Old 27-05-2013, 08:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default ?Poblano!

On 05/26/2013 03:26 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:

The *best* way to skin peppers is really to char them and put them in a
bag as we discussed before.

No doubt. I am afraid to bring the burn fumes back into the house
(asthma).

Thank you!

-T

Does your Trophy Wife ever go out while you stay at home? That might be
a good time to open all the windows, turn on all the vent fans and char
a couple of peppers. :-)

Hi Janet,

Not really. Her allergies pretty much precludes that. She takes
care of the home and the administrative part of our home based
business. (Our customers love her and complain if they get me
on the phone instead of her. She is very sweet and compassionate
to our customers.)

I wonder if there is a way to blanch something incorrectly
and wind up burning it?

-T

Old 27-05-2013, 08:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 03:30 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/26/2013 4:56 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/25/2013 08:15 PM, Nick Cramer wrote:
Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/25/2013 12:27 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/25/2013 08:25 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0pňad wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd
wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put
them into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

In my situation, would blanching them work? I would miss
the smoky flavor, but the skins would come off.

Blanching then a dip in ice water would work to peel them, but you
would
miss the smokey flavor. Can you char them in the broiler?

Do I even need them skinned?

Yes, you do. Even for chili rellenos, you need to skin them.

I've had poblanos (pasillas) both ways. Skin doesn't bother me. ;-)

Okay guys, I don't know what I am doing. Why skin them? Texture?
Inquiring minds want to know!

personally, I think they just taste better skinned.
Traditionally, every Mexican cook book and every local friend of Mexican
heritage skins their big peppers. The little ones, like jalapenos and
habaneros are not skinned, just diced (wearing disposable gloves if you
know what's best for your)

Hi Janet,

Exactly the information I am after. Thank you!

-T
Old 27-05-2013, 08:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/26/2013 05:44 PM, Opple0pňad wrote:
I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.

You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

Recipe!
Old 27-05-2013, 02:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/26/2013 7:44 PM, Opple0pňad wrote:
On Sat, 25 May 2013 10:25:30 -0500, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 5/24/2013 11:35 PM, Opple0pňad wrote:
On Fri, 24 May 2013 14:00:57 -0700, Todd wrote:

Thank you!

Unfortunately, no access to an oven. :'(

Are you living in an assisted living facility?

You can also use a toaster oven.

I have a gas grill on my patio. I char them on the grill then put them
into a plastic baggie until they are cool enough to peel.

I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.

You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

I use the low carb, small tortillas for enchiladas.

Ever have Jalapeno - stuffed with cream cheese - breaded - deep fried?

Made fresh this is an excellent treat, appetizer, side dish.

Jalapeno poppers. First time I had them was about 15 years ago in New
Mexico. They are very popular appetizers in the chain restaurants.

I can no longer eat hot jalepenos and we do try to avoid anything
breaded because of the carbs, but if your meal plan can handle the
carbs, those poppers are good.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 27-05-2013, 02:39 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/27/2013 2:40 AM, Todd wrote:
[...]

Can you use a gas grill? WalMart and other discount stores sell small,
portable gas grills for under $30. They use propane cylinders that are
pretty reasonable.

We've had these little grills for years. They work every bit as well as
the big ones. We travel a lot in RVs and we used them to grill chicken
or steak for dinner so we don't have to eat out.

Old 27-05-2013, 02:42 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/27/2013 2:43 AM, Todd wrote:
On 05/26/2013 05:44 PM, Opple0pňad wrote:
I love to puree them with some pre-sauteed garlic and onion and a little
chicken broth. Makes an awesome sauce for enchiladas.

You too? I love enchiladas with this type sauce.

Recipe!

* Exported from MasterCook *

hatch green chile sauce

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 large onion -- chopped
3 cloves garlic -- minced
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups chopped roasted mild green chile -- preferably
new mexican or anaheim, fresh or frozen
2 cups chicken stock
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground coriander

in a heavy saucepan, warm the oil over medium heat. add the onion and
sautÚ until well softened, about 5 minutes. stir in the garlic and
sautÚ for an additional minute, then add the flour and continue cooking
for another 1 or 2 minutes. mix in the chile. pour in the stock and
add the seasonings. bring the mixture to a boil. reduce the heat to a
low simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until thickened but still very
pourable.

Cuisine:
"Mexican"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

NOTES :
serve warm with enchiladas or other dishes. the sauce keeps
refrigerated, for about 5 days and freezes well.

Old 28-05-2013, 04:07 AM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 05/26/2013 12:15 PM, bigwheel wrote:

Todd;1836682 Wrote:
On 05/25/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:-
Todd;1836462 Wrote:-
On 05/23/2013 02:46 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
Todd;1836224 Wrote:-
Hi All,

I has at the local Mexican Supermarket yesterday for my
weekly fix on Opuntia (Prickly Pear). I picked up a
Poblano (Ancho) pepper for experimentation. (I am
thinking of growing them this year.)

While in the check out line, the sweetest lady, who
had extreme trouble with English (didn't stop her, as I
said, "sweet"), told me how to prepare Poblanos.

As far as I could tell, she told me to roll them
through my burners flame. (My stove is electric.)

What did she mean? Is there something wrong with
the skins? Do they need to be burned off?

Is there some special way to prepare Poblanos?

Oh, and she told me to put them in my scrambled
eggs. Said they were delicious that way.

Many thanks,
-T-

Several ways to do it. Charred and blistered on an open flame works
well
such as with gas bbq grill then throw them in a paper sack and seal
them
up right quick. After a bit they start steaming themselves the skin
gets
slimey and the pepper gets slimey and it peels off sorta..lol. Same
trick can be done with a propane hand torch. Here is link showing how
do it in an electric oven. Now once they turn red they turn themselves
into Ancho's. What color is yours? They are wonderful as a topping for
baked potatoes. Not that folks in this section seem to be able to eat
such stuff. Throw some on your burger or sandwich. Very good like that
too. Indispensable for good cheesy squash casseroles..homininy
casseroles..green chili..green enchiladas..stews etc etc. Might be
good
with chocolate cake..just aint tried it..lol.

'Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers' ('Food Tips: How to Roast
Poblano Peppers' ('Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers'
(Food Tips: How to Roast Poblano Peppers)

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

My Poblanos are shiny dark green. They have that look and feel
when you hold them in your hand of exciting things to come that only
a cook understands.

My wife is very sensitive to hot pepper, but if fine with Ancho,
so this sound like a perfect match up.

Okay, I have burned butter twice and egg plant one. So this
is right up my alley. Any idea how to burn a Poblano with
an electric stove?

-T-

Sounds like you got some good peppers. There are directions in the
link
for charring them in an electric oven on broil sitting on a cookie
sheet
seems like. Are you saying you only have the cook top maybe? That
could
get a bit messy. If all else fails head to Wally World and snag a
propane braising torch. Thats how Wolfgang Puck does it..most
likely..lol. Mama should not get lit up too bad..just use the peppers
sparingly till you get a handle on the heat levels. About the only
time
they make me break a sweat is putting a whole split one on a burger.
Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.-

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

"propane braising torch": interesting. I wonder if ...

A customer told me to soak Jalapenos in milk for 10 minutes to
rid the fire. Maybe for a "girly burger"?

-T

I think you need to tell that sissy girly girl to man up a little..lol.

She says "truly funny dude!" She is still laughing!

Never heard of the milk deal but should work. The capsicum is fat
soluble and milk has a bunch of that..dont use the low fat milk..lol.
That is why when you get a good mouth scald water do not work too well
to quench the fire. Milk and butter help. Some highly smart Aggies at
A&M come up with a heatless Jap made especially for heat sensitive
yankees who buy their mild Picante sauce. Its called a TAM. You might
could find those at a well stocked yup fruit stand or whatever. The
normal Japs we get around here aint hot enough to worry about. Clean out
the seeds and scrape the veins they are about like a bell pepper. It
takes somebody knowing what they are doing to make one hot enough to
worry about. I am waiting for the Aggies to come up with a heatless Hab.
Those are packed with way more flavor than a jap. Just got to pay the
price to taste it. lol

Hi Bigwheel,

Thank you!

I was trying to figure out whether Poblanos are worth planting. We
are not suppose to plant till the second week in June, so I got a
little time.

A heatless Hab. Now that would be something! :-)

-T

And the first/trophy is still chuckling in the background.

They are mighty tasty and high priced to buy them in the store. Couldnt be any harder to grow than bell peppers and or tomatoes. They bound to tend to like nice hot weather. Now where a person can get the seedlings I aint sure. I dont recall seeing any for sale around here. Might have to sprout the seeds and go from there.
Old 28-05-2013, 04:14 AM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
On 05/25/2013 06:54 AM, bigwheel wrote:
Prob just slice up a little for a girly burger.

Hi Bigwheel,

I ran the girly burger idea past the first/trophy wife.
It is going to some selling. She is really sensitive
to hot spices.

When I told her who came up with the idea, she said,
"I like Bigwheel. He's funny."

-T
Well she sounds very nice too. Glad she has a sense of humor. Trophies are nice. I got one around here somewhere myself..lol. She aint big on hot stuff either.
Old 28-05-2013, 04:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/27/2013 06:35 PM, Janet Wilder wrote:
As you know I lived in an RV for 9 years and portable grills were all we
had. They were fine. They get hot enough to do anything I now do on my
6 burner "Grillzilla"

Grillzilla! Grin Sounds like a blast. Do you have a favorite sausage
for the grill?

-T

Six burners!

Old 28-05-2013, 12:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

[...]

My wife is Thai. We eat chiles of every variety. Poblanos are mostly
pan-fried, stuffed with cheese, pork, shrimp or combinations.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Old 28-05-2013, 08:36 PM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Hey Wendy..thanks for your input on the peppers. I was taught to do the red ones..Anchos in a blender with cold water. Hot water makes them turn orange for some reason..but cold water make them come out bright red and ready to dump on any kind of Mexican looking food group needing a zippy red chile sauce. Never did try pulverizing many green ones but that should work too.
Old 28-05-2013, 09:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default íPoblano!

(http://tinyurl.com/odetagm))-))

-
[...]

My local CSA farm is selling them. We are not suppose to (trans)plant
till the second week of June. I am going to pick up four cherry
tomatoes, two regular tomatoes, and a Poblano.

Old 28-05-2013, 09:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/28/2013 04:07 AM, Nick Cramer wrote:
My wife is Thai. We eat chiles of every variety. Poblanos are mostly
pan-fried, stuffed with cheese, pork, shrimp or combinations.

Hi Nick,

Do you stuff them first? Or, do you fry them let them
cool, and then stuff them?

And, do you skin them?

Many thanks,
-T
Old 28-05-2013, 10:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:

: Hi Bigwheel,

: I ran the girly burger idea past the first/trophy wife.
: It is going to some selling. She is really sensitive
: to hot spices.

: When I told her who came up with the idea, she said,
: "I like Bigwheel. He's funny."

: -T

Todd,

Since your wife doesn't like hot spicy food, andshe is willing to eat yoru
low carb food, why bother with cooking with the hot peppers at all? If
you like the hot peppers, make a sauce or buy one that you like to add to
your portion only and then you can have yours just as hot as your like and
she doesn't have to sorry about how hot it is.

Wendy

Poblano peppers zxcvbob General Cooking 3 09-12-2013 06:10 AM
Poblano peppers Linda[_12_] Mexican Cooking 0 26-02-2013 05:05 PM
Poblano harvest is in Paul M. Cook General Cooking 13 26-10-2009 02:22 AM
Mole Poblano Lucky Recipes (moderated) 0 04-05-2006 04:37 AM
Poblano chilis Laura Friesen Mexican Cooking 7 26-07-2005 03:57 AM