes. The whole recipe used 1/2 can of
>>> black beans, 1 ear of corn, 1.5 small tomatoes (and a little onion,
>>> cilantro, garlic, and lemon juice). This made a total of 3.5 or 4 cups,
>>> and the serving I had for dinner last night was probably 3/4 cup (or
>>> less, I had it in a little pyrex dessert bowl).
>>>
>>> I didn't figure the carb content, but did test my bg. Before dinner, I
>>> was at 72mg/dl; at both 1 & 2 hours post, I was at 100mg/dl. (The rest
>>> of dinner was a hamburger with ketchup but no bun.) YMMV but my mileage
>>> is glad there's a bunch more of this salad in the fridge.
>>>

>> Hi Alice,
>>
>> !Ah caramba! I'd lose a foot! How many years were your
>> reading this low before you could get away with the above?
>>
>> I get a stressful, zero carbohydrate call from a customer
>> and my BG jumps up 20 to 25 points. No food involved!
>> I want your numbers!
>>

>> Do you use insulin?

> Nope, no meds at all. I was diagnosed in 1998, reduced my carbs, lost
> some weight.

Hi ALice,

Fantastic!

That is my goal too. How many years did it take you
to get to the steady numbers?

Got my Met down to 500 mg twice a day (the smallest
dosage). And bought a pill cutter to go down further.
probably will start that next month. Right now
I am sitting at about 115 rolling out of bed. Go
up to about 125-130, then down to 100 during the day.
It has more to do with the time of day and not what I eat
as I am very, very strict on my carb count.

I lost all my weight before I got diagnosed (October).
Now I am steady since then.

Laughing seems to make my numbers go down; stress seems
to make them go up.

-T

Alice Faber 17-07-2013 11:49 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/17/2013 02:34 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> > In article >, Todd >
> > wrote:

> >> Hi Alice,
> >>
> >> !Ah caramba! I'd lose a foot! How many years were your
> >> reading this low before you could get away with the above?
> >>
> >> I get a stressful, zero carbohydrate call from a customer
> >> and my BG jumps up 20 to 25 points. No food involved!
> >> I want your numbers!
> >>

> >> Do you use insulin?

> > Nope, no meds at all. I was diagnosed in 1998, reduced my carbs, lost
> > some weight.
> >

> Hi ALice,
>
> Fantastic!
>
> That is my goal too. How many years did it take you
> to get to the steady numbers?

I wouldn't say they're steady, but my fasting is generally in the 70-95
range (but not always). Strangely, reducing bg also reduces insulin
resistance.

Todd 18-07-2013 12:26 AM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/17/2013 03:49 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/17/2013 02:34 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

>>> Nope, no meds at all. I was diagnosed in 1998, reduced my carbs, lost
>>> some weight.
>>>

>> Hi ALice,
>>
>> Fantastic!
>>
>> That is my goal too. How many years did it take you
>> to get to the steady numbers?

> I wouldn't say they're steady, but my fasting is generally in the 70-95
> range (but not always). Strangely, reducing bg also reduces insulin
> resistance.
>>
>> Got my Met down to 500 mg twice a day (the smallest
>> dosage). And bought a pill cutter to go down further.
>> probably will start that next month. Right now
>> I am sitting at about 115 rolling out of bed. Go
>> up to about 125-130, then down to 100 during the day.
>> It has more to do with the time of day and not what I eat
>> as I am very, very strict on my carb count.
>>
>> I lost all my weight before I got diagnosed (October).
>> Now I am steady since then.
>>
>> Laughing seems to make my numbers go down; stress seems
>> to make them go up.
>>
>> -T

Hi Alice,

You are killing me here! How many years did it take you to
get there?

-T

Alice Faber 18-07-2013 12:31 AM

Nopales and pennies?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 07/17/2013 03:49 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> > In article >, Todd >
> > wrote:

> >> Hi ALice,
> >>
> >> Fantastic!
> >>
> >> That is my goal too. How many years did it take you
> >> to get to the steady numbers?

> > I wouldn't say they're steady, but my fasting is generally in the 70-95
> > range (but not always). Strangely, reducing bg also reduces insulin
> > resistance.
> >>
> >> Got my Met down to 500 mg twice a day (the smallest
> >> dosage). And bought a pill cutter to go down further.
> >> probably will start that next month. Right now
> >> I am sitting at about 115 rolling out of bed. Go
> >> up to about 125-130, then down to 100 during the day.
> >> It has more to do with the time of day and not what I eat
> >> as I am very, very strict on my carb count.
> >>
> >> I lost all my weight before I got diagnosed (October).
> >> Now I am steady since then.
> >>
> >> Laughing seems to make my numbers go down; stress seems
> >> to make them go up.
> >>
> >> -T

> Hi Alice,
>
> You are killing me here! How many years did it take you to
> get there?

Honestly, I have no idea.

Todd 18-07-2013 12:52 AM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/17/2013 04:31 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 07/17/2013 03:49 PM, Alice Faber wrote:

>>> I wouldn't say they're steady, but my fasting is generally in the 70-95
>>> range (but not always). Strangely, reducing bg also reduces insulin
>>> resistance.

>> Hi Alice,
>>
>> You are killing me here! How many years did it take you to
>> get there?
>>

> Honestly, I have no idea.

Rats! :-)

Todd 18-07-2013 03:17 AM

Nopales and pennies?

On 07/17/2013 03:49 PM, Alice Faber wrote:
> Strangely, reducing bg also reduces insulin
> resistance.

Not strange at all if you look at it from an
engineering control system standpoint. Think of your
car's cruise control. If you are going too slow, the
cruise control will receive a signal from sensors
that tell the control system you are going too slow and
the system will (try) to speed you up. Too fast, the
control system will try to slow you down. The control
system compensates in the other direction.

Your cells are the same way. If they receive too much or
too little of something, your body's control systems will
compensate in the other direction. So too much Glucose
and insulin and your cells will be told not to accept them
(as it will hurt them) from what ever control system
(probably your liver) is monitoring glucose and insulin.
So, insulin resistance. Too little and your cells will
be told to accept more. Your body "compensates" in
the other direction, just like your car's cruise control.

Too many carbs and your body's control system can not
compensate enough in the other direction. Then you
do damage (T2). Like your car going down a steep hill
with the cruise control on. The control system knows
you are going too fast, but the engine's compression
can't slow you down, so the control system rails
out and can not compensate. Damage can occur to your
engine if you keep gaining too much speed and there
is no external intervention (like you putting on the
brakes, which the cruise control can not do).
Think of Metformin as your brakes: an external intervention

Did I make any sense?

-T

Peppermint Patootie 18-07-2013 08:41 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article >,
bigwheel > wrote:

> Have heard folks say beans have
> a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
> once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
> them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
> offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources.

I'm afraid that whole theory was disproved. You don't need to eat them
together. Just include them in your diet. Except that corn is very
high carb. I can't eat even one ear of corn without spiking to kingdom
come.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Peppermint Patootie 18-07-2013 08:43 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> bigwheel > wrote:
>
> : Todd;1848910 Wrote:
>
> : Not sure about the physics on the carbs. Have heard folks say beans have
> : a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
> : once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
> : them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
> : offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources. Try
> : eating them with cornbread..pepper sauce and raw onions. That prob knock
> : them mean old carbs right in the head.
>
> rice an beans also make a compete protein, but they are just not indicated
> for diabetics as the carb content is very high, too high to be used as a
> major part of a meal. As has been mentioned, a few sprinkled on a salad
> or in a soup are Ok, but as a full portion beans are a problem for
> diabetics. For non-diabetics like you, they are a good food, just not for
> us diabetics here.
> : --
> : bigwheel
> Wendy

When I make something that calls for beans, I tend to use 1/2 real beans
and 1/2 black soybeans. They don't get as soft as beans, but they're an
OK substitute and very low carb. I can buy them canned in Whole Foods
and at food co-ops.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Alice Faber 18-07-2013 10:18 PM

Nopales and pennies?

In article
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> In article >,
> bigwheel > wrote:
>
> > Have heard folks say beans have
> > a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
> > once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
> > them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
> > offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources.

> I'm afraid that whole theory was disproved. You don't need to eat them
> together. Just include them in your diet. Except that corn is very
> high carb. I can't eat even one ear of corn without spiking to kingdom
> come.

When corn is in season (like now), I'll occasionally buy *one* ear at
the farmstand. When I cook it, I eat part of an ear, generally somewhere
between 1/3 and 1/2. The rest I cut off the ear and save, so I can put a
spoonful in salad as a garnish. The black bean and corn salad I posted
about earlier in this thread yielded 5 servings for a small ear of corn.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-07-2013 10:24 PM

Nopales and pennies?

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article
> >,
> Peppermint Patootie > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> bigwheel > wrote:
>>
>> > Have heard folks say beans have
>> > a bunch. Everybody from Texas was raised on em and eat them at least
>> > once a day and sometimes twice on Sunday. They claim if a person eats
>> > them along with corn it makes a combo complex protein which neither
>> > offers alone..and which is only slightly inferior to animal sources.

>> I'm afraid that whole theory was disproved. You don't need to eat them
>> together. Just include them in your diet. Except that corn is very
>> high carb. I can't eat even one ear of corn without spiking to kingdom
>> come.
>>

> When corn is in season (like now), I'll occasionally buy *one* ear at
> the farmstand. When I cook it, I eat part of an ear, generally somewhere
> between 1/3 and 1/2. The rest I cut off the ear and save, so I can put a
> spoonful in salad as a garnish. The black bean and corn salad I posted
> about earlier in this thread yielded 5 servings for a small ear of corn.

Corn is not a problem for me but I don't like it so much. Exception being
corn chip and popcorn. If I do eat it, it is usually a small amount in a
salad, casserole or soup. I don't mind a few ears of baby corn or a few
kernels in something. But to just eat corn? Not so much. And especially
on the cob. Hate it like that because it sticks in my teeth. I do like raw
corn though, provided it is very fresh. Angela likes it too. Will eat it
right from the cob. The odd thing is, none of the rest of my family will
eat it raw. Although it tastes wonderful to us, they say that it tastes
raw. Uh, duh. It is! Angela and my mom also like raw potatoes. Me? Not
so much.