Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Vegan Fudge

I started with Christina Pirello's recipe and have tweaked it several times.
I think I have made my best batch yet!

Her original recipe called for:

1 cup natural, creamy peanut butter
1/3 cup brown rice syrup
1/4 cup cocoa powder
2 T. vegan "butter"
Pinch salt
Scant pinch black pepper
Scant pinch chili powder
Scant pinch cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon good vanilla
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

She uses a food processor. She processes all but the walnuts and she says
to use cold "butter". Then work the walnuts in with your hands. Then press
out onto plastic wrap so that it is 1" thick. Chill 3 hours and cut into
squares.

The first time I made this, I used sunseed butter which I really don't like.
But Angela can't have peanut butter. But I also put in the walnuts which
she does not like. I wanted to make it as close as possible to the original
recipe though and feared that it might not hold up without the walnuts. I
need not have worried.

I then made two more batches. One for Angela with the sunseed butter and no
walnuts and one for me with peanut butter. I added extra walnuts to mine.
But I forgot the "butter". End result was fine but mine seemed a tad sweet
even though I added less brown rice syrup.

So tonight I made another batch. Added a little more cocoa, much less brown
rice syrup and a lot more walnuts. Really so many walnuts that there is
just a wee bit of fudge holding it all together. But... I loves me some
walnuts!

I'm sure that you could vary the nuts in this and the type of nut/seed
butter that you use. Not so sure that it would work so well without the
cocoa because I think it sort of thickens the mixture. Might be able to sub
in a sugar substitute for the brown rice syrup. I did notice that Angela's
batch with the sunseed butter set up a lot more firm than my peanut butter
batch. And Christina also said it is not necessary to closely measure these
ingredients, but to make sure not to use too much pepper, cinnamon or chili
powder. They are there to add a bit of punch but you're not supposed to
notice them as outright flavors.

I think next time I will try this using coconut oil. I have used that for a
cooked fudge and I liked the taste of that. I used Nucoa in these batches.
At any rate, this stuff doesn't seem to have enough carbs in it to spike me.
I can grab a quick bite of it on my way out the door and it is adding
protein to my diet. Oh and... So far the cocoa has not set off my GERD
except for when I made the mistake of eating a piece right before bed.

And if anyone takes offense to this not being a real fudge... True the
texture is not quite that of a cooked fudge but that is what she called it
so I am going with that. It is very good.