Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default fish sticks?

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 06/07/2013 03:25 PM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
>> The ones I get from Trader Joe's are just sticks of fish which have been
>> breaded.

> If you get a headache about 6 hours after eating them, it is
> because Trader Joe's fish stick are coated with Liar's MSG
> (Torula yeast, yeast extract, etc.).
>
> I do love Trader Joe's, but I am permanently ****ed at them
> for stating they don't use MSG, then they use every and
> any form of Liar's MSG they can find. This practice
> is unethical to say the least.
>
>> I haven't read the whole thread, but I'd cut the fish when it was
>> frozen, then bread it and fry it. Many fish/meats cut much better when
>> fully or partially frozen.

> Great tip. Cod is especially fragile.

I don't know why you're so fond of the word "Liar's". In and of itself, it
can be naturally occurring in foods and it's not one of the top 8 allergens
so they don't have to declare it. I don't know if you asked Trader Joe's
about the MSG or what...or what their response to it was but... I would
imagine that if asked they would say that they do not add MSG, meaning the
seasoning labeled as MSG.

If you have an allergy or other issue with a certain food then you need to
read each and every label. Lots of things may state that they are gluten
free but they may not be. For instance, Rice Dream products. They use
barley to process the rice and barely contains gluten. Their products have
sickened many a person who must avoid gluten. I haven't bought this product
for years but it used to state that it was tested and found to have less
than some stated tiny amount...can't remember what...of gluten. I don't
think (but I could be wrong) that in this country there is a law on that but
in some others such as Australia, they do have those laws.

Another thing that Trader Joes does a lot of is to produce products on
shared lines. So there is very little I will buy there now because it is
not safe for me due to that reason. Walmart does the same.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 06/04/2013 05:40 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>> Todd;1837753 Wrote:
>>> On 05/29/2013 09:38 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
>>> Todd;1835677 Wrote:-
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> The love of my life eats the same stuff I do to make
>>> sure there is no temptation for me to cheat. (I had
>>> the good sense to make my trophy wife my first wife.)
>>>
>>> The *ONLY* fish she would eat before my induction into
>>> the pin cushion club was "fish sticks" (battered cod).
>>> She really hates fish too.
>>>
>>> I can get natural flash frozen cod from my local Raley's.
>>> How do I make something that tastes similar to Fish Sticks
>>> and stay with my/our 15 carb per meal limit?
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T-
>>>
>>> Fish sticks? That is enough to drive rational folks off the deep end.
>>> Yes I'm real mad. Sorry.-
>>>
>>> Hi Bigwheel,
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>
>>> Since I am having trouble cutting Cod into sticks (it just
>>> mashes), my next attempt will be to leave the fillets alone
>>> and just use the pecan breading and seasoning I can up with.
>>>
>>> Oh, and no hot sauce.
>>>
>>> -T

>> Ahh ok gotcha. Seems like I was forced to eat fish sticks back in the
>> good old days. If they nice and crunchy I can gag them down
>> occasionally...lol. Have you tried sticking Mr. Fish in the freezer for
>> a while before starting the dissection procedure? That should hold it
>> intact long off to cut off a chunk or two. Also..back on the original
>> Atkins book they had recipes for breading fish filets with ground up
>> Parmesium cheese. Sure was tasty. Have you tried that? Get some spicy
>> seafood sauce for dipping. All Trophy Bride's seem to demand red sauce
>> or at least ketchup on their fish sticks. Kindly keep us updated about
>> that. Thanks.

> Hi Bigwheel,
>
> "Parmesan cheese"! I had not thought of that. Next go around.
> I will keep you updated for sure.
>
> Thank you!

You said you were avoiding MSG? It's in there. Also in tomatoes and a
bunch of other foods where it naturally occurs.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/52...rmesan-cheese/

Breaded fish sticks Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 39 29-11-2013 11:30 PM
recipe request "fish" sticks Car Isaacs Vegan 1 17-11-2007 11:31 PM
Dreaded fish sticks. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 79 05-03-2007 10:23 PM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 3 27-08-2005 07:58 AM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 0 24-08-2005 08:18 PM