Old 23-03-2013, 01:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What do you non-insulin T2's eat for breakfast?

On 03/21/2013 12:25 PM, Billy wrote:
In article , Todd
wrote:

On 03/18/2013 06:18 PM, W. Baker wrote:
. wrote:
: Julie wrote:

Something went wrong here with my post and all my material seems to not
have come throughat all. It was a rather complicated series of

comments ,
mostly to Julie about , not cites, but where I learned much of hte
material about homnivores, Mad COw disease and feeding animals downed
animals, etc from reading Newspapers and listening to news on teh

TV and
Radio(Mostly NPR) as well as material I remember learning some 60 years
ago in HS biology. I also learned about the harm that corn, actually a
perfectly good food for non-diabetics if eaten within reason, is a
terrible food that cannot be digested by cows. It tears up their guts.
this information I read , in both Omnivore's dilemma by Polard and

Michael
S---? book on the cattle industry, but i forget the name(senior

moment-it
will come to me in the middle of the night, causing me to lose sleep:-)

You may be thinking Michael Pollan in both instances.
http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/31/ma...?pagewanted=al
l&src=pm

I interleafed it, but none of it seems to have gotten through. No idea
why.

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

Rats. I adore your writing.

The mad cow thing is disgusting. What made them think they
could turn herbivores into cannibals?

They did. Slaughter house scraps, and meat unsuitable for human
consumption are added as a protein source to chicken feed. Some falls
onto the straw litter in the chickens coups, and the litter is is then
feed to the cows to complete the cycle. Grazing cows are also know to
eat small birds. Odd behavior for an herbivore, don't you think?
http://www.slate.com/articles/health...012/11/deer_ea
t_meat_herbivores_and_carnivores_are_not_so_clearl y_divided.html
http://scienceblogs.com/tetrapodzool...ry-in-cows-and
-deer/

Bad enough they
stand in their own scat (poop) in feed lots. Herbivore's
are conveyor belts: they walk and the grass (cellulose)
goes in one end and the scat goes out the other. They
never stand in their own scat. (Then birds eat the bugs
and then it decomposes into the soil and the grass
grows back. Full circle.)

"Grass," so understood, is the foundation of the intricate food chain
Joel Salatin has assembled at Polyface, where a half dozen different
animal species are raised together in an intensive rotational dance on
the theme of symbiosis. Salatin is the choreographer and the grasses are
his verdurous stage; the dance has made Polyface one of the most
productive and influential alternative farms in America.

³The Omnivore's Dilemma: A Natural History of Four Meals²
by Michael Pollan
http://www.amazon.com/Omnivores-Dile...als/dp/0143038
583/ref=pd_bbs_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1206815576&sr=1-1

(Available at a library near you)

About three years ago, before I knew about T2, I grew some
hybridized (for sugar content) corn. The crop bombed, but
I did get about one meal out of it. It was very tasty,
as is anything out of an organic garden. But, I do remember
it was so sweet it was like eating candy.

And soon, because of GMOs, and hybrid plants, Monsanto, and their ilk
will control the food we eat. Next time you grow a garden, use "open
pollinated" seeds, and at least give yourself a chance to resist.

http://www.fedcoseeds.com/seeds/articles/monsanto.htm

And here's how

Seed to Seed: Seed Saving and Growing Techniques for Vegetable
Gardeners,
by Suzanne Ashworth and Kent Whealy
http://www.amazon.com/Seed-Growing-T...rdeners/dp/188
2424581/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1238951517&sr=1-1

(Available at the same library near you)

Nice if they
hybridized it for protein and fat. Fat chance. Not as
addictive.

Oh, Cargill, or Archer Daniels Midland would find some way to screw it
up, all in the name of making a profit.

The more general term glucose syrup is often used synonymously with corn
syrup, since glucose syrup is in the United States most commonly made
from corn starch. Corn syrup is distinct from high-fructose corn syrup
(HFCS), which is created when corn syrup undergoes enzymatic processing,
producing a sweeter compound that contains higher levels of fructose.

Fructose (levulose) doesn't satiate as quickly as glucose (dextrose),
and you end up eating MORE.

Senior moments have an upside. Every morning you get to eat new
food, watch new movies, meet new people ...

-T

Great read. Thank you! I did not realize they had figured out
a way to turn chickens into cannibals too. YUK! And cows
will eat most of anything they can catch, especially the
occational grass hopper that has a case of the slows. They
are suppose to eat grass.

I am remembering a documentary on full circle farming I watched
on Roku/netflix, but I don't remember the name, so I can not
reference it. In the documentary one full circle farmer in
Oregon said he was getting $1100 per acre where his neighbors
were getting $400 per acre just running conventional cows.
If what the framer said was true, I can see a switch to full
circle just on economic grounds.

His cows seemed really happy too. He said what he was really
doing was growing grass. (Grass, Produce, Turkeys, Turkey eggs,
Chickens, Chicken Eggs, Lamb, more grass.)

And what does this have to do with Diabetic cooking? If it does
not taste good, you won't eat it. Produce and meat that tastes
good will keep you from being tempted to go back to those
"food like substances". Which is why I am forcing myself to
learn how to cook diabetic. If the food tastes good and I
look forward to it, why would I ever be tempted? (Okay,
there is the body parts falling off aspect, but...) And,
when you get the cooking part down, it is actually a bit fun.

-T

Old 23-03-2013, 01:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 03/21/2013 03:21 PM, Billy wrote:
: In article , Todd
: wrote:
:
: On 03/18/2013 06:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: Well, they eat road kill. So do apparently a lot of other people in this
: country. Mainly in the South I think.
:
:
: Road kill is just fine if you butcher it up right after
: you hit it.
:
: Now if you drag it off the road and let it putrefy for
: a few days, then it is bear, vulture, ant, maggot food.
:
: I would just leave flat skunks for the vultures. :-)
:
: Without putting to fine a point on it, you do realize, don't you, that
: your flogging a dead horse?
:

: Yes, I know. I will reform.
You do know that in my area of the Carskills there are often nasty acidnet
with cars and deer, particularly at night. If the driver is OK and
doesn't seem to know much about game, the State plice are always willing
to take the dead deer off their hands. it works out to be a very
expensive way to get a deer out of season, but those deer that are killed
by the car are generally eaten withe by the car owner or, if s//he is
squeemich, the police officer's family. Kind of large road kill that
usually doesn't go to waste.

Wendy
Old 23-03-2013, 01:23 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I just remembered something. I just saw a recipe for meat loaf
"cupcakes" that jogged my memory A late poster here, JC Hartmann,
used to make batches of meat loaf in muffin tins at night and heat up a
couple every morning for a quick business person's breakfast. Another
friend "Adam" cooks up hard boiled eggs by the dozen for quick and easy
breakfasts and snacks. When low carb meals and snacks are already
prepared it makes it easier to eat right in my opinion. At times when
there is nothing prepared in my fridge I have been known to take the
easy way out and make a peanut butter sandwich.... At good times I have
hard boiled eggs, muffin size frittatas, crudités, olives, meats etc. at
the ready in the fridge. Another poster, Alan S, often has his low carb
beef stew for breakfast. Yesterday at lunch, when my mouth was so sore
and that one sensitive tooth howled every time I accidentally chewed
with it, I opened a can of salmon, poured a bit of balsamic vinegar over
it on the plate and scarfed it down. Afternoon tea was some ice-cream
and tub of WW mango jelly with peaches Dinner was fried eggs and
mushrooms, unfortunately the mushies hurt the tooth too much to eat.

Old 23-03-2013, 01:31 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

: wrote:
:
[...]

Or its what the boys get to eat at the big house for dinner.

Sounds like a rational way of handling things.

I am not reforming.

-T
Old 23-03-2013, 01:36 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 06:23 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
[...]

Hi Oz,

Ouch! Get that tooth looked at.

Thank you for the tips! I make soft boiled eggs occasionally,
but can only eat a few and I am still hungry afterward.
Maybe I just don't know what to prepare them with?

That meat loaf thing sounds interesting. Any favorite
formulas/recipes?

-T

Old 23-03-2013, 01:52 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

[...]

______________

There was an infection under the tooth, had it x-rayed yesterday,
antibiotics have kicked in Add any low carb veggie to eggs to fill
it out. Maybe a bit of full fat cheese to much on as well. I don't have
a favourite meat loaf recipe as I toss in whatever I have at the time. I
do always mix in some "sausage mince" to use as a binder. Do remember
though that to make in a muffin tin you need fairly low fat ingredients
or you get a pool of fat around each muffin. Sausage mince is fatty.
From memory, JC used either Graham crackers or low carb bread as the
binder with some egg. So start with lean beef mince (what you call
hamburger?), some kind if binder like the bread or crackers, chopped
onion, herbs of your choice, one beaten egg, salt and pepper. I used a
bit of Worcestershire sauce sometimes and chopped tomatoes. I always
taste my raw mince mixtures before cooking to make sure they taste
right, especially with the salt.

As with most things, I sauté things like onion and garlic first for more
flavour. I would probably cook for about 20-25 mins at 350?F. We are
metric here, someone might suggest a different temp as I am guessing. I
haven't made these for a while but I do remember I loved them for lunch,
nuked, and with the salad veggies we have on hamburgers here (lettuce,
tomato, beetroot, lol) plus a dash of ketchup.

-T

Old 23-03-2013, 02:06 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 06:52 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
We are metric here,

Hi Oz,

Thank you! So meat loaf is like an omelet: it is
a vehicle to use up leftovers (within reason).

Metric? Where do you hail from?

-T
Old 23-03-2013, 02:16 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 03/22/2013 06:52 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
We are metric here,

Hi Oz,

Thank you! So meat loaf is like an omelet: it is
a vehicle to use up leftovers (within reason).

_____

I suppose you could say that, lol.

---------------------------

Metric? Where do you hail from?

--------------------------------

Brisbane, Australia.
Old 23-03-2013, 02:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/22/2013 07:16 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

Brisbane, Australia.

Beautiful place.
Old 23-03-2013, 05:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
[...]

"Todd" wrote in message ...

I make my meatloaf freeform, individual loaves. Keep it in the freezer.
Need to make some more. I have none! Need to start saving some extra bread
to put in it. I only put a little bit. I do put a ton of cooked veggies in
it.

When I ate eggs, I bought 2 dozen at a time. The dozen that I hard boiled
were tinted. One year after Easter some store was practically giving away
Easter egg dye. I bought some and would use a tiny bit to dye them. That
way we could identify the boiled ones. But now they've gone off of boiled
eggs so I don't make them any more.

Now they eat microwaved eggs. Made in a paper bowl. Husband uses real eggs
but Angela uses an egg product. If using real ones you have to whisk them
first. Put the eggs in the bowl with about a half a teaspoon of olive oil
or butter and a sprinkle of salt. You could add pepper and herbs if you
want. Can also add meat, veggies and cheese. If adding cheese add it
towards the end. Nuke for about 2.5 minutes, stir, then add cheese if
using. Nuke for another 20-30 seconds. Can eat right from the bowl.

I don't often snack between meals but when I do it is usually something like
olives or unsweetened coconut. I also have some Lupini beans. I love
those!

Old 23-03-2013, 05:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message ...

[...]

get a pool of fat around each muffin. Sausage mince is fatty. From memory,
JC used either Graham crackers or low carb bread as the binder with some
egg. So start with lean beef mince (what you call hamburger?), some kind
if binder like the bread or crackers, chopped onion, herbs of your choice,
one beaten egg, salt and pepper. I used a bit of Worcestershire sauce
sometimes and chopped tomatoes. I always taste my raw mince mixtures
before cooking to make sure they taste right, especially with the salt.

As with most things, I sauté things like onion and garlic first for more
flavour. I would probably cook for about 20-25 mins at 350?F. We are
metric here, someone might suggest a different temp as I am guessing. I
haven't made these for a while but I do remember I loved them for lunch,
nuked, and with the salad veggies we have on hamburgers here (lettuce,
tomato, beetroot, lol) plus a dash of ketchup.

-T

I learned here to cook the veggies first. Chop finely or put through the
food processor, then sauté in a little olive oil until they're soft and the
liquid has cooked out. If you don't do this, they will give off liquid as
the meatloaf cooks and it can make a mess in your oven. I always use
peppers and onions. Usually some spinach, zucchini, maybe some carrots,
tomatoes, perhaps mushrooms.

I do not put milk or egg in mine but tomato juice, or a mixed vegetable
juice. I used to use a small amount of oatmeal that had been whizzed in the
blender. Would soak that in the juice. But I can't have oats now. Now
that I think of it, I'm not so sure that my bread would be good in there
because it tastes sweet. Angela eats a sugar free bran cereal. I'll bet
that would work if crushed up. Or maybe I can find some kind of whole wheat
crackers. I don't put a lot of filler in mine. Maybe a handful to a huge
bowl of mix. I make it in my huge pasta bowl and it is enough to make at
least 4-6 meals for three of us.

I do use Italian type seasonings and ketchup. And I like to top it with
chili sauce. Of course there are carbs in these things. I used to buy the
low carb ketchup from Heinz but not sure they make it any more. I have
tried other brands but they reminded me of tomato paste. So I suppose you
could also use a little tomato paste and perhaps a bit of extra seasoning.

I don't usually like sausage in my meatloaf or anything else because I am
not a sausage lover. But my husband's aunt made it with sausage and ground
beef and it was good. She likely used Italian mild sausage.

Old 23-03-2013, 05:49 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message ...

[...]

Not really true. I seldom do saute the veggies, and never had a mess in my
oven. I imagine it depends more on the pan you use. I use a foil lined sheet
pan and shape the loaf. No runover like can happen with loaf pans.

Cheri

Old 23-03-2013, 06:56 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" wrote in message
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Ozgirl" wrote in message

"Todd" wrote in message ...

[...]

From memory, JC used either Graham crackers or low carb bread as the
[...]

I don't use a loaf pan. Just a lipped cookie sheet but I do put a ton of
veggies in mine. Pretty much about half meat and half veggies. I have
never had a mess either but it did get worrisome when I didn't cook them
first. They let off sooo much liquid! It seemed to get sucked back into
them as they cooled but it was very hard to remove the pans from the oven.

Old 23-03-2013, 01:15 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: I don't use a loaf pan. Just a lipped cookie sheet but I do put a ton of
: veggies in mine. Pretty much about half meat and half veggies. I have
: never had a mess either but it did get worrisome when I didn't cook them
: first. They let off sooo much liquid! It seemed to get sucked back into
: them as they cooled but it was very hard to remove the pans from the oven.

I don't cook my vegetables, use my low carb bread whizzed in the food
processor, and cook it in an old 9" metal sqquare cake panwith room on the
dises so the liquid can acmulate there. I sometimes put otatoes , halved
adn cut side up around the meatloaf if I am havign non-diabetics like my
kids over for dinner adn it all cooks at one

Wendy

Old 26-03-2013, 06:54 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Whole food -- gardening, etc.

In article , Todd
wrote:

I stink as a farmer. But, that does not stop me from trying.
I was turning my soil over to kill the encroaching grass
in my organic garden last week. The soil looked and felt
better than I remember. So things are looking up.

I am so looking forward to fresh picked zucchini! Winter
is driving me nuts.

I started seeds on 3/17: 14 varieties of tomatoes, and a bunch of
flowers. There will be more veggies started later, and many which are
directly sown in the soil once it's warm enough.

Spring is coming very late to the Boston area. I really need the feel
of sun on my head and soil on my hands.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 Mr.Smartypants[_2_] Vegan 0 22-09-2009 08:43 PM
Insulin History-Dlife Uncle Enrico Diabetic 0 05-11-2007 05:40 PM
How To Stimulate your Body's Natural Insulin and Reduce Blood Glucose Levels. Glucosium's natural ingredients can help control blood sugar, stimulate your body's insulin production, limit nerve damage and much more. posh Diabetic 1 17-01-2006 01:48 AM
Insulin Pump Gregory Poche Diabetic 7 03-03-2005 03:44 AM
Insulin puffers story [email protected] Diabetic 1 25-10-2003 03:51 PM