Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Whole food -- gardening, etc.

On 03/26/2013 11:54 AM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>

>> I stink as a farmer. But, that does not stop me from trying.
>> I was turning my soil over to kill the encroaching grass
>> in my organic garden last week. The soil looked and felt
>> better than I remember. So things are looking up.
>>
>> I am so looking forward to fresh picked zucchini! Winter
>> is driving me nuts.

> I started seeds on 3/17: 14 varieties of tomatoes, and a bunch of
> flowers. There will be more veggies started later, and many which are
> directly sown in the soil once it's warm enough.
>
> Spring is coming very late to the Boston area. I really need the feel
> of sun on my head and soil on my hands.
>
> PP

Hi PP,

We are not suppose to plant till the first week of June.
Too much frost and freezing weather. :'(

14 varieties of tomatoes. Oh man!

-T
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What do you non-insulin T2's eat for breakfast?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> So meat loaf is like an omelet: it is
> a vehicle to use up leftovers

An egg-based dish similar to an omelette or quiche, enriched with
additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, vegetables or pasta is
called a Frittata.

--
Remember Rachel Corrie
<http://www.rachelcorrie.org/>

Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/28/2013 08:45 AM, Billy wrote:
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> So meat loaf is like an omelet: it is
>> a vehicle to use up leftovers

> An egg-based dish similar to an omelette or quiche, enriched with
> additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, vegetables or pasta is
> called a Frittata.

Thank you
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Billy" > wrote in message
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> So meat loaf is like an omelet: it is
>> a vehicle to use up leftovers

> An egg-based dish similar to an omelette or quiche, enriched with
> additional ingredients such as meats, cheeses, vegetables or pasta is
> called a Frittata.

I have used up things in egg dishes but never in a meatloaf. My meatloaves
are always planned and often I have to go to the store with the salad bar so
I can buy small amounts of things we wouldn't otherwise eat. Like spinach.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 03/26/2013 11:54 AM, Peppermint Patootie wrote:
> > I started seeds on 3/17: 14 varieties of tomatoes, and a bunch of
> > flowers. There will be more veggies started later, and many which are
> > directly sown in the soil once it's warm enough.
> >
> > Spring is coming very late to the Boston area. I really need the feel
> > of sun on my head and soil on my hands.

> We are not suppose to plant till the first week of June.
> Too much frost and freezing weather. :'(
>
> 14 varieties of tomatoes. Oh man!
>
> -T

Our last frost date is in the beginning of May. My tomato starts are
indoors, of course.

PP

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 03/17/2013 04:01 PM, Billy wrote:

(snip)

> > My only point is that there is a certain set of concerns when you become
> > a vegetarian,including B12, tryptophan, or zinc.

> Don't forget Acetyl L-Carnitine and Carnosine.

That concern didn't last long. Apparently L-carnitine is synthesized by
the body as needed, and an excess leads to cardiovascular disease.

<http://www.nature.com/nm/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nm.3145.html>
Intestinal microbiota metabolism of l-carnitine, a nutrient in red meat,
promotes atherosclerosis.

Intestinal microbiota metabolism of choline and phosphatidylcholine
produces trimethylamine (TMA), which is further metabolized to a
proatherogenic species, trimethylamine-N-oxide (TMAO). We demonstrate
here that metabolism by intestinal microbiota of dietary l-carnitine, a
trimethylamine abundant in red meat, also produces TMAO and accelerates
atherosclerosis in mice. Omnivorous human subjects produced more TMAO
than did vegans or vegetarians following ingestion of l-carnitine
through a microbiota-dependent mechanism. The presence of specific
bacterial taxa in human feces was associated with both plasma TMAO
concentration and dietary status. Plasma l-carnitine levels in subjects
undergoing cardiac evaluation (n = 2,595) predicted increased risks for
both prevalent cardiovascular disease (CVD) and incident major adverse
cardiac events (myocardial infarction, stroke or death), but only among
subjects with concurrently high TMAO levels. Chronic dietary l-carnitine
supplementation in mice altered cecal microbial composition, markedly
enhanced synthesis of TMA and TMAO, and increased atherosclerosis, but
this did not occur if intestinal microbiota was concurrently suppressed.
In mice with an intact intestinal microbiota, dietary supplementation
with TMAO or either carnitine or choline reduced in vivo reverse
cholesterol transport. Intestinal microbiota may thus contribute to the
well-established link between high levels of red meat consumption and
CVD risk.

> I think it is the height
> of arrogance to think our science can tell us everything to supplement
> with when you are doing something unnatural.

(snip)
> -T

Be a vegetarian, and watch your B12, tryptophan, or zinc levels, or
become a sedentary herbivore and get heart disease. Any other choices?
--
The Gate Keepers
<http://www.bostonglobe.com/arts/movies/2013

Insulin-like Growth Factor-1 Mr.Smartypants[_2_] Vegan 0 22-09-2009 08:43 PM
Insulin History-Dlife Uncle Enrico Diabetic 0 05-11-2007 06:40 PM
How To Stimulate your Body's Natural Insulin and Reduce Blood Glucose Levels. Glucosium's natural ingredients can help control blood sugar, stimulate your body's insulin production, limit nerve damage and much more. posh Diabetic 1 17-01-2006 02:48 AM
Insulin Pump Gregory Poche Diabetic 7 03-03-2005 04:44 AM
Insulin puffers story [email protected] Diabetic 1 25-10-2003 03:51 PM