Old 23-03-2013, 05:59 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Oh No! Cilantro!

"Todd" wrote in message
On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
of me), what would you substitute?

Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

-T

Where is over here? Anywhere I have lived the leaves are called cilantro.
Coriander is made from the seeds. Cumin is an entirely different plant.
From the Apiaceae family. Cilantro and coriander are from the same family
but a different plant. Then there is culantro. Also related.

Old 23-03-2013, 06:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
of me), what would you substitute?

Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
recipe.

Me too.

Old 23-03-2013, 06:01 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 03/22/2013 08:37 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
of me), what would you substitute?

Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

I don't think it needs a substitution personally, just drop it from a
recipe.

Hi Oz,

Diced tomatoes, dices onions, line juice, salt pepper, dash of Chipotle
sauce? What do you think?

Wouldn't Chipotle sauce be salsa?

Old 23-03-2013, 01:53 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 20:35:47 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 03/22/2013 08:24 PM, [email protected] wrote:
On Fri, 22 Mar 2013 19:27:51 -0700, Todd wrote:

On 03/22/2013 07:20 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
I like a bit of cilantro (called coriander here) but just a little. In
salsa though I really just do something basic, the chopped tomato,
onion, salt/pepper and a bit of lime juice (sometimes a few chilli
flakes or a bit of cut up pickled jalapeno - depends on whether you like
spicy, hot or not. I do like it with some canned (in juice) crushed
pineapple and a tad of cilantro.

And when your wife tastes one tiny leaf of it and turn to you
and says "I think you better call 911" (scared the poop out
of me), what would you substitute?

Over here we call Cilantro the whole plant, Corrander the
leaves, and Cumin the seeds.

-T

Coriander (Coriandrum sativum) and cumin (Cuminum cyminum) are two
different herbs.

Ross.

Hi Ross,

You are correct. She is allergic to both. Cumin is not
nearly as scary as Coriander/Cilantro.

What would you subsitute?

-T

In your case I'd simply leave it out, not worth taking a chance.
Carrots, celery, fennel, parsley, parsnips, anise, cumin, coriander,
and dill are all related plants but only the leaves of the coriander
affect me negatively taste-wise. I use both cumin and coriander in
many dishes but, I think cilantro has a metallic soapy taste and avoid
it when possible.

Ross.
Southern Ontario, Canada
Old 23-03-2013, 03:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 3/22/2013 9:03 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Okay, it rhymes. :-)

I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.

Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
(anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.

What would you substitute? Parsley?

Many thanks,
-T

Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
always hated it.

Parsley would work but a little bit of snipped fresh oregano would give
the salsa more flavor. Cilantro is rather stronger than parsley so you'd
need to substitute an her with a stronger flavor than parsley.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas

Old 23-03-2013, 03:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

[...]

skip the hot sauce and dice in a fresh jalapeno or two to taste.
Tomato, onion, lime juice, salt jalapeno and (the dreaded) cilantro are
the classic ingredients of pico do gallo which most Americans call
"salsa" In reality, "salsa" is just a Spanish word for "sauce"

Old 23-03-2013, 10:33 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , Todd
wrote:

Hi All,

Okay, it rhymes. :-)

I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.

Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
(anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.

What would you substitute? Parsley?

Many thanks,
-T

Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
always hated it.

Pico de Gallo is fine without the cilantro. If you miss it, just add
more jalapenos.

4 ripe plum tomatoes, seeded and finely chopped
1 small white onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup cilantro leaf, chopped (or more to taste!) - Optional
2 -3 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon lime juice
salt

Directions:

1
Combine all ingredients; cover and refrigerate for at least an hour.
2
This tastes best the same day that it's made, but is okay the next
day.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 24-03-2013, 08:34 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article , [email protected]
wrote:

[...]

That was my first reaction to cilantro, now I can't get enough of it.
When cilantro is in bloom, a cilantro pesto is as good as a basil pesto.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 25-03-2013, 05:57 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/23/2013 06:53 AM, [email protected] wrote:
I think cilantro has a metallic soapy taste and avoid
it when possible.

Tastes like paint fumes to me. And since it starts out with
an aftertaste, I only need to eat one piece and it repeats
on me the rest of the day.
Old 25-03-2013, 06:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

[...]

To me "salsa" is the chunky stuff. The jalapeños sounds really good.
I went for the Chipotle (smoked red jalapeño) hot sauce as I can control
the level much better (the love of my life is very, very sensitive
to hot spices) and I have no access to organic jalapeno at the moment.

Thank you for the original pico do gallo tip!

-T

Old 26-03-2013, 09:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/23/2013 08:07 AM, Janet Wilder wrote:
On 3/22/2013 9:03 PM, Todd wrote:
Hi All,

Okay, it rhymes. :-)

I have been trying to come up with a hand made salsa.

Problem: my wife is *frighteningly* allergic to cilantro
(anything in the Coriander family, which includes cumin).
And all the salsa recipes I have seen use cilantro.

What would you substitute? Parsley?

Many thanks,
-T

Okay. In the interest of full disclosure, I hate anything
that hurts anyone I love. But, I have always thought
cilantro started out with a nasty aftertaste and I have
always hated it.

Parsley would work but a little bit of snipped fresh oregano would give
the salsa more flavor. Cilantro is rather stronger than parsley so you'd
need to substitute an her with a stronger flavor than parsley.

Hi Janet,

That is an idea. Thank you!

-T
Old 26-03-2013, 09:48 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/23/2013 03:33 PM, Billy wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

[...]

Thank you!

Cilantro tastes like paint fumes and repeats on me for hours, so
I will not miss it. Also, it could quite possible kill my wife.

-T