Old 28-05-2013, 10:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ?Poblano!

On 05/28/2013 02:03 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
: On 05/25/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:
: Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.
:

: Hi Bigwheel,

: I ran the girly burger idea past the first/trophy wife.
: It is going to some selling. She is really sensitive
: to hot spices.

: When I told her who came up with the idea, she said,
: "I like Bigwheel. He's funny."

: -T

Todd,

Since your wife doesn't like hot spicy food, andshe is willing to eat yoru
low carb food, why bother with cooking with the hot peppers at all? If
you like the hot peppers, make a sauce or buy one that you like to add to
your portion only and then you can have yours just as hot as your like and
she doesn't have to sorry about how hot it is.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

That is what we do. She like the flavor, just not the pain.
When we eat spicy food, I dig out my Chipotle/Habanero sauce and
"ceremoniously" shake away while giving her the single raised
eyebrow. Makes her laugh.

My current favorite hot sauce:
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/arizo...5-fl-oz-liquid

-T

Old 29-05-2013, 12:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/28/2013 02:03 PM, W. Baker wrote:
why bother with cooking with the hot peppers at all?

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!

1) because it tastes like Italian food, when it is suppose
to taste like Mexican food

2) she loves pepper taste, but can't take the pain.

This is why Poblanos are perfect. She can take them and
they have a lot of flavor.

-T
Old 29-05-2013, 12:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/27/2013 06:37 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
I can no longer eat hot jalepenos

Old trick. If the heat gets to you, rinse your mouth out
with a handful of salt.
Old 29-05-2013, 01:10 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/28/2013 12:36 PM, bigwheel wrote:
W. Baker;1836282 Wrote:
Todd lid wrote:
: Hi All,

: I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
: weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
: Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
: thinking of growing them this year.)

: While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
: had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
: said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

: As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
: through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

: What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
: the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

: Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

: Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
: eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

: Many thanks,
: -T

That is the traditional way to skin all kinds of peppers(oftendone when

they are to be used in a sauce, etc. You blacken them over a flame and

then put them into a paper bagandshke a little and let wait. the skin
then comes of with your fingers quite easily. I generally don't mind
the
skin so seldom do this. Poblanos are the traditinal pepper for chili
rellanos or Mexican stuffed peppers, which i have never made,but have
eaten:-) Poplanos(dried called Anchos) are mld for a chili, bu thave a

little kick so can add a nice light punch to things like those scrambled

eggs.

Wendy

Hey Wendy..thanks for your input on the peppers. I was taught to do the
red ones..Anchos in a blender with cold water. Hot water makes them turn
orange for some reason..but cold water make them come out bright red and
ready to dump on any kind of Mexican looking food group needing a zippy
red chile sauce. Never did try pulverizing many green ones but that
should work too.

How does one turn a Poblano into a Ancho. I though Anchos were just
dried Poblanos?

Have you ever done this with a Chimayo (New Mexico Red) Pepper?

Old 29-05-2013, 02:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
[...]

Dry it! or buy them already driy, but whole. I have used them , (I
believeI mentioned, but this has gone onso long I am nolonger sure)
whole soetimes with and sometimes without the seeds, dried in a bland soup
to give it some spunk, but not too much. Use of the seed depends on who
else will be eatign tht soup. I buy dried anchos.

Wendy

Old 29-05-2013, 02:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/28/2013 06:01 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
[...]

I will look for the dried ones. Thank you!

-T
Old 29-05-2013, 05:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/28/2013 6:42 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/27/2013 06:37 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
I can no longer eat hot jalepenos

Old trick. If the heat gets to you, rinse your mouth out
with a handful of salt.

Thanks, Todd. I can't eat any hot peppers due to having had half of my
tongue removed because of cancer. The radiation treatments effected my
taste buds and left my mouth very sensitive even though the radiation
was well over 6 years ago.
The salt would just kill me.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 29-05-2013, 05:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/28/2013 09:24 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/28/2013 6:42 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/27/2013 06:37 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
I can no longer eat hot jalepenos

Old trick. If the heat gets to you, rinse your mouth out
with a handful of salt.

Thanks, Todd. I can't eat any hot peppers due to having had half of my
tongue removed because of cancer. The radiation treatments effected my
taste buds and left my mouth very sensitive even though the radiation
was well over 6 years ago.
The salt would just kill me.

Hi Janet,

Yikes!!! Makes Diabetes pale in comparison.

-T
Old 29-05-2013, 06:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
On 5/28/2013 6:42 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/27/2013 06:37 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
I can no longer eat hot jalepenos

Old trick. If the heat gets to you, rinse your mouth out
with a handful of salt.

Thanks, Todd. I can't eat any hot peppers due to having had half of my
tongue removed because of cancer. The radiation treatments effected my
taste buds and left my mouth very sensitive even though the radiation was
well over 6 years ago.
The salt would just kill me.

I didn't know that Janet. I'm curious, were you a smoker? My BIL is going
through something similar and had surgery today to have cancerous tonsils
removed, and a cancerous lymph node. Were your tonsils involved as well?

Cheri

Old 29-05-2013, 02:41 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/28/2013 6:42 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/27/2013 06:37 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
I can no longer eat hot jalepenos

Old trick. If the heat gets to you, rinse your mouth out
with a handful of salt.

Thanks, Todd. I can't eat any hot peppers due to having had half of
my tongue removed because of cancer. The radiation treatments
effected my taste buds and left my mouth very sensitive even though
the radiation was well over 6 years ago.
The salt would just kill me.

I didn't know that Janet. I'm curious, were you a smoker? My BIL is
going through something similar and had surgery today to have cancerous
tonsils removed, and a cancerous lymph node. Were your tonsils involved
as well?

Cheri

Yes. I had been a smoker but had quit about 8 years before the cancer.
I lost my tonsils when I was 5 so there was no involvement.

If they are recommending radiation treatments for your BIL, HE MUST get
to either Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC, Johns Hopkins in Maryland or
MD Anderson in Houston. Head and neck radiation needs a specialized
support team including an oncological dentist, speech therapists (mostly
for swallowing issues), and others. My DH's cousin had treatment for
tonsil cancer at Dana Farber, a major Boston hospital, and he lost all
of his teeth because they did not advise him of the special care and
need for fluoride trays.

Radiation kills off salivary glands and the absence of saliva causes
teeth to disintegrate. Most hospitals don't provide a mouth guard to
protect at least one salivary gland. There are dentists who specialize
in dealing with the effects of radiation but they are hard to find
outside of the three centers I mentioned.

I would not disrespect any hospital for cancer treatment, but when it
comes to head and neck cancer and radiation, the three hospitals I
mentioned are THE ONLY ones. Any radiation center can do the protocol,
but only a few have the specialized support teams needed. I'm really
serious.

Old 29-05-2013, 02:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/28/2013 6:42 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Thanks Janet, I will definitely pass this on to them today. He will be doing
several weeks of radiation and then chemo. They will know if his esophagus
is involved since they did a scope yesterday with biopsies while doing the
surgery. They will have the results on Tuesday. I don't think any of the
hospitals around our area Sacramento/Stockton are known for their cancer
treatments. He's kind of bullheaded, well, a lot bullheaded, but I think
this might be scaring him enough that he'll listen to other opinions.

Cheri

Old 29-05-2013, 02:54 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
W. Baker;1836282 Wrote:
Todd lid wrote:
[...]

Anchos are the ripe red mature version of Pablanos..dryness level varies. Most times closer to leathery but for making powders they can be laid on a sunny window sill for a few days to a week to crunch up a bit. Chimayos tend to be slightly hotter than Anchos but have good flavor. Here is a fairly handy link about peppers.

Chili Peppers - a list of chili peppers and their heat levels

Last edited by bigwheel : 29-05-2013 at 03:17 PM
Old 29-05-2013, 06:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker;1836282 Wrote:-
Todd lid wrote:
[...]

Anchos are the ripe mature version of Pablanos..dryness level varies.
Most times closer to leathery but for making powders they can be laid on
the window sill for a few days to crunch up a bit. Chimayos tend to be
pretty hot or at least the ones I have run into seem so. Would not take
much of the powder to light up a person.

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

If I manage to successfully grow Poblanos (I have a black thumb),
I think I will try leaving some on the vine to turn red.

I have a quart container of Chimayo powder. The older it gets the
less fire. Seems to retain the flavor. Still too hot for
the Mrs..

-T

Old 01-06-2013, 03:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
On 05/28/2013 04:07 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
My wife is Thai. We eat chiles of every variety. Poblanos are mostly
pan-fried, stuffed with cheese, pork, shrimp or combinations.

Hi Nick,

Do you stuff them first? Or, do you fry them let them
cool, and then stuff them?

And, do you skin them?

Many thanks,

Hi Todd. Stuff, then fry. Tonight, I had some in a chili sauce. We don't
skin them.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Old 01-06-2013, 03:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

-

Hi Bigwheel,

I ran the girly burger idea past the first/trophy wife.
It is going to some selling. She is really sensitive
to hot spices.

When I told her who came up with the idea, she said,
"I like Bigwheel. He's funny."

-T

Well she sounds very nice too. Glad she has a sense of humor. Trophies
are nice. I got one around here somewhere myself..lol. She aint big on
hot stuff either.

Hi Bigwheel,

Speaking of trophy wives, she called on the cell phone after I'd
finished my rounds and was about to start errands, and asked me if
I was anywhere near one of the fishing ponds. To shorten
the conversation and protect my friends from a Diabetic coma,
she basically said you'd had a hard day, why don't you stop
by one of the ponds and fish for 30 minutes to blow off steam.
Wow! I did and what excellent stress release and it gets my
exercise in. (I hate exercise. But, tell me there are
trout over that mountain, stick a fishing pole in my hand
and ... So, I fish instead of exercise.)

Anyway, she got an extra hug or two when I got home. And
I threatened to brag about her.

Fishing is great for up Diabetics. Gets our exercise in,
lowers our stress, etc.. Once the first fish strikes, there
is a whole attitude adjustment. Your feet no longer hurt,
your back no longer hurts, you can't figure out why you
let that customer get to you, its not too hot, its not
too cold, the flies no longer buzz you, yada, yada, yada.

And sometimes, you get to eat the results!

-T

oh ya, I also folded a load of laundry in the morning for
the Trophy Wife.

Poblano peppers zxcvbob General Cooking 3 09-12-2013 06:10 AM
Poblano peppers Linda[_12_] Mexican Cooking 0 26-02-2013 05:05 PM
Poblano harvest is in Paul M. Cook General Cooking 13 26-10-2009 02:22 AM
Mole Poblano Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2006 04:37 AM
Poblano chilis Laura Friesen Mexican Cooking 7 26-07-2005 03:57 AM