Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What am I doing wrong with my cauliflower mashed potatoes?

On 06/25/2013 04:32 PM, Don Roberto wrote:
> On 6/24/2013 10:39 PM, Todd wrote:

>>> Odds are you wouldn't have.
>>> In fact, eating cauliflower and broccoli raw may have prolonged your
>>> life.

>> Hi Don,
>>
>> No doubt!
>>
>> Those kind of cramps will make life seem much, much longer.

> You were talking about farts - not cramps.

The two are related.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/25/2013 01:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 06/25/2013 11:03 AM, KROM wrote:
> : > use just the inner part..peel it or if lazy use a knife to cut the stems
> : > into about 3 inch lengths and cut those down by standing up and cutting
> : > down to make it into a long square inner core plank..if you get what I
> : > mean...
> : >
> : > the inner parts white and not green once you remove the woody
> : > exterior...sure your wasting most of the green outer but most toss stems
> : > anyway.
> : >
> : > what I do is use the woodier part cut very small and used in soups..it
> : > pretty much melts into the soup..or use your food processor to mush the
> : > green woody part to mush and add to soup.
> : >
> : > KROM
>
> : Hi FROM,
>
> : Thank you!
>
> : It is going to be fun learning to peal broccoli!
>
> : -T
>
> Not difficult. Use a vegetable peeler gadget. they are cheap
> andveryuseful.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Sounds like a job for a potato peeler! Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/26/2013 10:37 AM, KROM wrote:
> let me know how it turns out!
>
> KROM

Will do.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/25/2013 01:35 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
> : > just be sure to peel the green away..it?s the inner white core that?s
> : > potato like.
> : >
> : > what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
> : > yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
> : > brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
> : > not miss potato so much.
> : >
> : > KROM
>
> : Okay, stupid question. What do you do with the rest of the head?

> Cook it as broccoli florets. us the microwave for about 5-6 minutes with
> covered florets.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

Then what? Cheese sauce?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/26/2013 10:40 AM, KROM wrote:
> heh..use it for other things you like..like stir fry etc.
>
> I'm lucky my wife loves the tops with her dinner..so we got a jack sprat
> thing going on.
>
> if I am using the tops I cut it very very very small so it melts into my
> soups.
>
> KROM

Hi KROM,

Soup. Good idea. Thank you!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: >
: > : It is going to be fun learning to peal broccoli!
: >
: > : -T
: >
: > Not difficult. Use a vegetable peeler gadget. they are cheap
: > andveryuseful.
: >
: > Wendy
: >

: Hi Wendy,

: Sounds like a job for a potato peeler! Thank you!

: -T

Probably the same inplement.

endy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

: > Todd > wrote:
: > : On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
: > : > just be sure to peel the green away..it?s the inner white core that?s
: > : > potato like.
: > : >
: > : > what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
: > : > yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
: > : > brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
: > : > not miss potato so much.
: > : >
: > : > KROM
: >
: > : Okay, stupid question. What do you do with the rest of the head?

: > Cook it as broccoli florets. us the microwave for about 5-6 minutes with
: > covered florets.
: >
: > Wendy
: >

: Hi Wendy,

: Thank you!

: Then what? Cheese sauce?

: -T
I eat them plain, fewer calories , but whatever sauce you like should work
fine. Better than trying to cook them the pressure cooker which would too
easily overcook them givin gyou the same problem you had with the
cauiflower. Learn and practice using the microwave for cooking your
vegetables. You can even use it to make pretty good ovenless and
pasta-less lasagne using horizontally sliced eggplant or zucchini which
you first soften in the microwave adn then make into lasagna by whatever
recipe you like and cook until boiling and cheese is all melted in the
mivrowave. this might also help you with your burning an dover-cooking
problem as you can alwasy cook for a short time, like 2-3 mins and check
and then cook another minute or two and check and if you walk away, since
it is on a timer, you won't get it all burnt.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
> > just be sure to peel the green away..its the inner white core thats
> > potato like.
> >
> > what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
> > yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
> > brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
> > not miss potato so much.
> >
> > KROM

> Oh Man! I do miss hash browns! Thank you

I'd fry them with bacon fat rather than butter. I think that half the
flavor of hash browns is the flavor of the fat it's cooked in.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/28/2013 11:44 AM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
>>> just be sure to peel the green away..its the inner white core thats
>>> potato like.
>>>
>>> what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
>>> yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
>>> brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
>>> not miss potato so much.
>>>
>>> KROM

>> Oh Man! I do miss hash browns! Thank you

> I'd fry them with bacon fat rather than butter. I think that half the
> flavor of hash browns is the flavor of the fat it's cooked in.
>
> PP

Thank you! And, I think I saved some bacon fat too.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/26/2013 01:43 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 06/25/2013 01:35 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > Todd > wrote:
> : > : On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
> : > : > just be sure to peel the green away..it?s the inner white core that?s
> : > : > potato like.
> : > : >
> : > : > what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
> : > : > yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
> : > : > brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
> : > : > not miss potato so much.
> : > : >
> : > : > KROM
> : >
> : > : Okay, stupid question. What do you do with the rest of the head?
>
> : > Cook it as broccoli florets. us the microwave for about 5-6 minutes with
> : > covered florets.
> : >
> : > Wendy
> : >
>
> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : Thank you!
>
> : Then what? Cheese sauce?
>
> : -T
> I eat them plain, fewer calories , but whatever sauce you like should work
> fine. Better than trying to cook them the pressure cooker which would too
> easily overcook them givin gyou the same problem you had with the
> cauiflower. Learn and practice using the microwave for cooking your
> vegetables. You can even use it to make pretty good ovenless and
> pasta-less lasagne using horizontally sliced eggplant or zucchini which
> you first soften in the microwave adn then make into lasagna by whatever
> recipe you like and cook until boiling and cheese is all melted in the
> mivrowave. this might also help you with your burning an dover-cooking
> problem as you can alwasy cook for a short time, like 2-3 mins and check
> and then cook another minute or two and check and if you walk away, since
> it is on a timer, you won't get it all burnt.
>
> Wendy

Thank you!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
> just be sure to peel the green away..its the inner white core thats
> potato like.
>
> what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
> yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
> brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
> not miss potato so much.
>
> KROM

Hi KROM,

I bought a head of broccoli with as many stems as I could find (four).
Then I pealed the stems (the florettes went into Broccoli cheese soup).
That is a weird peal!

Then I put the stalks down the food processor with the grate blade.
Made hash browns out of them. Then I poured them into hot butter and
rosemary. They sucked the butter, so I was afraid of burning them.
So I took them out and microwaved them a bit. Then I tasted them.
They tasted "healthy" and worried about gas. Then her trophyness
tried a small bit and told me to salt them and microwave them a
few more minutes.

Et VoilĂ*! They tasted exactly like hash browns. We both loved them.
She made sure I wrote you a thank you. And, she told me to tell you
that "they are still green!" :-)

You guys are a blessing.

-T

I have a head of cauliflower. I am wondering what to do with it.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I am so glad it worked for you!

I call these my "tasty experiments"

with the help of this group and my own mad science kitchen work I have found
many ways to eat the things I love with no negative effect on my blood
glucose

dont fear burning the broccoli..it can handle a lot of heat and the brown
is tasty and kills the "green" taste.

btw did you cook them in a chicken/beef broth mix first?

next time grate them as you did and in the pan with no butter put three
table spoons chicken broth and same of beef broth and let cook in the broth
a few minutes then drain whatever wasnt absorbed and dry on paper towel...
then cook it in the fry pan with the butter.

just something to try...but if your way is good enough for you its good
enough for me :-)

KROM

"Todd" wrote