Old 22-05-2013, 08:23 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default fish sticks?

Cheri wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message
Hi Cheri,

I have been marries for more than twice as many years
as I have been single. When I look back to when I was
single, it seems as if a part of me is missing.

And, with that, I have a date with you-know-who
to watch videos and eat dinner, so I should
hurry up and finish my office work and get home!

-T

Next year, we will celebrate our 50th, so I can't remember when I was
single. :-)

Cheri

Still 3 years to go to the 50th - I do remember (still :-) and it
was just horrible.

Old 22-05-2013, 08:36 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I like a bit of sweetness with savoury foods.

On 05/21/2013 05:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
I don't want sweet crumbs on fish sticks, but maybe the OP does. :-)

I clearly do not know what I am doing. Seems to
me if you guys wanted to, you could really have
a laugh at my expense.

Wouldn't think of it. We might laugh with you, which is much more
pleasant for everybody :-)

One suggestion:
Thaw out cod fillets, soak in brine for 5-8 minutes
(1 cup salt dissolved in 1 pint cold water) pat with kitchen paper,
perhaps cut them into fish stick shapes,
fry in hot butter to get a brownish coat, then bake in medium oven for
about 10 minutes. Vary times according to fillet thickness.

The idea is that the brine soaking firms up the fish pieces without
getting them really salty. The hot butter browning should approximate
the fish stick texture - I hope.

I made this dish without the browning, just oven baked, a good sauce on top:
chopped shallots and chives, in melted butter with a dash of soy sauce.

Old 22-05-2013, 08:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Karen wrote:

On Tue, 21 May 2013 19:56:02 -0500, in alt.food.diabetic, Janet Wilder
wrote:

On 5/21/2013 6:31 PM, Todd wrote:
On 05/21/2013 03:45 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
lol, there is only a certain amount of breading that will actually
stick to a piece of fish or other animal protein. I think you might be
over-estimating just how much of the breading you will actually use. I
would go for the crumbs of low carb bread. A very little amount of oil
just layering the bottom of a pan (preheat oil in the oven, pop in the
fish, turn once. Fish cooks so quickly in an oven, no need for deep
frying. Dip in egg, shake the egg off a little, lay one side on a thin
bed of crumbs, turn over and you are ready

Hi Ozgirl,

Thank you!

Yes, I may be overestimating.

Okay, here is what I think you are telling me:

No seasoning.

1) scramble up an egg (maybe two).

2) dip the fish in the egg. Then in whatever I come up with
for breading.

You can try pulverizing pecans in a food processor. I use crushed
pecans as breading for chicken.

3) Fry in a little oil (EVOO?). Flip quickly so as to not
overcook.

If you bake the fish it's less calories, but if you are frying, it use
an oil that is more stable at higher temps like canola or peanut.

I have used wheat germ, the kind that comes in a jar, for breading and
filler, like in meat balls.

I have used crushed pecans on fish. It is very good. I spray with a
bit of olive oil, sprinkle the crushed pecans on it then bake. My
husband really likes fish cooked this way too.

Yum - I think I will, too, thanks for the tip!

Old 22-05-2013, 08:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

wrote:

On 5/21/2013 6:31 PM, Todd wrote:
[...]

You're welcome. We also like to just spray with olive oil, sprinkle
with fresh shredded parmesan cheese and bake. That one is a favorite.
Another we like, usually done with salmon is to baste with a flavored
balsamic vinegar such as lime-tangerine vinegar. There is a shop
local to me that sells dozens of different flavored balsamic vinegars
and flavored olive oils. Neither of these recipes are like fish
sticks, but they are popular at my home.
Old 22-05-2013, 10:06 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: :
: : : And, do you know what the seasonings would be?
: : : Onion? Pepper?
: :
: : : -T
: : If you have a 4 or 5 gram carb bread mixed with ground nuts tht should
: : work and keep to your limit.
: :
: : WendyX
: :
:
: : Hi Wendy,
:
: : Thank you!
:
: : Any onion or other seasoning?
:
: : -T
: Seasonings, yes, S&P, herb or spice she likes mxed into the bread-nut
: mixture. I don't eat fishsticks or particularly like them so I really
: can't coment on particular spices.
:
: last night my son came for dinne so we had broiled boned shad with sauteed
: fresh chard in olive oil and garlic aand some fresh early season cheries
: for dessert. Great meal, good bgs at less than 2 hours(111!). what could
: be bad:-)
:
: Wendy
:

: Hi Wendy,

: Thank you!

: Would you mix the S&P into the bread-nut mixture or shake them
: on after the fish hit the pan?

: And I have no clue whatsoever about any other seasoning. Do
: you have a favorite. (I promise I won't blame it on you if
: we don't like it.)

: -T

: Dinner with your family. Doesn't get much better. Maybe a nap,
: no, dinner is still better! :-)

mix the S&P right into the bread-nut mix aalong with the other spices or
herbs you like. Use what you have inyou house. I have a mix that is for
grilled fish and other fish that I use. I got it as a gift onceand found
it useful. I hesitate to recommend as you wife has so many sensitivities
to some of these, but I would try fresh parsley, dill, also, fresh if
available, just snip the leavees into tome tiny bits, dried thyme or
oregono are also good. DON'T USE ALL OF THEM or you will have a mish-mash
of flavors.
Serve the fish sticks with lemon wedges for squeezin gon them.

Wendy

Old 22-05-2013, 10:52 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message

It is germaine because he is tryng to find a way to respond inkind to the
kindness f his wife who is eting his lowcarb diabetic diet as a support
measure. He wants to give her the pleasure of a food that looks too caby,
so he wants to find a recipe or method. Hiw references to his first adn
trophy wife are showing us how much he loves her and why he wants to help
her.

Of course you are entitled to your opinion. But I am also entitled to mine.
The other stuff? Just doesn't seem to belong here. Seems a bit nausea
inducing to me. But perhaps it is because I was raised to not refer to
people like that or go around talking like that.

Old 22-05-2013, 10:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Julie Bove wrote:

: What he does call me sometimes is "girl". As in "OK girl, lets go
: home." I'm 60, and we've been married for 40 years, so I'm far from a
: girl, but I love it when he does that.

: Oooh. That's another thing that bugs the peewaddins out of me. I am
*not*
: a girl! I have referred to women as "gals" and that term is derogatory
: some people. I don't see how but I try not to use it now. I do
sometimes
: slip up though.

I don't know. Often, on Saturday nights I get together with three other
widow to watch a rented flim and eat popcorn and/or fruit. I refer to it
as "girls night out." We are aged 71- 8????? and still kicking.

Okay. That term really bothers me too. I'd never heard it until I was
living on Cape Cod. A coworker said she was having a girl's night out. I
was like... Wha? That is just something that is not appealing to me. I
have friends of both genders. Yes, when I used to go out there was
sometimes no males there but that was simply because nobody was available
then. I just don't see the need to qualify it like just women going out.
But I do know that some people are that way. My coworker was excited about
this night out because there would be no men there.

Old 22-05-2013, 11:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

No it it VWAAH LA

"Susan" wrote in message ...

x-no-arhive: yes

On 5/21/2013 8:51 PM, Cheri wrote:

Walla! ;-)

ROFL...

Wah LAH!

Or Voy LAH for those who have to pronounce every letter.

Susan
Old 23-05-2013, 01:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/21/2013 8:11 PM, Todd wrote:

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I like a bit of sweetness with savoury foods.

On 05/21/2013 05:43 PM, Cheri wrote:
I don't want sweet crumbs on fish sticks, but maybe the OP does. :-)

I clearly do not know what I am doing. Seems to
me if you guys wanted to, you could really have
a laugh at my expense.

I will never laugh at someone who genuinely seeks knowledge.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Old 23-05-2013, 01:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/22/2013 12:43 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Doris Night" wrote in message
So how does your husband refer to you? The old ball and chain? The
little missus? The better half? The old lady? SWMBO?

His wife! Because that's what I am. I dislike all of those other terms
that you used, in particular SWMBO. Why do people feel the need to come up
with cutesy terms for people? I never felt that need and the use of
nicknames in our house was very much frowned on when I was growing up. My
parents even get angry when we use a name for my husband that I won't post
here. It is something that Angela called him when she was little. It was
Dada___. It's not a bad word by any means but it wouldn't make sense to
anyone here. So I won't get into it. They do get angry about it though and
tell us not to call him that because it is not his name. Likewise, my MIL
used to get angry with my husband when he called our daughter nicknames. I
do have some nicknames for Angela, none of them bad but it ticks my mom off
when I call her these. Angela doesn't mind.

I'd probably blush and giggle a bit if my husband referred to me as
arm candy. Plus I'd maybe suggest that he come upstairs with me for a
little while.

Well, I wouldn't! I wouldn't want people to think of me as that. Ugh. And
arm candy is usually not a person you are romantically involved with. They
are just for show. For the public.

What he does call me sometimes is "girl". As in "OK girl, lets go
home." I'm 60, and we've been married for 40 years, so I'm far from a
girl, but I love it when he does that.

Oooh. That's another thing that bugs the peewaddins out of me. I am *not*
a girl! I have referred to women as "gals" and that term is derogatory to
some people. I don't see how but I try not to use it now. I do sometimes
slip up though.

Julie, one of your problems is that you share too much on these boards.
It might be because you have no other friends to confide in.

Whenever you have posted anything about your husband,It has never come
across that you two have a loving and supportive relationship. If
anything the people who read your posts find that your marriage is
strained and your daughter is undisciplined.

The fact that you are making such a huge deal over one man's
affectionate name for his wife is proof that you are insecure in your
own relationship. Perhaps you need to focus more on your own family and
their dynamics than on Todd, who, obviously, worships his wife.

Old 23-05-2013, 01:29 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 5/22/2013 8:17 AM, Cheri wrote:
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Doris Night" wrote in message
So how does your husband refer to you? The old ball and chain? The
little missus? The better half? The old lady? SWMBO?

His wife! Because that's what I am. I dislike all of those other
terms that you used, in particular SWMBO. Why do people feel the need
to come up

Well, I do agree there. I do not care for SWMBO at all. I also don't
like "the little woman" and "my old lady."

Cheri

I much prefer IWMBO ( I who must be obeyed) If momma ain't happy, no one
is happy. :-)

Old 23-05-2013, 02:34 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
Julie, one of your problems is that you share too much on these boards. It
might be because you have no other friends to confide in.

I have friends. I even have diabetic friends. But they do not alter their
diets. And they don't use insulin. They don't seem to understand much
about diabetes and don't want to know. So talking about diabetic things
with themn does no good.

Whenever you have posted anything about your husband,It has never come
across that you two have a loving and supportive relationship. If
anything the people who read your posts find that your marriage is
strained and your daughter is undisciplined.

I never did say that we had a loving and supportive relationship. I did not
grow up as a product of a loving and supportive relationship. So? There
are plenty of us like that out here. My daughter is certainly not
undisciplined. Anyone who has taken as much dance as she has could not
possibly be undisciplined.

The fact that you are making such a huge deal over one man's affectionate
name for his wife is proof that you are insecure in your own relationship.
Perhaps you need to focus more on your own family and their dynamics than
on Todd, who, obviously, worships his wife.

Nope. I am not insecure in my own relationship. I do not need to focus
more on my own family. In fact I probably need to focus *less* on it and
more on *me* but circumstances do not allow for that at the moment. And no
I am not going to get into that because once again I would accused of over
sharing.

I am not a religious person and I find that fact that anyone could *worship*
another person to be sickening. We are not all alike. And you are very
judgmental. Perhaps it is because you yourself are religious? Don't know
but I find that often religious people are that way. I was raised to live
and let live. But I was also raised not to refer to people in terms like
"trophy wife". That is just rude, despite what the few of you who post here
think. I did ask my friends what they thought of the term and all agreed
that it was not a nice thing to say.

The people who post here do seem for the most part not to be the norm. I
have learned that over the years. And frankly I just can't relate to a lot
of what is talked about her. That sort of stuff has no place in my life, my
relatives lives or my friend's lives. Apparently we travel in different
circles.

Old 23-05-2013, 02:58 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet Wilder" wrote in message
eb.com...
Julie, make an appointment with a qualified shrink. None of us are
qualified to deal with your emotional problems.

I don't have emotional problems Janet. And you are *very* rude. I simply
do not understand *any* of you here who think that referring to a person's
wife as a trophy wife is a nice thing to do. Or that qualifying the word
"wife" every time it is used is a nice and normal thing to do. I know quite
a lot of people and not one of them would ever use terms like that unless
they were being a smart ass. I also posted several links that proves that
the term is not complimentary. And neither is "arm candy". But maybe this
is a generation thing. My dad has the tendency to ask people how they "made
out", not realizing that what he is saying has another meaning and it's not
one that people would normally ask about. This has been pointed out to him
time and again but apparently when he was young, that term meant something
else. *shrugs*

At any rate, I'm out of this thread now. I see no reason whatever for me to
be in it any more. No matter what I say, someone is going to attack me
here. Clearly you people are not in *my* world!

Old 23-05-2013, 03:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Julie Bove wrote:
:
[...]

It's doing the kind of thinkg guys wouldn't enjoy like watching old
romantic movies"like they con't make any more." Some women like to go out
a shop together or, who knows, evengo to see chippendales, though that
woueln't be my thing. We are also a bunch of women whose alternative to
this kind of night out is to sit in our houses alone n a sturday night.
We don't exactly find tons of dtes at our age and shapes, but it is better
to be together than sittin ghome alone either on the computer or watching
TV.

Peopele have all kinds of life styles and many of us would not want to
follow yours, but we do hear about it quite a lot, particularly on ASD,
where you shop, how many stores you go to, what you buy, all about your
daughter's dance classes, your issues with your husband, etc. Let this
guy, who is clearly not your type, have his joy with his wife.

Wendy
Old 23-05-2013, 04:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" wrote in message
It's doing the kind of thinkg guys wouldn't enjoy like watching old
romantic movies"like they con't make any more." Some women like to go out
a shop together or, who knows, evengo to see chippendales, though that
woueln't be my thing. We are also a bunch of women whose alternative to
this kind of night out is to sit in our houses alone n a sturday night.
We don't exactly find tons of dtes at our age and shapes, but it is better
to be together than sittin ghome alone either on the computer or watching
TV.

Those types of movies are not appealing to me or my friends either. I
dislike shopping with other people and would certainly never see male exotic
dancers although we did have a club here in the 80's. It didn't make it
though. Some people I worked with liked to go there.

I used to like to go out dancing. I can't dance any more. Aside from that,
I don't really like to go out. I prefer to stay home. But it's not often
that I can do that because I am so busy taxiing people around these days.
My mom just got a shot in her eye like you mentioned. I finally got an
answer about her type of macular degeneration and she said it is the dry and
not the wet but that it could go to wet at any time. She was most distraut
yesterday after getting the shot. Perhaps it was a wakeup call for her.
She is still driving but we don't think she should be. She also said that
she got the shot in her "good eye". To which Angela replied, "What good
eye?" Not to her of course. She seems much in denial there. Or did.

Perhaps if I ever got a chance to settle down and have some time for myself,
I would like to go out again. But right now, some time alone at home is
what I crave. I am a people person but... I can only take so much. It's
like their auras are rubbing off on me or something and I just get to where
I want to go into hermit mode after a while. And I did used to think that
I'd like to be a hermit until I was actually stuck at home for things like
being snowed in, Angela's whooping cough or her more recent bouts of
sickness, cause unknown. And then I want to climb the walls! Yes, I do
have her and two cats. Even though husband has a job here now, his hours
are such that he isn't home much given the commute time and the hours he has
to be there for training. And now that I am only at the dance studio for
one hour per week, I don't even have the company of the people there. Not
that I was there as much as I used to be. I often just drop Angela off now.

It is very rare for me to actually be able to get together with any of my
friends. None live in the city where I do although one lives fairly near
but... She currently has more medical problems that I do and just can't get
out much, nor could I go over there. I have never met her husband but from
what she tells me, I don't want to and I don't think he allows her to have
people over. Again, just going by things she tells me. Another is
recovering from an operation and lives far enough away that there isn't much
I could do to help her given my situation right now. Another lives even
farther away, keeps a hectic work schedule and has much drama going on with
her adult kids and others in her home. The best we can do there is try to
meet up for lunch maybe once every 2 years or so. All three of us actually
did get together when the one bought a new home. That was like a miracle!
But... I had to limit my time there because of my parents. So the two
hours was better than nothing. My other friends in this area are all just
as busy as I am and some are trying like mad to find jobs after having the
store that they worked at closed down. And my other friends live in other
states so... Mostly we stay in touch by Facebook or phone.

Peopele have all kinds of life styles and many of us would not want to
follow yours, but we do hear about it quite a lot, particularly on ASD,
where you shop, how many stores you go to, what you buy, all about your
daughter's dance classes, your issues with your husband, etc. Let this
guy, who is clearly not your type, have his joy with his wife.

I don't mention every single time that I go shopping or what I buy. Or even
how many stores I go to for that matter! I also do not mention much of the
issues with my husband after I was asked not to. Odd that it seems okay for
other people to mention their lives, but not okay for me.

I am not denying him joy with his wife but... When he refers to her as he
does, it would appear anything but joyful to most people. Perhaps not the
people here. Anyway... Out of this thread now! No interest whatever in
fish.

Breaded fish sticks Cheryl[_3_] General Cooking 39 29-11-2013 10:30 PM
recipe request "fish" sticks Car Isaacs Vegan 1 17-11-2007 10:31 PM
Dreaded fish sticks. Andy[_2_] General Cooking 79 05-03-2007 09:23 PM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 3 27-08-2005 07:58 AM
tea sticks I ski for free Tea 0 24-08-2005 08:18 PM