Old 24-04-2013, 05:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sausage spices?

On 04/17/2013 05:54 AM, W. Baker wrote:
I use a simple device called a knife with which I quarter and core the apples.
This can easily be a team effort.I cook the sauce with the skin on (better color)
and then either remove the skins to a old fashioned foley food mill and put them
through it or you can , to save picking out the skins, just put all the sauce
through the food mill, but I like the rougher textured applesauce. You can, if you
wish peel and core the apple when raw and make it without the skins saving burning
your fingertips when picking them out of he hot sauce. tis ob is definitely a team
effort!

Just a little wter in the bottom of the pot to get everything started then cook on
lowo to medium flame covred, stiring occasionally until everything is soft and
applesaucy. Add leomon juice at the beginning and some cinnamon. When done, taste
and add more cinnamon if desired.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Have you tried "Ceylon" or "True" cinnamon. It has a sweeter,
less bitter taste. And, for those of us (T2's) that use "a lot"
of cinnamon, it has far less of the ingredient that hurts your
liver (regular cinnamon only causes harm in very, very large doses).

Ceylon is my favorite cinnamon.

-T

Old 24-04-2013, 02:08 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

:
: Just a little wter in the bottom of the pot to get everything started then cook on
: lowo to medium flame covred, stiring occasionally until everything is soft and
: applesaucy. Add leomon juice at the beginning and some cinnamon. When done, taste
: and add more cinnamon if desired.
:
: Wendy

: Hi Wendy,

: Have you tried "Ceylon" or "True" cinnamon. It has a sweeter,
: less bitter taste. And, for those of us (T2's) that use "a lot"
: of cinnamon, it has far less of the ingredient that hurts your
: liver (regular cinnamon only causes harm in very, very large doses).

: Ceylon is my favorite cinnamon.

: -T

I use various cinnamons and like them all. I have never herd this liver
business and assume that in the amount I use for flavorng there woudl be
no issue. Some oeple use large amounts of cinamon to keep their bgs down
but the results have been variable. Some us tumeric for the same purpose,
but I don't know much aboaut how well that works either. I use them for
flavoring , not medicine.

Wendy
Old 24-04-2013, 09:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/24/2013 06:08 AM, W. Baker wrote:
I have never herd this liver
business and assume that in the amount I use for flavorng there woudl be
no issue. Some oeple use large amounts of cinamon to keep their bgs down
but the results have been variable

Hi Wendy,

"Cassia" is regular cinnamon in the reference below. You
really, really have to use a lot of it to be a problem.
The Cinnulin extract that is popular for BG is cassia,
but it is water extracted, which leaves the bad stuff behind.

-T

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon

Due to the presence of a moderately toxic component
called coumarin, European health agencies have recently
warned against consuming large amounts of cassia.[26]
This is contained in much lower dosages in Cinnamomum
burmannii due to its low essential oil content.[citation
needed] Coumarin is known to cause liver and kidney damage
in high concentrations. Measurements of coumarin in
ceylon cinnamon are much lower than those in cassia.[27][28]

26) Harris, Emily. German Christmas Cookies Pose Health Danger.
National Public Radio. Retrieved 2007-05-01

27) High daily intakes of cinnamon: Health risk cannot be ruled
out. BfR Health Assessment No. 044/2006, 18 August 2006

28) "Espoo daycare centre bans cinnamon as "moderately toxic
to liver"". Retrieved 2010-09-05.