Old 21-06-2013, 06:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What is "Lamb neck"?

"pavane" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message
On 06/20/2013 05:31 PM, Cheri wrote:
"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message ...

After the soup cooks, do I just let it cool, fish ou the lamp neck,
separate the meat from the bones, toss the meat back in, and toss
the bones in the bin?

=================================

If I do soup with bones I ladle the soup into bowls, put the bowls on
dinner plates and put a serve of meaty bones on the dinner plate along
with crusty bread and butter for those that want it. If I was using
lamb shanks or a smoked ham hock I would fish them out and cut the
meat off and toss it back into the slow cooker. I would then attack
the bones, always have been a bone attacker, lol. My kids leave meat
on their bones all the time!

Well, lamb neck is a little bony for that, and if it's cooked till
tender pretty much falls off the little bones, but to each their own.
:-)

Cheri

Hi Cheri,

I was wondering about that. Thank you!

Good grief, they are bones, fresh from cooking and full of
cartilage, texture, and some form of savorable substance.
Keep them hot and moist, and serve them. Any bone
so cooked is better than no bone. Tell your guests to
lick and suck them. If no one likes them ah well. If
at least one loves them, a palpable success.

pavane

I wouldn't do that with neck bones in stew, and I've never had a guest that
would lick and suck them...thankfully. YMMV

Cheri

Old 24-06-2013, 01:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: Hi All,

: It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
: (Love my customers.)

: This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
: grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
: figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
: heard of.

: What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?

: Many thanks,
: -T
It is the neck of the lamb. Usually quite boney with som etender meal on
it. Often used in stews, etc. Beef neck is also used much the same way,
bu tthe whole scale is larger.

Wendy
Old 24-06-2013, 01:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

: "Todd" wrote in message ...

: On 06/19/2013 10:55 AM, Cheri wrote:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi All,
:
: It happened again. Left a customer's site with "food".
: (Love my customers.)
:
: This time, he had a freezer full of six month old, locally
: grass fed, lamb. Now the package labeled "chops" I can
: figure out. But the one labels "1/2 lamb neck": never
: heard of.
:
: What is a "1/2 lamb neck"? And, how do you cook it?
:
: Many thanks,
: -T
:
:
: Usually used in stews. I really like lamb neck, and from the net:
:
: Preparation
: Cooking the meat on the bone will add more flavour to the dish and is
: the most economical way of using this cut. Use it as a substitute for
: oxtail or any other stewing meat, or cook it in the traditional dishes
: of Irish stew and Lancashire hot pot.
:

: Hi Cheri,

: Thank you! Thank does explain it.

: Anyone have a suggestion on how to cook a "paleolithic" (NIDDM) stew?

: ===================================

: Use any veggies you like and can tolerate bg-wise. Garlic and onion are
: the core of mine. Then celery, carrots (if you tolerate), cabbage, bit
: of red wine. Stock if you want or just a bit of water. No need to
: thicken unless you want to. Nice in a slow cooker if you have one. Add
: faster cooking veggies close to the end, like mushrooms, zuchini etc.

I like tomates in my stew also I use peeled white turnip in place of
potatoes and lots of herbs of whtever you like.

Wendy
Old 24-06-2013, 06:55 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/23/2013 05:43 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Ozgirl wrote:

: "Todd" wrote in message ...

: On 06/19/2013 10:55 AM, Cheri wrote:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
: Hi All,
:
[...]

Thank you!

"Denver cut" lamb ribs Zz Yzx Barbecue 2 26-05-2012 05:22 PM
Lamb "Nachos" notbob[_5_] General Cooking 4 27-04-2011 06:06 AM
Trader Joe's "Burgundy Pepper Boneless Lamb Leg" Theron General Cooking 0 03-01-2009 08:55 PM
FDA says "no" in Tomato connection to reduced cancer risk: From "Sham vs. Wham: The Health Insider" D. Vegan 0 11-07-2007 05:29 PM