Old 10-06-2013, 09:38 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eat the Weed!

Hi All,

My favorite weed: Purslane.

Great for us.
Cooked: 1 cup, 4 grams carb
Raw (my favorite): 1 cup, 1 gram carb

According to tis proponents, it is the single most
nutritious plant on the face of this earth. More
Omega 3 that even fish oil.

http://www.prairielandcsa.org/recipes/purslane.html

Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Blog) has a nice write
up and picture too:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/purslane/

The stuff grows in my rocks all around my house.
I don't water it. I step on it. No TLC whatsoever.

Love to eat it raw. In salads, on burgers, just
by itself. Tastes a little bit like watercress.
And, I always feel better when I eat this weed.
My Wife's eyes sparkle when I pick and wash her
up a hand full. It doesn't last more than a few
minutes in the house.

Okay, for those of you who haven't gone through
an Economic Botany course in college, a weed it not
what you think it is:

1) It must be a previous agricultural "discard"
(Dandelions, plantain are other good examples).

2) its seeds must be very small or mimic those
of other seeds. (Purslane's are really small.)

3) it must grow on "disturbed" soil, like were I
walk. (Ever notice that Dandelions grow in cow
pastures but not on wild land?)

So, EAT THE WEED! (I will control myself, eventually.)

-T

One person's weed, is another persons delicacy!

Old 10-06-2013, 10:14 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/10/2013 01:38 PM, Todd wrote:
The stuff grows in my rocks all around my house.
I don't water it. I step on it. No TLC whatsoever.

Here is a tip, if you grow it. When you pick it, give
it a couple of good shakes. The tiny seeds will fly
all over the place and reseed you next year!

The weather got too hot last year and mine bolted
on me. It was a sad day.
Old 16-06-2013, 04:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

[...]

Hypoglycemic Effects of Crude Polysaccharide from Purslane:

This was on mice.

Eat the Weed!!!

-T
Old 17-06-2013, 11:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

[...]

This works with dandelions, and other "weeds" as well.
http://www.ediblewildfood.com/edible-weeds.aspx
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 18-06-2013, 12:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/17/2013 03:24 PM, Billy wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

[...]

Hi Billy,

Great link. Thank you!

From Billy's link, a poisonous plant that looks like
Purslane TO AVOID: Hairy-Stemmed Spurge
http://www.ediblewildfood.com/poison...ts.aspx#spurge

Raley's has started selling Organic Dandelion greens,
but I have held off as as Dandelion makes you pee
and I have enough trouble with peeing and NIDDM.

Picked a bag of Purslane from the garden this weekend.
And, I have my first tiny, green tomato showing!

-T

Old 18-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

My favorite weed: Purslane.

Great for us.
Cooked: 1 cup, 4 grams carb
Raw (my favorite): 1 cup, 1 gram carb

According to tis proponents, it is the single most
nutritious plant on the face of this earth. More
Omega 3 that even fish oil.

Purslane Recipes from Prairieland Community Supported Agriculture, Prairieland CSA, PCSA, Champaign, Illinois

Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Blog) has a nice write
up and picture too:

Why Does the FDA Call This Omega-3-Rich Green a Weed? | Mark's Daily Apple

[...]

Wow never even heard of that stuff. Swear hanging out on here is a little going to night school at college. Sorry to hear about the weed definition. Im thinking of one which aint never been an aggie discard..got nice sized seeds and dont like having its soil messed with too much. Somebody will need to rename Wacky Weed..hmmm
Old 18-06-2013, 11:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Daily Apple' (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/purslane/)

[...]

"A weed is but an unloved flower."
- Ella Wilcox

"What is a weed? A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been
discovered."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 19-06-2013, 08:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:

In article ,
bigwheel wrote:

Todd;1839892 Wrote:
[...]

A grandchild invited herself and her sister to grandma's nettle soup. A
little late in the season, but grandpa went out to pick the raw materials,
grandma made spinach soup with stinging nettle instead of spinach, with
delicious result. Also with more vitamins and other good stuff. Try it next
spring - pick the tips before they sprout flowers! Nettle was also used as a
source of textile fiber - in the fall, so don't wait too long to try.

Old 19-06-2013, 06:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/18/2013 03:19 PM, Billy wrote:
"What is a weed? A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been
discovered."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh he blew that one! A weed is an "agricultural discard". Meaning,
its virtues "were" discovered and rejected.

I know, he was just trying to be clever and succeed well at it.
I will stop babbling now.

-T
Old 19-06-2013, 06:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/18/2013 09:44 AM, bigwheel wrote:
Swear hanging out on here is a
little going to night school at college

Hi Bigwheel,

What?!?! Never heard of such a thing! College
class??? Why, Why. I do rather protest! :-)

-T

p.s. there will be a test covering chapter 3 on Friday.

Old 19-06-2013, 07:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

On 06/18/2013 03:19 PM, Billy wrote:
"What is a weed? A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been
discovered."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh he blew that one! A weed is an "agricultural discard". Meaning,
its virtues "were" discovered and rejected.

I know, he was just trying to be clever and succeed well at it.
I will stop babbling now.

-T

Thanks.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 19-06-2013, 07:50 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Bjrn Steensrud wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article ,
bigwheel wrote:

Todd;1839892 Wrote:
[...]

Late in the season?! My god, did they have to do a tonguectomy? I
thought that once nettles became painful, all you could do was make tea
with them. It's not that bad. Stinging Nettle is also supposed to be
very good as a companion plant for bringing out the flavors of culinary
herbs.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.
Old 20-06-2013, 07:26 AM
Experienced Member

Location: New York

[...]

Not really on with stuffs like this. But if it's healthy then I'll consider eating it.
Old 20-06-2013, 09:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bj�rn Steensrud wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article ,
bigwheel wrote:

Todd;1839892 Wrote:
[...]

:-)
Thanks for the tea tip!

To prepare for soup, just dip in boiling water until soft - a few seconds -
then chop, or run in blender, also a few seconds. Then proceed as with
spinach. "Late in the season" means that the lower part of the stems are
developing fibers, similar to linen fibers. Cloth is made from nettles in
much the same way as linen, but much softer,
closer to cotton in feel. Has probably been used that way for about 4000
years ...

Old 20-06-2013, 06:19 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Bjørn Steensrud wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article ,
Bj?rn Steensrud wrote:

Billy wrote:

In article ,
bigwheel wrote:

Todd;1839892 Wrote:
[...]

Just to make sure that we are all on the same page, we are talking about
stinging nettles (Urtica dioica), right? THere are all sorts of nettles.
Nettles constitute between twenty-four and thirty-nine species of
flowering plants of the genus Urtica in the family Urticaceae, with
mainly a temperate distribution.

More . . .

http://www.thekitchn.com/stinging-nettles-8-recipes-for-145582

Stinging Nettles: 8 Recipes for Spring Cooking

(Makes my mouth hurt just thinking about it.)
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.