FoodBanter.com

-   -   Ping Cheri: artichokes (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/424551-ping-cheri-artichokes.html)

Todd 23-06-2013 07:43 AM

Ping Cheri: artichokes

> I just made jumbo artichokes yesterday. I put them in a casserole dish with lid,
> turned them top side down, added about 1/2 cup water, put the lid on

and micro
> for about 14 minutes due to the size. Perfect. When I took them out,

turned
> right side up and drizzled with some olive oil and lemon juice. They were
> really good.
>
> Cheri

Hi Cheri and Friends,

I can eat one medium artichoke at a time: 14 carbs.

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...e/carbohydrate

The way I cook my artichokes is to cut (saw) off the stickery top
first. Then drizzled olive oil into the leaves. Then pressure
cook right side up, so the oil doesn't drain out. Serve
with beef. (Now that I am T2 [niddm], a lot of beef!)

What happens when you nuke the upside down? Is there any
texture, taste difference between nuking and autoclaving
(pressure cooking)? (I want to reproduce your "really
good"!)

Have you ever stuffed the leaves? My mother use to do that.
It was really good, but seemed like a tremendous amount of
work. Far, far easier just to server beef on the side.

Do you use any special seasoning? Or just olive oil and
lemon juice? Would you put the lemon juice on before cooking?

My local CSA farm tried growing artichokes last year.
I wonder if they are going to try again this year.

Many thanks,
-T

Cheri[_3_] 23-06-2013 03:13 PM

Ping Cheri: artichokes

"Todd" > wrote in message
>> I just made jumbo artichokes yesterday. I put them in a casserole dish
>> with lid,
> > turned them top side down, added about 1/2 cup water, put the lid on

> and micro
> > for about 14 minutes due to the size. Perfect. When I took them out,

> turned
>> right side up and drizzled with some olive oil and lemon juice. They were
> > really good.
> >
>> Cheri

> Hi Cheri and Friends,
>
> I can eat one medium artichoke at a time: 14 carbs.
>
> http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...e/carbohydrate
>
> The way I cook my artichokes is to cut (saw) off the stickery top
> first. Then drizzled olive oil into the leaves. Then pressure
> cook right side up, so the oil doesn't drain out. Serve
> with beef. (Now that I am T2 [niddm], a lot of beef!)
>
> What happens when you nuke the upside down? Is there any
> texture, taste difference between nuking and autoclaving
> (pressure cooking)? (I want to reproduce your "really
> good"!)
>
> Have you ever stuffed the leaves? My mother use to do that.
> It was really good, but seemed like a tremendous amount of
> work. Far, far easier just to server beef on the side.
>
> Do you use any special seasoning? Or just olive oil and
> lemon juice? Would you put the lemon juice on before cooking?
>
> My local CSA farm tried growing artichokes last year.
> I wonder if they are going to try again this year.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

No, I don't use special seasonings, just salt and pepper. I use butter for
dipping. I cook mine upside down, and then turn up and drizzle with the
olive oil and lemon juice that I have combined. I like simple, but I do know
some people do stuff etc. before I nuked them, I used to steam them in a
pot. I do use a pressure cooker often, but I haven't used for artichokes.

Cheri

Todd 23-06-2013 09:40 PM

Ping Cheri: artichokes

On 06/23/2013 07:13 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>>> I just made jumbo artichokes yesterday. I put them in a casserole
>>> dish with lid,
>> > turned them top side down, added about 1/2 cup water, put the lid on

>> and micro
>> > for about 14 minutes due to the size. Perfect. When I took them out,

>> turned
>>> right side up and drizzled with some olive oil and lemon juice. They
>>> were
>> > really good.
>> >
>>> Cheri

>> Hi Cheri and Friends,
>>
>> I can eat one medium artichoke at a time: 14 carbs.
>>
>> http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...e/carbohydrate
>>
>> The way I cook my artichokes is to cut (saw) off the stickery top
>> first. Then drizzled olive oil into the leaves. Then pressure
>> cook right side up, so the oil doesn't drain out. Serve
>> with beef. (Now that I am T2 [niddm], a lot of beef!)
>>
>> What happens when you nuke the upside down? Is there any
>> texture, taste difference between nuking and autoclaving
>> (pressure cooking)? (I want to reproduce your "really
>> good"!)
>>
>> Have you ever stuffed the leaves? My mother use to do that.
>> It was really good, but seemed like a tremendous amount of
>> work. Far, far easier just to server beef on the side.
>>
>> Do you use any special seasoning? Or just olive oil and
>> lemon juice? Would you put the lemon juice on before cooking?
>>
>> My local CSA farm tried growing artichokes last year.
>> I wonder if they are going to try again this year.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> No, I don't use special seasonings, just salt and pepper. I use butter
> for dipping. I cook mine upside down, and then turn up and drizzle with
> the olive oil and lemon juice that I have combined. I like simple, but I
> do know some people do stuff etc. before I nuked them, I used to steam
> them in a pot. I do use a pressure cooker often, but I haven't used for
> artichokes.
>
> Cheri

Hi Cheri,

Thank you!

-T

Todd 01-07-2013 08:27 PM

Ping Cheri: artichokes

On 06/23/2013 07:13 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>>> I just made jumbo artichokes yesterday. I put them in a casserole
>>> dish with lid,
>> > turned them top side down, added about 1/2 cup water, put the lid on

>> and micro
>> > for about 14 minutes due to the size. Perfect. When I took them out,

>> turned
>>> right side up and drizzled with some olive oil and lemon juice. They
>>> were
>> > really good.
>> >
>>> Cheri

>> Hi Cheri and Friends,
>>
>> I can eat one medium artichoke at a time: 14 carbs.
>>
>> http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nu...e/carbohydrate
>>
>> The way I cook my artichokes is to cut (saw) off the stickery top
>> first. Then drizzled olive oil into the leaves. Then pressure
>> cook right side up, so the oil doesn't drain out. Serve
>> with beef. (Now that I am T2 [niddm], a lot of beef!)
>>
>> What happens when you nuke the upside down? Is there any
>> texture, taste difference between nuking and autoclaving
>> (pressure cooking)? (I want to reproduce your "really
>> good"!)
>>
>> Have you ever stuffed the leaves? My mother use to do that.
>> It was really good, but seemed like a tremendous amount of
>> work. Far, far easier just to server beef on the side.
>>
>> Do you use any special seasoning? Or just olive oil and
>> lemon juice? Would you put the lemon juice on before cooking?
>>
>> My local CSA farm tried growing artichokes last year.
>> I wonder if they are going to try again this year.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> No, I don't use special seasonings, just salt and pepper. I use butter
> for dipping. I cook mine upside down, and then turn up and drizzle with
> the olive oil and lemon juice that I have combined. I like simple, but I
> do know some people do stuff etc. before I nuked them, I used to steam
> them in a pot. I do use a pressure cooker often, but I haven't used for
> artichokes.
>
> Cheri

Hi Cheri,

Thank you for suggestions and tips!

Made artichokes, low carb broccoli cheese soup, and broccoli stem hash
browns yesterday. Ate the artichokes with steak. I have missed
artichokes!

Talk about being a member of the Pin Cushion Club! Here is yesterday's
numbers with the addition of the artichokes.

12:48 slept in, 113 mg/dL Blood Glucose
14:16 1300 mg Opunita ficus-indica leaf (prickly pear)
14:33 steak, ½ cup cottage cheese (3g carb), 1 cup smashed artichoke
leaves and stems
14:56 500 mg metformin
17:10 ½ cup broccoli cheese soup
17:13 127 mg/dL
17:15 ½ large artichokes
19:31 112 mg/dL
20:12 trace keytones
20:26 two cups cocoa and another ½ artichokes
21:37 122 mg/dL
22:04 ¾ cup blueberries
22:30 1300 mg Opunita ficus-indica leaf (prickly pear)
00:43 105 mg/dL
~01:00 500 mg metformin

-T