Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default iodine?

Hi Guys,

Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 26 May 2013 15:34:11 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> wrote:

>Hi Guys,
>
> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
>potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
>to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
>your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
>
>Many thanks,
>-T

Seafood, soy products, dairy products and eggs are sources of iodine.
Anything commercially prepared with salt listed on the label is a
potential source of iodine, as you don't know if the manufacturer used
iodized or non iodized salt.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/26/2013 5:34 PM, Todd wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
> potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
> to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
> your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Spinach and other dark leafy greens.

Todd, you should Google the USDA database. That database will list the
nutrients in every kind of food you will imagine. Every kind of
nutrient, as well.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
> potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
> to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
> your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Vitamins.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet Wilder > wrote:
: On 5/26/2013 5:34 PM, Todd wrote:
: > Hi Guys,
: >
: > Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
: > potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
: > to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
: > your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
: >
: > Many thanks,
: > -T

: Spinach and other dark leafy greens.

: Todd, you should Google the USDA database. That database will list the
: nutrients in every kind of food you will imagine. Every kind of
: nutrient, as well.

: --
: Janet Wilder
: Way-the-heck-south Texas
: Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

How much salt would you put on a given food? How much dextrose are you
likely to find as a tiny part of that small amount of salt? It is likely
that the amount of dextrose in iodized salt is miniscule adn will not
affect your bgs even with your 15 grs pod carb per meal. some things get
to be too fussy to mean anything.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
>> On 5/26/2013 5:34 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
>>> potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
>>> to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
>>> your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> Spinach and other dark leafy greens.

>> Todd, you should Google the USDA database. That database will list
>> the nutrients in every kind of food you will imagine. Every kind of
>> nutrient, as well.

>> --
>> Janet Wilder
>> Way-the-heck-south Texas
>> Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.

> How much salt would you put on a given food? How much dextrose are
> you likely to find as a tiny part of that small amount of salt? It
> is likely that the amount of dextrose in iodized salt is miniscule
> adn will not affect your bgs even with your 15 grs pod carb per meal.
> some things get to be too fussy to mean anything.

Sounds to me like he has a Dextrose allergy.

But really, if you are eating any restaurant meals at all, you're probably
getting some standard salt in there.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 04:24 PM, Karen wrote:
> On Sun, 26 May 2013 15:34:11 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> > wrote:
>
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
>> potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
>> to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
>> your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Seafood, soy products, dairy products and eggs are sources of iodine.
> Anything commercially prepared with salt listed on the label is a
> potential source of iodine, as you don't know if the manufacturer used
> iodized or non iodized salt.

Hi Karen,

We have been looking at Cod and Halibut. Got to figure out
how to cook them first, but I do believe I am almost there.
I think the magic ingredient to convert my fish hating
trophy wife is the brining.

Thank you!
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 04:24 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 5/26/2013 5:34 PM, Todd wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
>> potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
>> to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
>> your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Spinach and other dark leafy greens.
>
> Todd, you should Google the USDA database. That database will list the
> nutrients in every kind of food you will imagine. Every kind of
> nutrient, as well.

Hi Janet,

Thank you!

My wife has been doing that. You get the poisonous (to me)
stuff like potatoes and bananas. Chards are great for iodine.

The thing about produce is that minerals exist in produce
if they existed in the soil first. Now the organic compost I
purchase for my garden has minerals added (they will give
you a list, if you ask), but who knows what you are getting
from the grocery store.

Sea water, on the other hand is pretty homogeneous. Plus
fish tastes great, once you lick it.

So, I thought I would ask real folks how they got their iodine.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 06:33 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Janet Wilder > wrote:
> : On 5/26/2013 5:34 PM, Todd wrote:
> : > Hi Guys,
> : >
> : > Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
> : > potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
> : > to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
> : > your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
> : >
> : > Many thanks,
> : > -T
>
> : Spinach and other dark leafy greens.
>
> : Todd, you should Google the USDA database. That database will list the
> : nutrients in every kind of food you will imagine. Every kind of
> : nutrient, as well.
>
> : --
> : Janet Wilder
> : Way-the-heck-south Texas
> : Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
>
> How much salt would you put on a given food? How much dextrose are you
> likely to find as a tiny part of that small amount of salt? It is likely
> that the amount of dextrose in iodized salt is miniscule adn will not
> affect your bgs even with your 15 grs pod carb per meal. some things get
> to be too fussy to mean anything.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

They are not saying. And, you are probably right. Until I get
better at this stuff, I will be a bit more paranoid than I need
to be.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 03:34 PM, Todd wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
> potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
> to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
> your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Hi All,

Kelp gets huge iodine rating. Problem: kelp = *YUK!!!!*

Anyone know how to make kelp palatable?

Many thanks,
-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 27 May 2013 00:54:39 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
> wrote:

>On 05/26/2013 04:24 PM, Karen wrote:
>> On Sun, 26 May 2013 15:34:11 -0700, in alt.food.diabetic, Todd
>> > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
>>> potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
>>> to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
>>> your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> Seafood, soy products, dairy products and eggs are sources of iodine.
>> Anything commercially prepared with salt listed on the label is a
>> potential source of iodine, as you don't know if the manufacturer used
>> iodized or non iodized salt.
>>

>Hi Karen,
>
>We have been looking at Cod and Halibut. Got to figure out
>how to cook them first, but I do believe I am almost there.
>I think the magic ingredient to convert my fish hating
>trophy wife is the brining.
>
>Thank you!
>-T

I'm happy to hear you found a method of cooking fish that met her
wishes. I have never tried brining, but may give it a try. I
answered about the iodine. I have been on a low iodine diet twice in
preparation for medical tests and treatment so the foods I listed on
my previous message were the ones I had to avoid. It was a bit of a
challenge to actually avoid the iodine.

Have a nice holiday.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi Guys,
>
> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
> potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
> to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
> your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?

Kelp IIRC.

Experienced Member

Location: New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi Guys,

Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?

Many thanks,
-T

Mostly I get my dose of iodine from sea foods like sea bass or cod. You can also find beans as a good source of iodine specially the navy beans.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"elementsresto" > wrote in
message .. .

> Todd;1836972 Wrote:
>> Hi Guys,
>>
>> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
>> potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
>> to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
>> your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Mostly I get my dose of iodine from sea foods like sea bass or cod. You
> can also find beans as a good source of iodine specially the navy beans.

There are various sources of info - this is the first hit from googling
"dietry iodine":

http://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency/

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi Guys,

Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?

Many thanks,
-T
Dont guess I can recall being needful of iodine but sure could be. We use mainly the high dollar yup sea salt. Hey how about the pink stuff? Theys got all kinds of exotic stuff in it. Try that. Also Sea Weed is good I heard. Fish is not good for folks because of the mercury. Especially hazardous to those with teeth fillings and/or root canals. Toxic fish can trigger the mercury to come out of the fillings..and there a person winds up with the Big A. Where you forget your name and stuff. I will read up on the pink salt.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 06/04/2013 01:12 PM, Ian Field wrote:

> "elementsresto" > wrote in
> message .. .
>>
>> Todd;1836972 Wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> Since my former main source of iodine in my food was
>>> potatoes and I don't eat iodized salt (contains toxic
>>> to me Dextrose). I was wondering where you guys get
>>> your main supply of iodine? Sea fish?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> Mostly I get my dose of iodine from sea foods like sea bass or cod. You
>> can also find beans as a good source of iodine specially the navy beans.

> There are various sources of info - this is the first hit from googling
> "dietry iodine":
>
> http://www.thyroid.org/iodine-deficiency/

Hi Ian,

Nice link. I am going to try getting a bit more ocean
fish in our diet.

Thank you,
-T