Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Food sources of L-Carnitine and Folate

Hi All,

Nice reference for food sources of L-Carnitine:
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...uts/carnitine/

L-Carnitine Content of Selected Foods
Food Serving L-Carnitine (mg)
Beef steak 3 ounces 81
Ground beef 3 ounces 80
Pork 3 ounces 24
Canadian bacon 3 ounces 20
Milk (whole) 8 fluid oz (1 cup) 8
Fish (cod) 3 ounces 5
Chicken breast 3 ounces 3
Ice cream 4 ounces (1/2 cup) 3
Avocado 1 medium 2
American cheese 1 ounce 1
Whole-wheat bread 2 slices 0.2
Asparagus 6 spears (1/2 cup) 0.2

Food sources of Folate (for the Beef above to neutralize
the homocystein).

DO NOT USE YEAST EXTRACT: it is a potent excitotoxin (free
glutamic acid).

http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Fol...hProfessional/

Food mcg DFE per serving
Beef liver, braised, 3 ounces 215
Spinach, boiled, ½ cup 131
Black-eyed peas (cowpeas), boiled, ½ cup 105
Breakfast cereals, fortified with 25% of the DV 100
Rice, white, medium-grain, cooked, ½ cup† 90
Asparagus, boiled, 4 spears 89
Spaghetti, cooked, enriched, ½ cup† 83
Brussels sprouts, frozen, boiled, ½ cup 78
Lettuce, romaine, shredded, 1 cup 64
Avocado, raw, sliced, ½ cup 59
Spinach, raw, 1 cup 58
Broccoli, chopped, frozen, cooked, ½ cup 52
Green peas, frozen, boiled, ½ cup 47
Kidney beans, canned, ½ cup 46
Bread, white, 1 slice† 43
Peanuts, dry roasted, 1 ounce 41
Wheat germ, 2 tablespoons 40
Tomato juice, canned, ¾ cup 36
Crab, Dungeness, 3 ounces 36
Orange juice, ¾ cup 35
Turnip greens, frozen, boiled, ½ cup 32
Orange, fresh, 1 small 29
Papaya, raw, cubed, ½ cup 27
Banana, 1 medium 24
Yeast, baker’s, ¼ teaspoon 23
Egg, whole, hard-boiled, 1 large 22
Vegetarian baked beans, canned, ½ cup 15
Cantaloupe, raw, 1 wedge 14
Fish, halibut, cooked, 3 ounces 12
Milk, 1% fat, 1 cup 12
Ground beef, 85% lean, cooked, 3 ounces 7
Chicken breast, roasted, ½ breast 3

Hmmmmm. Asparagus and Steak. Life is good. Oh! And,
hot sauce! (Omnivores rule.)

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

Sorry, I've been distracted.
There are no randomized blinded studies with L carnitine in terms of
prevention of heart attack or sudden death.
<http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Carnitine-HealthProfessional/>

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/10/2013 02:28 PM, Billy wrote:
> In >, >
> wrote:
>
> Sorry, I've been distracted.
> There are no randomized blinded studies with L carnitine in terms of
> prevention of heart attack or sudden death.
> <http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Carnitine-HealthProfessional/>

Everything but ...

It does sound like a good study to do.

I know autopsy studies on trauma deaths show no correlation
with serum cholesterol.

Some stuff on the heart in the below links. Did not read over
any of them to see how well they came out.

Anecdotally speaking, I fee better when I eat beef and/or lamb
(red meat is the best source). And all those weird studies
on meat causing heart problems is on *processed meat*. If
you read the fine print, health is better for folks that
eat the real/natural meat than the general population.

And, Life Extension has some studies that show good effect
for carnitine with Diabetes. (I posted that before. Let me
know if you want it again and can't find it.)

Hope this is what you are looking for. Some on the heart and
circulation.

-T

asthenozoospermia:
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15193480

amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23421600

Narcolepsy
http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0053707

peripheral vascular disease
http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/77/4/767.full.pdf

Weakness, Muscle Fatigue and Muscle Pain in the Postpoliomyelitis Syndrome
http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01549847

idiopathic asthenozoospermia
http://www.fertstert.org/article/S00...230-6/abstract

Linus Pauling's anaylis
http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...uts/carnitine/

myocardial infarction
http://pmj.bmj.com/content/72/843/45

Alzheimer's dementia
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2178869

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 05/10/2013 02:28 PM, Billy wrote:

> <http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Carnitine-HealthProfessional/>

Really nice reference. Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 05/10/2013 02:28 PM, Billy wrote:
> > In >, >
> > wrote:
> >
> > Sorry, I've been distracted.
> > There are no randomized blinded studies with L carnitine in terms of
> > prevention of heart attack or sudden death.
> > <http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Carnitine-HealthProfessional/>

> Everything but ...
>
> It does sound like a good study to do.
>
> I know autopsy studies on trauma deaths show no correlation
> with serum cholesterol.
>
> Some stuff on the heart in the below links. Did not read over
> any of them to see how well they came out.
>
> Anecdotally speaking, I fee better when I eat beef and/or lamb
> (red meat is the best source). And all those weird studies
> on meat causing heart problems is on *processed meat*. If
> you read the fine print, health is better for folks that
> eat the real/natural meat than the general population.
>
> And, Life Extension has some studies that show good effect
> for carnitine with Diabetes. (I posted that before. Let me
> know if you want it again and can't find it.)
>
> Hope this is what you are looking for. Some on the heart and
> circulation.
>
> -T

Thanks, I'm always looking for the fountain of youth, but this doesn't
appear to be it.

"Carnitine is often promoted as an aid for weight loss, to improve
exercise performance, and to enhance a sense of well-being [2]. It is
also a drug approved by the Food and Drug Administration to treat
primary and certain secondary carnitine-deficiency syndromes."
- Ibid

> asthenozoospermia:
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15193480
>
> amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS):
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23421600
>
> Narcolepsy
> http://www.plosone.org/article/info:...l.pone.0053707
>
> peripheral vascular disease
> http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/77/4/767.full.pdf
>
> Weakness, Muscle Fatigue and Muscle Pain in the Postpoliomyelitis Syndrome
> http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01549847
>
> idiopathic asthenozoospermia
> http://www.fertstert.org/article/S00...230-6/abstract
>
> Linus Pauling's anaylis
> http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocente...uts/carnitine/
>
> myocardial infarction
> http://pmj.bmj.com/content/72/843/45
>
> Alzheimer's dementia
> http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/2178869

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Food sources of L-Carnitine and Folate Colt T Diabetic 11 18-05-2013 11:53 PM
Carnitine nonsense refuted Todd Diabetic 1 20-04-2013 09:06 AM
Nepalese Tea -- net sources? Ozzy Tea 7 31-05-2006 04:09 AM
U.S. sources of uni? Frank D. Greco Sushi 1 12-10-2004 10:07 PM