Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Moroccan Chicken Casserole ???

Hi Guys,

This seems like a recipe even I could do.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/moroc...ken-casserole/

The big draw back is that I do not have a food processor to
grind up the cauliflower. I was thinking of just cooking the
cauliflower semi soft and then mashing it with a potato
masher.

Also, I have to leave out some of the spices my sweetness is
allergic to: cumin and coriander. Think it would still work?

And, just putting the lid on my saute pan to simulate the over.

What do you guys think? Any easier recipe? Suggestions?

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/29/2013 11:52 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Remember that I don't add salt, but I do use kosher chickens:-)

Just a funny aside. I finally had a Western Christian not
think I was Jewish when I told him I was Eastern Orthodox.
Not that there is anything wrong with being Jewish. (I do
have the most precious Jewish old doll customer in her 80's.
I love it when even she calls, because we know she hasn't
died on us.) I think it is because there is a messianic
temple in Reno. Or just that "Orthodox" means Jewish to
them. Makes me grin a little bit as I go through all the
other names we are known by until they figure it out.
Even reminding them we wrote the new testament part of
the Bible doesn't seem to ring any bells. They
usually get it when I say Greek Orthodox, but sometimes
I have to go all the way to Russian Orthodox. Then
they think I am Roman Catholic. Causes a bit of more
grinnin' (Not that there is anything wrong with being
Catholic ... I know a bunch of nice ones of them too.)

Can you get Kosher Organic Chicken? Is there any favorite
piece of chicken (leg, thigh, breast) that goes best in
recipe?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/29/2013 01:35 PM, TaniO wrote:
> Google red olives

Hi Tani,

http://greekfood.about.com/od/greekf...Red-Olives.htm

My grocery stores don't carry a lot of stuff you guys does. :'(

Do they taste any different?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
[...]

Well, as you are Eastern Orthodox, let me take this oportunity to wish you
a very Happy Easter this coming Sunday.

In general, I find for wet chicken recipes that dark meat comes out
better. for some reason I don't knwo the science of whit meat, prepared
wet(in liquid) seems to come out very dry but the dark meat is usually
nice a juicy.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/29/2013 02:02 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 04/29/2013 11:52 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > Remember that I don't add salt, but I do use kosher chickens:-)
>
> : Just a funny aside. I finally had a Western Christian not
> : think I was Jewish when I told him I was Eastern Orthodox.
> : Not that there is anything wrong with being Jewish. (I do
> : have the most precious Jewish old doll customer in her 80's.
> : I love it when even she calls, because we know she hasn't
> : died on us.) I think it is because there is a messianic
> : temple in Reno. Or just that "Orthodox" means Jewish to
> : them. Makes me grin a little bit as I go through all the
> : other names we are known by until they figure it out.
> : Even reminding them we wrote the new testament part of
> : the Bible doesn't seem to ring any bells. They
> : usually get it when I say Greek Orthodox, but sometimes
> : I have to go all the way to Russian Orthodox. Then
> : they think I am Roman Catholic. Causes a bit of more
> : grinnin' (Not that there is anything wrong with being
> : Catholic ... I know a bunch of nice ones of them too.)
>
> : Can you get Kosher Organic Chicken? Is there any favorite
> : piece of chicken (leg, thigh, breast) that goes best in
> : recipe?
>
> : -T
>
> Well, as you are Eastern Orthodox, let me take this oportunity to wish you
> a very Happy Easter this coming Sunday.

Thank you! Better make sure I have asparagus available to go with
the Turkey cutlets. (All other suggestions are welcomed!)

> In general, I find for wet chicken recipes that dark meat comes out
> better. for some reason I don't knwo the science of whit meat, prepared
> wet(in liquid) seems to come out very dry but the dark meat is usually
> nice a juicy.
>
> Wendy

Thank you for the confirmation.

Whenever I cook white chicken or turkey, I have to soak it
in salt for a couple of hours at least to keep it from coming
out unpalatable dry. This recipe is already salty enough!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> How do the olives come there? All supermarkets here have different
> varieties of olives in the deli section. Also semi-dried tomatoes, stuffed
> olives and baby peppers, different soft and hard cheeses, roasted
> vegetables etc.

Mostly cans and bottles. Some now come in pouches. I think all stores now
have a deli section. They have the big meats and cheeses that they slice.
Most also have a selection of cold salads and prepared foods. Some have hot
foods like a limited selection of Chinese or fried chicken.

Central Market is the only store I can think of near here with a really good
olive bar. I believe that Whole Foods has one too. And PCC has instead of
a bar, some lidded glass jars in a refrigerated case.

The other stores that have such a thing have a very small bar that also
includes things like pickles, mozzarella balls, marinated mushrooms and
other stuff that I don't eat. Their olive selection might be only 3-4 kinds
and some of those are mixed.

I had to quit buying from olive bars because those olives always made me
very sick to my stomach. I don't know if they are too old, although they
tasted fine, or just too fatty for me. They do seem to be fattier than the
canned and jarred. The canned and jarred have less variety, but are usually
cheaper. Central Market charges $8.99 (I think) per pound on all of their
"bar" food. They also have a huge salad bar, soup bar, cold food bar (most
of which is vegan or vegetarian and needs to be reheated) and an Italian bar
with cheeses, peppers, mushrooms, etc. So depending on what you get, it
could or could not be a good deal. I was furious the day that Angela helped
herself to a large container of cottage cheese! I told her that the next
time she wanted cottage cheese, we would just buy a container! Mostly now
when we do get stuff there it is small amounts of salad things that we don't
have at home. I do try to keep a variety of things in the fridge but
sometimes I only have the greens and maybe some onions and olives.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/28/2013 09:32 PM, Todd wrote:
> This seems like a recipe even I could do.
> http://www.marksdailyapple.com/moroc...ken-casserole/

Gave it a try.

I actually reclaimed my food processor and ran the cauliflower
through the blade I use to use for hash browns. The
cauliflower actually came out like rice. (Yes it was fun.)

I dropped the "garnish" (waste of food), the coriander, cumin,
and the "better call 911" cilantro. I doubled the turmeric
to add the warmth lost by the above.

And, if you are reading the original reference, yes, I doubled
the garlic. So, sue me! (Garlic is proof God loves us, not beer).

Both of us loved it!

The Bunny cracked a Funny: this is what happens when Spanish
Rice goes bad.

This is the recipe I came up with. It is a work in progress.
Any alternations/amendments/suggestions are always appreciated!

Thank you all for the help and moral support. You guys are
a blessing.

I actually cooked something nice! Go figure. :-)

-T

Moroccan Chicken Casserole:
Original reference:
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/moroc...ken-casserole/

Ingredients:

8 pieces of chicklen (thighs and/or legs), ~ 2 to 4 lbs
1 small head cauliflower
2 tablespoons butter
1 onion, finely chopped
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
3 small carrots, sliced
1 teaspoon paprika
2 teaspoon turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sprinkle of cayenne
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips, then in half
3 big tomatoes diced
1/4 cup minced parsley
2 tsp salt
1 cup water

Directions:

The base of the casserole is cauliflower grated into a rice-like
texture. Chop the head of cauliflower into small pieces. Push the
pieces through a food processor using the grating blade. Spread
the grated cauliflower out in a 9×13 rectangular baking pan.
cauliflower rice

Salt and pepper the chicken. Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a
saute pan over medium high heat. Add the chicken, browning well,
about 3-5 minutes a side.

Remove the chicken from the hot pan and set aside. Turn heat down
to medium and add onion, ginger, garlic and carrots. Cook until the
onions are soft. Add remaining tablespoon of butter and all spices.
Stir well.

Add red pepper, the can of tomatoes, minced parsley, water and salt.
Return the chicken to the saute pan and simmer for 3-5 minutes.

Pour the chicken mixture over the cauliflower and mix really well,
so the cauliflower is completely covered by the sauce. Cover the
pan and bake for 35 minutes on medium low. Remove the lid and cook
for 25 minutes more.