Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Eat the Weed!

Hi All,

My favorite weed: Purslane.

Great for us.
Cooked: 1 cup, 4 grams carb
Raw (my favorite): 1 cup, 1 gram carb

According to tis proponents, it is the single most
nutritious plant on the face of this earth. More
Omega 3 that even fish oil.

http://www.prairielandcsa.org/recipes/purslane.html

Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Blog) has a nice write
up and picture too:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/purslane/

The stuff grows in my rocks all around my house.
I don't water it. I step on it. No TLC whatsoever.

Love to eat it raw. In salads, on burgers, just
by itself. Tastes a little bit like watercress.
And, I always feel better when I eat this weed.
My Wife's eyes sparkle when I pick and wash her
up a hand full. It doesn't last more than a few
minutes in the house.

Okay, for those of you who haven't gone through
an Economic Botany course in college, a weed it not
what you think it is:

1) It must be a previous agricultural "discard"
(Dandelions, plantain are other good examples).

2) its seeds must be very small or mimic those
of other seeds. (Purslane's are really small.)

3) it must grow on "disturbed" soil, like were I
walk. (Ever notice that Dandelions grow in cow
pastures but not on wild land?)

So, EAT THE WEED! (I will control myself, eventually.)

-T

One person's weed, is another persons delicacy!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/10/2013 01:38 PM, Todd wrote:
> The stuff grows in my rocks all around my house.
> I don't water it. I step on it. No TLC whatsoever.

Here is a tip, if you grow it. When you pick it, give
it a couple of good shakes. The tiny seeds will fly
all over the place and reseed you next year!

The weather got too hot last year and mine bolted
on me. It was a sad day.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/10/2013 01:38 PM, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> My favorite weed: Purslane.
>
> Great for us.
> Cooked: 1 cup, 4 grams carb
> Raw (my favorite): 1 cup, 1 gram carb
>
> According to tis proponents, it is the single most
> nutritious plant on the face of this earth. More
> Omega 3 that even fish oil.
>
> http://www.prairielandcsa.org/recipes/purslane.html
>
> Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Blog) has a nice write
> up and picture too:
>
> http://www.marksdailyapple.com/purslane/
>
> The stuff grows in my rocks all around my house.
> I don't water it. I step on it. No TLC whatsoever.
>
> Love to eat it raw. In salads, on burgers, just
> by itself. Tastes a little bit like watercress.
> And, I always feel better when I eat this weed.
> My Wife's eyes sparkle when I pick and wash her
> up a hand full. It doesn't last more than a few
> minutes in the house.
>
> Okay, for those of you who haven't gone through
> an Economic Botany course in college, a weed it not
> what you think it is:
>
> 1) It must be a previous agricultural "discard"
> (Dandelions, plantain are other good examples).
>
> 2) its seeds must be very small or mimic those
> of other seeds. (Purslane's are really small.)
>
> 3) it must grow on "disturbed" soil, like were I
> walk. (Ever notice that Dandelions grow in cow
> pastures but not on wild land?)
>
> So, EAT THE WEED! (I will control myself, eventually.)
>
> -T
>
> One person's weed, is another persons delicacy!

Hypoglycemic Effects of Crude Polysaccharide from Purslane:

This was on mice.

Eat the Weed!!!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 06/10/2013 01:38 PM, Todd wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My favorite weed: Purslane.
> >
> > Great for us.
> > Cooked: 1 cup, 4 grams carb
> > Raw (my favorite): 1 cup, 1 gram carb
> >
> > According to tis proponents, it is the single most
> > nutritious plant on the face of this earth. More
> > Omega 3 that even fish oil.
> >
> > http://www.prairielandcsa.org/recipes/purslane.html
> >
> > Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Blog) has a nice write
> > up and picture too:
> >
> > http://www.marksdailyapple.com/purslane/
> >
> > The stuff grows in my rocks all around my house.
> > I don't water it. I step on it. No TLC whatsoever.
> >
> > Love to eat it raw. In salads, on burgers, just
> > by itself. Tastes a little bit like watercress.
> > And, I always feel better when I eat this weed.
> > My Wife's eyes sparkle when I pick and wash her
> > up a hand full. It doesn't last more than a few
> > minutes in the house.
> >
> > Okay, for those of you who haven't gone through
> > an Economic Botany course in college, a weed it not
> > what you think it is:
> >
> > 1) It must be a previous agricultural "discard"
> > (Dandelions, plantain are other good examples).
> >
> > 2) its seeds must be very small or mimic those
> > of other seeds. (Purslane's are really small.)
> >
> > 3) it must grow on "disturbed" soil, like were I
> > walk. (Ever notice that Dandelions grow in cow
> > pastures but not on wild land?)
> >
> > So, EAT THE WEED! (I will control myself, eventually.)
> >
> > -T
> >
> > One person's weed, is another persons delicacy!
> >

> Hypoglycemic Effects of Crude Polysaccharide from Purslane:
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2672007/
>
> This was on mice.
>
> Eat the Weed!!!
>
> -T

This works with dandelions, and other "weeds" as well.
<http://www.ediblewildfood.com/edible-weeds.aspx>
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/17/2013 03:24 PM, Billy wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/10/2013 01:38 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> My favorite weed: Purslane.
>>>
>>> Great for us.
>>> Cooked: 1 cup, 4 grams carb
>>> Raw (my favorite): 1 cup, 1 gram carb
>>>
>>> According to tis proponents, it is the single most
>>> nutritious plant on the face of this earth. More
>>> Omega 3 that even fish oil.
>>>
>>> http://www.prairielandcsa.org/recipes/purslane.html
>>>
>>> Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Blog) has a nice write
>>> up and picture too:
>>>
>>> http://www.marksdailyapple.com/purslane/
>>>
>>> The stuff grows in my rocks all around my house.
>>> I don't water it. I step on it. No TLC whatsoever.
>>>
>>> Love to eat it raw. In salads, on burgers, just
>>> by itself. Tastes a little bit like watercress.
>>> And, I always feel better when I eat this weed.
>>> My Wife's eyes sparkle when I pick and wash her
>>> up a hand full. It doesn't last more than a few
>>> minutes in the house.
>>>
>>> Okay, for those of you who haven't gone through
>>> an Economic Botany course in college, a weed it not
>>> what you think it is:
>>>
>>> 1) It must be a previous agricultural "discard"
>>> (Dandelions, plantain are other good examples).
>>>
>>> 2) its seeds must be very small or mimic those
>>> of other seeds. (Purslane's are really small.)
>>>
>>> 3) it must grow on "disturbed" soil, like were I
>>> walk. (Ever notice that Dandelions grow in cow
>>> pastures but not on wild land?)
>>>
>>> So, EAT THE WEED! (I will control myself, eventually.)
>>>
>>> -T
>>>
>>> One person's weed, is another persons delicacy!
>>>

>> Hypoglycemic Effects of Crude Polysaccharide from Purslane:
>> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2672007/
>>
>> This was on mice.
>>
>> Eat the Weed!!!
>>
>> -T

> This works with dandelions, and other "weeds" as well.
> <http://www.ediblewildfood.com/edible-weeds.aspx>

Hi Billy,

Great link. Thank you!

From Billy's link, a poisonous plant that looks like
Purslane TO AVOID: Hairy-Stemmed Spurge
http://www.ediblewildfood.com/poison...ts.aspx#spurge

Raley's has started selling Organic Dandelion greens,
but I have held off as as Dandelion makes you pee
and I have enough trouble with peeing and NIDDM.

Picked a bag of Purslane from the garden this weekend.
And, I have my first tiny, green tomato showing!

-T

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

My favorite weed: Purslane.

Great for us.
Cooked: 1 cup, 4 grams carb
Raw (my favorite): 1 cup, 1 gram carb

According to tis proponents, it is the single most
nutritious plant on the face of this earth. More
Omega 3 that even fish oil.

Purslane Recipes from Prairieland Community Supported Agriculture, Prairieland CSA, PCSA, Champaign, Illinois

Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Blog) has a nice write
up and picture too:

Why Does the FDA Call This Omega-3-Rich Green a Weed? | Mark's Daily Apple

[...]

Wow never even heard of that stuff. Swear hanging out on here is a little going to night school at college. Sorry to hear about the weed definition. Im thinking of one which aint never been an aggie discard..got nice sized seeds and dont like having its soil messed with too much. Somebody will need to rename Wacky Weed..hmmm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
bigwheel > wrote:

> Todd;1839892 Wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > My favorite weed: Purslane.
> >
> > Great for us.
> > Cooked: 1 cup, 4 grams carb
> > Raw (my favorite): 1 cup, 1 gram carb
> >
> > According to tis proponents, it is the single most
> > nutritious plant on the face of this earth. More
> > Omega 3 that even fish oil.
> >
> > 'Purslane Recipes from Prairieland Community Supported Agriculture,
> > Prairieland CSA, PCSA, Champaign, Illinois'
> > (http://www.prairielandcsa.org/recipes/purslane.html)
> >
> > Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Blog) has a nice write
> > up and picture too:
> >
> > 'Why Does the FDA Call This Omega-3-Rich Green a Weed? | Mark's
> > Daily Apple' (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/purslane/)
> >
> > The stuff grows in my rocks all around my house.
> > I don't water it. I step on it. No TLC whatsoever.
> >
> > Love to eat it raw. In salads, on burgers, just
> > by itself. Tastes a little bit like watercress.
> > And, I always feel better when I eat this weed.
> > My Wife's eyes sparkle when I pick and wash her
> > up a hand full. It doesn't last more than a few
> > minutes in the house.
> >
> > Okay, for those of you who haven't gone through
> > an Economic Botany course in college, a weed it not
> > what you think it is:
> >
> > 1) It must be a previous agricultural "discard"
> > (Dandelions, plantain are other good examples).
> >
> > 2) its seeds must be very small or mimic those
> > of other seeds. (Purslane's are really small.)
> >
> > 3) it must grow on "disturbed" soil, like were I
> > walk. (Ever notice that Dandelions grow in cow
> > pastures but not on wild land?)
> >
> > So, EAT THE WEED! (I will control myself, eventually.)
> >
> > -T
> >
> > One person's weed, is another persons delicacy!

> Wow never even heard of that stuff. Swear hanging out on here is a
> little going to night school at college. Sorry to hear about the weed
> definition. Im thinking of one which aint never been an aggie
> discard..got nice sized seeds and dont like having its soil messed with
> too much. Somebody will need to rename Wacky Weed..hmmm

"A weed is but an unloved flower."
- Ella Wilcox

"What is a weed? A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been
discovered."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:

> In article >,
> bigwheel > wrote:
>
>> Todd;1839892 Wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > My favorite weed: Purslane.
>> >
>> > Great for us.
>> > Cooked: 1 cup, 4 grams carb
>> > Raw (my favorite): 1 cup, 1 gram carb
>> >
>> > According to tis proponents, it is the single most
>> > nutritious plant on the face of this earth. More
>> > Omega 3 that even fish oil.
>> >
>> > 'Purslane Recipes from Prairieland Community Supported Agriculture,
>> > Prairieland CSA, PCSA, Champaign, Illinois'
>> > (http://www.prairielandcsa.org/recipes/purslane.html)
>> >
>> > Mark Sisson (Mark's Daily Blog) has a nice write
>> > up and picture too:
>> >
>> > 'Why Does the FDA Call This Omega-3-Rich Green a Weed? | Mark's
>> > Daily Apple' (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/purslane/)
>> >
>> > The stuff grows in my rocks all around my house.
>> > I don't water it. I step on it. No TLC whatsoever.
>> >
>> > Love to eat it raw. In salads, on burgers, just
>> > by itself. Tastes a little bit like watercress.
>> > And, I always feel better when I eat this weed.
>> > My Wife's eyes sparkle when I pick and wash her
>> > up a hand full. It doesn't last more than a few
>> > minutes in the house.
>> >
>> > Okay, for those of you who haven't gone through
>> > an Economic Botany course in college, a weed it not
>> > what you think it is:
>> >
>> > 1) It must be a previous agricultural "discard"
>> > (Dandelions, plantain are other good examples).
>> >
>> > 2) its seeds must be very small or mimic those
>> > of other seeds. (Purslane's are really small.)
>> >
>> > 3) it must grow on "disturbed" soil, like were I
>> > walk. (Ever notice that Dandelions grow in cow
>> > pastures but not on wild land?)
>> >
>> > So, EAT THE WEED! (I will control myself, eventually.)
>> >

>> > One person's weed, is another persons delicacy!

>> Wow never even heard of that stuff. Swear hanging out on here is a
>> little going to night school at college. Sorry to hear about the weed
>> definition. Im thinking of one which aint never been an aggie
>> discard..got nice sized seeds and dont like having its soil messed with
>> too much. Somebody will need to rename Wacky Weed..hmmm

> "A weed is but an unloved flower."
> - Ella Wilcox
>
> "What is a weed? A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been
> discovered."
> - Ralph Waldo Emerson

A grandchild invited herself and her sister to grandma's nettle soup. A
little late in the season, but grandpa went out to pick the raw materials,
grandma made spinach soup with stinging nettle instead of spinach, with
delicious result. Also with more vitamins and other good stuff. Try it next
spring - pick the tips before they sprout flowers! Nettle was also used as a
source of textile fiber - in the fall, so don't wait too long to try.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/18/2013 03:19 PM, Billy wrote:
> "What is a weed? A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been
> discovered."
> - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oh he blew that one! A weed is an "agricultural discard". Meaning,
its virtues "were" discovered and rejected.

I know, he was just trying to be clever and succeed well at it.
I will stop babbling now.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/18/2013 09:44 AM, bigwheel wrote:
> Swear hanging out on here is a
> little going to night school at college

Hi Bigwheel,

What?!?! Never heard of such a thing! College
class??? Why, Why. I do rather protest! :-)

-T

p.s. there will be a test covering chapter 3 on Friday.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 06/18/2013 03:19 PM, Billy wrote:
> > "What is a weed? A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been
> > discovered."
> > - Ralph Waldo Emerson

> Oh he blew that one! A weed is an "agricultural discard". Meaning,
> its virtues "were" discovered and rejected.
>
> I know, he was just trying to be clever and succeed well at it.
> I will stop babbling now.
>
> -T

Thanks.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:

> Billy wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > bigwheel > wrote:

> >> Wow never even heard of that stuff. Swear hanging out on here is a
> >> little going to night school at college. Sorry to hear about the weed
> >> definition. Im thinking of one which aint never been an aggie
> >> discard..got nice sized seeds and dont like having its soil messed with
> >> too much. Somebody will need to rename Wacky Weed..hmmm

> > "A weed is but an unloved flower."
> > - Ella Wilcox
> >
> > "What is a weed? A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been
> > discovered."
> > - Ralph Waldo Emerson

> A grandchild invited herself and her sister to grandma's nettle soup. A
> little late in the season, but grandpa went out to pick the raw materials,
> grandma made spinach soup with stinging nettle instead of spinach, with
> delicious result. Also with more vitamins and other good stuff. Try it next
> spring - pick the tips before they sprout flowers! Nettle was also used as a
> source of textile fiber - in the fall, so don't wait too long to try.

Late in the season?! My god, did they have to do a tonguectomy? I
thought that once nettles became painful, all you could do was make tea
with them. It's not that bad. Stinging Nettle is also supposed to be
very good as a companion plant for bringing out the flavors of culinary
herbs.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Experienced Member

Location: New York

[...]

Not really on with stuffs like this. But if it's healthy then I'll consider eating it.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:

> In article >,
> Bj�rn Steensrud > wrote:
>
>> Billy wrote:

>> > "A weed is but an unloved flower."
>> > - Ella Wilcox
>> >
>> > "What is a weed? A weed is a plant whose virtues have not yet been
>> > discovered."
>> > - Ralph Waldo Emerson

>> A grandchild invited herself and her sister to grandma's nettle soup. A
>> little late in the season, but grandpa went out to pick the raw
>> materials, grandma made spinach soup with stinging nettle instead of
>> spinach, with delicious result. Also with more vitamins and other good
>> stuff. Try it next spring - pick the tips before they sprout flowers!
>> Nettle was also used as a source of textile fiber - in the fall, so don't
>> wait too long to try.

> Late in the season?! My god, did they have to do a tonguectomy? I
> thought that once nettles became painful, all you could do was make tea
> with them. It's not that bad. Stinging Nettle is also supposed to be
> very good as a companion plant for bringing out the flavors of culinary
> herbs.

:-)
Thanks for the tea tip!

To prepare for soup, just dip in boiling water until soft - a few seconds -
then chop, or run in blender, also a few seconds. Then proceed as with
spinach. "Late in the season" means that the lower part of the stems are
developing fibers, similar to linen fibers. Cloth is made from nettles in
much the same way as linen, but much softer,
closer to cotton in feel. Has probably been used that way for about 4000
years ...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:

> Billy wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:

> >> A grandchild invited herself and her sister to grandma's nettle soup. A
> >> little late in the season, but grandpa went out to pick the raw
> >> materials, grandma made spinach soup with stinging nettle instead of
> >> spinach, with delicious result. Also with more vitamins and other good
> >> stuff. Try it next spring - pick the tips before they sprout flowers!
> >> Nettle was also used as a source of textile fiber - in the fall, so don't
> >> wait too long to try.

> > Late in the season?! My god, did they have to do a tonguectomy? I
> > thought that once nettles became painful, all you could do was make tea
> > with them. It's not that bad. Stinging Nettle is also supposed to be
> > very good as a companion plant for bringing out the flavors of culinary
> > herbs.

> :-)
> Thanks for the tea tip!
>
> To prepare for soup, just dip in boiling water until soft - a few seconds -
> then chop, or run in blender, also a few seconds. Then proceed as with
> spinach. "Late in the season" means that the lower part of the stems are
> developing fibers, similar to linen fibers. Cloth is made from nettles in
> much the same way as linen, but much softer,
> closer to cotton in feel. Has probably been used that way for about 4000
> years ...

Just to make sure that we are all on the same page, we are talking about
stinging nettles (Urtica dioica), right? THere are all sorts of nettles.
Nettles constitute between twenty-four and thirty-nine species of
flowering plants of the genus Urtica in the family Urticaceae, with
mainly a temperate distribution.

More . . .

<http://www.thekitchn.com/stinging-nettles-8-recipes-for-145582>

Stinging Nettles: 8 Recipes for Spring Cooking

(Makes my mouth hurt just thinking about it.)
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:

> In article >,
> Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:
>
>> Billy wrote:

>> > Late in the season?! My god, did they have to do a tonguectomy? I
>> > thought that once nettles became painful, all you could do was make tea
>> > with them. It's not that bad. Stinging Nettle is also supposed to be
>> > very good as a companion plant for bringing out the flavors of culinary
>> > herbs.

>> :-)
>> Thanks for the tea tip!
>>
>> To prepare for soup, just dip in boiling water until soft - a few seconds
>> - then chop, or run in blender, also a few seconds. Then proceed as with
>> spinach. "Late in the season" means that the lower part of the stems are
>> developing fibers, similar to linen fibers. Cloth is made from nettles in
>> much the same way as linen, but much softer,
>> closer to cotton in feel. Has probably been used that way for about 4000
>> years ...

> Just to make sure that we are all on the same page, we are talking about
> stinging nettles (Urtica dioica), right? THere are all sorts of nettles.
> Nettles constitute between twenty-four and thirty-nine species of
> flowering plants of the genus Urtica in the family Urticaceae, with
> mainly a temperate distribution.

Urtica dioica is the one, yes, it's a perennial. Here there's also a small
annual species, Urtica urens, much rarer and also stinging.

> More . . .
>
> <http://www.thekitchn.com/stinging-nettles-8-recipes-for-145582>
>
> Stinging Nettles: 8 Recipes for Spring Cooking

Thank you! Bookmarked.

> (Makes my mouth hurt just thinking about it.)

Why? It's not as if they can still sting after cooking? Unlike chili peppers
that keep burning my mouth for a long time ...

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:

> Billy wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:

> >> :-)
> >> Thanks for the tea tip!
> >>
> >> To prepare for soup, just dip in boiling water until soft - a few seconds
> >> - then chop, or run in blender, also a few seconds. Then proceed as with
> >> spinach. "Late in the season" means that the lower part of the stems are
> >> developing fibers, similar to linen fibers. Cloth is made from nettles in
> >> much the same way as linen, but much softer,
> >> closer to cotton in feel. Has probably been used that way for about 4000
> >> years ...

> > Just to make sure that we are all on the same page, we are talking about
> > stinging nettles (Urtica dioica), right? THere are all sorts of nettles.
> > Nettles constitute between twenty-four and thirty-nine species of
> > flowering plants of the genus Urtica in the family Urticaceae, with
> > mainly a temperate distribution.

> Urtica dioica is the one, yes, it's a perennial. Here there's also a small
> annual species, Urtica urens, much rarer and also stinging.
>
> > More . . .
> >
> > <http://www.thekitchn.com/stinging-nettles-8-recipes-for-145582>
> >
> > Stinging Nettles: 8 Recipes for Spring Cooking

> Thank you! Bookmarked.
>
> > (Makes my mouth hurt just thinking about it.)

> Why? It's not as if they can still sting after cooking? Unlike chili peppers
> that keep burning my mouth for a long time ...

This is going to require a leap of faith, but first I need to feed, and
give more water to my "Stinging Nettle" to increase its yield.
--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:

: A grandchild invited herself and her sister to grandma's nettle soup. A
: little late in the season, but grandpa went out to pick the raw materials,
: grandma made spinach soup with stinging nettle instead of spinach, with
: delicious result. Also with more vitamins and other good stuff. Try it next
: spring - pick the tips before they sprout flowers! Nettle was also used as a
: source of textile fiber - in the fall, so don't wait too long to try.

How were your hands after the harvesting? I have to pull them out of my
garden and used som eold leather gloves, whihc were rotting. My hands
stung for quite a long time! It never occurred to me to eat the da-ned
things as they might do the same for my innards:-)

Wendy-just back form a vacation in chcago

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

> Bj?rn Steensrud > wrote:
>
> : A grandchild invited herself and her sister to grandma's nettle soup. A
> : little late in the season, but grandpa went out to pick the raw
> : materials, grandma made spinach soup with stinging nettle instead of
> : spinach, with delicious result. Also with more vitamins and other good
> : stuff. Try it next spring - pick the tips before they sprout flowers!
> : Nettle was also used as a source of textile fiber - in the fall, so
> : don't wait too long to try.
>
> How were your hands after the harvesting? I have to pull them out of my
> garden and used som eold leather gloves, whihc were rotting. My hands
> stung for quite a long time! It never occurred to me to eat the da-ned
> things as they might do the same for my innards:-)
>
> Wendy-just back form a vacation in chcago

You weren't blown away?:-)

Ordinary gardening gloves are no good, they sting right through the fabric.
I use kitchen gloves - rubber or plastic. Also, wear long-sleeved shirt and
long pants - I had to wade into a meadow not far from here to pick enough.
Two days later the city had mowed it - as it does once a year to sort of
simulate grazing.

And no, the stinging hairs collapse completely and become harmless once
soaked in boiling water. I don't know about the "venom", if any, it's
probably leached out into the water. No time to research it now, sorry

I'm lucky in that if I get stung, the pricking goes away in about 15
minutes, while my wife suffers for up to two hours, so she is very careful
or delegates the job to me.

Bjørn - about to go on vacation
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/23/2013 10:51 PM, Bjørn Steensrud wrote:
> I'm lucky in that if I get stung, the pricking goes away in about 15
> minutes, while my wife suffers for up to two hours, so she is very careful
> or delegates the job to me.

Hi Bjørn,

My wife gets bit all the time. She uses this salve for
relief in about 30 seconds. Plants and bugs are different,
but maybe it would help your wife too.

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/dr-c...-2-oz-ointment

Vacation? Enjoy. Don't catch any fish bigger than the
ones I catch. (If you do, you are allowed to rub it in, but
only a little.)

-T