Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sausage spices?

Hi All,

If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
what spices would I use?

This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408

and this one

http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209

It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.

And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.

Many thanks,
-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: Hi All,

: If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
: what spices would I use?

: This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
: http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408

: and this one

: http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209

: It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.

: And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.

: Many thanks,
: -T

Penzy(or Penzey-not sure which spelling), has a breakfast sausage spice
mix. I have not tried it, but they are a good spice company, if not
especially cheap. They are on line so yu might explore that. I don't
know if they use coriander, but they alwasy list the spices in a mix so
you can check.

In ay even their website can be fun to explore.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:29:35 +0000, W. Baker wrote:

> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
> : what spices would I use?
>
> : This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
> : http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408
>
> : and this one
>
> : http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209
>
> : It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
>
> : And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
>
> : Many thanks,
> : -T
>
> Penzy(or Penzey-not sure which spelling), has a breakfast sausage spice
> mix. I have not tried it, but they are a good spice company, if not
> especially cheap. They are on line so yu might explore that. I don't
> know if they use coriander, but they alwasy list the spices in a mix so
> you can check.
>
> In ay even their website can be fun to explore.

I have used their breakfast sausage seasoning, it is quite good with
ground pork. It isn't hot at all, if you like heat it wouldn't be a good
choice.

I have used a mix of red pepper flakes, sage, salt and pepper for
breakfast sausage.

basilisk

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Hi All,

If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
what spices would I use?

This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408

and this one

Turkey Breakfast Sausage

It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.

And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.

Many thanks,
-T
Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks and babies.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/30/2013 05:29 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : Hi All,
>
> : If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
> : what spices would I use?
>
> : This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
> : http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408
>
> : and this one
>
> : http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209
>
> : It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
>
> : And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
>
> : Many thanks,
> : -T
>
> Penzy(or Penzey-not sure which spelling), has a breakfast sausage spice
> mix. I have not tried it, but they are a good spice company, if not
> especially cheap. They are on line so yu might explore that. I don't
> know if they use coriander, but they alwasy list the spices in a mix so
> you can check.
>
> In ay even their website can be fun to explore.
>
> Wendy

Thank you!

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...breakfast.html

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
> what spices would I use?
>
> This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
> http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408
>
> and this one
>
> http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209
>
> It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
>
> And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
>
> Many thanks,
> -T

Looks like an easy web search. "turkey sausage spices"

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"bigwheel" > wrote in message

> Todd;1824913 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
>> what spices would I use?
>>
>> This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
>> (http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408)
>>
>> and this one
>>
>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
>> (http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209)
>>
>> It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
>>
>> And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
> and babies.

That's not true!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/30/2013 12:41 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1824913 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
>> what spices would I use?
>>
>> This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
>> (http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408)
>>
>> and this one
>>
>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
>> (http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209)
>>
>> It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
>>
>> And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
> and babies.

Lol!

I have always thought sausages with sweeteners were weird: apple,
maple, raspberry, etc.. Nice once, but never a second time.

Oh, changing the subject a little, I picked up some of that
Bragg apple cider vinegar (with the mother!). What a great
tip. It is the only vinegar I use anymore. And, you were right
about it working on indigestion -- who would have thought!
Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/30/2013 12:41 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1824913 Wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
>> what spices would I use?
>>
>> This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
>> (http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408)
>>
>> and this one
>>
>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
>> (http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209)
>>
>> It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
>>
>> And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T

> Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
> and babies.

Hi All,

This is what I think I have settled on: ground turkey, salt, fennel
seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder.

My Sweetness is allergic to Sage, Coriander, Cilantro, All Spice,
Cumin.

What think ye of my formula/recipe?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 16:05:52 -0700, Todd wrote:

> On 03/30/2013 12:41 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>> Todd;1824913 Wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
>>> what spices would I use?
>>>
>>> This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
>>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
>>> (http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408)
>>>
>>> and this one
>>>
>>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
>>> (http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209)
>>>
>>> It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
>>>
>>> And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
>>>
>>> Many thanks,
>>> -T

>> Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
>> and babies.

> Hi All,
>
> This is what I think I have settled on: ground turkey, salt, fennel
> seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder.
>
> My Sweetness is allergic to Sage, Coriander, Cilantro, All Spice,
> Cumin.
>
> What think ye of my formula/recipe?
>
> -T

todd, be aware that freshly mixed sausage will take overnight in
the fridge to develope full flavor from the spices.

basilisk

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/02/2013 08:52 AM, basilisk wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 16:05:52 -0700, Todd wrote:

>>> Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
>>> and babies.

>> Hi All,
>>
>> This is what I think I have settled on: ground turkey, salt, fennel
>> seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder.
>>
>> My Sweetness is allergic to Sage, Coriander, Cilantro, All Spice,
>> Cumin.
>>
>> What think ye of my formula/recipe?
>>
>> -T

> todd, be aware that freshly mixed sausage will take overnight in
> the fridge to develope full flavor from the spices.
>
> basilisk

Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

basilisk > wrote:
: On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 16:05:52 -0700, Todd wrote:

: > On 03/30/2013 12:41 PM, bigwheel wrote:
: >> Todd;1824913 Wrote:
: >>> Hi All,
: >>>
: >>> If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
: >>> what spices would I use?
: >>>
: >>> This recipe look easy. Any better ones: >>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
: >>> (http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408)
: >>>
: >>> and this one
: >>>
: >>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
: >>> (http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209)
: >>>
: >>> It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
: >>>
: >>> And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
: >>>
: >>> Many thanks,
: >>> -T
: >>
: >> Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
: >> and babies.
: >
: > Hi All,
: >
: > This is what I think I have settled on: ground turkey, salt, fennel
: > seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder.
: >
: > My Sweetness is allergic to Sage, Coriander, Cilantro, All Spice,
: > Cumin.
: >
: > What think ye of my formula/recipe?
: >
: > -T

: todd, be aware that freshly mixed sausage will take overnight in
: the fridge to develope full flavor from the spices.

: basilisk

Try maaking a fairly small amount, say enough for one meal adn see how it
tastes. If you and yoru wife like it, then it's fine!

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/02/2013 04:05 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> basilisk > wrote:
> : On Mon, 01 Apr 2013 16:05:52 -0700, Todd wrote:
>
> : > On 03/30/2013 12:41 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> : >> Todd;1824913 Wrote:
> : >>> Hi All,
> : >>>
> : >>> If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
> : >>> what spices would I use?
> : >>>
> : >>> This recipe look easy. Any better ones: >>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
> : >>> (http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...patties-100408)
> : >>>
> : >>> and this one
> : >>>
> : >>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
> : >>> (http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...mbedRecipe_209)
> : >>>
> : >>> It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
> : >>>
> : >>> And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
> : >>>
> : >>> Many thanks,
> : >>> -T
> : >>
> : >> Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
> : >> and babies.
> : >
> : > Hi All,
> : >
> : > This is what I think I have settled on: ground turkey, salt, fennel
> : > seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder.
> : >
> : > My Sweetness is allergic to Sage, Coriander, Cilantro, All Spice,
> : > Cumin.
> : >
> : > What think ye of my formula/recipe?
> : >
> : > -T
>
> : todd, be aware that freshly mixed sausage will take overnight in
> : the fridge to develope full flavor from the spices.
>
> : basilisk
>
> Try maaking a fairly small amount, say enough for one meal adn see how it
> tastes. If you and yoru wife like it, then it's fine!
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Excellent idea. Thank you.

What do you think of adding a bit of Oregano?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: > : > Hi All,
: > : >
[...]

Can't hurt, but might give it a bit of an Italian flavor. If you like it,
fine,if ot don't use it the next time.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/03/2013 03:01 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : > : > Hi All,
> : > : >
> : > : > This is what I think I have settled on: ground turkey, salt, fennel
> : > : > seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder.
> : > : >
> : > : > My Sweetness is allergic to Sage, Coriander, Cilantro, All Spice,
> : > : > Cumin.
> : > : >
> : > : > What think ye of my formula/recipe?
> : > : >
> : > : > -T
> : >
> : > : todd, be aware that freshly mixed sausage will take overnight in
> : > : the fridge to develope full flavor from the spices.
> : >
> : > : basilisk
> : >
> : > Try maaking a fairly small amount, say enough for one meal adn see how it
> : > tastes. If you and yoru wife like it, then it's fine!
> : >
> : > Wendy
> : >
>
> : Hi Wendy,
>
> : Excellent idea. Thank you.
>
> : What do you think of adding a bit of Oregano?
>
> : -T
>
> Can't hurt, but might give it a bit of an Italian flavor. If you like it,
> fine,if ot don't use it the next time.
>
> Wendy

Hi All,

Tried it with a little oregano, mainly to sanitize any remaining
bacteria on me freshly washed hands when I mixed the spices into
the turkey meat (a real chore). Used a little too much pepper.
And, I should have used more butter in the pan to offset the low
fat content of the ground turkey. I think it might have taken a
bit more fennel and maybe added a bit of rosemary. I let it
set for 2-1/2 days before cooking it up. Used 3 lbs of TJ's
cage free ground turkey.

Other than that, both of us loved it. Needed eggs over easy
to complete the circle.

Thank you all for the tips and suggestions!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/08/2013 05:20 PM, Todd wrote:
> ground turkey, salt, fennel
> seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder

Update:

I had to cut back on the black pepper to about a
teaspoon.

I substituted Ancho pepper for Cayenne pepper --
more flavor, less heat.

I also added some Rosemary. And I cut back on the fennel
seeds -- helps with the weird burps.

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/15/2013 01:22 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1825410 Wrote:
>> On 03/30/2013 12:41 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
>> Todd;1824913 Wrote:-
>> Hi All,
>>
>> If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
>> what spices would I use?
>>
>> This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
>> ('Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
>> (http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...atties-100408))
>>
>> and this one
>>
>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
>> ('Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
>> (http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...bedRecipe_209))
>>
>> It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
>>
>> And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T-
>>
>> Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
>> and babies.-
>>
>> Lol!
>>
>> I have always thought sausages with sweeteners were weird: apple,
>> maple, raspberry, etc.. Nice once, but never a second time.
>>
>> Oh, changing the subject a little, I picked up some of that
>> Bragg apple cider vinegar (with the mother!). What a great
>> tip. It is the only vinegar I use anymore. And, you were right
>> about it working on indigestion -- who would have thought!
>> Thank you!
>>
>> -T

> Well glad you like it. I just drink it out of the bottle sometimes..lol.
> One thing I noticed..its a bit stout for making chow chow and other
> pickled type stuff. I cut it half and half with either regular old apple
> cider vinegar or even white vinegar for chores like that. Seems to give
> a better finished product and do not come out as cloudy.

What is "Chow Chow"?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

bigwheel > wrote:

: 'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
: > ;1825409']"bigwheel" wrote in
: > message
: > ...-
: >
: > Todd;1824913 Wrote:-
: > Hi All,
: >
: > If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
: > what spices would I use?
: >
: > This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
: > 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
: > ('Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
: > (
http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...atties-100408))
: >
: > and this one
: >
: > 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
: > ('Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
: > (http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...bedRecipe_209))
: >
: > It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
: >
: > And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
: >
: > Many thanks,
: > -T-
: >
: > Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
: > and babies.-
: >
: > That's not true!

: You sure? I dont never even see the stuff cept in the horspital or the
: nursing homes. I know babies like it. Right? Tree Top is the best. I can
: smell Motts and start heaving.

In my family everyone lokes applesauce. I make it using various apples, adding
only a little fresh lemon juice and plenty of cinnamon to make a very tasty dessert
with no added sugar. I like to make it in the Fall when there are a great
assortment of various apples unavailable the rest of the year adn in our area,
which can be found at very good priced paraticularly in quantity.

Wendy

: --
: bigwheel
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/16/2013 06:27 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> : > Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
> : > and babies.-
> : >
> : > That's not true!
>
> : You sure? I dont never even see the stuff cept in the horspital or the
> : nursing homes. I know babies like it. Right? Tree Top is the best. I can
> : smell Motts and start heaving.
>
> In my family everyone lokes applesauce. I make it using various apples, adding
> only a little fresh lemon juice and plenty of cinnamon to make a very tasty dessert
> with no added sugar. I like to make it in the Fall when there are a great
> assortment of various apples unavailable the rest of the year adn in our area,
> which can be found at very good priced paraticularly in quantity.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

He is teasing. And pretty funny at that. (Baby food
is kind of gross.)

Make sure the diabetic neuropathy does cause
your funny bone to fall off. Life is too miserable
without a funny bone.

And, me? I never have to explain my jokes. Never!
Never I tell you! Not once that I can ever think of!
(Okay, all the time. You get use to it.)

-T

unsweetened applesauce: 28 carbs per cups
http://www.nutrientfacts.com/FoodPag...Applesauce.htm

I can have about 1/4 cup. (15 carbs max per meal; 60 per day.)

A friend has an apple tree. She give us golf ball sized
apples (she has huge ones too). They are so good. Hard
to hold on to though. I wind up eating a lot of seeds.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/14/2013 09:47 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 04/08/2013 05:20 PM, Todd wrote:
>> ground turkey, salt, fennel
>> seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder

> Update:
>
> I had to cut back on the black pepper to about a
> teaspoon.
>
> I substituted Ancho pepper for Cayenne pepper --
> more flavor, less heat.
>
> I also added some Rosemary. And I cut back on the fennel
> seeds -- helps with the weird burps.
>
> -T

Oh ya, and I drizzled a little EVOO on it after
I spread in out in the pan. Helps with the
low fat nature of ground turkey.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/16/2013 06:27 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> In my family everyone lokes applesauce. I make it using various apples, adding
> only a little fresh lemon juice and plenty of cinnamon to make a very tasty dessert
> with no added sugar.

Hi Wendy,

Is the lemon juice to keep the apple sauce from turning
brown, to add a flavor component, or both? Inquiring
minds must know!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/16/2013 04:41 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> Todd;1828701 Wrote:
>> On 04/15/2013 01:22 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
>> Todd;1825410 Wrote:-
>> On 03/30/2013 12:41 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
>> Todd;1824913 Wrote:-
>> Hi All,
>>
>> If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
>> what spices would I use?
>>
>> This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
>> ('Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
>> (http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...atties-100408))
>>
>> and this one
>>
>> 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
>> ('Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
>> ('Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
>> (http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...edRecipe_209)))
>>
>> It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
>>
>> And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T-
>>
>> Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
>> and babies.-
>>
>> Lol!
>>
>> I have always thought sausages with sweeteners were weird: apple,
>> maple, raspberry, etc.. Nice once, but never a second time.
>>
>> Oh, changing the subject a little, I picked up some of that
>> Bragg apple cider vinegar (with the mother!). What a great
>> tip. It is the only vinegar I use anymore. And, you were right
>> about it working on indigestion -- who would have thought!
>> Thank you!
>>
>> -T-
>>
>> Well glad you like it. I just drink it out of the bottle
>> sometimes..lol.
>> One thing I noticed..its a bit stout for making chow chow and other
>> pickled type stuff. I cut it half and half with either regular old
>> apple
>> cider vinegar or even white vinegar for chores like that. Seems to
>> give
>> a better finished product and do not come out as cloudy.-
>>
>> What is "Chow Chow"?

> Dang..glad somebody axed about that..lol. Its a Southern and Texas type
> spicy sweet relish. Normally served with pinto beans..fried
> tates..cornbread and other red neck soul food. Base usually composed of
> either cabbage and or green tomaters. I do cabbage since it easier to
> find. This is my favorite recipe with a few tweaks like adding some
> japalino peppers and cayenne to give it some pizzaz. My friends Mama
> wins the chow chow contest at the State Fair nearly each year. I am
> still trying to pry that recipe outta his tight coola. In the meantime
> try this. Sub out some food grade glycerine for the sugar since dont you
> have some food issues with sugar? Glycerine do not effect that.
>
> 'Southern Sweet Chow-Chow Relish - The Mountain Laurel'
> (http://tinyurl.com/cxhv2b6)

Hi Bigwheel,

Do you can yours?

I would probably use Stevia as a sweeter. Ya, I know
it tastes like gasoline, but I am use to it.

This is possible over my head. I burn butter and eggplant.
Very interesting though. Someday I will get good enough.
Never quit. Thank you!

Just out of curiosity, if your front porch were to collapse,
how many dogs would die?

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 04/16/2013 06:27 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> > : > Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
> > : > and babies.-
> > : >
> > : > That's not true!
> >
> > : You sure? I dont never even see the stuff cept in the horspital or the
> > : nursing homes. I know babies like it. Right? Tree Top is the best. I can
> > : smell Motts and start heaving.
> >
> > In my family everyone lokes applesauce. I make it using various apples,
> > adding
> > only a little fresh lemon juice and plenty of cinnamon to make a very tasty
> > dessert
> > with no added sugar. I like to make it in the Fall when there are a great
> > assortment of various apples unavailable the rest of the year adn in our
> > area,
> > which can be found at very good priced paraticularly in quantity.
> >
> > Wendy

> Hi Wendy,
>
> He is teasing. And pretty funny at that. (Baby food
> is kind of gross.)
>
> Make sure the diabetic neuropathy does cause
> your funny bone to fall off. Life is too miserable
> without a funny bone.
>
> And, me? I never have to explain my jokes. Never!
> Never I tell you! Not once that I can ever think of!
> (Okay, all the time. You get use to it.)
>
> -T
>
> unsweetened applesauce: 28 carbs per cups
> http://www.nutrientfacts.com/FoodPag...Applesauce.htm
>
> I can have about 1/4 cup. (15 carbs max per meal; 60 per day.)
>
> A friend has an apple tree. She give us golf ball sized
> apples (she has huge ones too). They are so good. Hard
> to hold on to though. I wind up eating a lot of seeds.

For, not in, Piccalilli sauce would be a good accompaniment for sausage,
or paté.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/16/2013 10:25 PM, Billy wrote:
> Piccalilli sauce

Made me look it up. What was the connection to apples?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

bigwheel > wrote:

: W. Baker;1828724 Wrote:
: > bigwheel wrote:
: >
: > : 'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
: > : ;1825409']"bigwheel"
wrote in
: > : message
: > : ...-
: > :
: > : Todd;1824913 Wrote:-
: > : Hi All,
: > :
[...]
: > : --
: > : bigwheel

: Wow..thanks for the inspiration on that. I have two apple trees in the
: back yard. Mostly I make wine and a few cobblers. I will put applesauce
: on the to do list. I did not know folks really liked to eat it. How much
: do it cost for the apple smusher gizmo? Or can you just beat it with a
: board? That is how I do for wine. Let me know.

: --
: bigwheel

I use a simple device called a knife with which I quarter and core the apples.
This can easily be a team effort.I cook the sauce with the skin on (better color)
and then either remove the skins to a old fashioned foley food mill and put them
through it or you can , to save picking out the skins, just put all the sauce
through the food mill, but I like the rougher textured applesauce. You can, if you
wish peel and core the apple when raw and make it without the skins saving burning
your fingertips when picking them out of he hot sauce. tis ob is definitely a team
effort!

Just a little wter in the bottom of the pot to get everything started then cook on
lowo to medium flame covred, stiring occasionally until everything is soft and
applesaucy. Add leomon juice at the beginning and some cinnamon. When done, taste
and add more cinnamon if desired.

Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: On 04/16/2013 06:27 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: > In my family everyone lokes applesauce. I make it using various apples, adding
: > only a little fresh lemon juice and plenty of cinnamon to make a very tasty dessert
: > with no added sugar.

: Hi Wendy,

: Is the lemon juice to keep the apple sauce from turning
: brown, to add a flavor component, or both? Inquiring
: minds must know!

: -T

for flavor. the applesauce, particularly with te cinnamon is basically, brown.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 04/16/2013 10:25 PM, Billy wrote:
> > Piccalilli sauce

> Made me look it up. What was the connection to apples?

Apples? Look at the subject thread.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/16/2013 03:54 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 04/14/2013 09:47 PM, Todd wrote:
>> On 04/08/2013 05:20 PM, Todd wrote:
>>> ground turkey, salt, fennel
>>> seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder

>> Update:
>>
>> I had to cut back on the black pepper to about a
>> teaspoon.
>>
>> I substituted Ancho pepper for Cayenne pepper --
>> more flavor, less heat.
>>
>> I also added some Rosemary. And I cut back on the fennel
>> seeds -- helps with the weird burps.
>>
>> -T
>>

> Oh ya, and I drizzled a little EVOO on it after
> I spread in out in the pan. Helps with the
> low fat nature of ground turkey.

Oh I know I keep carrying on about this.

I just discovered Trader Joe's has two kinds of ground
turkey. One from breast meat at $4.99/lb and one
from other parts at $2.99/lb. I had used the
expensive one without realizing it.

Since I find the expensive one unpalatability dry,
I have switch to the less expensive one. Will
try without drizzling EVOO over it.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
: >
: > Oh ya, and I drizzled a little EVOO on it after
: > I spread in out in the pan. Helps with the
: > low fat nature of ground turkey.

: Oh I know I keep carrying on about this.

: I just discovered Trader Joe's has two kinds of ground
: turkey. One from breast meat at $4.99/lb and one
: from other parts at $2.99/lb. I had used the
: expensive one without realizing it.

: Since I find the expensive one unpalatability dry,
: I have switch to the less expensive one. Will
: try without drizzling EVOO over it.

: -T
The dark meat turkey should ot be anywhere near as dry as the white meat was. I use the
darkmeat groundfor meatloaves, etc adn it works well with good seasoning.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/19/2013 06:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : >
> : > Oh ya, and I drizzled a little EVOO on it after
> : > I spread in out in the pan. Helps with the
> : > low fat nature of ground turkey.
>
> : Oh I know I keep carrying on about this.
>
> : I just discovered Trader Joe's has two kinds of ground
> : turkey. One from breast meat at $4.99/lb and one
> : from other parts at $2.99/lb. I had used the
> : expensive one without realizing it.
>
> : Since I find the expensive one unpalatability dry,
> : I have switch to the less expensive one. Will
> : try without drizzling EVOO over it.
>
> : -T
> The dark meat turkey should ot be anywhere near as dry as the white meat was. I use the
> darkmeat groundfor meatloaves, etc adn it works well with good seasoning.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

The white meat makes me gag. I might as well eat straight butter!
Oh speaking of white meat, Pascha (Orthodox Easter) is around the
corner (May 5th) and I cook turkey breast cutlets for it. So
I will post under a new thread.

Thank you for all the help and tips. You guys are a blessing!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/17/2013 05:54 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> I use a simple device called a knife with which I quarter and core the apples.
> This can easily be a team effort.I cook the sauce with the skin on (better color)
> and then either remove the skins to a old fashioned foley food mill and put them
> through it or you can , to save picking out the skins, just put all the sauce
> through the food mill, but I like the rougher textured applesauce. You can, if you
> wish peel and core the apple when raw and make it without the skins saving burning
> your fingertips when picking them out of he hot sauce. tis ob is definitely a team
> effort!
>
> Just a little wter in the bottom of the pot to get everything started then cook on
> lowo to medium flame covred, stiring occasionally until everything is soft and
> applesaucy. Add leomon juice at the beginning and some cinnamon. When done, taste
> and add more cinnamon if desired.
>
> Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Have you tried "Ceylon" or "True" cinnamon. It has a sweeter,
less bitter taste. And, for those of us (T2's) that use "a lot"
of cinnamon, it has far less of the ingredient that hurts your
liver (regular cinnamon only causes harm in very, very large doses).

Ceylon is my favorite cinnamon.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd > wrote:
[...]

I use various cinnamons and like them all. I have never herd this liver
business and assume that in the amount I use for flavorng there woudl be
no issue. Some oeple use large amounts of cinamon to keep their bgs down
but the results have been variable. Some us tumeric for the same purpose,
but I don't know much aboaut how well that works either. I use them for
flavoring , not medicine.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/24/2013 06:08 AM, W. Baker wrote:
> I have never herd this liver
> business and assume that in the amount I use for flavorng there woudl be
> no issue. Some oeple use large amounts of cinamon to keep their bgs down
> but the results have been variable

Hi Wendy,

"Cassia" is regular cinnamon in the reference below. You
really, really have to use a lot of it to be a problem.
The Cinnulin extract that is popular for BG is cassia,
but it is water extracted, which leaves the bad stuff behind.

-T

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinnamon

Due to the presence of a moderately toxic component
called coumarin, European health agencies have recently
warned against consuming large amounts of cassia.[26]
This is contained in much lower dosages in Cinnamomum
burmannii due to its low essential oil content.[citation
needed] Coumarin is known to cause liver and kidney damage
in high concentrations. Measurements of coumarin in
ceylon cinnamon are much lower than those in cassia.[27][28]

26) Harris, Emily. German Christmas Cookies Pose Health Danger.
National Public Radio. Retrieved 2007-05-01

27) High daily intakes of cinnamon: Health risk cannot be ruled
out. BfR Health Assessment No. 044/2006, 18 August 2006

28) "Espoo daycare centre bans cinnamon as "moderately toxic
to liver"". Retrieved 2010-09-05.