Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What is "Lamb neck"?

Hi All,

It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
(Love my customers.)

This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
heard of.

What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
> (Love my customers.)
>
> This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
> grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
> figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
> heard of.
>
> What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Usually used in stews. I really like lamb neck, and from the net:

Preparation
Cooking the meat on the bone will add more flavour to the dish and is the
most economical way of using this cut. Use it as a substitute for oxtail or
any other stewing meat, or cook it in the traditional dishes of Irish stew
and Lancashire hot pot.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/19/2013 10:55 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
>> (Love my customers.)
>>
>> This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
>> grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
>> figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
>> heard of.
>>
>> What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Usually used in stews. I really like lamb neck, and from the net:
>
> Preparation
> Cooking the meat on the bone will add more flavour to the dish and is
> the most economical way of using this cut. Use it as a substitute for
> oxtail or any other stewing meat, or cook it in the traditional dishes
> of Irish stew and Lancashire hot pot.

Hi Cheri,

Thank you! Thank does explain it.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to cook a "paleolithic" (NIDDM) stew?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 06/19/2013 10:55 AM, Cheri wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
>> (Love my customers.)
>>
>> This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
>> grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
>> figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
>> heard of.
>>
>> What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Usually used in stews. I really like lamb neck, and from the net:
>
> Preparation
> Cooking the meat on the bone will add more flavour to the dish and is
> the most economical way of using this cut. Use it as a substitute for
> oxtail or any other stewing meat, or cook it in the traditional dishes
> of Irish stew and Lancashire hot pot.

Hi Cheri,

Thank you! Thank does explain it.

Anyone have a suggestion on how to cook a "paleolithic" (NIDDM) stew?

===================================

Use any veggies you like and can tolerate bg-wise. Garlic and onion are
the core of mine. Then celery, carrots (if you tolerate), cabbage, bit
of red wine. Stock if you want or just a bit of water. No need to
thicken unless you want to. Nice in a slow cooker if you have one. Add
faster cooking veggies close to the end, like mushrooms, zuchini etc.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/19/2013 04:38 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 06/19/2013 10:55 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Todd" > wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
>>> (Love my customers.)
>>>
>>> This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
>>> grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
>>> figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
>>> heard of.
>>>
>>> What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> Usually used in stews. I really like lamb neck, and from the net:
>>
>> Preparation
>> Cooking the meat on the bone will add more flavour to the dish and is
>> the most economical way of using this cut. Use it as a substitute for
>> oxtail or any other stewing meat, or cook it in the traditional dishes
>> of Irish stew and Lancashire hot pot.
>>

> Hi Cheri,
>
> Thank you! Thank does explain it.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion on how to cook a "paleolithic" (NIDDM) stew?
>
> ===================================
>
> Use any veggies you like and can tolerate bg-wise. Garlic and onion are
> the core of mine. Then celery, carrots (if you tolerate), cabbage, bit
> of red wine. Stock if you want or just a bit of water. No need to
> thicken unless you want to. Nice in a slow cooker if you have one. Add
> faster cooking veggies close to the end, like mushrooms, zuchini etc.

Hi Ozgirl,

Thank you! This will be an adventure.

I wonder how a turnip would go?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 06/19/2013 04:38 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 06/19/2013 10:55 AM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Todd" > wrote in message
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
>>> (Love my customers.)
>>>
>>> This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
>>> grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
>>> figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
>>> heard of.
>>>
>>> What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> Usually used in stews. I really like lamb neck, and from the net:
>>
>> Preparation
>> Cooking the meat on the bone will add more flavour to the dish and is
>> the most economical way of using this cut. Use it as a substitute for
>> oxtail or any other stewing meat, or cook it in the traditional
>> dishes
>> of Irish stew and Lancashire hot pot.
>>

> Hi Cheri,
>
> Thank you! Thank does explain it.
>
> Anyone have a suggestion on how to cook a "paleolithic" (NIDDM) stew?
>
> ===================================
>
> Use any veggies you like and can tolerate bg-wise. Garlic and onion
> are
> the core of mine. Then celery, carrots (if you tolerate), cabbage, bit
> of red wine. Stock if you want or just a bit of water. No need to
> thicken unless you want to. Nice in a slow cooker if you have one. Add
> faster cooking veggies close to the end, like mushrooms, zuchini etc.

Hi Ozgirl,

Thank you! This will be an adventure.

I wonder how a turnip would go?

=========================

I add them personally. Always have, even when insulin resistance was at
its worst. In a large soup (I cook enough to last a few days) the
individual serving of turnip is small. I made soup yesterday actually. 2
litres of a good quality vegetable stock, onions, garlic, carrots,
celery (including the leaves), shredded cabbage, crushed tomatoes, a can
of red kidney beans and a can of lentils. I normally use fresh lentils
but had a can in the pantry for some reason so used it up. I also put in
6 sliced German frankfurts and a good lot of smoked paprika. Had no
turnip in the house this time around.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/20/2013 05:01 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 06/19/2013 04:38 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "Todd" wrote in message ...

>>> Usually used in stews. I really like lamb neck, and from the net:
>>>
>>> Preparation
>>> Cooking the meat on the bone will add more flavour to the dish and is
>>> the most economical way of using this cut. Use it as a substitute for
>>> oxtail or any other stewing meat, or cook it in the traditional dishes
>>> of Irish stew and Lancashire hot pot.
>>>

>> Hi Cheri,
>>
>> Thank you! Thank does explain it.
>>
>> Anyone have a suggestion on how to cook a "paleolithic" (NIDDM) stew?
>>
>> ===================================
>>
>> Use any veggies you like and can tolerate bg-wise. Garlic and onion are
>> the core of mine. Then celery, carrots (if you tolerate), cabbage, bit
>> of red wine. Stock if you want or just a bit of water. No need to
>> thicken unless you want to. Nice in a slow cooker if you have one. Add
>> faster cooking veggies close to the end, like mushrooms, zuchini etc.
>>

> Hi Ozgirl,
>
> Thank you! This will be an adventure.
>
> I wonder how a turnip would go?
>
> =========================
>
> I add them personally. Always have, even when insulin resistance was at
> its worst. In a large soup (I cook enough to last a few days) the
> individual serving of turnip is small. I made soup yesterday actually. 2
> litres of a good quality vegetable stock, onions, garlic, carrots,
> celery (including the leaves), shredded cabbage, crushed tomatoes, a can
> of red kidney beans and a can of lentils. I normally use fresh lentils
> but had a can in the pantry for some reason so used it up. I also put in
> 6 sliced German frankfurts and a good lot of smoked paprika. Had no
> turnip in the house this time around.

Excellent. Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/20/2013 05:03 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 06/20/2013 05:01 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 06/19/2013 04:38 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Hi Cheri,
>>>
>>> Thank you! Thank does explain it.
>>>
>>> Anyone have a suggestion on how to cook a "paleolithic" (NIDDM) stew?
>>>
>>> ===================================
>>>
>>> Use any veggies you like and can tolerate bg-wise. Garlic and onion are
>>> the core of mine. Then celery, carrots (if you tolerate), cabbage, bit
>>> of red wine. Stock if you want or just a bit of water. No need to
>>> thicken unless you want to. Nice in a slow cooker if you have one. Add
>>> faster cooking veggies close to the end, like mushrooms, zuchini etc.
>>>

>> Hi Ozgirl,
>>
>> Thank you! This will be an adventure.
>>
>> I wonder how a turnip would go?
>>
>> =========================
>>
>> I add them personally. Always have, even when insulin resistance was at
>> its worst. In a large soup (I cook enough to last a few days) the
>> individual serving of turnip is small. I made soup yesterday actually. 2
>> litres of a good quality vegetable stock, onions, garlic, carrots,
>> celery (including the leaves), shredded cabbage, crushed tomatoes, a can
>> of red kidney beans and a can of lentils. I normally use fresh lentils
>> but had a can in the pantry for some reason so used it up. I also put in
>> 6 sliced German frankfurts and a good lot of smoked paprika. Had no
>> turnip in the house this time around.
>>

> Excellent. Thank you!

After the soup cooks, do I just let it cool, fish ou the lamp neck,
separate the meat from the bones, toss the meat back in, and toss
the bones in the bin?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 06/20/2013 05:03 PM, Todd wrote:
>> On 06/20/2013 05:01 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> Hi Ozgirl,
>>>
>>> Thank you! This will be an adventure.
>>>
>>> I wonder how a turnip would go?
>>>
>>> =========================
>>>
>>> I add them personally. Always have, even when insulin resistance was at
>>> its worst. In a large soup (I cook enough to last a few days) the
>>> individual serving of turnip is small. I made soup yesterday actually. 2
>>> litres of a good quality vegetable stock, onions, garlic, carrots,
>>> celery (including the leaves), shredded cabbage, crushed tomatoes, a can
>>> of red kidney beans and a can of lentils. I normally use fresh lentils
>>> but had a can in the pantry for some reason so used it up. I also put in
>>> 6 sliced German frankfurts and a good lot of smoked paprika. Had no
>>> turnip in the house this time around.
>>>

>> Excellent. Thank you!

> After the soup cooks, do I just let it cool, fish ou the lamp neck,
> separate the meat from the bones, toss the meat back in, and toss
> the bones in the bin?

Yes.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

After the soup cooks, do I just let it cool, fish ou the lamp neck,
separate the meat from the bones, toss the meat back in, and toss
the bones in the bin?

=================================

If I do soup with bones I ladle the soup into bowls, put the bowls on
dinner plates and put a serve of meaty bones on the dinner plate along
with crusty bread and butter for those that want it. If I was using lamb
shanks or a smoked ham hock I would fish them out and cut the meat off
and toss it back into the slow cooker. I would then attack the bones,
always have been a bone attacker, lol. My kids leave meat on their bones
all the time!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/20/2013 05:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>

> After the soup cooks, do I just let it cool, fish ou the lamp neck,
> separate the meat from the bones, toss the meat back in, and toss
> the bones in the bin?
>
> =================================
>
> If I do soup with bones I ladle the soup into bowls, put the bowls on
> dinner plates and put a serve of meaty bones on the dinner plate along
> with crusty bread and butter for those that want it. If I was using lamb
> shanks or a smoked ham hock I would fish them out and cut the meat off
> and toss it back into the slow cooker. I would then attack the bones,
> always have been a bone attacker, lol. My kids leave meat on their bones
> all the time!

Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/20/2013 05:22 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message

>>> Excellent. Thank you!

>> After the soup cooks, do I just let it cool, fish ou the lamp neck,
>> separate the meat from the bones, toss the meat back in, and toss
>> the bones in the bin?

> Yes.
>
> Cheri

Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>

> After the soup cooks, do I just let it cool, fish ou the lamp neck,
> separate the meat from the bones, toss the meat back in, and toss
> the bones in the bin?
>
> =================================
>
> If I do soup with bones I ladle the soup into bowls, put the bowls on
> dinner plates and put a serve of meaty bones on the dinner plate along
> with crusty bread and butter for those that want it. If I was using lamb
> shanks or a smoked ham hock I would fish them out and cut the meat off and
> toss it back into the slow cooker. I would then attack the bones, always
> have been a bone attacker, lol. My kids leave meat on their bones all the
> time!

Well, lamb neck is a little bony for that, and if it's cooked till tender
pretty much falls off the little bones, but to each their own. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/20/2013 05:31 PM, Cheri wrote:
> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>>

>> After the soup cooks, do I just let it cool, fish ou the lamp neck,
>> separate the meat from the bones, toss the meat back in, and toss
>> the bones in the bin?
>>
>> =================================
>>
>> If I do soup with bones I ladle the soup into bowls, put the bowls on
>> dinner plates and put a serve of meaty bones on the dinner plate along
>> with crusty bread and butter for those that want it. If I was using
>> lamb shanks or a smoked ham hock I would fish them out and cut the
>> meat off and toss it back into the slow cooker. I would then attack
>> the bones, always have been a bone attacker, lol. My kids leave meat
>> on their bones all the time!

> Well, lamb neck is a little bony for that, and if it's cooked till
> tender pretty much falls off the little bones, but to each their own. :-)
>
> Cheri

Hi Cheri,

I was wondering about that. Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 06/20/2013 05:31 PM, Cheri wrote:
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>>>

>>> After the soup cooks, do I just let it cool, fish ou the lamp neck,
>>> separate the meat from the bones, toss the meat back in, and toss
>>> the bones in the bin?
>>>
>>> =================================
>>>
>>> If I do soup with bones I ladle the soup into bowls, put the bowls on
>>> dinner plates and put a serve of meaty bones on the dinner plate along
>>> with crusty bread and butter for those that want it. If I was using
>>> lamb shanks or a smoked ham hock I would fish them out and cut the
>>> meat off and toss it back into the slow cooker. I would then attack
>>> the bones, always have been a bone attacker, lol. My kids leave meat
>>> on their bones all the time!

>> Well, lamb neck is a little bony for that, and if it's cooked till
>> tender pretty much falls off the little bones, but to each their own. :-)
>>
>> Cheri

> Hi Cheri,
>
> I was wondering about that. Thank you!

Good grief, they are bones, fresh from cooking and full of
cartilage, texture, and some form of savorable substance.
Keep them hot and moist, and serve them. Any bone
so cooked is better than no bone. Tell your guests to
lick and suck them. If no one likes them ah well. If
at least one loves them, a palpable success.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"pavane" > wrote in message

> "Todd" > wrote in message

>>> Well, lamb neck is a little bony for that, and if it's cooked till
>>> tender pretty much falls off the little bones, but to each their own.
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> Hi Cheri,
>>
>> I was wondering about that. Thank you!

> Good grief, they are bones, fresh from cooking and full of
> cartilage, texture, and some form of savorable substance.
> Keep them hot and moist, and serve them. Any bone
> so cooked is better than no bone. Tell your guests to
> lick and suck them. If no one likes them ah well. If
> at least one loves them, a palpable success.
>
> pavane

I wouldn't do that with neck bones in stew, and I've never had a guest that
would lick and suck them...thankfully. YMMV

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: Hi All,

: It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
: (Love my customers.)

: This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
: grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
: figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
: heard of.

: What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?

: Many thanks,
: -T
It is the neck of the lamb. Usually quite boney with som etender meal on
it. Often used in stews, etc. Beef neck is also used much the same way,
bu tthe whole scale is larger.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl > wrote:

: "Todd" wrote in message ...

: On 06/19/2013 10:55 AM, Cheri wrote:
: > "Todd" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> Hi All,
: >>
: >> It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
: >> (Love my customers.)
: >>
: >> This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
: >> grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
: >> figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
: >> heard of.
: >>
: >> What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?
: >>
: >> Many thanks,
: >> -T
: >
: >

: ===================================

: Use any veggies you like and can tolerate bg-wise. Garlic and onion are
: the core of mine. Then celery, carrots (if you tolerate), cabbage, bit
: of red wine. Stock if you want or just a bit of water. No need to
: thicken unless you want to. Nice in a slow cooker if you have one. Add
: faster cooking veggies close to the end, like mushrooms, zuchini etc.

I like tomates in my stew also I use peeled white turnip in place of
potatoes and lots of herbs of whtever you like.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/23/2013 05:43 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Ozgirl > wrote:
>

> : "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> : On 06/19/2013 10:55 AM, Cheri wrote:
> : > "Todd" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >> Hi All,
> : >>
> : >> It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
> : >> (Love my customers.)
> : >>
> : >> This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
> : >> grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
> : >> figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
> : >> heard of.
> : >>
> : >> What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?
> : >>
> : >> Many thanks,
> : >> -T
> : >
> : >
> : > Usually used in stews. I really like lamb neck, and from the net:
> : >
> : > Preparation
> : > Cooking the meat on the bone will add more flavour to the dish and is
> : > the most economical way of using this cut. Use it as a substitute for
> : > oxtail or any other stewing meat, or cook it in the traditional dishes
> : > of Irish stew and Lancashire hot pot.
> : >
>
> : Hi Cheri,
>
> : Thank you! Thank does explain it.
>
> : Anyone have a suggestion on how to cook a "paleolithic" (NIDDM) stew?
>
> : ===================================
>
> : Use any veggies you like and can tolerate bg-wise. Garlic and onion are
> : the core of mine. Then celery, carrots (if you tolerate), cabbage, bit
> : of red wine. Stock if you want or just a bit of water. No need to
> : thicken unless you want to. Nice in a slow cooker if you have one. Add
> : faster cooking veggies close to the end, like mushrooms, zuchini etc.
>

> I like tomates in my stew also I use peeled white turnip in place of
> potatoes and lots of herbs of whtever you like.
>
> Wendy

Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/23/2013 05:41 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
> : (Love my customers.)
>
> : This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
> : grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
> : figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
> : heard of.
>
> : What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?
>
> : Many thanks,
> : -T
> It is the neck of the lamb. Usually quite boney with som etender meal on
> it. Often used in stews, etc. Beef neck is also used much the same way,
> bu tthe whole scale is larger.
>
> Wendy

Thank you!

"Denver cut" lamb ribs Zz Yzx Barbecue 2 26-05-2012 05:22 PM
Lamb "Nachos" notbob[_5_] General Cooking 4 27-04-2011 06:06 AM
Trader Joe's "Burgundy Pepper Boneless Lamb Leg" Theron General Cooking 0 03-01-2009 09:55 PM
FDA says "no" in Tomato connection to reduced cancer risk: From "Sham vs. Wham: The Health Insider" D. Vegan 0 11-07-2007 05:29 PM