Old 18-03-2013, 09:08 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default My favourite soup

bigwheel wrote:

Bjørn Steensrud;1821942 Wrote:
Billy wrote:
-

What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.-

Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can
be
salt free if you need it:

A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion
and a
quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.

After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice
of
rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly
100 g
of each kind to 1 kg meat.

Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.

Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I
think.

Thanks for the recipe. Arrahhhaa..nope..that aint pulled beef. That
called soup..lol. Sounds mighty tasty too. How come no stock allowed?
That just dont seem fair. As Emeril say..Water takes away flavor..stock
adds flavor. Are we trying to dodge fat or salt here? Enquiring minds
need to know this kinda stuff.

Yes - dodging salt, mostly. Actually the broth from the simmering is quite
concentrated and flavorful. The consistency of the beef is what I associate
with "pulled pork" :-)

My mom used to make this. "Fresh meat and soup" - name goes back to the old
times when meat was salted, smoked, dried and fresh meat was hard to find.

(The good old days is defined as when salmon was smoked to preserve it ...
and in those days, farm hands in salmon areas had it in their work contracts
that they were not required to eat salmon more than three times a week.)

Old 18-03-2013, 01:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

bigwheel wrote:

: Bj??rn Steensrud;1821942 Wrote:
: Billy wrote:
: -
:
[...]

: --
: bigwheel

As isthe case in the chicken soup recipe I sent in as well as this one,
long cooking with the meat(or chicken) actually is like making a stock and
then using it. In old family recipes this was the standard proceedure.
Generally making a stock as not frequently done as a separate proceedure
and soup was always a long cooking enterprise, taking several hours on a
low flame. Readily available stock was not something people had and soup
ws made, often, from what was around the house and as far as vegetables
were concerned, whtever ws about to gobad.

Wendy
Old 18-03-2013, 02:43 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:

bigwheel wrote:

: Bj??rn Steensrud;1821942 Wrote:
: Billy wrote:
: -
:
[...]

I read a story where one of the characters is stirring a soup, saying "My
grandmother started this soup" ,,,

Old 18-03-2013, 08:32 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/17/2013 09:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
On 03/17/2013 07:36 PM, bigwheel wrote:

Okay, I realize you said you had no vegi's, so recommending
swiss chard stems is beside the point, but they work like
celery without all the carbs. (Okay, you can use a celery
stem as a seasoning, but then the rest of the batch goes bad
waiting for the next seasoning incident. Chards don't
last a week.)

I keep some frozen vegis around just in case I can not find any
fresh ones. Use about six frozen baby carrots in my chicken broth.
Someday, maybe I will look up broccoli cheese soup.

-T

Thanks for the heads up on Chard. I heard of it but never seen any up
close. Course I was full grown before ever trying broccoli and
calliflower so guess there aint much mystery to that one. Now this is
the first I heard that celery is loaded up with carbs. Richard Simmons
always say it burn off more calories to chew it than you get from it.
This science changes fast..lol Or he wasn't worried about carbs maybe.

Hi Big,

Celery may taste a little better than chard so soup, but it is
pretty close.

Celery Raw:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2396/2

One cup chopped: 3 grams carbs.

Okay for seasoning, but you wouldn't want to munch on them.

-T

Why in the world wouldn't you want to munch on them? They're very low in
carbs. If you think 3 grams is a lot of carbs for a cup, then I sure feel
sorry for you!

Munch one? But, who stopped there? You are right, 3 grams per cups
is pretty low. I do munch radishes. So, maybe I will try some. But
more than half usually goes bad.

Old 18-03-2013, 08:40 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/17/2013 09:27 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
"Todd" wrote in message
On 03/16/2013 07:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
You can buy celery here by the rib.

Mumble, mumble.

What's that supposed to mean?

That was a friendly/corny way of saying I wish
my stores were as nice as yours.

By the way, you do get use to having to explain your
jokes.

-T

Old 18-03-2013, 09:44 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 03/17/2013 09:26 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: "Todd" wrote in message
: ...
[...]

Celery cn replace crckers for dipas, etc, or can be stuffed with spicy
cheese mixtures of peanut butter if you like that. Also you can cut some
into thin sticks and leave it in a glass of water in the fridge for a
quick low carb snack when the munchies hit.

Wendy

Old 19-03-2013, 02:49 AM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjørn Steensrud View Post

Billy wrote:
-

[...]

Ok if that broth is stout enough to suit no need to mess with it. I was partially raised on mostly fried Salt Pork. I never did quite acquire a taste for the stuff by my daddy had it for near every meal and twice on Sunday. Just joshng a bit on the pulled pork and beef. Have seen all kinds of the stuff to be cooked in crock pots etc. Now we trys to cook it on a bbq pit..lol.
Old 19-03-2013, 03:03 AM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by W. Baker View Post
bigwheel wrote:

: Bj??rn Steensrud;1821942 Wrote:
: Billy wrote:
: -
:
[...]

Good food history lessons. Thanks. I lived through all that stuff. Guess I started getting interested in soup bases as flavor addendums back in the 70's mainly due to the influence of a cook book I was reading at the time which heartily recommended the procedure. Well about 30 years later I finally started bumping into some brands of bases which added flavor and not just salt...so I started using them and have been a happy camper since. Now if I was on a strict no salt diet guess I could get used to the water only flavor.

Got a favourite fruit? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 145 25-02-2016 06:19 PM
Favourite Tea jsjohnsmith Tea 26 24-01-2014 09:49 AM
my favourite bbq Peek Oil Barbecue 0 27-05-2008 10:13 PM
Favourite rub biig General Cooking 33 10-07-2006 06:21 AM
which is your favourite tea? Chinesetea Tea 30 29-08-2005 05:27 AM