Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Need white meat turkey help

Hi All,

Pascha (Orthodox Easter) is around the corner (May 5th) and I
cook turkey breast cutlets for it. (I like to cook a lot for
Bright Week -- the week following Pascha. The Trophy
Wife and I love to watch videos and pig out.)

Okay, I think that big old turkey bird is stupid. You work your
ass off and barely get anything out of it. (And, I have no
access to an oven.)

So, I buy turkey cutlets from Trader Joe's -- enough to fill
one of my 12" saute pans. Usually two packages.

I soak them in a ton of sea salt and cold water in a stainless
steal pot (my 6L pressure cooker) for at least two hours.

Then, in the saute pan on low heat, I add butter, EVOO, Black
Pepper, Parsley, Basel, Rosemary, Thyme, slices of Garlic (about
five cloves). I wait for the arouma to start coming off.

Then I add the cutlets on medium low heat for about five minutes
and flip. Add more seasoning to top. Cook another five or so
minutes. Then, being careful not to over cook, slice an
inconspicuous spot to test for doneness.

And, I get more leftovers than the big old stupid bird. And
NO BACK PROBLEMS!

Questions:

1) I usually make Asparagus with it, but since I cook
asparagus a lot now days, I am afraid I will get tired of
it. What would you cook with it?

2) How would you improve anything I describe above?

3) What are the dripping good for now that I can't make
gravy? (Remember, 15 I have a 15 carb per meal limit.)

You guys are a blessing!

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Pascha (Orthodox Easter) is around the corner (May 5th) and I
> cook turkey breast cutlets for it. (I like to cook a lot for
> Bright Week -- the week following Pascha. The Trophy
> Wife and I love to watch videos and pig out.)
>
> Okay, I think that big old turkey bird is stupid. You work your
> ass off and barely get anything out of it. (And, I have no
> access to an oven.)
>
> So, I buy turkey cutlets from Trader Joe's -- enough to fill
> one of my 12" saute pans. Usually two packages.
>
> I soak them in a ton of sea salt and cold water in a stainless
> steal pot (my 6L pressure cooker) for at least two hours.
>
> Then, in the saute pan on low heat, I add butter, EVOO, Black
> Pepper, Parsley, Basel, Rosemary, Thyme, slices of Garlic (about
> five cloves). I wait for the arouma to start coming off.
>
> Then I add the cutlets on medium low heat for about five minutes
> and flip. Add more seasoning to top. Cook another five or so
> minutes. Then, being careful not to over cook, slice an
> inconspicuous spot to test for doneness.
>
> And, I get more leftovers than the big old stupid bird. And
> NO BACK PROBLEMS!
>
> Questions:
>
> 1) I usually make Asparagus with it, but since I cook
> asparagus a lot now days, I am afraid I will get tired of
> it. What would you cook with it?

Well, I wouldn't cook it at all but... Don't like asparagus either. But
husband likes asparagus. It's expensive though so he only gets it about 2-3
times a year. Green beans are the preferred vegetable in this house.

> 2) How would you improve anything I describe above?

I would make something else but that's me.

> 3) What are the dripping good for now that I can't make
> gravy? (Remember, 15 I have a 15 carb per meal limit.)

Why can't you make gravy? Can't you use guar gum for thickening?

> You guys are a blessing!
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
[...]

Since you clearly wouldn't have akosher issues, you could make unbreaded turkey parmigian
using some tomaItalian tomato sauce and putting some mozzarella cheese and parmigian
cheese on top of the tomato suaced cutlets, which you have lightly sautees. since you
don't have an oven, put them in the pan ocver with sauce , then slices of mozzarella and
thensprinkle iwth grated parmigan, COVER the pan and cook with a LOW flame until hot
through and the cheese is nice and melty. since you have mostly cooked the turkey before
puttign the dish together it would not need a long coking with danger of burning. Remeber
LOW FLAME to prvent burning and check a few times. No idea of times for this as I
usually woudl bake my eggplant parmigian in the oven. Just trying to adapt for your
situation.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/20/2013 06:14 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : Pascha (Orthodox Easter) is around the corner (May 5th) and I
> : cook turkey breast cutlets for it. (I like to cook a lot for
> : Bright Week -- the week following Pascha. The Trophy
> : Wife and I love to watch videos and pig out.)
>
> : Okay, I think that big old turkey bird is stupid. You work your
> : ass off and barely get anything out of it. (And, I have no
> : access to an oven.)
>
> : So, I buy turkey cutlets from Trader Joe's -- enough to fill
> : one of my 12" saute pans. Usually two packages.
>
> : I soak them in a ton of sea salt and cold water in a stainless
> : steal pot (my 6L pressure cooker) for at least two hours.
>
> : Then, in the saute pan on low heat, I add butter, EVOO, Black
> : Pepper, Parsley, Basel, Rosemary, Thyme, slices of Garlic (about
> : five cloves). I wait for the arouma to start coming off.
>
> : Then I add the cutlets on medium low heat for about five minutes
> : and flip. Add more seasoning to top. Cook another five or so
> : minutes. Then, being careful not to over cook, slice an
> : inconspicuous spot to test for doneness.
>
> : And, I get more leftovers than the big old stupid bird. And
> : NO BACK PROBLEMS!
>
> : Questions:
>
> : 1) I usually make Asparagus with it, but since I cook
> : asparagus a lot now days, I am afraid I will get tired of
> : it. What would you cook with it?
>
> : 2) How would you improve anything I describe above?
>
> : 3) What are the dripping good for now that I can't make
> : gravy? (Remember, 15 I have a 15 carb per meal limit.)
>

> : You guys are a blessing!
>
> : Many thanks,
> : -T
>
> Since you clearly wouldn't have akosher issues, you could make unbreaded turkey parmigian
> using some tomaItalian tomato sauce and putting some mozzarella cheese and parmigian
> cheese on top of the tomato suaced cutlets, which you have lightly sautees. since you
> don't have an oven, put them in the pan ocver with sauce , then slices of mozzarella and
> thensprinkle iwth grated parmigan, COVER the pan and cook with a LOW flame until hot
> through and the cheese is nice and melty. since you have mostly cooked the turkey before
> puttign the dish together it would not need a long coking with danger of burning. Remeber
> LOW FLAME to prvent burning and check a few times. No idea of times for this as I
> usually woudl bake my eggplant parmigian in the oven. Just trying to adapt for your
> situation.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Thank you!