Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Oh No! Cilantro!

Hi All,

Okay, it rhymes. :-)

I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.

Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
(anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.

What would you substitute? Parsley?

Many thanks,
-T

Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
always hated it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

"Todd" wrote in message ...

Hi All,

Okay, it rhymes. :-)

I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.

Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
(anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.

What would you substitute? Parsley?

Many thanks,
-T

Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
always hated it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
of me), what would you substitute?

Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Okay, it rhymes. :-)
>
> I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.
>
> Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
> (anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
> And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.
>
> What would you substitute? Parsley?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T
>
> Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
> that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
> cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
> always hated it.

Yes, parsley. This is a great herb that has been trivialized
by over-use. It is a lovely flavor, very akin to cilantro and
works beautifully in salsas and in Asian cooking. Try it,
start with the equivalent quantity of the cilantro, go from
there.
Cilantro no, no
Parsley, really.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:27:51 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
>> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
>> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
>> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
>> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
>> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

>And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
>and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
>of me), what would you substitute?
>
>Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
>leaves, and Cumin the seeds.
>
>-T

Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) and cumin (Cuminum cyminum) are two
different herbs.

Ross.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

<Ross@home> wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:27:51 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
>>On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
>>> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
>>> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
>>> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
>>> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
>>> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

>>And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
>>and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
>>of me), what would you substitute?
>>
>>Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
>>leaves, and Cumin the seeds.
>>
>>-T

> Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) and cumin (Cuminum cyminum) are two
> different herbs.
>
> Ross.

Agree they are different. Cilantro is the plant, meaning the leaves or
the roots (common in Asian cooking); coriander refers to the seeds.
But...I have seen different customs and usages. Never cumin, though.

pavane

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 08:24 PM, Ross@home wrote:
> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:27:51 -0700, Todd > wrote:
>
>> On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
>>> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
>>> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
>>> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
>>> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
>>> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

>> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
>> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
>> of me), what would you substitute?
>>
>> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
>> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.
>>
>> -T

> Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) and cumin (Cuminum cyminum) are two
> different herbs.
>
> Ross.

Hi Ross,

You are correct. She is allergic to both. Cumin is not
nearly as scary as Coriander/Cilantro.

What would you subsitute?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 08:24 PM, pavane wrote:

> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Okay, it rhymes. :-)
>>
>> I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.
>>
>> Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
>> (anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
>> And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.
>>
>> What would you substitute? Parsley?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>
>> Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
>> that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
>> cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
>> always hated it.

> Yes, parsley. This is a great herb that has been trivialized
> by over-use. It is a lovely flavor, very akin to cilantro and
> works beautifully in salsas and in Asian cooking. Try it,
> start with the equivalent quantity of the cilantro, go from
> there.
> Cilantro no, no
> Parsley, really.
>
> pavane

Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you
> like
> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
of me), what would you substitute?

Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
recipe.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 08:35 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 03/22/2013 08:24 PM, Ross@home wrote:

>>> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
>>> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
>>> of me), what would you substitute?
>>>
>>> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
>>> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.
>>>
>>> -T

>> Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) and cumin (Cuminum cyminum) are two
>> different herbs.
>>
>> Ross.
>>

> Hi Ross,
>
> You are correct. She is allergic to both. Cumin is not
> nearly as scary as Coriander/Cilantro.
>
> What would you subsitute?
>
> -T

Figured out where I went wrong. The reference said:

The coriander comes from the leaf of the cilantro
while the cumin comes from a seed

I read "from 'the' seed" instead of "a seed". Oooops.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 08:37 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
>> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
>> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
>> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
>> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
>> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
> of me), what would you substitute?
>
> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

> I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
> recipe.

Hi Oz,

Diced tomatoes, dices onions, line juice, salt pepper, dash of Chipotle
sauce? What do you think?

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 08:24 PM, pavane wrote:
> Yes, parsley. This is a great herb that has been trivialized
> by over-use. It is a lovely flavor,

Hi Pavane,

I catch my wife eating parsley straight at times.

Back when I could eat bread, I use to love to fry
bread in butter, EVOO, garlic powder, and parsley.

The fresh stuff sure tastes better than the dried
stuff. 99 cents for a bunch of fresh organic here.
So far, my bunch has lasted two weeks in the refrig.

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 03/22/2013 08:37 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little.
>> In
>> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
>> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
>> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you
>> like
>> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
>> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
> of me), what would you substitute?
>
> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

> I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
> recipe.

Hi Oz,

Diced tomatoes, dices onions, line juice, salt pepper, dash of Chipotle
sauce? What do you think?

------------------------------------

Could work, experiment a little. If you use parsley, I think I would go
for the continental, flat-leaf variety.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 09:03 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 03/22/2013 08:37 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
>>> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
>>> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
>>> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
>>> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
>>> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

>> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
>> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
>> of me), what would you substitute?
>>
>> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
>> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

>> I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
>> recipe.

> Hi Oz,
>
> Diced tomatoes, dices onions, line juice, salt pepper, dash of Chipotle
> sauce? What do you think?
>
> ------------------------------------
>
> Could work, experiment a little. If you use parsley, I think I would go
> for the continental, flat-leaf variety.

Thank you!
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> Okay, it rhymes. :-)
>
> I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.
>
> Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
> (anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
> And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.
>
> What would you substitute? Parsley?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T
>
> Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
> that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
> cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
> always hated it.

I love cilantro but I do know a woman with a life threatening allergy to it.
And she's Latino!

Salsa just means "sauce". And there are many different kinds. They don't
all contain cilantro or even tomatoes! I don't know what kind of salsa you
are looking for. But here is one from Alton Brown:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/a...ipe/index.html

Says "
a.. Fresh scallions, cilantro or parsley, to taste."

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
>> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
>> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
>> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
>> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
>> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
> of me), what would you substitute?
>
> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.
>
> -T

Where is over here? Anywhere I have lived the leaves are called cilantro.
Coriander is made from the seeds. Cumin is an entirely different plant.
From the Apiaceae family. Cilantro and coriander are from the same family
but a different plant. Then there is culantro. Also related.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
>> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
>> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
>> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
>> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
>> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
> of me), what would you substitute?
>
> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

> I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
> recipe.

Me too.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 03/22/2013 08:37 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
>>> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
>>> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
>>> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
>>> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
>>> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

>> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
>> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
>> of me), what would you substitute?
>>
>> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
>> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

>> I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
>> recipe.

> Hi Oz,
>
> Diced tomatoes, dices onions, line juice, salt pepper, dash of Chipotle
> sauce? What do you think?

Wouldn't Chipotle sauce be salsa?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 20:35:47 -0700, Todd > wrote:

>On 03/22/2013 08:24 PM, Ross@home wrote:

>>> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
>>> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
>>> of me), what would you substitute?
>>>
>>> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
>>> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.
>>>
>>> -T

>> Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) and cumin (Cuminum cyminum) are two
>> different herbs.
>>
>> Ross.
>>

>Hi Ross,
>
> You are correct. She is allergic to both. Cumin is not
>nearly as scary as Coriander/Cilantro.
>
> What would you subsitute?
>
>-T

In your case I'd simply leave it out, not worth taking a chance.
Carrots, celery, fennel, parsley, parsnips, anise, cumin, coriander,
and dill are all related plants but only the leaves of the coriander
affect me negatively taste-wise. I use both cumin and coriander in
many dishes but, I think cilantro has a metallic soapy taste and avoid
it when possible.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/22/2013 9:03 PM, Todd wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Okay, it rhymes. :-)
>
> I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.
>
> Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
> (anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
> And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.
>
> What would you substitute? Parsley?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T
>
> Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
> that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
> cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
> always hated it.

Parsley would work but a little bit of snipped fresh oregano would give
the salsa more flavor. Cilantro is rather stronger than parsley so you'd
need to substitute an her with a stronger flavor than parsley.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/22/2013 10:39 PM, Todd wrote:
> On 03/22/2013 08:37 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>>
>> On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>> I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
>>> salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
>>> onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
>>> flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
>>> spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
>>> pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

>> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
>> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
>> of me), what would you substitute?
>>
>> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
>> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

>> I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
>> recipe.

> Hi Oz,
>
> Diced tomatoes, dices onions, line juice, salt pepper, dash of Chipotle
> sauce? What do you think?
>
> -T

skip the hot sauce and dice in a fresh jalapeno or two to taste.
Tomato, onion, lime juice, salt jalapeno and (the dreaded) cilantro are
the classic ingredients of pico do gallo which most Americans call
"salsa" In reality, "salsa" is just a Spanish word for "sauce"

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Spelling doesn't count. Cooking does.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Okay, it rhymes. :-)
>
> I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.
>
> Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
> (anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
> And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.
>
> What would you substitute? Parsley?
>
> Many thanks,
> -T
>
> Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
> that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
> cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
> always hated it.

Pico de Gallo is fine without the cilantro. If you miss it, just add
more jalapenos.

4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped (or more to taste!) - Optional
2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
salt

Directions:

1
Combine all ingredients; cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
2
This tastes best the same day that it's made, but is okay the next
day.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Ross@home
wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 20:35:47 -0700, Todd > wrote:

> >> Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) and cumin (Cuminum cyminum) are two
> >> different herbs.
> >>
> >> Ross.
> >>

> >Hi Ross,
> >
> > You are correct. She is allergic to both. Cumin is not
> >nearly as scary as Coriander/Cilantro.
> >
> > What would you subsitute?
> >
> >-T

> In your case I'd simply leave it out, not worth taking a chance.
> Carrots, celery, fennel, parsley, parsnips, anise, cumin, coriander,
> and dill are all related plants but only the leaves of the coriander
> affect me negatively taste-wise. I use both cumin and coriander in
> many dishes but, I think cilantro has a metallic soapy taste and avoid
> it when possible.
>
> Ross.
> Southern Ontario, Canada

That was my first reaction to cilantro, now I can't get enough of it.
When cilantro is in bloom, a cilantro pesto is as good as a basil pesto.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>
or
E Pluribus Unum
Next time vote Green Party

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/23/2013 06:53 AM, Ross@home wrote:
> I think cilantro has a metallic soapy taste and avoid
> it when possible.

Tastes like paint fumes to me. And since it starts out with
an aftertaste, I only need to eat one piece and it repeats
on me the rest of the day.
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/23/2013 08:10 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 3/22/2013 10:39 PM, Todd wrote:
>> On 03/22/2013 08:37 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

>>> And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
>>> and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
>>> of me), what would you substitute?
>>>
>>> Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
>>> leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

>>> I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
>>> recipe.

>> Hi Oz,
>>
>> Diced tomatoes, dices onions, line juice, salt pepper, dash of Chipotle
>> sauce? What do you think?
>>
>> -T

> skip the hot sauce and dice in a fresh jalapeno or two to taste. Tomato,
> onion, lime juice, salt jalapeno and (the dreaded) cilantro are the
> classic ingredients of pico do gallo which most Americans call "salsa"
> In reality, "salsa" is just a Spanish word for "sauce"

To me "salsa" is the chunky stuff. The jalapeños sounds really good.
I went for the Chipotle (smoked red jalapeño) hot sauce as I can control
the level much better (the love of my life is very, very sensitive
to hot spices) and I have no access to organic jalapeno at the moment.

Thank you for the original pico do gallo tip!

-T

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/23/2013 08:07 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
> On 3/22/2013 9:03 PM, Todd wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Okay, it rhymes. :-)
>>
>> I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.
>>
>> Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
>> (anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
>> And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.
>>
>> What would you substitute? Parsley?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>
>> Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
>> that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
>> cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
>> always hated it.
>>

> Parsley would work but a little bit of snipped fresh oregano would give
> the salsa more flavor. Cilantro is rather stronger than parsley so you'd
> need to substitute an her with a stronger flavor than parsley.

Hi Janet,

That is an idea. Thank you!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/23/2013 03:33 PM, Billy wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Okay, it rhymes. :-)
>>
>> I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.
>>
>> Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
>> (anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
>> And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.
>>
>> What would you substitute? Parsley?
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>
>> Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
>> that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
>> cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
>> always hated it.

> Pico de Gallo is fine without the cilantro. If you miss it, just add
> more jalapenos.
>

> 4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
> 1 small white onion, finely chopped
> 1/2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped (or more to taste!) - Optional
> 2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
> 1 tablespoon lime juice
> salt
>
> Directions:
>
> 1
> Combine all ingredients; cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
> 2
> This tastes best the same day that it's made, but is okay the next
> day.

Thank you!

Cilantro tastes like paint fumes and repeats on me for hours, so
I will not miss it. Also, it could quite possible kill my wife.

-T