Old 15-04-2013, 05:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sausage spices?

On 04/08/2013 05:20 PM, Todd wrote:
ground turkey, salt, fennel
seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder

Update:

I had to cut back on the black pepper to about a
teaspoon.

I substituted Ancho pepper for Cayenne pepper --
more flavor, less heat.

I also added some Rosemary. And I cut back on the fennel
seeds -- helps with the weird burps.

-T

Old 16-04-2013, 03:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/15/2013 01:22 PM, bigwheel wrote:
Todd;1825410 Wrote:
On 03/30/2013 12:41 PM, bigwheel wrote:-
Todd;1824913 Wrote:-
Hi All,

If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
what spices would I use?

This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
('Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
(http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...atties-100408))

and this one

'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
('Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
(http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...bedRecipe_209))

It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.

And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.

Many thanks,
-T-

Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
and babies.-

Lol!

I have always thought sausages with sweeteners were weird: apple,
maple, raspberry, etc.. Nice once, but never a second time.

Oh, changing the subject a little, I picked up some of that
Bragg apple cider vinegar (with the mother!). What a great
tip. It is the only vinegar I use anymore. And, you were right
about it working on indigestion -- who would have thought!
Thank you!

-T

Well glad you like it. I just drink it out of the bottle sometimes..lol.
One thing I noticed..its a bit stout for making chow chow and other
pickled type stuff. I cut it half and half with either regular old apple
cider vinegar or even white vinegar for chores like that. Seems to give
a better finished product and do not come out as cloudy.

What is "Chow Chow"?

Old 16-04-2013, 02:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

bigwheel wrote:

: 'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
: ;1825409']"bigwheel" wrote in
: message
: ...-
:
: Todd;1824913 Wrote:-
: Hi All,
:
: If I wanted to turn ground turkey into Turkey Sausage,
: what spices would I use?
:
: This recipe look easy. Any better ones?
: 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
: ('Turkey Breakfast Sausage Patties Recipe - Food.com - 100408'
: (
http://www.food.com/recipe/turkey-br...atties-100408))
:
: and this one
:
: 'Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
: ('Turkey Breakfast Sausage'
: (http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...bedRecipe_209))
:
: It uses apple sauce. Hmmmm.
:
: And, of course, drop the coriander due to allergies.
:
: Many thanks,
: -T-
:
: Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
: and babies.-
:
: That's not true!

: You sure? I dont never even see the stuff cept in the horspital or the
: nursing homes. I know babies like it. Right? Tree Top is the best. I can
: smell Motts and start heaving.

In my family everyone lokes applesauce. I make it using various apples, adding
only a little fresh lemon juice and plenty of cinnamon to make a very tasty dessert
with no added sugar. I like to make it in the Fall when there are a great
assortment of various apples unavailable the rest of the year adn in our area,
which can be found at very good priced paraticularly in quantity.

Wendy

: --
: bigwheel
Old 16-04-2013, 11:53 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/16/2013 06:27 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: Recipe one looks good to me. Nobody eats applesauce but old sick folks
: and babies.-
:
: That's not true!

: You sure? I dont never even see the stuff cept in the horspital or the
: nursing homes. I know babies like it. Right? Tree Top is the best. I can
: smell Motts and start heaving.

In my family everyone lokes applesauce. I make it using various apples, adding
only a little fresh lemon juice and plenty of cinnamon to make a very tasty dessert
with no added sugar. I like to make it in the Fall when there are a great
assortment of various apples unavailable the rest of the year adn in our area,
which can be found at very good priced paraticularly in quantity.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

He is teasing. And pretty funny at that. (Baby food
is kind of gross.)

Make sure the diabetic neuropathy does cause
your funny bone to fall off. Life is too miserable
without a funny bone.

And, me? I never have to explain my jokes. Never!
Never I tell you! Not once that I can ever think of!
(Okay, all the time. You get use to it.)

-T

unsweetened applesauce: 28 carbs per cups
http://www.nutrientfacts.com/FoodPag...Applesauce.htm

I can have about 1/4 cup. (15 carbs max per meal; 60 per day.)

A friend has an apple tree. She give us golf ball sized
apples (she has huge ones too). They are so good. Hard
to hold on to though. I wind up eating a lot of seeds.
Old 16-04-2013, 11:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/14/2013 09:47 PM, Todd wrote:
On 04/08/2013 05:20 PM, Todd wrote:
ground turkey, salt, fennel
seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder

Update:

I had to cut back on the black pepper to about a
teaspoon.

I substituted Ancho pepper for Cayenne pepper --
more flavor, less heat.

I also added some Rosemary. And I cut back on the fennel
seeds -- helps with the weird burps.

-T

Oh ya, and I drizzled a little EVOO on it after
I spread in out in the pan. Helps with the
low fat nature of ground turkey.

Old 17-04-2013, 03:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/16/2013 06:27 AM, W. Baker wrote:
In my family everyone lokes applesauce. I make it using various apples, adding
only a little fresh lemon juice and plenty of cinnamon to make a very tasty dessert
with no added sugar.

Hi Wendy,

Is the lemon juice to keep the apple sauce from turning
brown, to add a flavor component, or both? Inquiring
minds must know!

-T
Old 17-04-2013, 06:18 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

(http://www.theyummylife.com/turkey_b...edRecipe_209)))

[...]

Dang..glad somebody axed about that..lol. Its a Southern and Texas type
spicy sweet relish. Normally served with pinto beans..fried
tates..cornbread and other red neck soul food. Base usually composed of
either cabbage and or green tomaters. I do cabbage since it easier to
find. This is my favorite recipe with a few tweaks like adding some
japalino peppers and cayenne to give it some pizzaz. My friends Mama
wins the chow chow contest at the State Fair nearly each year. I am
still trying to pry that recipe outta his tight coola. In the meantime
try this. Sub out some food grade glycerine for the sugar since dont you
have some food issues with sugar? Glycerine do not effect that.

'Southern Sweet Chow-Chow Relish - The Mountain Laurel'
(http://tinyurl.com/cxhv2b6)

Hi Bigwheel,

Do you can yours?

I would probably use Stevia as a sweeter. Ya, I know
it tastes like gasoline, but I am use to it.

This is possible over my head. I burn butter and eggplant.
Very interesting though. Someday I will get good enough.
Never quit. Thank you!

Just out of curiosity, if your front porch were to collapse,
how many dogs would die?

-T

Old 17-04-2013, 06:25 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

[...]

For, not in, Piccalilli sauce would be a good accompaniment for sausage,
or paté.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 17-04-2013, 06:40 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/16/2013 10:25 PM, Billy wrote:
Piccalilli sauce

Made me look it up. What was the connection to apples?
Old 17-04-2013, 01:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

bigwheel wrote:

: W. Baker;1828724 Wrote:
: bigwheel wrote:
:
: : 'Julie Bove[_2_ Wrote:
: : ;1825409']"bigwheel"
wrote in
: : message
: : ...-
: :
: : Todd;1824913 Wrote:-
: : Hi All,
: :
[...]
: : --
: : bigwheel

: Wow..thanks for the inspiration on that. I have two apple trees in the
: back yard. Mostly I make wine and a few cobblers. I will put applesauce
: on the to do list. I did not know folks really liked to eat it. How much
: do it cost for the apple smusher gizmo? Or can you just beat it with a
: board? That is how I do for wine. Let me know.

: --
: bigwheel

I use a simple device called a knife with which I quarter and core the apples.
This can easily be a team effort.I cook the sauce with the skin on (better color)
and then either remove the skins to a old fashioned foley food mill and put them
through it or you can , to save picking out the skins, just put all the sauce
through the food mill, but I like the rougher textured applesauce. You can, if you
wish peel and core the apple when raw and make it without the skins saving burning
your fingertips when picking them out of he hot sauce. tis ob is definitely a team
effort!

Just a little wter in the bottom of the pot to get everything started then cook on
lowo to medium flame covred, stiring occasionally until everything is soft and
applesaucy. Add leomon juice at the beginning and some cinnamon. When done, taste
and add more cinnamon if desired.

Wendy

Old 17-04-2013, 01:56 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 04/16/2013 06:27 AM, W. Baker wrote:
: In my family everyone lokes applesauce. I make it using various apples, adding
: only a little fresh lemon juice and plenty of cinnamon to make a very tasty dessert
: with no added sugar.

: Hi Wendy,

: Is the lemon juice to keep the apple sauce from turning
: brown, to add a flavor component, or both? Inquiring
: minds must know!

: -T

for flavor. the applesauce, particularly with te cinnamon is basically, brown.

Wendy
Old 18-04-2013, 06:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

On 04/16/2013 10:25 PM, Billy wrote:
Piccalilli sauce

Made me look it up. What was the connection to apples?

Apples? Look at the subject thread.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
http://www.rachelcorrie.org/

Welcome to the New America.

Old 20-04-2013, 12:57 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/16/2013 03:54 PM, Todd wrote:
On 04/14/2013 09:47 PM, Todd wrote:
On 04/08/2013 05:20 PM, Todd wrote:
ground turkey, salt, fennel
seed, thyme, black pepper, cayenne powder, garlic powder

Update:

I had to cut back on the black pepper to about a
teaspoon.

I substituted Ancho pepper for Cayenne pepper --
more flavor, less heat.

I also added some Rosemary. And I cut back on the fennel
seeds -- helps with the weird burps.

-T

Oh ya, and I drizzled a little EVOO on it after
I spread in out in the pan. Helps with the
low fat nature of ground turkey.

Oh I know I keep carrying on about this.

I just discovered Trader Joe's has two kinds of ground
turkey. One from breast meat at $4.99/lb and one
from other parts at $2.99/lb. I had used the
expensive one without realizing it.

Since I find the expensive one unpalatability dry,
I have switch to the less expensive one. Will
try without drizzling EVOO over it.

-T
Old 20-04-2013, 02:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
:
: Oh ya, and I drizzled a little EVOO on it after
: I spread in out in the pan. Helps with the
: low fat nature of ground turkey.

: Oh I know I keep carrying on about this.

: I just discovered Trader Joe's has two kinds of ground
: turkey. One from breast meat at $4.99/lb and one
: from other parts at $2.99/lb. I had used the
: expensive one without realizing it.

: Since I find the expensive one unpalatability dry,
: I have switch to the less expensive one. Will
: try without drizzling EVOO over it.

: -T
The dark meat turkey should ot be anywhere near as dry as the white meat was. I use the
darkmeat groundfor meatloaves, etc adn it works well with good seasoning.

Wendy
Old 20-04-2013, 03:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 04/19/2013 06:14 PM, W. Baker wrote:
Todd wrote:
:
: Oh ya, and I drizzled a little EVOO on it after
: I spread in out in the pan. Helps with the
: low fat nature of ground turkey.

: Oh I know I keep carrying on about this.

: I just discovered Trader Joe's has two kinds of ground
: turkey. One from breast meat at $4.99/lb and one
: from other parts at $2.99/lb. I had used the
: expensive one without realizing it.

: Since I find the expensive one unpalatability dry,
: I have switch to the less expensive one. Will
: try without drizzling EVOO over it.

: -T
The dark meat turkey should ot be anywhere near as dry as the white meat was. I use the
darkmeat groundfor meatloaves, etc adn it works well with good seasoning.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

The white meat makes me gag. I might as well eat straight butter!
Oh speaking of white meat, Pascha (Orthodox Easter) is around the
corner (May 5th) and I cook turkey breast cutlets for it. So
I will post under a new thread.

Thank you for all the help and tips. You guys are a blessing!

-T