Old 17-03-2013, 02:02 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default My favourite soup

On 03/16/2013 02:38 PM, W. Baker wrote:
bigwheel wrote:

: Sounds mighty yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I have a pot of turkey soup
: going as we speak..made from a leftover smoked turkey carcass. Its
: tasting purty good but dont have any veggies to go in it..also no
: noodles..sniff sniff. Thought about dumplings or rice but heck..who
: needs all those unhealthy carbs huh? Think I just eat it sorta clear and
: have the bread on the side. Do you think that would be a good plan? Or
: any other good ideas would appreciated. Thanks.
: --
: bigwheel

Too bad you have no nice soup vegetables around lke onins, carrots,
celery, etc. I would eat it with a salad on the side rather than regular
bread, but I guess you have no salad vegetables either:-(

Wendy

Okay, I realize you said you had no vegi's, so recommending
swiss chard stems is beside the point, but they work like
celery without all the carbs. (Okay, you can use a celery
stem as a seasoning, but then the rest of the batch goes bad
waiting for the next seasoning incident. Chards don't
last a week.)

I keep some frozen vegis around just in case I can not find any
fresh ones. Use about six frozen baby carrots in my chicken broth.
Someday, maybe I will look up broccoli cheese soup.

-T

Old 17-03-2013, 02:17 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 03/15/2013 11:00 PM, Billy wrote:
: What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup?

: Isn't that called "Hot Water"?
You can do things like chicken soup that are not fatty(let it cool in the
fridge andremove any fat on the top ) and add lots of onions, carrots,
celery, parsnip, dill, at the end. FGBP and serve with onion powder to
sprinkle in place of salt. Low lots of things. I like to add some curry
to the soup to give it a bit ofa lift that salt usually gives it. Worked
for me when I was supposed to be low salt. Now my bp is117/70 with 1/12
the meds i used to take, so I don't have to worry at all about salt.

Wendy
Old 17-03-2013, 02:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Todd wrote:
: On 03/16/2013 02:38 PM, W. Baker wrote:
: bigwheel wrote:
:
:
: : Sounds mighty yummy. Thanks for the recipe. I have a pot of turkey soup
: : going as we speak..made from a leftover smoked turkey carcass. Its
: : tasting purty good but dont have any veggies to go in it..also no
: : noodles..sniff sniff. Thought about dumplings or rice but heck..who
: : needs all those unhealthy carbs huh? Think I just eat it sorta clear and
: : have the bread on the side. Do you think that would be a good plan? Or
: : any other good ideas would appreciated. Thanks.
: : --
: : bigwheel
:
: Too bad you have no nice soup vegetables around lke onins, carrots,
: celery, etc. I would eat it with a salad on the side rather than regular
: bread, but I guess you have no salad vegetables either:-(
:
: Wendy
:

: Okay, I realize you said you had no vegi's, so recommending
: swiss chard stems is beside the point, but they work like
: celery without all the carbs. (Okay, you can use a celery
: stem as a seasoning, but then the rest of the batch goes bad
: waiting for the next seasoning incident. Chards don't
: last a week.)

: I keep some frozen vegis around just in case I can not find any
: fresh ones. Use about six frozen baby carrots in my chicken broth.
: Someday, maybe I will look up broccoli cheese soup.

: -T

Ce;ery was the onoy food my Father maintained actually took weight off.
He said it contained fewer calories than it took to chew it up:-) plenty
of celery in soup, also use it with dips, etc instead of chips, etc.

Wendy
Old 17-03-2013, 02:24 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

bigwheel wrote:

[...]

You can buy celery here by the rib.

Old 17-03-2013, 06:07 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Billy wrote:

What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.

Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can be
salt free if you need it:

A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion and a
quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.

After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice of
rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly 100 g
of each kind to 1 kg meat.

Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.

Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I think.

Old 17-03-2013, 11:59 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
Bjrn Steensrud wrote:

Billy wrote:

What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.

Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can be
salt free if you need it:

A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion and a
quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.

After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice of
rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly 100 g
of each kind to 1 kg meat.

Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.

Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I think.

I'll give it a try, thanks.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 18-03-2013, 01:04 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"W. Baker" wrote:

Todd wrote:
: On 03/15/2013 11:00 PM, Billy wrote:
: What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup?

: Isn't that called "Hot Water"?
You can do things like chicken soup that are not fatty(let it cool in the
fridge andremove any fat on the top ) and add lots of onions, carrots,
celery, parsnip, dill, at the end. FGBP and serve with onion powder to
sprinkle in place of salt. Low lots of things. I like to add some curry
to the soup to give it a bit ofa lift that salt usually gives it. Worked
for me when I was supposed to be low salt. Now my bp is117/70 with 1/12
the meds i used to take, so I don't have to worry at all about salt.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy. I like these soups because you can control the amount of
carbs, fats, and salt in them.

I particularly like

Mexican Chicken Soup

1 lb (usually less) Boneless/skinless chicken thighs
2 stalks of celery - thinly sliced
1 large carrot - thinly sliced
1 medium onion - finely chopped
1 to 2 14 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 to 5 14 oz cans chicken broth (or homemade stock)
1 teaspoon dried thyme + 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
1package (usually a cup or less of whole wheat) egg noodles, cooked
1 serrano pepper, finely diced
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
juice from 2-3 limes

I use "Kitchen Basics" no salt added broth (650mg NaCl/L).

I have the best B.P. that money can buy at 115/65 on average.

We never had salt on the table, but now I have to watch for it in broth,
tomato sauce, pickles, pepperocini. As a result, most of our meals are
made from scratch.

I guess my grail in my quest for a soup would be something like a
minestrone (beans & pasta adjustable), but so far I haven't found one I
really like.

Thanks again for the outline of the soup.

--
Welcome to the New America.
or

Old 18-03-2013, 02:36 AM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Thanks for the heads up on Chard. I heard of it but never seen any up close. Course I was full grown before ever trying broccoli and calliflower so guess there aint much mystery to that one. Now this is the first I heard that celery is loaded up with carbs. Richard Simmons always say it burn off more calories to chew it than you get from it. This science changes fast..lol Or he wasn't worried about carbs maybe.
Old 18-03-2013, 02:52 AM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjørn Steensrud View Post
Billy wrote:

What have you got in a low fat, low carb, low salt soup? Cooking soup
with bacon, or ham shanks is too easy, and deadly for some of us.

Well, I guess this one isn't low carb exactly, but it's low fat and can be
salt free if you need it:

A winter favorite he the cheapest beef cut you can get, slice off the
fat, simmer (in water, no stock!) for ~2 hours with a quartered onion and a
quartered carrot, a bay leaf or two and some whole black peppercorns.

After an hour and a half, add vegetables: sliced carrots, a cubed slice of
rutabaga, parsley root, celery root, a bit of cut-up cabbage. Roughly 100 g
of each kind to 1 kg meat.

Remove meat and keep warm while serving the soup. Then serve meat with
whatever sauce you like, I do an onion sweet-and-sour sauce.

Had it today - I've heard of "pulled pork", this was "pulled beef", I think.
Thanks for the recipe. Arrahhhaa..nope..that aint pulled beef. That called soup..lol. Sounds mighty tasty too. How come no stock allowed? That just dont seem fair. As Emeril say..Water takes away flavor..stock adds flavor. Are we trying to dodge fat or salt here? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff.

Old 18-03-2013, 03:43 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/17/2013 07:36 PM, bigwheel wrote:

[...]

Hi Big,

Celery may taste a little better than chard so soup, but it is
pretty close.

Celery Raw:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2396/2

One cup chopped: 3 grams carbs.

Okay for seasoning, but you wouldn't want to munch on them.

-T
Old 18-03-2013, 03:44 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 03/16/2013 07:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
You can buy celery here by the rib.

Mumble, mumble.

Old 18-03-2013, 04:26 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Why in the world wouldn't you want to munch on them? They're very low in
carbs. If you think 3 grams is a lot of carbs for a cup, then I sure feel
sorry for you!

Old 18-03-2013, 04:27 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message
On 03/16/2013 07:24 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
You can buy celery here by the rib.

Mumble, mumble.

What's that supposed to mean?

Old 18-03-2013, 04:50 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

?B?QmrDuHJu?= Steensrud wrote:
Billy wrote:

[...]

My daughter surprised me with corned beef and cabbage for St. Paddy's Day,
today. Not salty or spiced, with carrots and a little potato. Really good.
Enough broth for a nice soup, too. Manyana.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

Got a favourite fruit? jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 145 25-02-2016 06:19 PM
Favourite Tea jsjohnsmith Tea 26 24-01-2014 09:49 AM
my favourite bbq Peek Oil Barbecue 0 27-05-2008 10:13 PM
Favourite rub biig General Cooking 33 10-07-2006 06:21 AM
which is your favourite tea? Chinesetea Tea 30 29-08-2005 05:27 AM