FoodBanter.com

-   -   My favourite soup (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/422857-my-favourite-soup.html)

Ozgirl 17-02-2013 12:57 AM

My favourite soup

Bacon and Lentil Soup (my version of pea and ham)

A few bacon bones or ham hocks (preferably the hocks as they have some
meat on them)
Red lentils according to carb limits
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
Stock, enough to cover all the ingredients after the canned tomatoes are
tossed in :)
Onions and garlic
Any veggies you like and can tolerate - shredded cabbage, celery plus
leaves, carrots, turnip, broccoli that may have started to seed.
Cook in a slow cooker on low (after bringing to the boil) until veggies
are done to your satisfaction :)

Todd 17-02-2013 03:11 AM

My favourite soup

On 02/16/2013 03:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> Red lentils according to carb limits

Lentils, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt [1]:
39 Grams of carbohydrate per cup.

I could count how many lentils I could have on one hand.

What would you substitute?

-T

-T
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4439/2

Alice Faber 17-02-2013 03:36 AM

My favourite soup

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> On 02/16/2013 03:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
> > Red lentils according to carb limits

> Lentils, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt [1]:
> 39 Grams of carbohydrate per cup.
>
> I could count how many lentils I could have on one hand.
>
> What would you substitute?

First, note the 16 or so grams of fiber. Second, if you put the lentils
in soup, you don't have to have a full 1 cup serving of lentils. I just
made a soup, but haven't tasted it yet, as it needs a cool-reheat cycle,
that started with 1/2 cup dry lentils. Given all the other stuff in the
soup, it will probably be 6 or 8 servings of soup. (There are carbs from
some of the other veggies, but the bulk of the soup is shredded cabbage.)

I have generally had no difficulty with other legumes in soup, but this
is my first try in a long time to have lentils. I anticipate extra
testing tomorrow, to see how this works.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-02-2013 06:55 AM

My favourite soup

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >, Todd >
> wrote:
>
>> On 02/16/2013 03:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> > Red lentils according to carb limits

>> Lentils, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt [1]:
>> 39 Grams of carbohydrate per cup.
>>
>> I could count how many lentils I could have on one hand.
>>
>> What would you substitute?
>>

> First, note the 16 or so grams of fiber. Second, if you put the lentils
> in soup, you don't have to have a full 1 cup serving of lentils. I just
> made a soup, but haven't tasted it yet, as it needs a cool-reheat cycle,
> that started with 1/2 cup dry lentils. Given all the other stuff in the
> soup, it will probably be 6 or 8 servings of soup. (There are carbs from
> some of the other veggies, but the bulk of the soup is shredded cabbage.)
>
> I have generally had no difficulty with other legumes in soup, but this
> is my first try in a long time to have lentils. I anticipate extra
> testing tomorrow, to see how this works.
>
> --
> "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
> what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

I don't know why but lentils spike me probably worse than anything else.
Odd because I can eat 1.5 cups of beans with no problems. A few months ago
I tried lentil soup again in a restaurant because I wasn't particularly
hungry. The soup wasn't very good and I only ate a few bites but still got
a nasty spike. Thankfully lentils are my least favorite of the legumes so
it's no great loss to me. I have been able to eat a mixed vegetable soup
with a few lentils in it but not a full on lentil soup.

Todd doesn't subtract fiber because he said his Dr. told him not to.

Ozgirl 17-02-2013 11:03 AM

My favourite soup

Just leave the lentils out. I used to have barley so lentils were a
great substitute for them. If you were traditional and used dried peas
then I think they would be way too carby. It would still be ok without
any legumes or grains. Also remember that soup servings could be a lot.
I get maybe 6-8 bowls out of mine so even 39 gr of carb between 6-8
serves is quite small. Of course one has to add in the veggie carbs. I
have always been lucky that I can tolerate tomatoes, carrots and onions
very well. Having the cabbage and celery sticks plus leaves can bring
down the carb count if you had to lessen the other veggies and cut out
the tomatoes. Stock, lower carb veggies and the smoked hocks should be
ok. I know someone who takes some of the veggies out and purees them and
puts them back in the soup as a low carb thickener.

Todd 18-02-2013 01:16 AM

My favourite soup

> "Todd" wrote in message ...
>
> On 02/16/2013 03:57 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
>> Red lentils according to carb limits

> Lentils, mature seeds, cooked, boiled, with salt [1]:
> 39 Grams of carbohydrate per cup.
>
> I could count how many lentils I could have on one hand.
>
> What would you substitute?
>
> -T
>

> -T
> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/4439/2

> On 02/17/2013 02:03 AM, Ozgirl wrote:> Just leave the lentils out. I used to have barley so lentils were a
>> great substitute for them. If you were traditional and used dried peas
>> then I think they would be way too carby. It would still be ok without
>> any legumes or grains. Also remember that soup servings could be a lot.
>> I get maybe 6-8 bowls out of mine so even 39 gr of carb between 6-8
>> serves is quite small. Of course one has to add in the veggie carbs. I
>> have always been lucky that I can tolerate tomatoes, carrots and onions
>> very well. Having the cabbage and celery sticks plus leaves can bring
>> down the carb count if you had to lessen the other veggies and cut out
>> the tomatoes. Stock, lower carb veggies and the smoked hocks should be
>> ok. I know someone who takes some of the veggies out and purees them and
>> puts them back in the soup as a low carb thickener.

Hi Ozgirl,

Okay, now I understand. You are using the lentils as a "Seasoning"
as I do carrots. Now it makes sense. I catch on slowly. Thank you!

Just small talk: I have never likes lentils, except with bacon. Then
I love them. Your recipe sounds wonderful.

Since I can't get a hold of any hocks and the pork in the supers
has a bad aroma (smells like the stockyard), I wonder if plain old
uncured bacon pieces would suffice. Be nice if I could find some
CSA (community supported agriculture) pork.

Saw a documentary on CSA farming where an apple farmer used pigs
to do the full circle thing. I bet he gets a pretty penny for
that pork!

I am babbling.

-T

Todd 18-02-2013 01:17 AM

My favourite soup

On 02/17/2013 02:03 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
> Just leave the lentils out. I used to have barley so lentils were a
> great substitute for them

How stupid dopes it sound to use smashed up walnuts?

Ozgirl 18-02-2013 12:33 PM

My favourite soup

Nothing sounds stupid to me. I just put things down to individual taste
:) If you like walnuts in your soup, go for it.

bigwheel 18-02-2013 06:58 PM

Thanks for the recipe. Sounds good. Still trying to figger out what is a bacon bone? lol. Will confess not have having messed with lentils too much but found them very good on those few occasions. One point I would hazard to mention is other legumes do not play well with acids early in the cook cycle. With Pinto beans for example..cooking in tomato products is a pretty sure fire method of coming up with a tough i.e. case hardened final product..which is fine if thats what is wanted. We like them soft and chewable in this area..so tomato products are not added till the beans are as tender as wanted. Just a thought. Lentils may march to a different drummer..lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozgirl (Post 1814210)

Ozgirl 19-02-2013 01:26 AM

My favourite soup

Bacon bones are what is left over after the smoked pork is removed and
sliced as the bacon you know and love :) Most bacon bones have enough
"bacon" left on them to make a nice addition to the bowl of soup, if not
hocks have more. The bones add a nice smoky, salty flavour to the soup.
Like in pea and ham. After cooking I take the bones and hocks out and
remove the meat and chop it up and put back in the soup. When I say I
use lentils I think people are thinking if lentil soup which is quite
thick and almost all lentil. My soup is quite liquid and the amount of
lentils in each bowl wouldn't amount to much carb.

bigwheel 19-02-2013 05:54 PM

Ok gotcha thanks, Guess most of our bacon in Americka comes from boneless bellies..but some folks do like to make bacon out of Boston Butts which most call "Buckboard Bacon" or out of boneless loins which is called "Canadian Bacon" eh? The lentil shortage in the soup sounds like a good plan for those trying to dodge carbs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozgirl (Post 1814949)

Alice Faber 16-03-2013 03:48 PM

My favourite soup

In article
Billy > wrote:

> What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
> with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.

Nothing. I don't worry about the fat content of my recipes.

bigwheel 16-03-2013 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozgirl (Post 1814210)
Bacon and Lentil Soup (my version of pea and ham)

A few bacon bones or ham hocks (preferably the hocks as they have some
meat on them)
Red lentils according to carb limits
1 large can of crushed tomatoes
Stock, enough to cover all the ingredients after the canned tomatoes are
tossed in :)
Onions and garlic
Any veggies you like and can tolerate - shredded cabbage, celery plus
leaves, carrots, turnip, broccoli that may have started to seed.
Cook in a slow cooker on low (after bringing to the boil) until veggies
are done to your satisfaction :)

Sounds mighty yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I have a pot of turkey soup going as we speak..made from a leftover smoked turkey carcass. Its tasting purty good but dont have any veggies to go in it..also no noodles..sniff sniff. Thought about dumplings or rice but heck..who needs all those unhealthy carbs huh? Think I just eat it sorta clear and have the bread on the side. Do you think that would be a good plan? Or any other good ideas would appreciated. Thanks.

W. Baker 16-03-2013 10:38 PM

My favourite soup

bigwheel > wrote:

: Sounds mighty yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I have a pot of turkey soup
: going as we speak..made from a leftover smoked turkey carcass. Its
: tasting purty good but dont have any veggies to go in it..also no
: noodles..sniff sniff. Thought about dumplings or rice but heck..who
: needs all those unhealthy carbs huh? Think I just eat it sorta clear and
: have the bread on the side. Do you think that would be a good plan? Or
: any other good ideas would appreciated. Thanks.
: --
: bigwheel

Too bad you have no nice soup vegetables around lke onins, carrots,
celery, etc. I would eat it with a salad on the side rather than regular
bread, but I guess you have no salad vegetables either:-(

Wendy

Todd 17-03-2013 01:29 AM

My favourite soup

On 03/15/2013 11:00 PM, Billy wrote:
> What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup?

Isn't that called "Hot Water"?

Todd 17-03-2013 03:02 AM

My favourite soup

On 03/16/2013 02:38 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> bigwheel > wrote:
>

> : Sounds mighty yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I have a pot of turkey soup
> : going as we speak..made from a leftover smoked turkey carcass. Its
> : tasting purty good but dont have any veggies to go in it..also no
> : noodles..sniff sniff. Thought about dumplings or rice but heck..who
> : needs all those unhealthy carbs huh? Think I just eat it sorta clear and
> : have the bread on the side. Do you think that would be a good plan? Or
> : any other good ideas would appreciated. Thanks.
> : --
> : bigwheel
>
> Too bad you have no nice soup vegetables around lke onins, carrots,
> celery, etc. I would eat it with a salad on the side rather than regular
> bread, but I guess you have no salad vegetables either:-(
>
> Wendy

Okay, I realize you said you had no vegi's, so recommending
swiss chard stems is beside the point, but they work like
celery without all the carbs. (Okay, you can use a celery
stem as a seasoning, but then the rest of the batch goes bad
waiting for the next seasoning incident. Chards don't
last a week.)

I keep some frozen vegis around just in case I can not find any
fresh ones. Use about six frozen baby carrots in my chicken broth.
Someday, maybe I will look up broccoli cheese soup.

-T

W. Baker 17-03-2013 03:17 AM

My favourite soup

Todd > wrote:
: On 03/15/2013 11:00 PM, Billy wrote:
: > What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup?

: Isn't that called "Hot Water"?
You can do things like chicken soup that are not fatty(let it cool in the
fridge andremove any fat on the top ) and add lots of onions, carrots,
celery, parsnip, dill, at the end. FGBP and serve with onion powder to
sprinkle in place of salt. Low lots of things. I like to add some curry
to the soup to give it a bit ofa lift that salt usually gives it. Worked
for me when I was supposed to be low salt. Now my bp is117/70 with 1/12
the meds i used to take, so I don't have to worry at all about salt.

Wendy

W. Baker 17-03-2013 03:19 AM

My favourite soup

Todd > wrote:
: On 03/16/2013 02:38 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: > bigwheel > wrote:
: >
: >
: > : Sounds mighty yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I have a pot of turkey soup
: > : going as we speak..made from a leftover smoked turkey carcass. Its
: > : tasting purty good but dont have any veggies to go in it..also no
: > : noodles..sniff sniff. Thought about dumplings or rice but heck..who
: > : needs all those unhealthy carbs huh? Think I just eat it sorta clear and
: > : have the bread on the side. Do you think that would be a good plan? Or
: > : any other good ideas would appreciated. Thanks.
: > : --
: > : bigwheel
: >
[...]

Ce;ery was the onoy food my Father maintained actually took weight off.
He said it contained fewer calories than it took to chew it up:-) plenty
of celery in soup, also use it with dips, etc instead of chips, etc.

Wendy

Julie Bove[_2_] 17-03-2013 03:24 AM

My favourite soup

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 03/16/2013 02:38 PM, W. Baker wrote:
>> bigwheel > wrote:
>>

>> : Sounds mighty yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I have a pot of turkey soup
>> : going as we speak..made from a leftover smoked turkey carcass. Its
>> : tasting purty good but dont have any veggies to go in it..also no
>> : noodles..sniff sniff. Thought about dumplings or rice but heck..who
>> : needs all those unhealthy carbs huh? Think I just eat it sorta clear
>> and
>> : have the bread on the side. Do you think that would be a good plan? Or
>> : any other good ideas would appreciated. Thanks.
>> : --
>> : bigwheel
>>
>> Too bad you have no nice soup vegetables around lke onins, carrots,
>> celery, etc. I would eat it with a salad on the side rather than regular
>> bread, but I guess you have no salad vegetables either:-(
>>
>> Wendy
>>

> Okay, I realize you said you had no vegi's, so recommending
> swiss chard stems is beside the point, but they work like
> celery without all the carbs. (Okay, you can use a celery
> stem as a seasoning, but then the rest of the batch goes bad
> waiting for the next seasoning incident. Chards don't
> last a week.)
>
> I keep some frozen vegis around just in case I can not find any
> fresh ones. Use about six frozen baby carrots in my chicken broth.
> Someday, maybe I will look up broccoli cheese soup.
>
> -T

You can buy celery here by the rib.

Bjørn Steensrud 17-03-2013 07:07 PM

My favourite soup

Billy wrote:

> What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
> with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.

Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can be
salt free if you need it:

A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion and a
quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.

After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice of
rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly 100 g
of each kind to 1 kg meat.

Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.

Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I think.

Billy[_9_] 18-03-2013 12:59 AM

My favourite soup

In article >,
Bjørn Steensrud > wrote:

> Billy wrote:
>

> > What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
> > with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.

> Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can be
> salt free if you need it:
>
> A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
> fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion and a
> quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.
>
> After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice of
> rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly 100 g
> of each kind to 1 kg meat.
>
> Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
> whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.
>
> Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I think.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

--
Welcome to the New America.
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hA736oK9FPg>

Billy[_9_] 18-03-2013 02:04 AM

My favourite soup

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Todd > wrote:
> : On 03/15/2013 11:00 PM, Billy wrote:
> : > What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup?
>
> : Isn't that called "Hot Water"?
> You can do things like chicken soup that are not fatty(let it cool in the
> fridge andremove any fat on the top ) and add lots of onions, carrots,
> celery, parsnip, dill, at the end. FGBP and serve with onion powder to
> sprinkle in place of salt. Low lots of things. I like to add some curry
> to the soup to give it a bit ofa lift that salt usually gives it. Worked
> for me when I was supposed to be low salt. Now my bp is117/70 with 1/12
> the meds i used to take, so I don't have to worry at all about salt.
>
> Wendy

Thanks Wendy. I like these soups because you can control the amount of
carbs, fats, and salt in them.

I particularly like

Mexican Chicken Soup

1 lb (usually less) Boneless/skinless chicken thighs
2 stalks of celery - thinly sliced
1 large carrot - thinly sliced
1 medium onion - finely chopped
1 to 2 14 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 to 5 14 oz cans chicken broth (or homemade stock)
1 teaspoon dried thyme + 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
1package (usually a cup or less of whole wheat) egg noodles, cooked
1 serrano pepper, finely diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
juice from 2-3 limes

I use "Kitchen Basics" no salt added broth (650mg NaCl/L).

I have the best B.P. that money can buy at 115/65 on average.

We never had salt on the table, but now I have to watch for it in broth,
tomato sauce, pickles, pepperocini. As a result, most of our meals are
made from scratch.

I guess my grail in my quest for a soup would be something like a
minestrone (beans & pasta adjustable), but so far I haven't found one I
really like.

Thanks again for the outline of the soup.

bigwheel 18-03-2013 03:28 AM

Well yes we was out of everything yesterday. From all the carrying in of stuff just a while ago..think we must have now restocked the larder. I am ready to rip but throwed out the turkey soup because it smell and tasted sorta funky. I knew there was bound to be some reason I aint never made that before.

bigwheel 18-03-2013 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd (Post 1821767)
bigwheel wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the heads up on Chard. I heard of it but never seen any up close. Course I was full grown before ever trying broccoli and calliflower so guess there aint much mystery to that one. Now this is the first I heard that celery is loaded up with carbs. Richard Simmons always say it burn off more calories to chew it than you get from it. This science changes fast..lol Or he wasn't worried about carbs maybe.

bigwheel 18-03-2013 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjørn Steensrud (Post 1821942)
Billy wrote:

What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.

Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can be
salt free if you need it:

A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion and a
quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.

After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice of
rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly 100 g
of each kind to 1 kg meat.

Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.

Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I think.

Thanks for the recipe. Arrahhhaa..nope..that aint pulled beef. That called soup..lol. Sounds mighty tasty too. How come no stock allowed? That just dont seem fair. As Emeril say..Water takes away flavor..stock adds flavor. Are we trying to dodge fat or salt here? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff.

Todd 18-03-2013 04:43 AM

My favourite soup

On 03/17/2013 07:36 PM, bigwheel wrote:

>> Okay, I realize you said you had no vegi's, so recommending
>> swiss chard stems is beside the point, but they work like
>> celery without all the carbs. (Okay, you can use a celery
>> stem as a seasoning, but then the rest of the batch goes bad
>> waiting for the next seasoning incident. Chards don't
>> last a week.)
>>
>> I keep some frozen vegis around just in case I can not find any
>> fresh ones. Use about six frozen baby carrots in my chicken broth.
>> Someday, maybe I will look up broccoli cheese soup.
>>
>> -T

> Thanks for the heads up on Chard. I heard of it but never seen any up
> close. Course I was full grown before ever trying broccoli and
> calliflower so guess there aint much mystery to that one. Now this is
> the first I heard that celery is loaded up with carbs. Richard Simmons
> always say it burn off more calories to chew it than you get from it.
> This science changes fast..lol Or he wasn't worried about carbs maybe.

Hi Big,

Celery may taste a little better than chard so soup, but it is
pretty close.

Celery Raw:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2396/2

One cup chopped: 3 grams carbs.

Okay for seasoning, but you wouldn't want to munch on them.

-T

Todd 18-03-2013 04:44 AM

My favourite soup

On 03/16/2013 07:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> You can buy celery here by the rib.

Mumble, mumble.

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-03-2013 05:26 AM

My favourite soup

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 03/17/2013 07:36 PM, bigwheel wrote:
>
>>> Okay, I realize you said you had no vegi's, so recommending
>>> swiss chard stems is beside the point, but they work like
>>> celery without all the carbs. (Okay, you can use a celery
>>> stem as a seasoning, but then the rest of the batch goes bad
>>> waiting for the next seasoning incident. Chards don't
>>> last a week.)
>>>
>>> I keep some frozen vegis around just in case I can not find any
>>> fresh ones. Use about six frozen baby carrots in my chicken broth.
>>> Someday, maybe I will look up broccoli cheese soup.
>>>
>>> -T

>> Thanks for the heads up on Chard. I heard of it but never seen any up
>> close. Course I was full grown before ever trying broccoli and
>> calliflower so guess there aint much mystery to that one. Now this is
>> the first I heard that celery is loaded up with carbs. Richard Simmons
>> always say it burn off more calories to chew it than you get from it.
>> This science changes fast..lol Or he wasn't worried about carbs maybe.

> Hi Big,
>
> Celery may taste a little better than chard so soup, but it is
> pretty close.
>
> Celery Raw:
>
> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2396/2
>
> One cup chopped: 3 grams carbs.
>
> Okay for seasoning, but you wouldn't want to munch on them.
>
> -T

Why in the world wouldn't you want to munch on them? They're very low in
carbs. If you think 3 grams is a lot of carbs for a cup, then I sure feel
sorry for you!

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-03-2013 05:27 AM

My favourite soup

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 03/16/2013 07:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> You can buy celery here by the rib.

> Mumble, mumble.

What's that supposed to mean?

Nick Cramer 18-03-2013 05:50 AM

My favourite soup

?B?QmrDuHJu?= Steensrud > wrote:
> Billy wrote:
>

> > What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
> > with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.

> Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can
> be salt free if you need it:
>
> A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
> fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion and
> a quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.
>
> After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice
> of rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly
> 100 g of each kind to 1 kg meat.
>
> Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
> whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.
>
> Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I
> think.

My daughter surprised me with corned beef and cabbage for St. Paddy's Day,
today. Not salty or spiced, with carrots and a little potato. Really good.
Enough broth for a nice soup, too. Manyana.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Bjørn Steensrud 18-03-2013 10:08 AM

My favourite soup

bigwheel wrote:

> Bjørn Steensrud;1821942 Wrote:
>> Billy wrote:
>> -
>>
>> What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
>> with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.-
>>
>> Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can
>> be
>> salt free if you need it:
>>
>> A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
>> fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion
>> and a
>> quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.
>>
>> After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice
>> of
>> rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly
>> 100 g
>> of each kind to 1 kg meat.
>>
>> Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
>> whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.
>>
>> Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I
>> think.

> Thanks for the recipe. Arrahhhaa..nope..that aint pulled beef. That
> called soup..lol. Sounds mighty tasty too. How come no stock allowed?
> That just dont seem fair. As Emeril say..Water takes away flavor..stock
> adds flavor. Are we trying to dodge fat or salt here? Enquiring minds
> need to know this kinda stuff.

Yes - dodging salt, mostly. Actually the broth from the simmering is quite
concentrated and flavorful. The consistency of the beef is what I associate
with "pulled pork" :-)

My mom used to make this. "Fresh meat and soup" - name goes back to the old
times when meat was salted, smoked, dried and fresh meat was hard to find.

(The good old days is defined as when salmon was smoked to preserve it ...
and in those days, farm hands in salmon areas had it in their work contracts
that they were not required to eat salmon more than three times a week.)

W. Baker 18-03-2013 02:02 PM

My favourite soup

bigwheel > wrote:

: Bj??rn Steensrud;1821942 Wrote:
: > Billy wrote:
: > -
: >
[...]

As isthe case in the chicken soup recipe I sent in as well as this one,
long cooking with the meat(or chicken) actually is like making a stock and
then using it. In old family recipes this was the standard proceedure.
Generally making a stock as not frequently done as a separate proceedure
and soup was always a long cooking enterprise, taking several hours on a
low flame. Readily available stock was not something people had and soup
ws made, often, from what was around the house and as far as vegetables
were concerned, whtever ws about to gobad.

Wendy

Bjørn Steensrud 18-03-2013 03:43 PM

My favourite soup

W. Baker wrote:

> bigwheel > wrote:
>
> : Bj??rn Steensrud;1821942 Wrote:
> : > Billy wrote:
> : > -
> : >
> : > What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
> : > with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.-
> : >
> : > Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and
> : > can be
> : > salt free if you need it:
> : >
> : > A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
> : > fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion
> : > and a
> : > quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.
> : >
> : > After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed
> : > slice of
> : > rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly
> : > 100 g
> : > of each kind to 1 kg meat.
> : >
> : > Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
> : > whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.
> : >
> : > Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I
> : > think.
>
> : Thanks for the recipe. Arrahhhaa..nope..that aint pulled beef. That
> : called soup..lol. Sounds mighty tasty too. How come no stock allowed?
> : That just dont seem fair. As Emeril say..Water takes away flavor..stock
> : adds flavor. Are we trying to dodge fat or salt here? Enquiring minds
> : need to know this kinda stuff.
> : --
> : bigwheel
>
> As isthe case in the chicken soup recipe I sent in as well as this one,
> long cooking with the meat(or chicken) actually is like making a stock and
> then using it. In old family recipes this was the standard proceedure.
> Generally making a stock as not frequently done as a separate proceedure
> and soup was always a long cooking enterprise, taking several hours on a
> low flame. Readily available stock was not something people had and soup
> ws made, often, from what was around the house and as far as vegetables
> were concerned, whtever ws about to gobad.
>
> Wendy

I read a story where one of the characters is stirring a soup, saying "My
grandmother started this soup" ,,,

Todd 18-03-2013 09:32 PM

My favourite soup

On 03/17/2013 09:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Thanks for the heads up on Chard. I heard of it but never seen any up
>>> close. Course I was full grown before ever trying broccoli and
>>> calliflower so guess there aint much mystery to that one. Now this is
>>> the first I heard that celery is loaded up with carbs. Richard Simmons
>>> always say it burn off more calories to chew it than you get from it.
>>> This science changes fast..lol Or he wasn't worried about carbs maybe.

>> Hi Big,
>>
>> Celery may taste a little better than chard so soup, but it is
>> pretty close.
>>
>> Celery Raw:
>>
>> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2396/2
>>
>> One cup chopped: 3 grams carbs.
>>
>> Okay for seasoning, but you wouldn't want to munch on them.
>>
>> -T

> Why in the world wouldn't you want to munch on them? They're very low in
> carbs. If you think 3 grams is a lot of carbs for a cup, then I sure feel
> sorry for you!

Munch one? But, who stopped there? You are right, 3 grams per cups
is pretty low. I do munch radishes. So, maybe I will try some. But
more than half usually goes bad.

Todd 18-03-2013 09:40 PM

My favourite soup

On 03/17/2013 09:27 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> "Todd" > wrote in message
>> On 03/16/2013 07:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>> You can buy celery here by the rib.

>> Mumble, mumble.

> What's that supposed to mean?

That was a friendly/corny way of saying I wish
my stores were as nice as yours.

By the way, you do get use to having to explain your
jokes.

-T

Julie Bove[_2_] 18-03-2013 10:37 PM

My favourite soup

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 03/17/2013 09:27 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>>>

>>> Mumble, mumble.

>> What's that supposed to mean?

> That was a friendly/corny way of saying I wish
> my stores were as nice as yours.
>
> By the way, you do get use to having to explain your
> jokes.
>
> -T

Okay...

W. Baker 18-03-2013 10:44 PM

My favourite soup

Todd > wrote:
: On 03/17/2013 09:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: > "Todd" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >> On 03/17/2013 07:36 PM, bigwheel wrote:
: >>
: >>>> Okay, I realize you said you had no vegi's, so recommending
: >>>> swiss chard stems is beside the point, but they work like
: >>>> celery without all the carbs. (Okay, you can use a celery
: >>>> stem as a seasoning, but then the rest of the batch goes bad
: >>>> waiting for the next seasoning incident. Chards don't
: >>>> last a week.)
: >>>>
: >>>> I keep some frozen vegis around just in case I can not find any
: >>>> fresh ones. Use about six frozen baby carrots in my chicken broth.
: >>>> Someday, maybe I will look up broccoli cheese soup.
: >>>>
: >>>> -T
: >>>
[...]

Celery cn replace crckers for dipas, etc, or can be stuffed with spicy
cheese mixtures of peanut butter if you like that. Also you can cut some
into thin sticks and leave it in a glass of water in the fridge for a
quick low carb snack when the munchies hit.

Wendy

Todd 18-03-2013 11:10 PM

My favourite soup

On 03/18/2013 02:44 PM, W. Baker wrote:
> Todd > wrote:
> : On 03/17/2013 09:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> : > "Todd" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >> On 03/17/2013 07:36 PM, bigwheel wrote:
> : >>
> : >>>> Okay, I realize you said you had no vegi's, so recommending
> : >>>> swiss chard stems is beside the point, but they work like
> : >>>> celery without all the carbs. (Okay, you can use a celery
> : >>>> stem as a seasoning, but then the rest of the batch goes bad
> : >>>> waiting for the next seasoning incident. Chards don't
> : >>>> last a week.)
> : >>>>
> : >>>> I keep some frozen vegis around just in case I can not find any
> : >>>> fresh ones. Use about six frozen baby carrots in my chicken broth.
> : >>>> Someday, maybe I will look up broccoli cheese soup.
> : >>>>
> : >>>> -T
> : >>>
> : >>> Thanks for the heads up on Chard. I heard of it but never seen any up
> : >>> close. Course I was full grown before ever trying broccoli and
> : >>> calliflower so guess there aint much mystery to that one. Now this is
> : >>> the first I heard that celery is loaded up with carbs. Richard Simmons
> : >>> always say it burn off more calories to chew it than you get from it.
> : >>> This science changes fast..lol Or he wasn't worried about carbs maybe.
> : >>
> : >> Hi Big,
> : >>
> : >> Celery may taste a little better than chard so soup, but it is
> : >> pretty close.
> : >>
> : >> Celery Raw:
> : >>
> : >> http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2396/2
> : >>
> : >> One cup chopped: 3 grams carbs.
> : >>
> : >> Okay for seasoning, but you wouldn't want to munch on them.
> : >>
> : >> -T
> : >
> : > Why in the world wouldn't you want to munch on them? They're very low in
> : > carbs. If you think 3 grams is a lot of carbs for a cup, then I sure feel
> : > sorry for you!
>
> : Munch one? But, who stopped there? You are right, 3 grams per cups
> : is pretty low. I do munch radishes. So, maybe I will try some. But
> : more than half usually goes bad.
> Celery cn replace crckers for dipas, etc, or can be stuffed with spicy
> cheese mixtures of peanut butter if you like that. Also you can cut some
> into thin sticks and leave it in a glass of water in the fridge for a
> quick low carb snack when the munchies hit.
>
> Wendy

Thank you!

bigwheel 19-03-2013 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bjørn Steensrud (Post 1822165)

Billy wrote:
-

[...]

Ok if that broth is stout enough to suit no need to mess with it. I was partially raised on mostly fried Salt Pork. I never did quite acquire a taste for the stuff by my daddy had it for near every meal and twice on Sunday. Just joshng a bit on the pulled pork and beef. Have seen all kinds of the stuff to be cooked in crock pots etc. Now we trys to cook it on a bbq pit..lol.

bigwheel 19-03-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by W. Baker (Post 1822166)
bigwheel wrote:

: Bj??rn Steensrud;1821942 Wrote:
: Billy wrote:
: -
:
[...]

Good food history lessons. Thanks. I lived through all that stuff. Guess I started getting interested in soup bases as flavor addendums back in the 70's mainly due to the influence of a cook book I was reading at the time which heartily recommended the procedure. Well about 30 years later I finally started bumping into some brands of bases which added flavor and not just salt...so I started using them and have been a happy camper since. Now if I was on a strict no salt diet guess I could get used to the water only flavor.