Old 25-06-2013, 07:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What am I doing wrong with my cauliflower mashed potatoes?

use just the inner part..peel it or if lazy use a knife to cut the stems
into about 3 inch lengths and cut those down by standing up and cutting down
to make it into a long square inner core plank..if you get what I mean...

the inner parts white and not green once you remove the woody
exterior...sure your wasting most of the green outer but most toss stems
anyway.

what I do is use the woodier part cut very small and used in soups..it
pretty much melts into the soup..or use your food processor to mush the
green woody part to mush and add to soup.

KROM

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 06/24/2013 04:27 PM, Todd wrote:
On 06/24/2013 10:32 AM, KROM wrote:
just a small amount to make it not stick..your not frying your sautéing
it to release moisture and add flavor.

so medium heat..then reduce heat put lid on pressure cooker with the
rest of the ingredients.

the way I make it is sauté the cauli then cook it in a fourth cup
chicken and or beef broth...that kills the sulfur taste and makes it
more potato like.

so for you id put the pressure pot on stove..add a teaspoon or so
oil...on medium heat...add cauli..then garlic..then a fourth cup
broth..I like to mix beef and chicken...cover and pressure cook for a
shorter time then you have been this is the part you need to experiment
to get right until its tender..then in food processor blend the cream
cheese etc.

what I really like is the core of broccoli stems made this way it tastes
just like potato

Hi KROM,

Thank you. Can't wait to try the broccoli stems!

-T

Hi KROM,

How much of the stem do you use? The lower part is really
woody.

My wife said "But the will be green!" Then she giggled.

And, can I eat them on days other than Saint Patty's
day? :-)

-T

Old 25-06-2013, 08:26 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/25/2013 11:03 AM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: On 06/24/2013 06:07 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
: I do agree the pressure cooker is being overused by the good gentleman but
: he wants to work with what he knows..lol
:
: KROM
:
: ================
:
: I think it is all he has? I miss my pressure cooker, haven't had one for
: decades, lol.

: Two microwaves
: Two saute pans,
: Two pressure cookers (6L and 8L)

: The pressure cooker really speeds things up. Makes great broth too.

microwaves are quite fast for vegetables, I usually use about 6 mns for a
head of broccoli for a dinner veg. about the same with cauliflower, but
it would take loger for the fautatuoes. cut into flotets adn peel the
stalks and slice in kin dog thick coin size for mocrowaving, covered,
inwhatever container you use.

Wendy

Thank you!
Old 25-06-2013, 08:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/25/2013 11:03 AM, KROM wrote:
use just the inner part..peel it or if lazy use a knife to cut the stems
into about 3 inch lengths and cut those down by standing up and cutting
down to make it into a long square inner core plank..if you get what I
mean...

the inner parts white and not green once you remove the woody
exterior...sure your wasting most of the green outer but most toss stems
anyway.

what I do is use the woodier part cut very small and used in soups..it
pretty much melts into the soup..or use your food processor to mush the
green woody part to mush and add to soup.

KROM

Hi FROM,

Thank you!

It is going to be fun learning to peal broccoli!

-T
Old 25-06-2013, 08:28 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
just be sure to peel the green away..its the inner white core thats
potato like.

what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
not miss potato so much.

KROM

Oh Man! I do miss hash browns! Thank you
Old 25-06-2013, 08:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
just be sure to peel the green away..its the inner white core thats
potato like.

what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
not miss potato so much.

KROM

Okay, stupid question. What do you do with the rest of the head?

Old 25-06-2013, 09:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
[...]

Not difficult. Use a vegetable peeler gadget. they are cheap
andveryuseful.

Wendy
Old 25-06-2013, 09:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
: just be sure to peel the green away..it?s the inner white core that?s
: potato like.
:
: what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
: yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
: brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
: not miss potato so much.
:
: KROM

: Okay, stupid question. What do you do with the rest of the head?
Cook it as broccoli florets. us the microwave for about 5-6 minutes with
covered florets.

Wendy
Old 26-06-2013, 12:32 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/24/2013 10:39 PM, Todd wrote:
On 06/24/2013 10:25 PM, Don Roberto wrote:
On 6/23/2013 1:38 PM, Todd wrote:
On 06/23/2013 05:51 AM, Don Roberto wrote:

I must be doing something wrong.

Yes. You are cooking it. Cauliflower is one of the vegies that's meant
to be eaten raw.
Okay, it's also okay in soups.

Hi Don,

I can't take the farts.

I had a friend years ago who was into raw Broccoli
and Cauliflower. He tried to get me into it too.
I thought I was going to die.

Odds are you wouldn't have.
In fact, eating cauliflower and broccoli raw may have prolonged your
life.

Hi Don,

No doubt!

Those kind of cramps will make life seem much, much longer.

You were talking about farts - not cramps.

Old 26-06-2013, 06:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

heh..use it for other things you like..like stir fry etc.

I'm lucky my wife loves the tops with her dinner..so we got a jack sprat
thing going on.

if I am using the tops I cut it very very very small so it melts into my
soups.

KROM

Old 26-06-2013, 06:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 6/23/2013 1:38 PM, Todd wrote:
On 06/23/2013 05:51 AM, Don Roberto wrote:

I must be doing something wrong.

Yes. You are cooking it. Cauliflower is one of the vegies that's meant
to be eaten raw.
Okay, it's also okay in soups.

Hi Don,

I can't take the farts.

I had a friend years ago who was into raw Broccoli
and Cauliflower. He tried to get me into it too.
I thought I was going to die.

Odds are you wouldn't have.
In fact, eating cauliflower and broccoli raw may have prolonged your
life.

Hi Don,

No doubt!

Those kind of cramps will make life seem much, much longer.

You were talking about farts - not cramps.

The two are related.

Old 26-06-2013, 06:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/25/2013 01:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
[...]

Hi Wendy,

Sounds like a job for a potato peeler! Thank you!

-T
Old 26-06-2013, 09:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
just be sure to peel the green away..its the inner white core thats
potato like.

what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
not miss potato so much.

KROM

Oh Man! I do miss hash browns! Thank you

On 06/26/2013 10:37 AM, KROM wrote:
let me know how it turns out!

KROM

Will do.

Old 26-06-2013, 09:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/25/2013 01:35 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: On 06/25/2013 10:54 AM, KROM wrote:
: just be sure to peel the green away..it?s the inner white core that?s
: potato like.
:
: what I enjoy is cubing it and cooking in broth then removing once tender
: yet firm and drying on paper towel and frying in a pan with butter till
: brown like hash brown cubes and have with egg..sometimes steak...make me
: not miss potato so much.
:
: KROM

: Okay, stupid question. What do you do with the rest of the head?

Cook it as broccoli florets. us the microwave for about 5-6 minutes with
covered florets.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

Then what? Cheese sauce?

-T
Old 26-06-2013, 09:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/26/2013 10:40 AM, KROM wrote:
heh..use it for other things you like..like stir fry etc.

I'm lucky my wife loves the tops with her dinner..so we got a jack sprat
thing going on.

if I am using the tops I cut it very very very small so it melts into my
soups.

KROM

Hi KROM,

Soup. Good idea. Thank you!