Old 18-07-2013, 06:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Diabetes and Statins

On 07/18/2013 10:33 AM, Todd wrote:
If you will indulge me in an off topic follow up, I
thought the link between homocysteine and heart
and stroke was well established through autopsy studies.

http://www.lef.org/protocols/heart_c...duction_01.htm

Is this BS?

Old 18-07-2013, 06:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/17/2013 07:59 PM, Todd wrote:

Are you taking folates?

400 mcg

Make sure it is folate and not folic acid. About
half of us can not covert folic acid to folate.

A nice chart on foliate and homocysteine:

http://www.lef.org/protocols/images/...gure_2-big.jpg
Old 18-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 07/15/2013 10:55 AM, Billy wrote:
theheart.org: trusted cardiology news and opinions

HYPERTENSION
Reducing heart rate in hypertension is harmful‹or is it just atenolol?
OCTOBER 22, 2008 | Lisa Nainggolan
New York, NY - Slowing the heart rate with beta blockers in people with
hypertension is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular
events and death, a new systematic review shows [1]. Furthermore, the
slower the heart rate, the greater the risk, report Dr Sripal Bangalore
(St Luke's Roosevelt Hospital, New York) and colleagues in the October
28, 2008 issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
(cont.)

Take a look at Hawthorn Berries as a mild sub for beta
blockers.
Thanks for that tip. I have my Trophy doing serious research on Hawthorn Berries as we speak. She likes to keep me healthy since I am the one who gets the big checks from the guv'ment.
Old 18-07-2013, 09:59 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie Bove[_2_] View Post
"Todd" lid wrote in message
On 07/15/2013 10:55 AM, Billy wrote:
theheart.org: trusted cardiology news and opinions

HYPERTENSION
Reducing heart rate in hypertension is harmful‹or is it just atenolol?
OCTOBER 22, 2008 | Lisa Nainggolan
New York, NY - Slowing the heart rate with beta blockers in people with
hypertension is associated with an increased risk of cardiovascular
events and death, a new systematic review shows [1]. Furthermore, the
slower the heart rate, the greater the risk, report Dr Sripal Bangalore
(St Luke's Roosevelt Hospital, New York) and colleagues in the October
28, 2008 issue of the Journal of the American College of Cardiology.
(cont.)

Take a look at Hawthorn Berries as a mild sub for beta
blockers.

Beta Blockers are contraindicated in diabetics.
Contraindicated huh? Dang we have some big words floating around here..lol. Down around Robistown over There..the folks would say...They aint muy stalweirner worth a caca. lol.
Old 18-07-2013, 10:05 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 07/18/2013 10:33 AM, Todd wrote:
If you will indulge me in an off topic follow up, I
thought the link between homocysteine and heart
and stroke was well established through autopsy studies.

Homocysteine Reduction - Folic Acid, Plasma, Vascular Damage - Life Extension Health Concern

Is this BS?
No no..thats right on the money..thanks for the link. Nearly all of us are lacking in Vitamins D and B. Best get some.

Last edited by bigwheel : 18-07-2013 at 10:09 PM

Old 19-07-2013, 04:09 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

A way in which statins DO relate to your diet, and therefore what foods you select:

They tend to destroy an essential nutrient, omega-3 fats. One way to help with this problem is to eat more fish from the colder parts of the ocean, such as salmon and sardines. Note - these same species of fish, but farmed rather than caught wild, usually contain much less omega-3, since they do not have access to the same food supplies as those used by the wild ones.

Robert Miles
T2
Old 19-07-2013, 06:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/18/2013 08:09 PM, Robert Miles wrote:
A way in which statins DO relate to your diet, and therefore what foods you select:

They tend to destroy an essential nutrient, omega-3 fats. One way to help with this problem is to eat more fish from the colder parts of the ocean, such as salmon and sardines. Note - these same species of fish, but farmed rather than caught wild, usually contain much less omega-3, since they do not have access to the same food supplies as those used by the wild ones.

Robert Miles
T2

Hi Robert,

Great advice. I am trying to get cod -- a nice cold water
fish -- into my diet. Raley's had a Monday $5.00 sale
on their flash frozen full circle cod. They are sitting
in the freezer. Purslane, which I grow (EAT THE WEED!) has
more omega-3 than does fish oil, but that is only a summer
delicacy. So I got to get the fish thing down for the
winter.

On a sad note, researchers are always trying to stab each
other in the back. Here is a peer review on fish oil
where Life Extension takes a guy to task for only
using "40% of the omega-3 plasma levels that ... would be expected
in health conscious people taking the proper dose of fish oil."
And them purported that fish oil did not work. He got reamed
in the review.

http://www.lef.org/featured-articles...or-Fiction.htm

Wow. Thank goodness for peer reviews!

I think the same back stabbing is going with those researchers
that purport that B vits don't help homocysteine. Wonder
how low they had to go on the b vits to prove that? 20%?

-T

Old 19-07-2013, 06:51 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/18/2013 01:59 PM, bigwheel wrote:
'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
...-
(
http://www.theheart.org/article/913561.do)

[...]

Hi Big,

I have seen "contraindicated in diabetics" thrown around a lot.
When you read the "why", it is usually something like they
are "hypoglycemic". For us NIDDM's, I have one word. YIPEE!!!

Any reason given in your wife's research?

-T

Old 19-07-2013, 08:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:
[...]

Small note-Cod is not an oily fish, so has a low fat content, which means
lee omega 3. that is why salmon , mackerel, bluefish, sardines, shad(an
Easern seabord spring run fish), trout andd sea trout are the kinds of
fish to look for as they are high in fat content. I don't knwo about more
specifically Pacific fish liek pacific snapper and others I saw when in CA
many years ago voe a visit. I fin cod also pretty asteless so it needs
lits of seasoning, etc.

Wendy
Old 19-07-2013, 09:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 07/19/2013 12:37 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Small note-Cod is not an oily fish, so has a low fat content, which means
lee omega 3. that is why salmon , mackerel, bluefish, sardines, shad(an
Easern seabord spring run fish), trout andd sea trout are the kinds of
fish to look for as they are high in fat content. I don't knwo about more
specifically Pacific fish liek pacific snapper and others I saw when in CA
many years ago voe a visit. I fin cod also pretty asteless so it needs
lits of seasoning, etc.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you! You are a blessing!

We do supplement with omega3/epa/dha from Life Extension.
But it is always better to eat the stuff.

The idea behind cod is that it is LOW ODOR. It is the
only fish my best friend will eat. (I still have to try
the Parmesan coating on it that she adores so much
on chicken.)

Are any of your above recommendation (not salmon, she
hates salmon) low odor/low (fish) stink, like the
cod?

-T

Old 19-07-2013, 09:20 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
[...]

It's contraindicated because it can raise BG and *cause* diabetes. It can
also mask the symptoms of hypos.

Old 19-07-2013, 10:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
[...]

Not particularly, except that sardines are usually from cans like tuna.
Fresh fish, I find don't particularly smell so it doesn't bother me here
on the East Coast I can see where in Nevada you don't get is a freshas we
can, particularly the local fishes in season.

this discussion of types of fish is really related to this newsgroup,
unlike all the medical stuff I con'tlike to see here. there are two other
groupw that have been suggested to you for such dscussions. don't make
this group go bad so we have no place to discuss food, recipes, etc rather
than the medical stuff we all read about onthe other groups. I Bigwheel
doesn't read on of those groups ther e is no reason he can just move over
to them. There is no fees to join. , Same wt Billy.

Wendy

Old 20-07-2013, 05:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 14:23:55 -0700, "Julie Bove"
wrote:

I think most of us are here because we don't like forums.

Newsgroups are forums.

Old 20-07-2013, 05:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 19 Jul 2013 21:25:46 +0000 (UTC), "W. Baker"
wrote:

[...]

Fresh whole sardines can be bought from many seafood markets and in
many groceries with a fresh seafood counter. They are excellent when
baked.